Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Larian Hate Poll: Has your opinion about Larian Studios changed?

Which one of these statements most accurately describes your opinion of Larian Studios?

• Total voters

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Reading the Codex five years ago after the release of the first Divinity: Original Sin, one could get the impression that Larian were the new perfect RPG developer who could do no wrong, showing Obsidian and inXile how it's done. That's clearly not the case anymore. Let's try to find out to what extent Codex opinions on Larian have actually changed.

Vibalist

Arcane
I don't hate them, I just think their games have glaring flaws that need to be fixed before they can be considered truly great.
But as prototypes for what RPG's can do, DOS 1 and 2 are magnificent.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I liked the DOS very much and I still like it, but I don't like DOS2, so I went with the second option.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I didn't care about Larian before Divnity : Original Sin because action-RPGs. I really liked Divinity : Original Sin, I generally prefer more D&d-ish systems like Blackguards or Dungeon Rats stuff but as a one-shot crazy spells kind of made up for this, lost initial hype about D:OS2 when they were going to introduce romances especially, truth is that I have not even played D:OS 2 yet, for multiple reasons like romances but also my very bad rig.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
None of their games was great, or bad for that matter. DoS1 is no exception, to me. Didn't think DoS2 was decline or anything, it was alright, I liked it. The backlash mostly has something to do with their success. Success brings its own burdens, it's never going to be without faults ; when you have success you have to prove that you still have the fire to create, which is often not the case. They're big boys now, so they have to take the heat ; but they still are doing the small, sympathetic act, which is more or less hypocritical. Not only talking about Sven's antics either ; they're doing EA for BG3, which is really inappropriate for a game with a budget this big : EA means that the public is working for you, which is fine for indie games with incremental development, but with a linear game about cinematics, what the fuck are they even doing.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
reverted the genre back to the 90's, instead of developing skyrim killer they've made some kind of fuckign chess for retards lmao

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
tenor.gif

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
What do I pick for: "I like old Larian games, I dislike Original Sin, I am hyped for BG3"?

OS are overhyped pieces of trash, but going back Divine Divinity and Ego Draconis are absolutely deece. Dragon Commander is Dragon Commander I guess. But I hope BG3 will be more Ego Draconis quality than Original Sin quality due to what has been shown so far.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I really enjoyed the combat in Original Sin, but I found the 2nd game very disappointing. I wish they'd just stuck to the formula of the first game.

I don't exactly have massively high hopes for BG3 at this point.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
D:OS impressiveness faded fast, after the first combat runs, then you realized how lackluster the game really was in all other departments, mostly story and C&C.

D:OS simply has nothing going for it other than COMBAT, which they managed to royally fuck up in D:OS 2, which is laughable.

Larian are 100 % overrated on the internet, and even here. They're not totally incompetent and talentless, but they don't deserve all the hype and praise, because they release mediocre and downright disappointing content.

D:OS 2 did nothing new, and was basically a reskinned D:OS 1.5 essentially.

D:OS 1 enhanced edition was even worse than vanilla, a feat which kind of flabbergasted me.

Will I even play Baldurs Gate 3? At this point, I don't think so.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
The early access really kills it for me. Shady, scummy. Can't respect a developer of Larian's financial means releasing a game in early access.

Then again, while I did like both D:OS and D:OS 2, I always disliked the 'Theme Park' design. With something 'crazy' around every corner, everything crammed in together, and the game world never feeling 'real' or 'lived-in.' That matters to me, in an RPG, I'm sorry. I was always worried about them doing Baldur's Gate, mainly because I expect the city itself to just be 10 buildings, 300 NPCs in the streets and 7 beds between them. I can kiss 'feeling immersed' goodbye straight away. Ultimately not that big of a deal, I'm sure the game will still be fun, it'll be an alright game. Won't be as good as BG or BG 2 because it really can't be, because of the way it'll be designed, so kinda why bother, but fine.

Yeah though, you add the early access scam on top of that and, whatever.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I feel very neutral towards Larian: I can't say I dislike their games, but I'm not a "fan". I enjoyed D:OS and D:OS2 - now with hot undead sex and lizard on lizard action - , but I would still exchange both games for a proper Pillars of Eternity 3.

Repressed Homosexual
I only liked Divine Divinity and Divinity 2.

DOS I found unbearable. As soon as I realize that they threw so much pretentious dialogue, which goes for hours and hours and hours, I couldn't bear it anymore and stopped playing. I want a game, not hours of clicking dialogue trees and dozens of NPCs none of which I can remember.

Just thinking about this game gives me a headache.

I miss Divine Divinity and the exploration, the lighthearted fun, the humor.

Goldschmidt

Learned
Larian will rape BG3 in the mouth. Originally Larian was on the true path with Divinity's real time combat. But they abandoned their origins with inferior TB combat comboed with horrible camera controls. So I picked the last option.

As soon as Swen comes home from his wedding with his 15th underaged slave wife, I'll come from under the bed and slice his throat with my barbarian axe. The reaper is coming for you.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fucking incompetent. They promise Mac and Linux versions in the Kickstarter. Unsurprisingly, those versions get delayed. Then more delays. And more delays. Eventually they announce only the Enhanced Edition will be coming to Mac and Linux. That gets delayed. The console versions come out. Another delay. And then it finally comes out on Mac and Linux a full year and a half fucking later after the Windows version. The dumbshits apparently didn't make sure that their middleware worked on other operating systems before making promises they couldn't fulfill.

Varnaan

Augur
I've always liked Larian, ever since I played Divine Divinity.
I even went out of my way to buy the boxset they released that included all their games and complete soundtracks around the Original Sin announcement.

It seems I also am in the minority that didn't enjoy OS much but absolutely loved OS2.
The only one of their games I haven't played is Commander because I don't really care for that kind of games.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I heard a lot of good things about DOS and bought when it was just released. Instead of a classic turn based Rpg I got a failed comedy multiplayer barrel shooting game with some of the clunkiest UI and party management in this day and age.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don’t have time to hate Larian. They make passable to good games that have the right base ideas, even though the execution isn’t always flawless.

That’s that.

V_K

Arcane
I picked the third option, but it's not entirely correct - for a while, I did succumb to DOS hype (and to be frank, there are some good aspects to that game). But that ended fast. And DOS2 was absolute shit.

Guvide

Educated
Divine Divinity and Divinity 2 are some of my favorite actions games. They both have a unique charm of their own that I found impossible not to love. Neither are masterpieces, with both of them having not so great combat systems (which for an action RPG is important to have), but they made up for it with everything else.

D:OS on the other hand was a very "meh" experience. The combat was fun, but everything else was either ok (puzzles) or downright abysmal (pretty much everything else, especially writing and world building).

D:OS 2 was more of the same except they took some asinine decision with regards to the combat system. Some of which, such as bloat and armor, were fixable through mods luckily. The writing was maybe a bit better, but perhaps it was just me getting used to the awfulness. Overall it was one step forward, one step back.

I expect BG 3 to be a bit better than the OS games, if only for the fact that the system used will avoid some problems with the older titles such as numbers bloat and RNG loot, but the writing and world building are going to be shit. The BG games, for all their flaws, at least managed to convey a sense of place. The OS worlds are nothing more than glorified amusement parks.

Larian have definitely declined as time went on. Their action games were better than their tactical titles.

Gregz

Arcane
Divine Divinity and Divinity II: Ego Draconis are great games

D:OS 1 was pretty good, until the EE pass, everything since then has been really poorly designed.

I wish they would look very carefully at whomever was responsible for the D:OS 1 EE pass and sack them.

On the bright side, Larian somehow has sense enough to offer both versions of D:OS 1 on steam:

Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition on Steam
decline.png

Divinity: Original Sin (Classic) on Steam
incline.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom