Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
The scholarly MagicAIDS had a thing on Jace. Still not sure it'll really supercharge Jace since you have to play a 4cmc do-nothing enchantment that THEN goes berserk, but hey.

You're right, no Seb in Zendikar for some reason. And I haven't been over the moon for the cards but I also haven't been looking over the spoilers much. Some millshit looks fun but eh. Last set I went ham on was Ravnica Allegiance for some reason. Fucking loved that shit, especially Orzhov. I normally like playing Izzet-like decks more but the spirit tokens were so fucking neat. And Teysa doubling 'em up. Liked the stompy Gruul shit in there too, it had things like krasis which were a pain but that's the set I probably bought into the heaviest on MTGA, even though War of the Spark was the one I did a preorder on. Which I don't really regret, helped bump my wildcards up and I've been riding that ever since.

that jace trick is p funny but people are running so much enchantment/artifact hate right now (because of lucky clover) that nothing will ever stick for more than a turn unless I get really lucky. probably would be sick in brawl though, along with the 1 mana cyclers to draw a shit ton. Jace on his own though just looks really good to me; really hard for opp to kill on turn 3 and being able to scry 2 every turn is really strong

flavor in RNA was so awesome, orzhov and azorius are my fav RNA guilds so playing draft especially was insanely fun, especially since it was actually just a good set to draft too. Gonna miss the ravnica cards (except the broken shit like nissa). not really into zrn flavor, which is weird cuz I love exploring forests and shit, but the art seems kinda unfocused and all over the place with random flying cubes thrown in. feels more like a core set to me than anything.

full art lands look good tho i'll probably pick up a set as long as they don't charge like a million dollars or whatever

New set looks good to me aswell. Unsure how much of it will see play tho, I think Uro+Landfall will be on a wholly different powerlevel than those party shenanigans they are trying to push.

I think party synergies will be ok in draft but there's no way in hell it'll work in constructed. hard enough to get two combo pieces onto a board but party wants like 4 and then a payoff card on top of it, and the payoffs don't immediately win you the game lol.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think party synergies will be ok in draft but there's no way in hell it'll work in constructed. hard enough to get two combo pieces onto a board but party wants like 4 and then a payoff card on top of it, and the payoffs don't immediately win you the game lol.

I want to try to hit the dream opening, but the deck is probably gonna be way too weak.

T1:
archpriestofiona.jpg

T2:
tajuruparagon.jpg

T3:
tazribeaconofunity2.jpg

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Incredible deal in the shop today, 500 gems for 2k gold or 400 gems. Only 5 hours left, take it while its hot.

Fucking hell. Played some standard 2021 today and now every single deck (EVERY SINGLE ONE) is running 4x Brazen Borrower. Looks like simic adventure's pretty popular in there at the moment since you bounce/ramp/mill yourself/play infinite Uro/have a giant wishboard.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Fucking hell. Played some standard 2021 today and now every single deck (EVERY SINGLE ONE) is running 4x Brazen Borrower. Looks like simic adventure's pretty popular in there at the moment since you bounce/ramp/mill yourself/play infinite Uro/have a giant wishboard.

Luckily that deck has pretty binary matchups. Sniping the clover on T2 or T3 just ends the game.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I was watching a bit of the epic mythic historic esports event thing yesterday and was reminded of how eternally grateful I should be that they banned cauldron familiar from standard.
almost every match had AT LEAST one slow playing douche with cat+oven on the battlefield roping every step with their 5d-chess 2000 iq decision making "DO I SACK THE CAT NOW HMMMMM DO I ACTIVATE TRAIL OF CRUMBS HMMMM" it's so awful

brazen was auto include in every deck with blue color since it got introduced... Dont hate it, I assume your hate is actually towards adventures.
I think milling rogues will have favorable matchup % against adventures.
I don't particularly hate it, it's a good card but not insanely powerful, it's just obnoxious when you play 5+ games and every single one of them your opponents play 3 borrowers against you, somehow. Not only all running the card but seemingly having all of the fuckers in their hands.

Ended up playing some green stompy today since I had a green quest, and then I got a salty timeout against another green stompy deck since he used up his gemrazers as a +4/+4 on his stonecoils and then I played my great henge and he was pissed.

spectre

Arcane
Apparently, we have a roadmap:
dev_roadmap_768.png

So, Kaladesh remastered is coming at some point, and my collection of shit Amunkptkphp is still very basic.
Which means, I'm going to have to make a choice between keeping up with standard and historic, especially if pioneer masters is going to be a thing.

What the fuck is play blade? Turns out it's the UI thing where you select play modes. Good on them.

Mobile. MOBILE. Interesting to see Pioneer Masters got bumped presumably into 2021 given it's with Strixhaven and after Kaldheim, thought they were sneaking that out 2020.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
My youtube feed is constantly suggesting videos for Dimir Flash Rogue + Mill deck lists
am very worried
I really hope that deck turns out to be unplayable ugh
but it seems quite pushed by wotc

that 4 cmc dude that flashes in attacking during combat then steals a permanent every time it hits face
that's really gonna be some shit
yikes

Now this is some MTG. 69 triggers on the stack for casting abyss on my opponent while I have dreams up and he's got two tutelage. The fact that he clicked through for every single trigger on tutelage and then had a really long pause when I milled out but didn't explode since I wasn't drawing kinda tells me he didn't know that it's drawing from an empty library that kills you, not emptying out itself.

:kingcomrade:
H2LETlJ.jpg

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
My youtube feed is constantly suggesting videos for Dimir Flash Rogue + Mill deck lists
am very worried
I really hope that deck turns out to be unplayable ugh
but it seems quite pushed by wotc

that 4 cmc dude that flashes in attacking during combat then steals a permanent every time it hits face
that's really gonna be some shit
yikes

again, rogues are just about hitting that 8 cards in graveyard quickly, not about milling you. Cards you should be worried about are what flash rogues enable quickly(in standard):
lochness counterspell
1 mana quench
2 mana quench that can turn into ultimate counter spell

right, I just think the deck's going to be extremely popular at least for the first two weeks
and it actually looks really strong
which is annoying because I don't particularly like playing against "draw go + if you don't deal with this flashed in threat immediately you lose + 1/3 of my deck is 2 mana counterspells"

spectre

Arcane
enemy had clover on the field and did cast fae. I have countered right one with ashiok erasure.
Then after stack got empty my enemy did proceed to cast another fae... Wtf is that? Does ashiok erase creature spell even if sorcery part was cast, basically not allowing me to forbid annoying fae ever?

I think it goes like this: Erasure exiled the adventure called "Granted", but the card in the Exile zone is Faya of Wishes. So, they shouldn't be able to cast it as a creature, but can still cast Granted.

Here's the (probably) relevant ruling:
  • An adventurer card is a creature card in every zone except the stack, as well as while on the stack if not cast as an Adventure. Ignore its alternative characteristics in those cases. For example, while it's in your graveyard, Giant Killer is a white creature card whose converted mana cost is 1. It can't be the target of the triggered ability of Mystic Sanctuary.
I went back to historic Bo3 to finish my climbing for the season. Standard and Standard 21 was pretty fucking obnoxious, it's either shamrock, or uro, and every now and then shamrock AND uro.
I think Standard needs an Abrade reprint. Few decks tick me off, but I always hate the environment in which shamrock is a top tier contender.

spectre

Arcane
The land side is considered to be the back face of the card, so if you exile the spell part, it should work normally - it's exiled and can't be cast. The land card can still be played, because play =! cast.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom