Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Has anyone succeeded at converting from tribal to feudal and surviving? Currently you're hit with a massive handicap that destroys your kingdom.
Well, it killed me last time I tried. It's indeed insanely hard to do correctly. Even maxed out tribal holdings convert to barren feudal wastelands, what the hell is this shit.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=2225107171

Are you sick of every single woman in medieval Europe being raised like they're some kind of e-thot MEGA ♥♥♥♥? Me too.

This mod reducing the chances of married women becoming ♥♥♥♥♥♥ for every single chad that crosses their path. It does this by the following

If your wife is your soulmate they will never cheat
if your wife has a high positive opinion of you she will never cheat (up from -45 for the seducer)
if your wife is your lover the seducer has a -70 (up from -50)
if your wife has a medium positive opinion of you the seducer has a -100 (up from -30)
If your wife has a low positive opinion of you the seducer has a -65 (up from -15
If your wife has a low negative opinion of you seducer has a 0 (up from 10)
if your wife has a medium negative opinion of you seducer has a 5 (up from 20)
if your wife has a high negative opinion of you seducer has a 10 (up from 30)

I also changed it so that the target's opinion needs to be higher to get better bonuses (from capping out at 75 points for a 50 opinion) to instead capping out at 50 points for a 100 opinion.

This should make all of the women in CK3 less of a ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥♥♥♥. Also created a separate mod to disable the bastard generation event that overwrites your heir with a new 'real_father'

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
I can't imagine how insecure you gotta be to actually mod a game to lower the chance of being virtually cheated upon, when the religious fervor is fucked, the vikings conquest' lack of restriction is fucked and the partitioning for all but the greeks is fucked.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
I can't imagine how insecure you gotta be to actually mod a game to lower the chance of being virtually cheated upon, when the religious fervor is fucked, the vikings conquest' lack of restriction is fucked and the partitioning for all but the greeks is fucked.

One problem at a time. He’s already solved two.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Exclave independence and non-de jure title destruction just needs to be tweaked for naval paths when it comes to viking conquest. No reason why the King of Sweden would keep a hold on a place in Ireland, just because both can be accessed by sea.

Make the naval paths only one or two hops, to validate something like the Norman Invasion keeping holdings in France after the death of William.

Has anyone succeeded at converting from tribal to feudal and surviving? Currently you're hit with a massive handicap that destroys your kingdom.

I just did, but as your said, I had to prepare for this bullshit. I've eliminated my tribal neighbors that might cause me problems later on, handed out ducal titles to make everyone love me, had an old and well liked ruler, a fat gold reserve, and a whole new feudal duchy ready to move in the moment I press that button and my old demesne becomes worthless swamp. And even then I lost 1/3 of my income and levies, not to mention my ability to raid, my prestige-fulled man at arms and my super-powered CBs. If you are not ready for this, that button might as well be labeled "Realm Self-destruct".

Besides the obvious problem of your demesne that you put in tons of cash, prestige and time to build up becoming a bottom of the barrel feudal dump overnight, this whole process is made worse by how much better tribals are compared to feudal realms early in the game. Going feudal is a complete downgrade in every way. At the very least I would have like to remove the subjugation CB tribals get, because they already have county, ducal and kingdom conquests and because subjugation is the reason you get Sweden plastered all over the fucking map. Fucker has 4 kingdom titles, and this is how he got them. How the AI manages to get everyone to vote for the same heir I don't know.

Oh, and connected to this I discovered another little gem. After going feudal in 1030, I go to tech screen to see what shiny new toys did this get me. And I'm greeted by "it's too early, wait for 30 years" message. Tech progress is hard-gated by time, and until this magical year comes by nobody can research next period tech. Well I guess I'll just twiddle my thumbs for the next 30 years then. That's so fucking stupid I can't even begin to express my disgust with this design.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
KCk6pCm.png

Gimme Dem Dollars Indeed. That is a lot of Dollarydoos.
Btw its a bug with Steam but still I laughed my ass off when I saw this price for what is basically just cosmetics.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron

One problem at a time. He’s already solved two.
He got his priorities straight.

Exclave independence and non-de jure title destruction just needs to be tweaked for naval paths when it comes to viking conquest. No reason why the King of Sweden would keep a hold on a place in Ireland, just because both can be accessed by sea.

Make the naval paths only one or two hops, to validate something like the Norman Invasion keeping holdings in France after the death of William.

Ireland I'd be kind of on the fence about. Ideally there would be some kind of mechanic about how strong your succession is that could cause them to break off if you were weak (Nomads in CK2 kind of did this). The real issue though is when you get Sweden in iberia/west africa/italy. They end up almost never losing land because no one attacking them managed to get much warscore.

Maybe program something like: Exclaves get independence if they are more than 2 jumps away from the nearest country, 3 jumps from a duchy, 4 jumps from a kingdom or 5 jumps from an empire.

Yes. You have to blob pretty hard. Take over an already settled, strong region like Egypt or Greece or something and make it your new demesne. Your new feudal vassals that converted from tribe are completely incapable of saving money to improve their own demesne so you are 100% fucked if you rely on your old tribal areas for tax or manpower. They will have next to no upgrades on their castles 200 years later and will never build a single barony-level holding.

Regardless you are always going to be weaker because tribes can get up to 100% levies and 50% taxes from their vassals while feudal lords get 25%/10%. And this gets even worse with vassals of vassals, because your vassals can potentially get 100% levies/50% taxes from their vassals to give to you 100%/50% while feudal empires are hit with their -75%/-90% penalties twice. Tribes are just massively, massively OP.

Oh, and connected to this I discovered another little gem. After going feudal in 1030, I go to tech screen to see what shiny new toys did this get me. And I'm greeted by "it's too early, wait for 30 years" message. Tech progress is hard-gated by time, and until this magical year comes by nobody can research next period tech. Well I guess I'll just twiddle my thumbs for the next 30 years then. That's so fucking stupid I can't even begin to express my disgust with this design.

If you become feudal then by far the best way to do it is to just culture convert to any new, already teched culture. Take a single greek province, move your capital there, convert to greek, congrats you've skipped 150 years or so of painful catch up.

Last edited:

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
40k levied tartaristan right on my border as the Kingdom of Zaporizhia. Just hope my Kings resplendant glory will keep them at bay long enough for partition to fuck them over. My liege the byzantine emperor is a useless cunt when it comes to steppe fighting.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Anyone else thinks that the UI in this game just feels oversized for it's function?
There's a UI scaling option that by default is over 100% (and stayed over 100% for a short time until day-2 or whatever hotfix). Have you tried lowering it?

I did fiddle with it. It mostly seemed to affect text and icon sizes while the UI elements themselves keep taking absurd amount of screenspace.

Zariusz

Arbiter
So i beat that large rebellion but then my king died and i have another big rebellion...
Does having a hook on certain character blocks that character from joinging to factions?

Starwars

Arcane
Not sure if you can do anything with hooks regarding factions (would obviously would make a lot of sense), but Swaying characters (as well as maybe giving gifts) is a pretty decent way to keep them out of factions if you have some time.
In some situations there's just not much to be done however.

Someone talked about surviving the change to feudal from tribal before and I did pretty well on the standard difficulty. Maybe I lucked out but while I lost a lot of my land after the shift and things generally went crazy, CK3 still feels easy enough that you can bounce back later on. It's more of a restart even if it looks like things are going to complete shit.

Does having a hook on certain character blocks that character from joinging to factions?
A strong hook is supposed to prevent them joining factions. It's useful to keep prisoners on ice for the transition between rulers. Executing prisoners will bump the new ruler's dread score up. 'Let them hate so long as they fear' sort of works in this game.

Ghostar

Literate
It seems that every damned time i change the ruler-chara after the previous dies everyone joins a faction against me to change my ruler for another one.
Every single time.
Cannot remember CK2 being like that.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So did Paradox ditch tributary states in CK3 or you need some perk for this war option?

BTW i foud another playlist with medieval music

There is a shit ton of such music on the tube. I really enjoy "Ex Cathedra" and "Adoration of the Cross".

Tigranes

Arcane
The Crusades in this game are like some visual representation of the "lol how hard can it be to just invade people and take over their lands you just need like phat loot equipment and lots of troops right" fallacy

Given no serious modeling of fleets, massive distances, supply/logistics or even right of passage, 50,000 random European levies suddenly end up in the Middle East walking around besieging everything every few decades like a locust plague

I suppose only a matter of time until someone gets the Pope to declare Crusades on India

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom