Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MASS EFFECT 5 - yes or no

JDR13

Arcane
Eh? I think Bioware is pretty much done as a developer of single-player RPGs. The quality of their games has been declining for years.

I remember when I used to get really excited by news of their next title. Now it's just "meh...ok".

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
I know Bioware is on huge decline since DAII but i think they will reborn and deliver good titles again. New Dragon Age will be solid and i wish for new ME to follow.
Once Bioware was great mark for crpgs i think they will get back to their best times, humans falls down often only to rise up again. I still have faith in Bioware anyway.
I wish they leave Anthem back and get to work on new ME.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Mass Effect games were better than Marvel movies at the time.

All three of them were fun. For one playthrough.

JDR13

Arcane
I know Bioware is on huge decline since DAII but i think they will reborn and deliver good titles again. New Dragon Age will be solid and i wish for new ME to follow.
Once Bioware was great mark for crpgs i think they will get back to their best times, humans falls down often only to rise up again. I still have faith in Bioware anyway.
I wish they leave Anthem back and get to work on new ME.

:hahyou:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Mass Effect: Not Even Once +M

Once was OK.

2 wasn't completely without merit. Sure it was shit as an RPG, but I did enjoy going around places like the Citadel, listening in on conversations and interacting with random people. It's the same thing that made me love VtMB, albeit in way smaller measure. But I don't need to point out that today's Bioware isn't capable of that.

3 wasn't that terrible either.
I mean, if you dared to double click the exe, the game launched...

Takamori

Learned
Until ME 2 was bearable, went full popamole on 3 without cerimony. Andromeda I'm already old enough to not give EA money anymore, I think I drew the line when DA2 released.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
BioWare basically fucked themselves over with ME3, which ME:A is a clear indication of. They trashed the setting so badly they had to move the story to another galaxy to maintain a plausible narrative.

I'm still not quite sure how the whole of EA and BioWare managed to fuck up the juggernaut that Mass Effect was shaping up to be so thoroughly. I'm specifically talking about the ending of ME3, since that's what most normalfags seem to be upset about and focus on. All they really had to do was write an ending that wasn't so final (and retarded) and gave them a little wiggle room.

Something like "The Citadel races defeat the big bad but the galaxy is now in a bad shape after a near-extinction level event" which leaves ample opportunity for more stories to be told in the galaxy after the Reapers were taken care of.

There's really no point in another Mass Effect game after ME3 poisoned the well and ME:A evaporated whatever goodwill was left at the bottom.

Sykar

Arcane
tenor.gif

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
The offline MMO design is bullshit, yes, but the strengths of the series were always story, visuals and atmosphere. If a hypothetical ME5 could deliver on those aspects, I'd play it.
I am aware of that, and I get how you feel, but I don't think they have the talent anymore to deliver on that.
BioWare basically fucked themselves over with ME3, which ME:A is a clear indication of. They trashed the setting so badly they had to move the story to another galaxy to maintain a plausible narrative.

I'm still not quite sure how the whole of EA and BioWare managed to fuck up the juggernaut that Mass Effect was shaping up to be so thoroughly. I'm specifically talking about the ending of ME3, since that's what most normalfags seem to be upset about and focus on. All they really had to do was write an ending that wasn't so final (and retarded) and gave them a little wiggle room.

Something like "The Citadel races defeat the big bad but the galaxy is now in a bad shape after a near-extinction level event" which leaves ample opportunity for more stories to be told in the galaxy after the Reapers were taken care of.

There's really no point in another Mass Effect game after ME3 poisoned the well and ME:A evaporated whatever goodwill was left at the bottom.
Here's the thing, the only thing preventing Bioware from continuing from ME3 is their own incompetence. The red ending killed off the reapers and left Shepard alive, if barely. There's your traditional good ending right there. The new protagonist is some new Spectre watching over the rebuilding of galactic civilization and maybe they can even meet Shepard. The blue ending can also be easily continued from, after all, even if the reapers remain good, they're not much use in small-scale conflicts. You can even have a plot where maybe the reapers are turning bad again or whatever. And a skilled writer could continue from the green ending, just go hard on the transhumanism.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
In Blue Ending Sheapard could pull a Revan: one day dissappear with the rest of the Reapers, pursuing some unknown quest. Without any word of warning or explanation.

Lack of Reaper police force would reinvigorate all the old conflicts of the galaxy, which is still licking its wounds after the last great war.

Protagonists of the game would travel through the many systems, solving minor conflicts and gathering clues to establish where Shepard went and why, in hope that his return would stop the galaxy from tearing itself apart.

In the end they would learn that Shepard is not coming back anytime soon. Together with the Reaper fleet he's facing a new threat from beyond the Milky Way, once again protecting the galaxy with his life. And he is slowly loosing the battle. So in the second part of the trilogy the crew would become major peacekeers, trying to sort out any problems and unite all forces before the coming storm.

Third part would tell the story of the final confrontation with the Unknown Threat, together with the remnant of the Reaper fleet. And there Shepard (who could, in some form, become a party member, albeit not directly controlled) would meet his last and final, heroic death.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Only way to pull it off without making it a prequel set in the first contact war is to change the ending of 3 and disavow andromeda.

People want to continue playing in the universe setup by the first 3 games, not some weird shit set in another galaxy.

Lemming42

Arcane
Seriously still don't get Mass Effect. The setting is so fucking boring, it's almost entirely just shit you've already seen in Star Trek and elsewhere, except done worse. The fact that virtually all problems are solved with at least some kind of violence (with Paragon only letting you avoid a fraction of the killing) makes the whole thing even more boring, it's difficult to care about the setting or characters when you kill like 500 faceless, nameless people every single day. Combine that with the fact that every other conversation you get into is shameless wish fulfilment shit where people trip over themselves to tell Shepard (your gay self-insert) how cool s/he is, and the game is a cringe cocktail powerful enough to send anyone with an emotional age higher than 13 running in the opposite direction.

It is on par with a lot of TV sci-fi though - I hated shit like Babylon 5 and Firefly that everyone loves, and Mass Effect definitely feels reminiscent of them in a lot of ways, so there you go.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Sure why not. It's not like bioware has anything better to do.

I was about to respond, and then I realized this is a pretty solid argument.

And at least it keeps those devs there, and not spreading out elsewhere.

At the least, the development process reports and result itself will be entertaining without actually having to buy it or play it, so free entertainment is free entertainment.

J1M

Arcane
As a sci-fi nut I love the universe and visuals. The gameplay has always been flawed or even bad IMO, but I'd play a 5th one anyway for the other aspects. If I can get through Andromeda for the setting and such, I can get through damn near anything.
The heart of Mass Effect is the voice acting talents of Mark Meer (Shepard) and Neil Ross (codex narrator).

J1M

Arcane
In Blue Ending Sheapard could pull a Revan: one day dissappear with the rest of the Reapers, pursuing some unknown quest. Without any word of warning or explanation.

Lack of Reaper police force would reinvigorate all the old conflicts of the galaxy, which is still licking its wounds after the last great war.

Protagonists of the game would travel through the many systems, solving minor conflicts and gathering clues to establish where Shepard went and why, in hope that his return would stop the galaxy from tearing itself apart.

In the end they would learn that Shepard is not coming back anytime soon. Together with the Reaper fleet he's facing a new threat from beyond the Milky Way, once again protecting the galaxy with his life. And he is slowly loosing the battle. So in the second part of the trilogy the crew would become major peacekeers, trying to sort out any problems and unite all forces before the coming storm.

Third part would tell the story of the final confrontation with the Unknown Threat, together with the remnant of the Reaper fleet. And there Shepard (who could, in some form, become a party member, albeit not directly controlled) would meet his last and final, heroic death.
No.

In a setting as vast and full of possibilities as the entire galaxy it is extremely boring and stupid to continue revisiting the reapers. They should have been sidelined/removed from the plot after the first game. The threat was dealt with, and knowledge that thousands of years from now it would need to be dealt with again is an interesting plot hook for Liara side quests or whatever, but not for multiple sequels.

Bioware should do what it did for the rest of Mass Effect: borrow heavily from other settings for antagonist ideas. The situation surrounding the Geth is way more interesting than the reapers ever can be. They need a variety of antagonists, not a singular foe to revisit over and over.

Last edited:

Padzi

Arbiter
Today's Bioware has only one metric they use for success:

How many gays, lesbos, and cuck memes can I fit into this game?

That bull romance is so gay. Yikes. Although you will all deny it, I bet the entire codex larped to it.

The word you were looking for was "fapped".

Romancing the Bull was extre cringe, especially if you played as a Dwarf.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom