Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline OSR Games - Official thread

Bara

Arcane
That's quite a pot. I wonder what the record is for tabletop RPGs on Kickstarter?

If we're not counting battle tech and other board games than the highest would be a 5e supplement book for Strongholds and followers for 2 million.

Though I think that was cheating in a sense as it wasn't for the product alone but to livestream his next campaign.

I think for OSR books OSE advanced fantasy is the highest. At least from what I've seen.

Casual Hero

Augur
I ended up backing the Advanced OSE Kickstarter, and I'm pretty excited.
The main thing I'm looking forward to is the new classes.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
Is there any OSE-compatible setting in weaboo Sengoku japan? This just popped up in r/osr
there's oriental adventures (ad&d 1ed) and ruins&ronin / shinobi&samurai (s&w white box od&d hacks). not exactly becmi, but can be adapted with little effort.

Bara

Arcane
I ended up backing the Advanced OSE Kickstarter, and I'm pretty excited.
The main thing I'm looking forward to is the new classes.

The only thing I'm not keen on is the free booklet of 8 extra classes being backer only. I know he said they could show up in other future books but I'd rather folks have the option to buy it later if they missed the kickstarter window.

Bara

Arcane
I'm not sure what it has to do with OSR but on r/osr the top thread currently is the 1991 Wizardry Anime?

It's great though so anyone here who didn't watch it already here it is again

Bara

Arcane
So I see the trove has Lejendary Adventures essentials on there.

Never got a chance to read it since the books are long out of print and the pdfs were taken down via legal reasons.

Is it just a cleaned up version of what Gygax wrote or a simplified version of those rules? I would have loved to red the original book to get more of that amazing stuff he wrote in the Dungeon's Master guide but that seems impossible now.

Last edited:

Bara

Arcane
Everyone who backed should have gotten emails to download the book.

It's pretty sweet though a few of the pages are broken and do not load.

My first complaint is for the players tome endpapers they had something more useful to refence on the first page.

The character creation stuff won't be pulled up as often as a few base class abilities though i get theres not enough space to include them all up in front anymore.

Sacibengala

Prophet
I believe that the pages that aren’t loading are with the pictures that was not included yet. I got both tomes. I’m sad that they are reusing a lot of the same images as the classic tome. They should at least had changed that. I feel like I bought the same book a second time.

Bara

Arcane
It's not much but I have noticed a few images that have replaced the old ones like the Blink Dogs attacking a displacer beast piece.

But yeah the new tomes feel like a great first buy if you don't have the previous books and if you do you're better off just buying the individual advanced books.

Thankfully I bought the modular books the first time instead of the original tome so I don't feel as bad about it. Plus the unlocked free adventure books and class booklet help soften that blow.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Do any of you guys have players that just come up with the most insane and idiotic or broken character concepts. I had a player come to me with a character concept I shot down because it was broken as fuck: what if I was actually a brain parasite that, if my character died, my parasite could possess someone else and keep all of the ability increases.

I told him that was broken fucking bullshit and he got pretty upset with me. He's also wanted to play:
1. A pro wrestler.
2. A yu-gi-oh character who can summon monsters with cards in a deck

I never know what to say to him, because even my own personal homebrew can't handle these kinds of things, nor are they thematically appropriate

Bara

Arcane
I've been blessed not to run into players like that yet. Though I've stuck with the B/X and it's retro-clones so far. I don't know if homebrew or other alternative systems attract more people like that or just they expect everything is on the table now if it's hombrew or such.

What kind of setting or theme was it and what system are you using if you don't mind me asking as I could see a way for them to work depending on it.

Like if it's more standard fantasy I'd make him say if he wanted to play a wrestler it would have to be something like the greek ones. Or other ancient cultures forms of wrestling and grappling. None of that modern stuff.

For the summoning monsters I could see it work as a item but not a class and I'd just tell him if he wants to do it he's got to find the thing first out on adventure cause freebie magic items at character creation feels too much unless it's one of those high power games.

If he wanted it at character creation I'd make the deck be really cursed then. Make it something like the deck of many things in which you have to declare how many cards you're going to draw and can't go back on it and should the creature summoned or total creatures combined HD values exceed his own HD he loses all control of the summon and they go wild trying to kill him.

It seems like a lot of work for little return though as they could just use summoning/binding spells and bypass the cards.

The parasite one is just stupid and he is trying to have a immortal character and suffer no setbacks when his meat bag dies. I 100% bet he'd argue that since his parasite was the one in control he's the one who reaped all the experience/knowledge and would want to carry it over to his next host at no set back.

PrettyDeadman

Do any of you guys have players that just come up with the most insane and idiotic or broken character concepts. I had a player come to me with a character concept I shot down because it was broken as fuck: what if I was actually a brain parasite that, if my character died, my parasite could possess someone else and keep all of the ability increases.

I told him that was broken fucking bullshit and he got pretty upset with me. He's also wanted to play:
1. A pro wrestler.

I never know what to say to him, because even my own personal homebrew can't handle these kinds of things, nor are they thematically appropriate
Can you just force him to fight in parasite form after death with like d4/2 hit dice and get stomped. Doesn't sound too op to me. Even if he can theoretically do possess other characters, what good will it make him if he gets killed as soon as he gets out of his host.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter

Say exactly what you just did: "No, you can't play that, because it's not thematically appropriate." Full stop, end of discussion.

If a player keeps wanting to play wrestlers, Pokémon trainers and lesbian cyborg stripper ninjas in a game which you have clearly established to be Medieval/Viking/whatever-inspired, that's not a challenge for you to accomodate, and it's not your shortcoming as a DM if you don't. What it is is a shitty player who is either so completely tone deaf that he must be borderline retarded, or he's a disruptive player who is deliberately fucking with you, constantly trying to "defeat" you by getting you to accept one of his retarded and inappropriate character concepts.

This isn't an in-game problem, it's an out-of-game problem with a problematic player. Out-of-game problems only ever have out-of-game solutions, so do not try to address this in-game. Don't try to let him have his way and then punish him by making someone step on his brain parasite or whatever; that will just escalate the problem. Instead, sit down with him outside the game and talk. Ask him why he's constantly trying to bring characters that are inappropriate for the game's style, and listen to his answer. Who knows, maybe he's just bored with vanilla D&D fantasy and wants to try something different. If that's the case, maybe you or someone else could set up a short mini-campaign that's gonzo, or brain parasite fantasy, or whatever, and let him get it out of his system. Or maybe you'll find that he's really just trying to fuck with you a.k.a. being a disruptive player, in which case you can wave him goodbye and wish him many fun future games with some other group.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
I've been blessed not to run into players like that yet. Though I've stuck with the B/X and it's retro-clones so far. I don't know if homebrew or other alternative systems attract more people like that or just they expect everything is on the table now if it's hombrew or such.

What kind of setting or theme was it and what system are you using if you don't mind me asking as I could see a way for them to work depending on it.

It's my own personal rpg I whipped up for OSR-y games with a degree of character creation. It's ACKS + DCC + a lot of obsession around the idea that Gary Gygax threw in in the LBBS that you could literally just play anything as long as it was sufficiently weak at the start.

The character creation is basically pick a race (race has little to no effect on anything) and a class. There's three kinds of ability dice (trick for skills, warrior for fighters and drain for healers) and then you bolt on 4 specific features. The game in its current state has 14 features for trick dice, seven for drain dice, and five for warrior dice, alongside 56 other general features for a total of 82 features. Like I'm very open for letting people choose their features if they don't want to use one of the pre-made classes. Warriors, for example, start with technically 4 attacks, with the Companions that gives them 3 best friends/bros that will fight with them and follow commands (they will not, under any circumstance throw their own lives away and require a lavish burial on death or the feature ceases to work with your living companions abandoning you and and you cant get more). You can be a lich, a witch, a druid, all kinds of wacky bards and such. Spellcasting is not something you can just "be". Let me post the "lich" page to show you.

YsaWXLe.png

I just can't do shit like a brain parasite that remains effectively immortal in this system. Nor can I figure out how the fuck you're gonna be able to do shit like pokemon trainer, even if the companions.

This player is pretty aggressively bad faith though, I might just boot him since he threw his dice across the room because he got in trouble with the law after making a habit of killing and eating people for rations in a dungeon.

Edit: To answer before asked, you scale off HD because you can get more HD than you can levels. Levels only really determine the power of your ability dice, while HD determine the power of your features. Also, you can obviously do more than what you're given here. These are just your four innate features. If you want magic, you have to quest for it, if you want to fly, you have to quest for it, your combat ability etc all of this is determined by questing for it. Players generally like it, one of my players likes using the Lich's paralyzing touch with its drain attacks to do stealthy shit. Uses the shades to scout, etc. Pretty good

Last edited:

Curratum

I'm not obsessively interested in your project! Do share anything and everything more about it that you can!

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
I'm not obsessively interested in your project! Do share anything and everything more about it that you can!

I don't really know what else you would want to know.

The System is comprised of three "tiers" of play, these are based entirely around different campaign styles.
Heroics: basically how most people play DnD, with murderhobos and easy gameplay. Adventure through linear modules and slay the orcs. Character creation is very lax, you get more HP and whatever equips you want (armor has HEAVY penalties).
Expeditions: OSR play. You roll 3d6 down the line and are expected to play carefully and tactically.
Domains: Expeditions with a domain focus. I really need to playtest this and get player feedback, but I think I cracked a way to do domains in a board-gamey kind of way.

You can customize characters how I described, there's many combinations. I do skills as a 2d6 roll (this can be lowered) with needing to succeed with a 10, er, I don't know what else you want to know. I don't know if I could ever get it to a stage I'd be comfortable selling, but if you want, I could run it for some of the OSR grogs.

Curratum

What exactly are your attack and skill rolls like? What's the complete formula?

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
What exactly are your attack and skill rolls like? What's the complete formula?

When the pdf is finished you can have it. I'm planning on straight up releasing it as a PWYW. Attack rolls are 1d20 + ability score modifier

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist

v1rus

Arcane

Just refluff the druid. Instead of praying/meditating for spells, he does drafts every night. :popcorn:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom