Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good rpg maker games?

deama

Prophet
Just download and put the player.exe in the games directory and click on it. Should automatically open into fullscreen.
Ohhh, you have to run player.exe.

deama

Prophet
Ok so sadly I think I'll give up on The Great Gaias. I think the main problem is that the story is just very generic, and the fights so far haven't been anything too interesting either. There aren't any optional boss fights or anything like that so far (just started chapter 3), so I think I'll leave this one for now.

I've also tried vampire's dawn 2, and so far it's... idk, something irks me about it, maybe it's because I don't know the main characters, or maybe I don't really like them, or maybe I don't like the story too much so far, we'll see. Also, the text makes my eyes kinda bleed, probably cause it's pretty low resolution.

Jinn

Arcane
The two absolute best RPGMaker games I've encountered are

and

Both have excellent soundtracks, interesting and at times disturbing concepts and themes, and overall really fun gameplay. Highly recommend.

The other that sticks out and that I think has a ton of potential, but that I have yet to put much time into is

Very cool premise, awesome art, nice soundtrack, and challenging gameplay from the little I've tried.

LISA is about 30-35 hours for a playthrough, Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass can be anywhere between 40-60 hours, and Daath Origin - from the content cited on the steam page and what I've seen from playing - I wouldn't be surprised to have around 50ish hours of gameplay too.

deama

Prophet
LISA is about 30-35 hours for a playthrough, Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass can be anywhere between 40-60 hours, and Daath Origin - from the content cited on the steam page and what I've seen from playing - I wouldn't be surprised to have around 50ish hours of gameplay too.
I'm mostly interested in rpg-type rpgmaker games, I have heard of lisa over the years but it hasn't really interested me.

Daath Origin looks interesting, but it's in early access, how finished is it though? Also, it looks like a star trek type of experience, is that accurate or is it something different?
Also, how's the combat?

Jinn

Arcane
I'm mostly interested in rpg-type rpgmaker games

Do you mean fantasy-type? Lisa and Jimmy are definitely RPGs.

Daath Origin looks interesting, but it's in early access, how finished is it though?

As far as I know it is content complete. He's mainly just working out bugs/kinks/polishing things up.

Also, it looks like a star trek type of experience, is that accurate or is it something different?

I would have a hard time comparing it directly to Star Trek, but you control the ship, crew members effect stats, etc. Very unique, particularly for an RPGMaker game.

Also, how's the combat?

About as good as it can get in an RPGMaker game from the little bit I played, with a lot of potential for enhanced tactics and complexity as you progress.

deama

Prophet
Do you mean fantasy-type? Lisa and Jimmy are definitely RPGs.
I meant as in, gathering or making a party, going out into the world killing mobs, leveling up, doing quests, and there's an main quest you go through.
I'd also prefer if there was a decent amount of open-worldness where you can explore, find really hard places (maybe come back later when you're stronger), secrets to find etc...

Also yeah, fantasy would be preferred as well, though I haven't played a good rpgmaker sci-fi, so idk.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The only RPG Maker game I've genuinely enjoyed was Crooked Bee's entry in the RPG Codex RPG Maker contest.

deama

Prophet
Just played through another rpg maker game, lawless lands. It's pretty good actually, but I think suffers a bit as it goes on.
It's essentially a fantasy medieval post-apoc game where "the plague" has ravaged the land and you're an adventurer that's come to either help, or find his fortune.
It has a character creator where you pick you're starting stats, perks, a background for your character etc... and it does some minor world randomisation, basically adds traits, good or bad.

So like I said, the game starts off pretty strong, however later on it gets worse I think as you end up figuring out ways to just bypass the survival aspects, e.g. having to eat, or only being able to save when sleeping.
Some parts of the game a kinda confusing as well, like I'm still not sure how magic damage is supposed to scale, it says it relies on power damage, I have a stat called power, and I have a stat called damage, so does that mean it scales from those two? I don't think it does from my testing though.
I've also not really sure what the stats even do, at one point I increased my power stat, which I think is supposed to increase my melee damage, but it doesn't seem to do anything? I didn't really feel like I did more damage at all, the only stat that I felt an increase in damage, was the damage stat, but you can't increase that stat as easily like you can the power stat.

Anyway, it feels like the game could have used a good comb through it's gameplay systems to better tune everything, but otherwise it's a pretty good game, the atmosphere is great, and the music is good too.

distant

Learned

This is one of the only RPG Maker games I've played through, pretty cool. Been waiting around for Lisa the Pointless to finish up, thought it was dead but some new material popped on their discord. Exciting. I'll take a look at Jimmy game.

https://gamejolt.com/games/lisa-the-pointless/221705

I meant as in, gathering or making a party, going out into the world killing mobs, leveling up, doing quests, and there's an main quest you go through.
I'd also prefer if there was a decent amount of open-worldness where you can explore, find really hard places (maybe come back later when you're stronger), secrets to find etc...

Also yeah, fantasy would be preferred as well, though I haven't played a good rpgmaker sci-fi, so idk.

Lisa has all of that including some C&C. It's a good game.

MurkrLurkr

Learned
I can recommend couple of RPGMaker games.. with a touch of a big h in them... Ideology in friction https://store.steampowered.com/app/1011940/Ideology_in_Friction/ is one of the better ones I played recently. Not the big open world full of events and quests that the OP is looking for, but fun game nonetheless, with a good pace and intriguing plot, for H title anyways, and flashed out characters and their interrelationships. 90s anime art style special moves animations are gorgeous and I regret that they didn't utilize them during the H scenes. Finished it with a knight's storyline, meaning my girl didn't do anything too promiscuous and kept herself closed for a childhood love (made most sense from the storyline perspective). I hear that there's a lot of branching narrative sequences and different endings. Be prepared to read a lot, cus between battling monsters (oftentimes humans are the ones that are scarier then mindless beasts) solving quests and moving the story forward, the game plays as a Visual novel, but that did not affect my enjoyment because I'm a sucker for VNs.

Second one is a little bit obscure and I don't know if it counts as something OP is looking for... Evening starter. First person dungeon crawler, with a set of different characters and classes you can choose to go killing mad cultists, lovecraftian elder gods and shiet, along the way collecting a wide variety of items, starting with lore dispensers which flesh out the magitech urban setting, to various consumables, weapons and armor, magic trinkets and occult accessories to adorn yourself and your team. Had fun with it for a while, but didn't finish it. Lost its edge when I couldn't pay debt to criminal underground for blowing their weapons warehouse infested with shoggoths and had to REC cursed VHS with my Holy of Holies being desecrated.. The goal is to keep accepting quests, exploring huge dungeon maps and selling stuff on the black market to avoid being on the snuff film streamlined on some dark web site. Game loop was addicting enough, and oppressive atmosphere of horrors lurking under the "gibbous" moon shining on concrete towers and it's murky sewage cthulhucene depths, with constant fear from yakuza's sharpened cocktanas, was attractive background so I think I will get to it again sometime in the future…

Hope I was of a little help, contributing with my word bile to this thread :salute:

MurkrLurkr

Learned
@Tyranicon Played demo of your Memoirs of a Battle Brothel from itch.io... Nice work man, and don't let haters stop you in your track. You can't put a price tag on everything and time spent creating something out of love for the medium of expression is the ample reason to keep doing it.. Glad to see you make it from F95zone to Steam :cool:

jungl

Augur
played that dungeon dreams game pretty good rpg maker game. Beat the game but didn't romance any of the girls cause jeez once you learn their personalities they remind me too much of real women. I loved that quests can fail and that your rival can one up you. Too many rpgs nowdays afraid to fuck over the player for not preparing and making poor decisions.

Last dream is a solid title. The problem with rpg maker games is ya im sure there are gems out there but way too many of them give the same old im playing a ff6/dragon quest again dejavu to hinder you from searching for those gems. It is interesting to see different rpgmaker developers talents some are good with storyfag elements, some combat fag stuff etc.

Amurada

Educated
Soul Shepherd is an excellent RPGM game made by noted Romhacker Zomebero, who has produced various hardtypes for classic games; ranging from Ogre Battle to Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. Soul Shepherd's aesthetic makes up an eclectic usage of RPGM assets and sprite rips from various game properties. Definitley not an H-game for those of you who may only have an interest in such a thing -- although the game would be made better if it had incorporated them.

Soul Shepherd has little story to speak of both when it comes to having a sparse script, and in terms of there being no general direction to head in. Think of the original SFC Dragon Quest title for a direct comparison -- your only real guide being the CBD one goes through when taking one path over the others. That being said, you will get your ass handed to you in the designated areas you must go in. This is welcome for someone who enjoys difficult games myself (Labyrinth of Touhou, Genius of Sappheiros, Dragon Quarter, etc.) but I will levy criticism as to the manner in which said difficulty is executed. Going back to the original SFC Dragon Quest, wandering to areas or off the beaten path tile sprites is a risk that more often than not, lends itself to CBD. SS guarantees CBD on the first screen of most areas you find yourself. The key to survival in this case: sticking to the first screen of any given area, and grinding until you are capable of inching forward to other screens in the same given area. It would have maybe been for the best to have the first screen of any given area having lower encounter rates, and lower enemies per encounter until the local battle tick hits its cap, and then have all go to normal.

Another issue being stat progression. It may just be that I've been on a SaGa streak as of late, but the traditional level progression in SS seems to be incorporated merely for the sake of not having any other means of achieving progress. Especially considering the strength of the enemies - and the various skills one must use in battle to progress outside of simply mindlessly mashing 'confirm' - SS more than most games with a SaGa esque progression system could incorporate such a system and have each stat point feel EARNT more than it has in some random shite DOS game from the late 80's to early 90's.

As for good qualities, the aforementioned utilization of various skills outside of just offensive magic, and one go to strong physical skill attack is a mistake Soul Shepherd does not make. Most enemies can be inflicted with various status effects, and more often than not need to be in order to mitigate what would otherwise be significant damage. The game utilizes monster recruitment rather well, wherein your party members as well as yourself are capable of turning into other monsters if the requirements are met.

Overall, would recommend this game to those who enjoy challenging games.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron

Brave Soul looked like RPG Maker but I'm unsure whether it was. For some reason this game is completely forgotten now even though it was translated (not even on Steam when it's lightyears beyond any of the weeb crap on that platform).

It was fun enough to play through seven six times to see every gurl's route.

Communist

Prospernaut
Possibly Retarded
To be fair, the RPG maker reproduces games in the style of the 80s, but with completely unnatural graphics for this time. The best pack for him is the Nostalgia pack, with almost monochrome colors. The concept of an RPG maker has long been as old as Methuselah if Methuselah was a trans prostitute with a ton of makeup on him/her.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I had forgotten about Peach Princess translated games. Looking at GameSPOT and Mobygames. I don't believe its made via RPGmaker. They made a few games. I think I had a physical catalog once unless that was Megatech.

Peach Princess
Not to be confused with Princess Peach... hmmm maybe nintendo sued eh?

Overview
Sexy translated henai you perverts!

Games
Little My Maid (2004)
Gibo: Stepmother's Sin (2004)
Brave Soul (2003)
X-Change 2 (2003)
Water Closet: The Forbidden Chamber (2001)
Tokimeki Check in! (2001)
X-Change (2001)
Snow Drop (2001)
Critical Point (1998)

Trivia
Company's last known address/contact information:

Peach Princess
PO Box 421106
San Diego CA 92142-1106
USA

Fax:
(619) 839-3745

[add trivia]

Related Web Sites
ABOUT JAST USA
SOFTWARE INFORMATION
The software is DRM FREE. No internet connection is required to play. You are free to use and copy the software for your personal needs without restriction. Additionally, we don't require authentication software, because that's lame. You shouldn't need to give up your privacy just to have fun.

SERVICE INFORMATION
Your purchase of this software entitles you to *unlimited downloads for the lifetime of your account. Simply go to your account page to re-download. However, sharing your account with third parties may result in a suspension or ban from our service.

ADULT CONTENT WARNING
This software contains mature themes and graphic images that are not suitable for minors. You must be 18 years of age or older to purchase. Characters, places and events are fictional – resemblance of real-world people, places or events is purely coincidental.

I'd be surprised if any hentai rpg was all that great gameplay-wise.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom