Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Apparently sunlight IS going to have a detrimental effect, only lessened by the tadpole. Probably heavy debuffs. Or maybe you just need to keep to the shadows... who knows? Oh, and I've watched the interview again. Yeah, Swen outright confirms running water and holy places/symbols are a no-no.
Are you certain the sunlight have any effect? I recall in the gameplay review the Vampire Spawn had no problem running around in the sunlight (which was even noted by the character)? I could be misremembering though.
Probably just a debuff instead of damage per round.

Sharpedge

Prophet
As far as I recall some things (like needing to be invited) are implemented and others get hand waved by the magic of having a tadpole in your head. This was probably decided based on how difficult it would be to implement various limitations.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
If it will be a debuff, I hope it shall be severe enough to matter. This, in combination with a ticking clock scenario (the ceremorphosis process) will hopefully put a strain on any "be active only during the night" plans.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Some story spoilers leaked

keepsakes.jpg

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Do you remember Fort Joy? It was originally hard to get out a major part of story... Then complains happened. And when I played it I nearly accomplished nearly impossible task, screw up so much to not be able to get out of Fort Joy.

Larian should think less about complains and more about game design.

ChildInTime

Learned
Some story spoilers leaked

keepsakes.jpg

Sauce me, comrade.
Oglaf.

Hm, so if they don't have day/night cycle, then that's how they'll limit vampires power - a huge debuff. And since it will almost always be daytime, all you get for being a vampire is an aristocratic pale skin and the desire to drink something red from time to time. Cool but ultimately useless.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
75% sure the debuff will be the sunlight sensitivity debuff from the drow.
Sunlight Sensitivity. You have disadvantage on attack rolls and Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of the attack, or whatever you are trying to perceive is in direct sunlight.

Since this is incredibly crippling I am also assuming that they will use the Divinity OS undead mechanic for determining the debuff. So if you wear anything resembling a fullhelm this crippling debuff gets completely ignored. That is how Drow are played in a lot of games, because they are otherwise awfull and for worse than any other subrace.

ChildInTime

Learned
Sunlight Sensitivity. You have disadvantage on attack rolls and Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of the attack, or whatever you are trying to perceive is in direct sunlight.

Since this is incredibly crippling I am also assuming that they will use the Divinity OS undead mechanic for determining the debuff. So if you wear anything resembling a fullhelm this crippling debuff gets completely ignored. That is how Drow are played in a lot of games, because they are otherwise awfull and for worse than any other subrace.
Remove the 20 radiant damage from the sun and we are good to go with all the other penalties applied at all times during the day.

Vampire Weaknesses
The Vampire has the following flaws:
Forbiddance: The Vampire can't enter a residence without an invitation from one of the occupants.
Harmed by Running Water: The Vampire takes 20 acid damage when it ends its turn in running water.
Stake to the Heart: The Vampire is destroyed if a piercing weapon made of wood is driven into its heart while it is Incapacitated in its resting place.
Sunlight Hypersensitivity: The Vampire takes 20 radiant damage when it starts its turn in sunlight. While in sunlight, it has disadvantage on Attack rolls and Ability Checks.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron

Remove the 20 radiant damage from the sun and we are good to go with all the other penalties applied at all times during the day.

Vampire Weaknesses
The Vampire has the following flaws:
Forbiddance: The Vampire can't enter a residence without an invitation from one of the occupants.
Harmed by Running Water: The Vampire takes 20 acid damage when it ends its turn in running water.
Stake to the Heart: The Vampire is destroyed if a piercing weapon made of wood is driven into its heart while it is Incapacitated in its resting place.
Sunlight Hypersensitivity: The Vampire takes 20 radiant damage when it starts its turn in sunlight. While in sunlight, it has disadvantage on Attack rolls and Ability Checks.

Yeah, I also don't think the vampire playstile should be VTMB Malkavanian levels of crippling/gameplay morphing. That was cool because you were a single unit, micromanaging a party where one guy is such a special needs child sounds tedious.

Fordbiddance will probably be a flavour thing mostly, and maybe word off 1 or 2 solutions to quests, since they said they will count an invitation to a settlement as an invitation to every single house. Sure that is cool.
Harmed by running water is fine, will lead to some annoyance and hillarity without being obnoxious.
Stake to the Heart is more of a buff than a debuff, since the player is very unlikely to be attacked in his sleep. Maybe attacks while sleeping instagib the vamp?
Making Drow Sunlight Sens, removed by helmets, the fourth debuff should be a distinct enough gameplay change to make Vampires interesting.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

It's almost as if they aren't supposed to be played in the same context as other races. Imagine races actually having an impact on gameplay.

ChildInTime

Learned

PC's should't play as vampires in low level campaigns. It just doesn't work...
We got magical tadpoles, dragons, gith, nine hells and nautiloids - all at level 1. I think "low level, low magic, goblin slayer adventure" concept is being thrown out of the window by that point.

Codex Year of the Donut
A lot of games are doing it wrong.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron

It's almost as if they aren't supposed to be played in the same context as other races. Imagine races actually having an impact on gameplay.

The problem is that Drow are much much worse than High Elves and Wood Elves, even if you completely disregard the Sunlight Sensitivity. Yes +2dex +1 Cha is an interesting stat spread for a lot of classes, but so is +2 dex +1int and +2dex +1wis. Superior Darkvision and Drow Weapon Training is almost flavor, close to useless in play. This means you get Drow Magic (which is ok, not outstanding but ok) against +5 feet movement or a cantrip of your choice. Drow gets the short end of the stick even before sunlight sensitivity hits.

A lot of that is due to the way darkvision works. If darkvision let no light count as dim light aswell + 60 feet would be pretty deece. As it stands this is supposed to be their standout feature, and it is pretty bad.

Honestly even for an Underdark campaign most other elf subraces are better than drow.
That said I like the challenge of playing drow. Making stuff like the good old Devil Eyes+Darkness warlock or Drow sorcerers who do not have a single attack roll in their spell arsenal.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I wish Drow had some dank advantage in their super darkvision like the Gloom Stalker.

Umbral Sight
At 3rd level, you gain darkvision out to a range of 60 feet. If you already have darkvision from your race, its range increases by 30 feet.

You are also adept at evading creatures that rely on darkvision. While in darkness, you are invisible to any creature that relies on darkvision to see you in that darkness.

If there was any effective advantage to taking them I might actually see one at a table, and DMs would stop throwing compulsatory pity magic items at you that annulate the sunlight debuff.

http://dnd5ed.wikidot.com/ranger:gloom-stalker

I hope the Gloom Stalker makes it to BG3 eventually, perhaps in an old school expansion. Noone can say that a Ranger is a bad class with that.

http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/ranger:horizon-walker

This is the other subclass that is good enough to be at Hunter level or above, which I mentioned before.

Elex

Arbiter
I understand that people is retarded: but this is too much.

how someone can think they will give disadvantage under daylight to a rogue????
Disadvantage to attack mean they can’t use sneak attack.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I understand that people is retarded: but this is too much.

how someone can think they will give disadvantage under daylight to a rogue????
Disadvantage to attack mean they can’t use sneak attack.

That is precisely why I think they will use the hide undead mechanic. Permanent disadvantage cripples some classes extremely hard. I don't think they want to make that vampire boy hidden omega hard mode.

Naraya

Arcane
Vampire books for grown ups > Dan Simmons (Carrion Comfort)
Is it good? Worth reading? I glimpsed at the wikipedia entry and had a WTF I am reading moment:

The amoral villains of the novel, both 'The Trio' and 'The Island Club,' are often portrayed as harboring some level of racism and sexism, and often in extreme cases such as ex-SS officer Willi and Melanie Fuller's background in pre-war Austria and the segregationist south of the United States.

ChildInTime

Learned
Vampire books for grown ups > Dan Simmons (Carrion Comfort)
Is it good? Worth reading? I glimpsed at the wikipedia entry and had a WTF I am reading moment:

The amoral villains of the novel, both 'The Trio' and 'The Island Club,' are often portrayed as harboring some level of racism and sexism, and often in extreme cases such as ex-SS officer Willi and Melanie Fuller's background in pre-war Austria and the segregationist south of the United States.
Don't believe his lies. It's not a vampire novel and it's shit.

Go read Vampire of the Mists if you want the D&D vampire flavor, it's not a bad book, despite being written by Christie Golden, it even has THE vampire poster boy Strahd in it.

Gargaune

Magister
Which is kind of dumb, if you think about it. A drow's problem in daylight is that their eyes aren't used to taking in that much light, not that their skin suddenly ignites under the sun. Peering through a full helm's visor might somewhat mitigate the issue, but then you should have perception penalties from having to look around through a slit. Then again, that would apply to any fighter with his visor down.

See, this is what happens when your games aren't designed by Dan Vavra. Tsk tsk.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom