Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Do you even play new RPGs anymore?

Are you an RPG GaM3r?

• Yeah I'm into Fallout 3, DIVOS, Pillars, BG3 and dirty underwear

• No

• KC

Results are only viewable after voting.

Alex

Arcane
Aside from Tale of Wuxia which I played recently and enjoyed very much, I very rarely play any RPGs anymore. There's nothing worth playing, which is also mostly why I very rarely post here.

You should try Grimoire, if you like blobbers at all.

Terenty

Liturgist
Give it a try. Imho, it rivals all time classics in terms of non linearity(different factions, conflicting questlines, all npcs can be killed without game over), party members, itemisation, progression system, combat etc. Plus it has stellar soundtrack and voice acting. The only caveat is it's strictly turn based, even without enemies

Max Heap

Arcane
Of course I play modern games.

I just don't play modern AAA games.
The whole western AAA industry can go to hell for all I care.
I'd rather go through a hundred Underworld Ascendants than pay a single dime to a company like EA.

As for RPGs:
I'm waiting for the new Pathfinder. Generally it's like one or two RPGs per year I'm interested in.
And that's fine, cause there is a shitton of RPGs in my backlog anyway. I haven't even finished Elminage yet.

Edit:
Fallout 3 is not a "new" RPG by the way.
It's been 12 years. You have to let go.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I think Deadfire was the last "proper" new RPG I've played chronologically. What a waste of time.

ATOM RPG also came out in 2018 and it was good, but retro. And Deadfire is also retro. And Numenera is also retro.

Just embrace Disco Elysium, everyone.

JoonaAhonen

Prospernaut
Shitposter
I think Deadfire was the last "proper" new RPG I've played chronologically. What a waste of time.

ATOM RPG also came out in 2018 and it was good, but retro. And Deadfire is also retro. And Numenera is also retro.

Just embrace Disco Elysium, everyone.
If I wanted to read a fucking book, I would. But I haven't and don't intend to. I want an RPG game. I do agree that ATOM is good, and it's nice to finally have a Fallout game after these decades.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Usually I wait a few years until the game is fully patched and on a sale. However, I broke the rule several times last year. I played Disco Elysium, Greedfall and Outer Worlds right after they were released. The first one was a masterpiece, the others were okay and also, surprisingly, quite free of bugs. So it is possible, although not very often occurance.

JoonaAhonen

Prospernaut
Shitposter
Yeah, so get on it! RPGs are games like Wasteland and Fallout. Disco Elysium is nothing like them, and you have to be a retard to think it is. You are a pathetic nerd, looking to live in some fantasy novel, imstead of a gamer that wants to play a good fucking game. An RPG game.

The developers of Disco Elysiym simply knew they could never compete in the book market, because their book is shit, and the only way it isn't shit is by calling it an RPG game. Any kind of shit can be called "RPG" and then it's totally acceptable. RPG has a definition but it's now changed into "really pathetic game" instead of "role playing game". Assassins creed odyssey is rpg lol. Because it sucks and it's no longer good like the first game.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
The poll lack an obvious option:

- I never played CRPGs in my life

In other news this thread has a surprisingly good ratio of good to bad posts: CryptRat short recap of what's to play in the genre. Bester's first post about storyfags (except that part about reading for 14 hours/day, that's disturbing). Even TemplarGR made only 50% of troll posts (of 2).

JoonaAhonen

Prospernaut
Shitposter
Does anyone want to actually defend why disco elysiummm is anything more than a "" "" profound" "" story?? A story that has been done a million times? A story many have lived thenselves?? The story that few of the drunk retards can live to tell, and even fewer care?

Literally all yoy have to do to write dickso elysiummm is to binge drink for 5 years and forcefully masturbate 2 times every day, even though you have no libido. Mayve you don't have the perspective to understand thus, but to me it's obvious the developers are your typical antisocial communist alcoholics. The politics are shall8w and stupid too, and they misrepresenr everything. Becayse they don't know shit about their beloved comunism either. Becausw they're foolish drunks that think they know, but don't actually care enough to know..

And vefore someone says it: yes, i am autistic and it is my super power. It makes me ligical and rational when neuritypicals think with feelings. I only want to help so please don't get offended and if you do tell me why. I want a sincere argument where I can finally show thge codex why elysiumm is no rpg.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You know what? I agree with you, entirely. However-
You're still retarded. Can't you articulate your thoughts more eloquently? It would also help if you fact check your statements first. For example, you wrote the creators of DE couldn't compete on the book market - which is, you'll agree, a dumb statement seeing as the lead writer is a published, semi-famous author.

I agree with you that the game isn't written that well and that it's not an RPG but you should structure your thoughts better or you're embarrassing those who agree with you, like Master Planetar does to religious people.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, 1000 more than I sold, but I admit, I didn't check the sales before I posted that so shame on me. Still got a decent review in some magazine.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
lead writer is a published, semi-famous author

He sold 1000 copies iirc

which is still 1000 copies more than me :negative:

In Estonia it has to be a decent number.

If someone in Poland sold 30 000 copies (population of Poland is roughly 30 times larger than that of Estonia) it would be considered a big success, especially for a first time writer.

Last edited:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Well, 1000 more than I sold, but I admit, I didn't check the sales before I posted that so shame on me. Still got a decent review in some magazine.

You meant Robert Kurvitz, right? Because they had the other, actual publishing author onboard, some Kaur Kender who was also responsible for the finances (and apparently was more succesful in both instances).

JoonaAhonen

Prospernaut
Shitposter
Wow, all this info surfacing; can't wait to see who will be the retard in the end!! Well obviously Jasede is intellectually inferior... Insulting my typing lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom