Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Xenonauts - XCOM-like set during the Cold War

ArchAngel

Arcane
I really had no interest in the air combat mini game but maybe I'll have to give it a shot. I'll check out the video.

I tried it 2/3 times and found it terrible, went for auto only, which works fairly well, tell me if you get a way to make it work manually and if it's worth it and interesting.
Air combat is fairly easy, you just need to use small craft vs enemy small craft and be ready to pause when they fire projectiles so you can dodge them using the dodge button. The other aircraft cannot dodge so you only use that one to fire long range missiles vs big alien ships (that cannot dodge) and tell them to leave combat asap.

ArchAngel

Arcane
am i the only one around here who liked the air combat minigame? :negative:
I was good at it but I never really enjoyed it. Once you learned how to do the manual combat you could win almost anything with barely any damage and it became just busywork. And auto combat would lose you aircraft in same battles. At that point I would rather have UFO 1994 air combat where you basically won every "auto combat"

Saduj

Arcane
Corsair isn't exactly a game changer but Corsair + 2 Foxtrots is 100% victory against Corvette + 2 fighters. Although as mentioned above, that can still involve significant damage.

Generally feeling better about my game. On the last day of month three and I'm expecting another drop in funding but only by $22K thanks to handling of terror site in Russia. Still have Poor relations with most of the world but the projected negative funding dropped in the 2nd half of November so I'm pissing people off less at least. Men are on their way to two crash sites as of my last save so December should get off to a good start....

Question for anyone who might know: Does a country defect to the alien side only when their funding level reaches zero? Or is it something like there is a chance a region will defect if they have Poor relations? If it is the latter, I still might be fucked.

Edit: Just learned that relations can be worse than "Poor". Guessing it goes from "Bad" to dropping out....

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
To think the casuals voted pilots with experience system/psi mods/and bunker busters as being a less important stretch goals than female sprites....something a modder could have added in...
:despair:

desocupado

Magister
Hey dudes, anybody can indicate some cool mods for this?

I played the first time with the Community Edition a couple years ago. Anybody tried that X-Division and/or Into Darkness mods? Are they cool? Are they properly balanced? Do they have retarded stuff?

One of the things I found lame in the original is the weapons progression. It's always the same weapon + more damage. More variety and differences between tech would be cool.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Just started playing this, is there a way to adjust font size? Tooltip windows are too small for the amount of text in them. So I only get half the information from them.

TheSoul

Scholar
Been playing this game for the past two weeks with the community edition on veteran. Took me 3 tries before I learned to prepare ahead of time for the onslaught of ufos.

The changes to the geoscape were mostly good imo, although workshops <<< labs since they can't produce income anymore and there's a lot of moments where I don't have anything to build. My other issue is that ufo patterns seem completely random, so sometimes they just roam the ocean and I cant salvage anything but if I reload they just stay on land and zigzag.

Battlescape has a lot of weird issues though. Line of sight is incredibly jank, which makes breaching ufos a pain in the ass. Squads feel a bit too small until I could use 10 people, since you fight a similar number of aliens like in x-com with 1/2 as many people who die just as easily as in the original. It also makes bringing a sniper or heavy not worth it with only 8 people because covering ground matters more (This might just be me being retarded).

Also not including "secondary" items like mind probes and tracking devices annoys me, because enemies just seem to camp behind ufo doors (fuck these things) and knowing where they are would make going in a lot less frustrating.

Despite this sounding like me hating the game, I am enjoying my time with this a lot, and the game still feels a lot like x-com. A lot more optimistic about xenonauts 2 than I originally was.

geno

Savant
My main complain is that it seems all the missions are crash sites. It gets stale after some months when that's all you do. Also the lack of weapon choices, which I kinda fixed downloading a mod to add more.

Wened

Educated
Is the "X-division" mod far better experience than vanila+X:CE?

Does it take more time to finish?

Im torn between learning how to play in vanila or jumping at all that sweet gear in x-division (Vanilla gear seems bornig)

Norfleet

am i the only one around here who liked the air combat minigame? :negative:
I liked it because it added the element of gudness to it. it annoys me when systems botch tasks I consider to be easy, so the option to do it yourself is always welcome.

It also makes bringing a sniper or heavy not worth it with only 8 people because covering ground matters more (This might just be me being retarded).
See, I had exactly the opposite impression, that standard riflemen weren't worth shit until you got the final tiers of weapons. This is because the middle tiers of weapons do not represent a strict improvement over the starter guns due to their much lower ammo capacity and extreme cost, and money is extremely tight in this game.

Thus I just spammed machinegunners and saturated the battlefield in lead until I got to the railguns.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom