Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Photo-realistic Graphics lead to decline in RPGs?

Azdul

Magister
Sometimes realistic depiction of gameplay system would make it immediately obvious how stupid it is. Missing point-blank shots in Xcom or early Civilization RNG combat comes to mind.

Sometimes gameplay is designed in a way that realistic visual feedback would be completely unreadable. So rainbow puke on the screen with hundreds of icons and floating numbers is the only possible choice.

And only in very rare cases gameplay is solid, but the author is insane, and it takes hundreds of people to convince him that colored circles is not a better choice than drawing little people.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
We have this topic every ten years, just try to find the old thread from 2009 or so.
Typical newfag, endlessly discussing old things...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
When I was young reading the manual, guidebook or paragraph book was the best part of the game. Really got your imagination going. And thanks to the kindled imagination, the actual graphic fidelity was completely unimportant. Wireframe or pixels, it all looked great in the mind.
The human brain is great at patterns and at inference. When fidelity is not there, it fills in the blanks. And it does this favorably.

This means a high fidelity game will have less blanks filled in - but reality is never as good as your imagination, because in your imagination, it's not true to life, but rather, better than life, and hence superior.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well ok. But i dont think there is that genre. Maybe some car racing game with realistic damage model. But even there there are never explosions? You would think in games at least explosions would look great by now. But they are all kind of lame and have no effect on the environment.

Most race sims i know don't bother with any extensive damage model, they at best just put some change is texture and the like, if at all. Project Cars had the best damage system i've seen recently and it's not that complex either.

It's just not a priority for people who play those games.

With that said, i already mentioned that 9/11 is the reason Microsoft doesn't bother with that anymore. I remember in the older flight simulator they actually removed crash animations after 9/11. Retarded boomers are to blame i guess. What you DID get on a lot of add on aircrafts was system failures. Those are much more meaningful to players of those type of games than some crash animation.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
With racing games, part of the reason why they don't model damage so well is that they usually have deals with the manufacturers of the vehicles. They're not keen on seeing their vehicles ripped apart and they certainly won't be keen on Youtube videos of their cars getting ripped to shreds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom