Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frogwares' The Sinking City - that other Cthulhu game

JDR13

Arcane
Haven't played this yet, but I was disappointed with the new CoC.

CoC is terrible. It's a joke that they advertised it as an RPG.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is this game or the new Call of Cthulhu game better? I'm looking at my backlog and it's yuge and I'm wondering which game I should prioritize. Lots of mixed opinions in this thread, anyone have played them both and can tell me how they compare?
I played both. Sinking City is about a million times better imo but I liked CoC okay and didn't regret playing it.
In your situation I regretfully recommend CoC, strictly because it is about 10 hours and TSC is at least 3x that long. If you're hot to clear titles out of the backlog there's only one choice.

Nyx

Novice
Haven't played this yet, but I was disappointed with the new CoC.
Why didn't you like it? I liked the old CoC games, both of them.
Is this game or the new Call of Cthulhu game better? I'm looking at my backlog and it's yuge and I'm wondering which game I should prioritize. Lots of mixed opinions in this thread, anyone have played them both and can tell me how they compare?
I played both. Sinking City is about a million times better imo but I liked CoC okay and didn't regret playing it.
In your situation I regretfully recommend CoC, strictly because it is about 10 hours and TSC is at least 3x that long. If you're hot to clear titles out of the backlog there's only one choice.
Thank you, then I can wait and see if Sinking City will be out on GOG when I have made my way to it. The new CoC is on GOG so I can buy it there in the next sale and get it off my list. From reading this thread it seems that TSC is kinda bloated and should have been shorter and more focused, what makes CoC worse? It seems more compact and compressed.

Nyx

Novice

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Gave it a try. Mostly a mistake.
You meet the King in Yellow, an ape man, a fish man and kill your first eldrich monster within the first 10 minutes of the game, if the term "Lynchian" reefers to something that combines the mundane with the macabre this game would be a combination of the bizarre with the utterly boring, I call this completely new trend: "poorly written".
I expected the combat to be shit, and it was but I had some expectations for the puzzles and they turned out to be just as shallow if not more.

If anyone besides the graphics slaves had any talent this could have been passable but it's just bad on every level besides the short-lived novelty of 3d lovecrafts.

What did you expect, game development was outsourced to some sweatshop in Ukraine, half way the sweatshop believes they were a great developer studio, sell off the game to Epic and break off with their publisher. The thing has Schadenfreude written all over it.

orcinator

Liturgist
Gave it a try. Mostly a mistake.
You meet the King in Yellow, an ape man, a fish man and kill your first eldrich monster within the first 10 minutes of the game, if the term "Lynchian" reefers to something that combines the mundane with the macabre this game would be a combination of the bizarre with the utterly boring, I call this completely new trend: "poorly written".
I expected the combat to be shit, and it was but I had some expectations for the puzzles and they turned out to be just as shallow if not more.

If anyone besides the graphics slaves had any talent this could have been passable but it's just bad on every level besides the short-lived novelty of 3d lovecrafts.

What did you expect, game development was outsourced to some sweatshop in Ukraine, half way the sweatshop believes they were a great developer studio, sell off the game to Epic and break off with their publisher. The thing has Schadenfreude written all over it.
Nothing, but it still disappointed.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Thank you, then I can wait and see if Sinking City will be out on GOG when I have made my way to it. The new CoC is on GOG so I can buy it there in the next sale and get it off my list. From reading this thread it seems that TSC is kinda bloated and should have been shorter and more focused, what makes CoC worse? It seems more compact and compressed.

To be fair you can just mainline the "main quest" in TSC and be done in half the time probably. Very few of the upgrades are that important, so you don't need to "level up," and the side stuff uses ammo as much as it gives it. I just found myself doing the side stuff because of how genuinely good the storytelling and atmosphere were. Anyway, the game's as long as you want it to be, is the point. Still a decent length with just the main quest, but not annoyingly long. Just stop doing side stuff when you feel boredom brewing.

Nyx

Novice

To be fair you can just mainline the "main quest" in TSC and be done in half the time probably. Very few of the upgrades are that important, so you don't need to "level up," and the side stuff uses ammo as much as it gives it. I just found myself doing the side stuff because of how genuinely good the storytelling and atmosphere were. Anyway, the game's as long as you want it to be, is the point. Still a decent length with just the main quest, but not annoyingly long. Just stop doing side stuff when you feel boredom brewing.
Since I'm a completionist that is literally impossible for me to do.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
To be fair you can just mainline the "main quest" in TSC and be done in half the time probably.
Since I'm a completionist that is literally impossible for me to do.
Completionist or not, it would be a shame to rush Sinking City. I played with a controller just so I could walk from place to place with the analog stick instead of doing the "video game jog". I hope when you do find the time for it you take the time to savor it.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Game's on sale for the Switch ($12 for the game, $24 for the ultimate edition or whatever).

But what's particularly interesting is that in the Switch store it has Frogwares listed as the dev/pub. It looks like the Switch version is actually the ultimohombre of the game as far as official platforms go -- apparently Frogwares self-published it there? And the DLCs seem Switch-specific.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
But what's particularly interesting is that in the Switch store it has Frogwares listed as the dev/pub. It looks like the Switch version is actually the ultimohombre of the game as far as official platforms go -- apparently Frogwares self-published it there? And the DLCs seem Switch-specific.

I mean I'm sure it looks and performs by far the worst, so it depends on what "ultimohombre" means. The PC version also has a deluxe edition, so not sure what the extra Switch quests are or aren't. The game has tons to do in general though, I wouldn't let a couple DLC quests sway you much either way. I think anywhere the game is still sold, Frogwares is the publisher and gets the money. It's not sold on PS4/Xbox and Steam/GOG because they have a deal with a publisher for those that they're in a legal dispute with. If you're a PC gamer I'd recommend Gamesplanet, where it's DRM free.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Game's on sale for the Switch ($12 for the game, $24 for the ultimate edition or whatever).

too much

sser

Arcane
Developer

I mean I'm sure it looks and performs by far the worst, so it depends on what "ultimohombre" means. The PC version also has a deluxe edition, so not sure what the extra Switch quests are or aren't. The game has tons to do in general though, I wouldn't let a couple DLC quests sway you much either way. I think anywhere the game is still sold, Frogwares is the publisher and gets the money. It's not sold on PS4/Xbox and Steam/GOG because they have a deal with a publisher for those that they're in a legal dispute with. If you're a PC gamer I'd recommend Gamesplanet, where it's DRM free.

I mean the last place you can get it without going outside the main platforms. Like you said, the legal dispute has removed it off the 'shelves'. But not yet Switch, where it's listed with Frogwares as the publisher. I'm not sure if one can get a Steam key without going through shady resellers at this point, or if they will even activate at all.

Get it back on Steam and sell it to me for $12 god damn it. :argh:

Adon

Arcane

I mean the last place you can get it without going outside the main platforms. Like you said, the legal dispute has removed it off the 'shelves'. But not yet Switch, where it's listed with Frogwares as the publisher. I'm not sure if one can get a Steam key without going through shady resellers at this point, or if they will even activate at all.

You can still apparently buy it from their own website which links you to Gamesplanet.

https://store.frogwares.com

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I'm getting a "I only buy on Steam" vibe and if that's the case then whatever, but it's available on legit stores on PC. *shrug*

sser

Arcane
Developer

Get it back on Steam and sell it to me for $12 god damn it. :argh:

I got the Switch version as it was on sale.

I'm getting a "I only buy on Steam" vibe and if that's the case then whatever, but it's available on legit stores on PC. *shrug*

The discussion here is about the platform availability, not general availability.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
It's back on Steam.

Statement from Nacon https://www.globenewswire.com/fr/ne...-THAT-THE-SINKING-CITY-RETURNS-TO-STORES.html

NACON APPRISES PARTNERS
THAT THE SINKING CITY RETURNS TO STORES

Lesquin, 5 January 2021 - A dispute between NACON and Frogwares on the interpretation of the publishing contract for the video game "The Sinking City" is still pending before the French courts for several months. For the sake of transparency, Nacon wishes to inform its partners and customers that a first enforceable decision was rendered by the Paris Court of Appeal on October 28, 2020.

The Court ruled that Frogwares had terminated the contract in a "manifestly unlawful" manner and, as a result, ordered, as a "precautionary measure, the continuation of the contract (...) until its term or until a decision is made on the breach of this contract and ordered Frogwares Ireland to refrain from any action on the breach of this contract and ordered Frogwares Ireland to refrain from any action that impedes this continuation (...)".

Confirmed in its expectations by this decision and regardless of the time needed to resolve this dispute definitively, NACON is continuing its action in defense of its rights and has proceeded with the execution of this court decision by asking platforms and sites to put The Sinking City game back online so that no one is held hostage to this situation. It is however specified that insofar as some of the game's online stakes depend on the goodwill of Frogwares to perform, their absence cannot be attributed to NACON.

As of today, The Sinking City is available again for sale on the Microsoft Store for Xbox One. The game will return on Steam (PC) and PlayStation Store (PS4) at a later date.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Might I suggest supporting Frogwares and not these assholes by buying it from a site where Frogwares self-published? And getting it DRM free to boot?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Thinking their [former] publisher would just let free money walk away like that. At least I can wishlist the game now.

It's back on Steam.
:yeah:

Shame it wasn't around for the winter sale, but I'm not in a tearing rush to play it. Glad I'll be able to pick it up on there eventually though since it's absolutely something I want to get to.

Aaand it's gone again. Store page is still visible but it's no longer on sale.
:fuuyeah:
Shame it isn't around for sale at all any more. Would've liked to pick it up on Steam after I've finished Cyberpunk and maybe tried out the Yakuza series since it's absolutely something I want to get to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom