Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Which is a good thing because you can see the very distant future when you time travel to the fight against Gael and everything you see points out to how hopeless everything is.

Wait, it is the distant future?
Sooooo cool, I didn't get it.
Very Arabian nights vibe from this location

A49077871A8D85639BF35748B61CD402F77020B1

They travel through the desert of Kayrawan or Cyrene which lacks water. They get lost because the stars are clouded but they move on. They come to a castle build from black stone and a door of China Steel. Then Musa praises Allah for his father told him once of this palace and the City of Brass which should be ahead. They find all kinds of verses telling of ‘greatness fallen into dust and clay’. Musa weeps over these verses. There are also tablets telling of the accidents of Time and the vicissitudes of Fortune. The tablet tells they were caught unawares by the Destroyer of Delights, Lord of the Heavens and Lord of the Earth. And more tablets tell of the turns of Fortune and Death.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Which is a good thing because you can see the very distant future when you time travel to the fight against Gael and everything you see points out to how hopeless everything is.

Sooooo cool, I didn't get it.
Very Arabian nights vibe from this location
it's not a location, it's just the world crumbled into an ocean of dust after an infinite amount of kindling cycles.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Yup, that's Princess Filianore's power.

When you disturb her you are sent forward in time so far into the future there's nothing left. You didn't teleport location. The location is still the same as when you met her. It's just that everything around you is destroyed and her own future self is a mummy.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
They sort of touch on this in Ashes of Ariandel; one of the big themes is how the world has become rotten due to stagnation, and its parallel to the outside world.

At first glance one can assume that when they speak of burning the rot away they mean linking the flame, but I think it goes further than that. The world is rotten outside because the flame has been linked so many times. It disturbed the Abyss, giving birth to the Deep, which is implied to be a stagnant, fetid version of the Abyss, of humanity. And that corruption leaked out and poisoned everything.

That crow villager pretty much says it "When the world rots, we set it afire. For the sake of the next world. It's the one thing we do right, unlike those fools on the outside."
So Gwyn, Kaathe, Frampt, etc have been doing it wrong the whole time, and as a result the next world has been getting steadily worse and worse, instead of just ending the cycle.

I didn't like playing through Ashes, but it does have some good dialogue and art direction. I will give it that.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Both DLC tie together in that regards too. You end up being able to give the dark soul blood pigment to the painter girl in Ariandel only because you went so far into the future that Gael could absorb the dark soul from everyone. Feel this, the world this little painter girl is creating is made from the dark soul pieces of all slain humans/undeads. It can't get more explicit that DS3 is about putting an end to everything. Most likely if the dev team ever tell people what they take as the canon ending of DS3 it should be the End of Fire.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
So i let Anri die, 'cause fuck waifus. Have absolutely no idea what the hell her story was or what the whole story of this game is. There's also two NPCs missing, the depressed guy in the beginning, which i haven't seen for a long while, that lady with the hat that gave me the cracked red orbs, and the other one with the silver armor, which is also nowhere to be seen, and i'm up to Anor Londo now.

I didn't have an issue understanding the story in DS1 or DS2 and follow the NPC quest lines but here i just have no idea what is going on and what the hell anyone is talking about.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Shiiiiet Dancer is kicking my butt. Went in like Pontiff thinking i was going to dodge his shit but he is way too erratic, so i switched to tanking him which works out better. Almost had it but i fucked up at the last second. I'll try later i guess.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
So I beat Spears of the Church.
I really don't like how From is forcing you to PvP. Even when I was unembered I had to fight a human, and that pissed me off. Inconsistent and shit design is shit. I had to bring a summon because I don't have time or patience to deal with From's bullshit and catering to the gits who want Dark Souls to be League of Spastics or some PvP shit.

Fought Midir, and I can see why people say he's too hard. But really, I think he's en par with Singh; Midir doesn't go Airborne, deal poison (which is basically Toxic in Dark Souls 2) and doesn't break your weapons.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I really don't like how From is forcing you to PvP. Even when I was unembered I had to fight a human, and that pissed me off. Inconsistent and shit design is shit. I had to bring a summon because I don't have time or patience to deal with From's bullshit and catering to the gits who want Dark Souls to be League of Spastics or some PvP shit.

Fought Midir, and I can see why people say he's too hard. But really, I think he's en par with Singh; Midir doesn't go Airborne, deal poison (which is basically Toxic in Dark Souls 2) and doesn't break your weapons.
Once you learn his attack patterns, Midir is a pushover. Each attack is very well telegraphed and can be easily countered; the worst one probably is the fire breath from above, because, unless you already know how to avoid it, it's hard to tell where the safe area is. If you face him with an end-game greatshield (like the Moaning Shield), you can tank entire combos while you are learning them.

Halflight can be an interesting fight, because he has a lot of tools at his disposal (both melee and ranged). It still isn't particularly hard, because you can abuse his retarded AI that is unable to understand weapon reach.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Shiiiiet Dancer is kicking my butt. Went in like Pontiff thinking i was going to dodge his shit but he is way too erratic, so i switched to tanking him which works out better. Almost had it but i fucked up at the last second. I'll try later i guess.

Its Her. She is a M'Lady.

daniele-petretto-dancer.jpg

also best OST in DS3

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Once you learn his attack patterns, Midir is a pushover. Each attack is very well telegraphed and can be easily countered; the worst one probably is the fire breath from above, because, unless you already know how to avoid it, it's hard to tell where the safe area is. If you face him with an end-game greatshield (like the Moaning Shield), you can tank entire combos while you are learning them.

Halflight can be an interesting fight, because he has a lot of tools at his disposal (both melee and ranged). It still isn't particularly hard, because you can abuse his retarded AI that is unable to understand weapon reach.

He could be an interesting fight, if I had a chance to actually fight him, because for some reason From didn't understand that if one is unembered by Ringed City, its because one doesn't want to deal with other players.
If the PvP thing only happened when embered, fine. Its when its unavoidable that its a problem, because not everyone likes PvP, especially in Dark Souls 3 where its a drawn out affair of footsies.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Wait, there's a boss that has pvp people in the fight? what happens if you do it offline?
You fight an NPC instead. Both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 2 have a bossfight with a similar gimmick.

I actually forgot about the Mirror Knight summoning mechanic, because it rarely happened to me. I think you have to human for it to happen, and for the Invader to actually be looking for an invasion instead of just passively waiting.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, she is dead now.

Kinda of rethinking my build here. I love the Astora Greatsword, both the look and the move set, but i'm having an hard time with it in PvP. I even got some faggot parry me when i caught him in a charge, like what's the point then (the charge is still a god send against mobs though).

Thinking of switching over the Lothric Knight Sword for PvP, all though i'm so used to the long reach it's taking me a bit to adjust.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Well, she is dead now.

Kinda of rethinking my build here. I love the Astora Greatsword, both the look and the move set, but i'm having an hard time with it in PvP. I even got some faggot parry me when i caught him in a charge, like what's the point then (the charge is still a god send against mobs though).

Thinking of switching over the Lothric Knight Sword for PvP, all though i'm so used to the long reach it's taking me a bit to adjust.

You can parry the weapon art? Weird. Ultragreatswords are supposed to be good against parries because you can't parry them when two handed. I guess the weapon art follows a different rule.
Lothric Knight Sword is something of a meta pick, so you should be fine. Just R1 and watch out for parries.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yep, pointless to use in PvP if they can do it even after taking damage:

GG From.

Also, what in the living fuck is going with poise i just read an entire article on how it's supposed to work and i didn't understand a god damn thing.

BTW, i just discovered you can glitch out of the game to get infinite respec lmao. Going to abuse it to try around some different builds.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yep, pointless to use in PvP if they can do it even after taking damage:

GG From.

Also, what in the living fuck is going with poise i just read an entire article on how it's supposed to work and i didn't understand a god damn thing.

Yeah, poise is convoluted nonsense.
Basically, if you want poise to work you need to use a certain weapon in a certain way. Ultragreatswords, for example, will give you poise and hyperarmor regardless, but greatswords will only give you poise and hyperarmor if you 2 hand them.
The poise only works if you don't get poise broken, which varies according to weapon. Swords deal less poise damage than hammers, for example.
The game never tells you this. It doesn't tell you if a weapon allows you to use poise or gives you hyper armor, nor does it tell you how effective a weapon is at breaking poise, which is weird because in Dark Souls 2 there was a literal poise breaking stat.

So yeah, poise is useless unless you use certain weapons in a certain way against certain weapon types. Its pure grade pedantic shit. Dark Souls 2 did it so much better, where you got poise during active frames, no matter what weapon you were using, so you didn't just get stun locked into oblivion by some dickhead with a knife because you dared to use a claymore one handed.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
If you get poise from swinging the weapon how does that interact with the points you get from your armor? I guess it just gets added?

So you basically have no poise unless you swing, and what you get depends on the weapon you use.

I'm getting the sense i might as well just run around naked and roll like a monkey with fast swinging weapons and call it a day, which i'm not going to do cause that's retarded.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
He could be an interesting fight, if I had a chance to actually fight him, because for some reason From didn't understand that if one is unembered by Ringed City, its because one doesn't want to deal with other players.
If the PvP thing only happened when embered, fine. Its when its unavoidable that its a problem, because not everyone likes PvP, especially in Dark Souls 3 where its a drawn out affair of footsies.
If you don't like PvP, you can play offline and avoid it altogether, embered or not.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
If you get poise from swinging the weapon how does that interact with the points you get from your armor? I guess it just gets added?

So you basically have no poise unless you swing, and what you get depends on the weapon you use.

You don't get more poise from swinging a weapon, sorry I wasn't clear. The poise from your armor becomes usable when you swing a weapon.
Say you have 40 poise. Well that 40 poise doesn't mean anything unless you are using a weapon that allows it.

I'm getting the sense i might as well just run around naked and roll like a monkey with fast swinging weapons and call it a day, which i'm not going to do cause that's retarded.

You just described the Dark Souls 3 meta. The only reason people wear armor is for fashion.
You do get a little damage reduction, but its so slight its negligible.
You can't upgrade armor like you can in the previous games, so armor doesn't scale that well at higher levels of play.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
You activate your poise only when you execute certain attacks, and the amount of attacks you can "poise through" depends on your poise stats (which is determined by your armor).

Lyric Suite whatever thing you try to do with your armor, keep all body slots covered. You are better off with a full set of light armor than with just chest and legs pieces of a heavy one, because you get penalties to your defense if you have an empty slot.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
If you don't like PvP, you can play offline and avoid it altogether, embered or not.

Yes, but I didn't have to play offline, because the ember / human mechanic already covered it, with the added bonus of being able to see player messages and blood spots.
Spears of the Church basically threw that aspect out of the window and took away player choice, unless you exit the game, go to the options, go to offline, reboot the game, and basically play it with less features. Which is lame.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom