Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why the hell aren't there more "space opera" / futuristic CRPGs?

Cael

Arcane

Hmmmm... not sure about this one. Will have to reserve judgement until I see it. Given the director, the movie will probably be gorgeous, but whether it will capture the substance of Dune is anyone's guess.

Zendaya as Chani is... not what I would have cast...

I would have loved if they made a deep intricate Star Trek RPG back in the late 90s. What could have been...

obviously my memory is tinted by time and the impressionability of youth but I remember the star trek 25th anniversary game being surprisingly competent, even if it's more an adventure game than a proper RPG.

Herumor

Scholar
Zendaya as Chani is... not what I would have cast...

How do you feel about Liet Kynes now being a black woman?

0520-Dune-Ebmed-06.jpg

Darkzone

Arcane
Leto is contractually obligated to be good-looking.
Prochnow was nowhere near as hot though.

I mean, he's no Oscar Issac, but he wasn't a slouch either.
MV5BOTRhMTZhOWUtNDYwNS00Nzg3LTkxYzctZDEzZDBjMTdmOTgxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1542,1000_AL_.jpg
Prochnow made the movies better alone by his presence, like Sir Sean Connery. And he was not the pretty boy, but a manly character face. Look at this picture alone how it works: This is a manly father even while holding this abomination on his hand (i dont mean Paul) that lays the hand on his son's shoulder communicating: pay attention, watch and learn son. I doubt that we will see such a scene in this new movie, because it will be more of the leading Bene Gesserit and all woman are supercapable, while the men are retarded morons that are just figureheads.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Leto is contractually obligated to be good-looking.
Prochnow was nowhere near as hot though.

I mean, he's no Oscar Issac, but he wasn't a slouch either.
MV5BOTRhMTZhOWUtNDYwNS00Nzg3LTkxYzctZDEzZDBjMTdmOTgxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1542,1000_AL_.jpg
Prochnow made the movies better alone by his presence, like Sir Sean Connery. And he was not the pretty boy, but a manly character face. Look at this picture alone how it works: This is a manly father even while holding this abomination on his hand (i dont mean Paul) that lays the hand on his son's shoulder communicating: pay attention, watch and learn son. I doubt that we will see such a scene in this new movie, because it will be more of the leading Bene Gesserit and all woman are supercapable, while the men are retarded morons that are just figureheads.

I wouldn't lose faith that easily. Leto gets more screen time than Lady Jessica in the trailer, despite the latter playing a much bigger part in the book (possibly explained by the first book being split into two movies?) and the new female Liet Kynes barely being shown at all. I think they know their audience for this one.

Also Dune is literally about a psychic super man, and the Bene Gesserit are incompetent as fuck (it gets real fucky later on).

Darkzone

Arcane
I wouldn't lose faith that easily. Leto gets more screen time than Lady Jessica in the trailer, despite the latter playing a much bigger part in the book (possibly explained by the first book being split into two movies?) and the new female Liet Kynes barely being shown at all. I think they know their audience for this one. Also Dune is literally about a psychic super man, and the Bene Gesserit are incompetent as fuck (it gets real fucky later on).
I'm not a man of faith, but i have hope and hope dies always at the end.
A film is always made three times: first time it is made in the script, then by the film director with the camera men and the last time it is made on the cutting board. I hope that the Trailer is representative of the Endproduct, because even then it should be not a bad film despite my criticism of Paul and the Stillsuits and etc. What we see in the trailer was cut together to draw our attention and watch the film, but intersting is what we don't see and there was quite the talk about the Bene Gesserit and how much more they will more depicted. Also don't forget that there are always Alia and Jessica.
One can accuse me of painting the Devil on the Wall, but the Devil is constantly shown in the open, like two days ago with the Oscars Diversity Quotas. So yes don't hold your breath to see anything negative in the film and the series of "Dune: The Sisterhood" about the Bene Gesserit.
Btw. Lynch's Dune was cut very good making it a better film than the 180 minute version.
Nevertheless i have always hope... till it dies.

Ashigara

Educated
The director claims he has wanted to make this his entire life, so he would have to be dumb to change the core of the story and Liet Kynes looks like the 'least meaningful woke change we could make to satisfy the agenda' so who knows. WB also made Joker.

I posted this poll a while back, dunno if people would be interested:

Top 50 Space Sci-Fi Settings of All Time

More have been added.

E.G. Space: Above and Beyond, Flash Gordon, Lexx, Wing Commander, Heechee, The Commonwealth Saga, Elite, Metroid, Yamato..........

Cael

Arcane
The director claims he has wanted to make this his entire life, so he would have to be dumb to change the core of the story and Liet Kynes looks like the 'least meaningful woke change we could make to satisfy the agenda' so who knows. WB also made Joker.

I posted this poll a while back, dunno if people would be interested:

Top 50 Space Sci-Fi Settings of All Time

More have been added.

E.G. Space: Above and Beyond, Flash Gordon, Lexx, Wing Commander, Heechee, The Commonwealth Saga, Elite, Metroid, Yamato..........
Oh, dear Lord... If they turned Zeph into a fat black tranny...!

Ashigara

Educated
Looking at the Dune trailer again, does anyone else feel it's a little less bold looking than the previous two? I quite liked the sci fi channel's attempt with it's colour saturated look and weird costumes.

dune-scifi-channel.jpg

The Star Trek IP hasn't really grown out of the 90s has it? Lackluster show after show, games that barely made a blip. It's a waste of an excellent setting.

Trek humanism presupposes we are all human, not privileged males, oppressed females, whites and blacks etc. It's no wonder none of the Critical Theory gender studies graduates can write for it.

I think our culture has declined since the 90s, so maybe Trek's problem is that it did grow out of the 90s, into the shit general culture of the 2010s.

Cael

Arcane

Looks like a good cast, judging solely from their appearance.
It is far better than those that came before. William Hurt was a great Duke Leto, and Barbra Kordetova was a good Chani. The fat Baron Harkonnen, who could only move because of a hover harness? Brilliant.

And the girl who played Paul's sister is hilarious. "Heeeeee's commmming!" *cue shots of sandworms converging on the Harkonnen palace and the Harkonnens shitting themselves*

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I tried to watch the first few episodes of the original series, but found it was a bit too slow paced to get into, I might give it another go at some point.

Did everyone see the trailer for Isaac Asimov's Foundation?

The Dune one should be this month too.

Huh? Wait a moment. I missed this one. They are making a movie adaptation of the Foundation books?

Deleted member 28561

I think our culture has declined since the 90s, so maybe Trek's problem is that it did grow out of the 90s, into the shit general culture of the 2010s.
It is not a decline, what you see is the results of those same values that 90s Star Trek went on about all the time. Plant the right seed and a beautiful flower will grow, plant a bad seed as Star Trek did and it will grow into a weed, the beauty of the seed does not decide the beauty of the flower.

Wesp5

Arcane
The director claims he has wanted to make this his entire life, so he would have to be dumb to change the core of the story...

Isn't this very similar to what the people said who made the Star Wars sequels ;)? Glad to see that Babylon 5 is second place in the poll although it's much smaller than both ST and SW! FREEDOM FOR VORLON SHIPS

Ashigara

Educated
I tried to watch the first few episodes of the original series, but found it was a bit too slow paced to get into, I might give it another go at some point.

Did everyone see the trailer for Isaac Asimov's Foundation?

The Dune one should be this month too.

Huh? Wait a moment. I missed this one. They are making a movie adaptation of the Foundation books?

It's a high budget type TV show - I like the art style in the trailer, it sorta reminds me of SF channel Dune - tens of thousands of years from now fashion etc should look weird.

I'm hoping they cover an era per season, eg:

- Season 1: The Psychohistorians

- Season 2: The Encyclopedists

- Season 3: The Four Kingdoms

- Season 4: The Traders

- Season 5: The Merchant Princes

And Hari Seldon's hologram appears at each major juncture to guide The Foundation forward. The Mule for late seasons.

Darkzone

Arcane

I simply cannot get over it, that they used Pink Floyd's "Eclipse" instead of "On the Run" or "Time" and "On the Run" was used very well in Cowboy Bebop "Pierrot le Fou" episode. I would have used Eno's "Prophecy Theme" for the trailer simply as a tribute to Lynch's version.

Ashigara

Educated
Minority casting doesn't matter in Foundation, as it's meant to be the far future +20,000 years, so you would expect if anything mixed people everywhere, and ethnicity to be barely remembered beyond planetary isolated cultures.

I simply cannot get over it, that they used Pink Floyd's "Eclipse" instead of "On the Run" or "Time" and "On the Run" was used very well in Cowboy Bebop "Pierrot le Fou" episode. I would have used Eno's "Prophecy Theme" for the trailer simply as a tribute to Lynch's version.

Maybe "Us and Them" or "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" sampled for future trailers?

Also "Trip to Arrakis" would be cool:

Cael

Arcane
This is why we can't get good sci-fi. The absolute mania to showhorn in every minority possible ruins it for the sane.

Dune doesn't do that, there still are decent directors left. His other movie Blade Runner 2049 didn't as well, even if it was pretentious.
A black Chani and a female Liet? Come now. Seriously? Might as well make Heimdall black.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom