Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Decent strategy games that aren't commercially available.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Original Star Controls are currently unavailable because Stardock vs Toys for Bob legal spat.

List will only mention the first because it is only sort of decent strategy game on series.
Legal dispute is over and games are available again.
Removed entry for SC 1 from the list.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Not related, Haemimont's 2005 Warcraft 3-like Rising Kingdoms is getting re-release on Steam:

ss_201605e4018da4658177ac9b5ad7451a87840f06.600x338.jpg
ss_e37afe2ae0bc6bb96434ede294f3f5b15ece3e31.600x338.jpg

I'll edit the list after the re-release.

sser

Arcane
Developer
There was an RTS in the early 2000s that involved you 'filming' stuff (riffing on the Iraq Wars presentations) for morale and all that. I don't know if it's on any platform because I feel like I haven't seen it anywhere.

*For the longest time I couldn't find it until I just manually went through a wiki of RTS games by years. Here it is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conflict_Zone

upload_2019-7-24_21-1-25.png

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Some games I've spent a lot of time on despite all of them ultimately being quite limited :

Dragon Breath (Dragon Lord) : https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/dragon-lord
6673-dragon-lord-dos-screenshot-hatching-a-dragon-egg.gif
6671-dragon-lord-dos-screenshot-zooming-in-on-the-map.gif

You raise dragons, make them raid towns. The goal of the game is to find 3 macguffins and two dragons get to fight each other when they're going to the same town. In theory you can control the dragons in a shmup style, in practice I never managed to, I killed like 2 people while automatic would kill 400. Also allows for local multi, which is fluid, turns are short. Game has some kickass music :
Storm Master : https://www.mobygames.com/game/storm-master
429868-storm-master-atari-st-screenshot-from-here-you-can-send-spied.png
429863-storm-master-atari-st-screenshot-this-ship-wont-fly.png

Its steampunk theme and graphics sure are great, but for the rest the game is nothing special. There are 5 levels of difficulty (with an associated story from flourishing empire to plague), in the 4 first difficulties you buy some ships and win in 5 minutes, but int hardest difficulty you need to do some management. Most fun part of the game is spending hours creating new ships from parts which generally can't fly.

Also, since GoG sells emulated version of Wings, Celtic Legends : https://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/celtic-legends
Create mages, make then gain some levels, create big units and buff them to max, win. No variety as campaign advances so the game gets a bit repetitive.
224356-celtic-legends-amiga-screenshot-main-game-screen.png
224358-celtic-legends-amiga-screenshot-battle-tower-in-the-background.png

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Last edited by a moderator:

Guvide

Educated
There is an older title from 1998 I believe, called WarBreeds. I played a demo of it back in the day, so I don't know if it was any good or not, but the mechanics were interesting at least. The action took place on an alien planet and you had this conflict between 3 or 4 alien races. You gathered resources by finding these patches of arable land and then planting various plants on them. But the most stand out feature was that you could collect DNA from fallen enemy units and then splice it with your own, essentially allowing you to make custom units.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/warbreeds

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Thanks for the list.

I loved Battle for Middle Earth 2. If any others did, BFME and BFME2/RotWK had their mulitplayer communities resurrected thanks to T3A: Online. There's detailed guides on their forums if you need it.

On top of that, there's also some mods to made them a little easier on the eyes by modern standards:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom