Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Do you even play new RPGs anymore?

Are you an RPG GaM3r?

• Yeah I'm into Fallout 3, DIVOS, Pillars, BG3 and dirty underwear

• No

• KC

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I went into gamedev, because my best memories were tied to Fallout, BG2, VTMB. I was young.
Но время шло и события развивались.
Now I'm 32 and I don't even play new titles, it's not fun. And the games that I loved the most, I loved them for their narrative.

I have a crisis of identity. I don't want to see games or make games. It's a disgusting thing entirely.
So recently I started reading 14 hours a day. And I enjoy it much more than gaming. Fuck gaming?

I think being a storyfag means you're in the wrong place, just go read books to have direct access to narrative, cutting through all the bullshit.

Last edited:

The Decline

Arcane
I played through the Pillars series and Tyranny recently after having not played any CRPGs for a couple years. I enjoyed them, but obviously not as much as the classics. I am going through Pathfinder right now and I'm having a blast.

Parsifarka

Arcane
I think being a storyfag means you're in the wrong place, just go read books to have direct access to narrative, cutting through all the bullshit.
Yes, we've been telling you storyfags for years: GET OUT! Go read book -only then we will have respectable top RPG polls.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I went into gamedev, because my best memories were tied to Fallout, BG2, VTMB. I was young.
Но время шло и события развивались.
Now I'm 32 and I don't even play new titles, it's not fun. And the games that I loved the most, I loved them for their narrative.

I have a crisis of identity. I don't want to see games or make games. It's a disgusting thing entirely.
So recently I started reading 14 hours a day. And I enjoy it much more than gaming. Fuck gaming?

I don't play recent AAA games, or almost any game on day of release. I do play RPGS from the last few years though, there have been some good ones. There are some great ones on the horizon, too; see Iron Tower Studio's Colony Ship for example.

If you're reading fiction novels 14 hours a day then you need to take a long hard look at yourself in the mirror.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

But time passed and events developed.

Been there.

Try this:

https://play.aidungeon.io/

:M

Poseidon00

Arcane
No they are all ass without exception and it's gotten so bad I can't be fucked to risk 20$ on sale to find out if it's worth my time.

I'm not even particularly picky, modern developers or their studios and probably both just do not understand what is good and what is not.

Poseidon00

Arcane
If you are trying to replace books with RPGs you are gonna have a bad time. I think both have their place. If I want a good story, I read books. If I want to fill the story in with my imagination, I play games. Rarely does a game do narrative better, but a handful do.

I do attempt them, but the playthroughs go on a turtle's pace since the play sessions are so far in-between and not that very long either. And to be honest the reasoning is mostly that I use Linux and hate to have to restart my computer just to boot into windows....

Of course I play new games. Why wouldn't anyone who still games as a hobby? I understand if the dark decade starting in the early/mid 2000s dampened your spirit, but such time has passed. Playing the same games ritualistically to the preemptive disdain of all else is the kind of cognitive fugue found in geriatrics at a slot machine.

If the medium gives you no pleasure at all, then move on. I had a similar quandary several years ago. I got over it when I realized that it's because I was no longer a boy, and no longer living a boys life. It's liberating. I can now play games when I have free time and have fun, and walk away. They're no longer an obsession. You really should try some new games. RPGs and otherwise. There are some really good ones released in the last 5 years.

*Typos

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

But time passed and events developed.

Been there.

Try this:

https://play.aidungeon.io/

:M
I forgot he put me on ignore, lol.

Eh, serves him right. Be bored then, Mr Safe Space. :M

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I mostly play games that aren't RPGs these days but occasionally there comes along an RPG, like AoD, Kingmaker or DE, that is worth playing.

vmar

Savant
As a combat fag I still manage to find plenty to play. Give me some turn based squad combat with a little depth and I'm good.

Goldschmidt

Learned
I hardly play anything myself. I just quickly look up some youtube videos and judge the game like that. I guess I will only buy and play Cyberpunk 2077 this year.

Last month I started reading the Otherland series from Tad Williams. In my opinion it is better than Tolkien's Lord of the Rings and Martin's Song of Fire and Ice. His other series Memory, Sorrow and Thorn is nothing special though.

Silly Germans

I typically play games from other genres when i am sick of rpgs. After a while i find myself looking for rpgs again, most of the time i am lucky and there are some games ready at that point. The time i take to come back is something between 1-3 years i'd guess. I also have rare adventure streaks when i play pretty much only adventure games but that happens perhaps every five years or so. Nothing wrong with taking a break.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom