Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Translation release for Wizardry Gaiden I - Suffering of The Queen!!

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Seems to be a bug with some monsters.
My guys can't hit Thunderballs (I assume they are the same as Lightning Ball) at all, and even with -38 AC (through multiple casting of the Prayer spell) they have no problems hitting my guys, and they paralyze with every hit.
They are immune to every kind of spell as well.
In fact the only thing that seems to be able to hit them is summoned monsters, but demons usually cast spells instead of meleeing, and Fuzzballs don't do anything at all.
So I'm throwing in the towel, unless Grauken can find a chink in their armour.

Lightning Ball
Japanese: Raitoningu Bo-ru Unidentified:
Unidentified Entity
Japanese: Shoutaifumei no Sonzai Classification:
Magical Creature
Japanese: Mahou Seibutsu

WZD_SotQ_lightning_ball_sprite.gif

Lightning Ball

WZD_SotQ_u_tiny_object_sprite_zps2cdad990.gif~original

Unidentified Entity Experience Level:
9 Experience Points:
Hit Points:
34-43 (9d2+25)
Average: 38.5 Armor Class:
Number Appearing:
1-2 (1d2)
Average: 1.5 Physical Attacks:
  • 2-32 (2d16) damage. Average: 17
  • 10-24 (2d8+8) damage. Average: 17
  • 10-24 (2d8+8) damage. Average: 17
  • Can attack party members in the back row.
  • May cause paralysis and petrification.
Maximum damage range: 22-80. Average: 51
Special Properties:
  • Regenerates 2 hit points per round.
  • Universal spell resistance (98%).
  • Resistant to fire, cold, non-elemental, and petrification.
Encounters:
  • Never friendly.
  • Can be found in RB5, RB4, and RB3.
  • Rarely accompanied by additional Lightning Ball groups (5% chance.)

Have you tried using your save game with the unmodified Japanese rom to see whether they behave the same way?

Also, at what level is your party currently?

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Save game doesn't work with Japanese version.

Characters are lvl 13.
Grinding is not an option.

I tried some more and was able to do like 1-2 damage occasionally.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Well, at this point you have to either give up or use save stats to get around fights with them.

I'll check whether I find a "chink" in their armor, but if you haven't I'm not too optimistic about it

octavius

Arcane
Patron
A guy I worked with and me always used to joke "what would MacGyver do in a situation like this?" when problems arose at work.
Now I'm tempted to ask "what would aweigh do in a situation like this?"

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I bet Grauken is grinding furiously now.

I wish I had had the time for this, only now got a bit of gaming done. Finished the boss of the first dungeon (flack is just his jester, you meet him, the boss and a couple of henchmen), with my chars around level 12 or 13. Next up mapping the Reverse Basement

XTSwtOU.png

56U8CWm.png

m7usTjq.png

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
So, did you encounter any of my arch enemies?

And did you have any problems with the first boss?

First boss took me only a couple of tries. Then I got lucky when I went all out and killed him and most of the henchmen in just two rounds

As for your will o wisps, so far they are immune to most of what I throw at them, although a couple of meteors and nuclears got through and killed some of them, but I don't have enough spells at that high level yet to make it a common strategy, so I usually just run when I get into a fight with them. I think if I level up a couple of levels it should be doable to kill them more easily

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Sounds like your guys are higher level than mine was at this stage.

It definitely helps to have 2 pure mages throughout the last couple of levels, they basically clean out most larger crowds with my samurai and fighter working as tanks. I also found some good stuff for my samurai, best of all an Otenta sword that does 10-18 damage.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Level 4 has a hub of a sort, that transport you to level 2 or stairs that go to level 3, which connect all in some way and give you more of a glimpse of what is to come as really access to those levels. Also, the game really does everything now. One-way teleporter, two-way teleporter, one-way stairs, two-way stairs. And for the first time, the stairs don't always correctly align between levels, which they have done so far.

b2eCv5F.png

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Probably as far as I get this weekend. The game really makes you go all over the place here. Level 4 to Level 2 feel like they are really a set, lots of portals, stairs and chutes (there's one weird chute where you basically fall upwards from Level 4 to Level 2) connect them, not always 2-ways, sometimes, one teleporter ends in a rift portal that sends you to another places and so on. It's been fun exploring it so far, mostly because with two mages at level 15 you have enough warp spells to get out of all tight places, and also to restart exploring where you left off to lurk back to the city.

xMMJXeg.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom