Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Trilogy

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I think BW needs bigger autonomy within EA. The fact they've moved headquarters makes me hopeful EA won't meddle in their new games.

Quillon

Arcane
Today I thought of Salarians for some reason :P and how refreshing it is that they have shorter lifespan than humanses and how it makes sense and has tangible effect on how they behave...compared to most other fantasy/syfy races that have way longer lifespans and how little it matters/doesn't make sense usually.

Tytus

Arcane
Coop campaign and I'm in. The series essentially became Gears of Star Wars anyway, let me play it in duo already.

Why do co-op obsessed butt buddies always try to force it into singleplayer franchises? Fuck off.

Because ass allies don't play games for the story or anything. They can't give a shit about what's going on the screen they just want to shoot. Their brains just don't work that way. So even if they play alone they are still there for the pew-pew's and boom-boom's and that according to them is better played with a fanny friend.

Jackpot

Learned
This is how I've always seen each game in the trilogy:
Mass Effect 1 = Star Trek
Mass Effect 2 = Star Wars
Mass Effect 3 = Independence Day

YLD

Novice
This is how I've always seen each game in the trilogy:
Mass Effect 1 = Star Trek
Mass Effect 2 = Star Wars
Mass Effect 3 = Independence Day
You got rated "funny" but that's actually a very solid way to approach the series, where each game stands in for a different decade of science-fiction pop culture.

Mass Effect 1 is the honeymoon phase of space exploration, the very notion of doing so is treated with wonder and a big part of the charm is simply the idea of meeting new alien races and cultures, and learning what they are about.

Mass Effect 2 is where space exploration and multiple alien races are taken for granted, and the focus shifts to individual stories and personal drama. While this is usually the most boring part of science-fiction from a pure fantasy standpoint, it's also the richest from what you can do with it. The expansion of nuances means it's no longer acceptable to treat races as single-behavior caricatures, but in turn you can just transpose good old Earth drama except with a science-fiction coating: cop show, espionnage drama, vampire romance, car chases, soapy sitcom... in space!

Mass Effect 3 is grimdark action sci-fi decade, rather focused on existential threats, grim battlefields, despair and gloomy piano over slo-mo heroism.

The games are big and sprawling enough that there is a degree of overlap, but the divide still remains pretty clean: the discovery of the Leviathan isn't treated with doe-eyed wonder because the war in well underway and the only concern is how useful they can be, and in Mass Effect 2 no one cares about the Vortchas, they are just more assholes in an ocean of assholes. The one race you are expected to learn about post-ME1 with child-like curiosity is the Geth, but only because it's a rewriting of pre-established lore.

Unlike most people I don't mind such an evolution at all, though for obvious reasons if a sequel is to see the light of day it cannot be a repeat of Mass Effect 1, else we will just end up with the race-bloat and degenerate contradictory lore overdose typical of these series that have kept running for too long.

donkeymong

Scholar
ME2 executed on what it was trying to be better than ME3 did. ME2 was massively popular because it combined a sci-fi story people liked a lot with relatively well executed Gears of War popamole, which was very popular at that time. It's like a storybook cover shooter, which is all it was trying to be. ME3 was much less well liked because its story faltered, which even the most cursory glance at contemporary reactions will bear out. Gears of War popamole was also a little less popular by then, which didn't help.

Nonsense. Mass Effect 2 is an awfull third person shooter. No combat rolls, not blindfire, grenades were powers (lol) and even worse then in the first game, low damage and hard to aim.No real melee attack. Worse then even the first Gears, that is far better at this job. Elite enemies that are bloated healthbar versions of regular ones. Even more pathetic, enemy "biotics" who only used Warp, only the Harbringer troll used some kind of singularity in addition.(not counting dlc with Vasir) Enemy tech powers, only combat drone and fire attack. No enemy snipers.

Last edited:

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
skip forward
andromeda
skip forward
books that nobody read
skip forward
more books that nobody read

yeah if you're just going to cite the books I don't care, not going to watch an hour of some fat guy complaining about video games
link to your blog so i never miss an update on your likes and dislikes, pls.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/members/rusty_shackleford.24665/#recentActivity

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So buds. If EA decided to release remastered editions of the Trilogy would anyone here buy it?

They'd have to totally rework the ending of Mass Effect 3. Unlikely since to my understanding, Casey Hudson is back at the helm and the ending of the franchise was his brainchild.

In other respects, having Casey Hudson back at the company can only help because he brings a classic dude bro producer perspective to balance out the SJW inclinations of the other creatives which overtook Andromeda.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom