Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: HR with GMDXv9 or Deus Ex: HR Directors Cut?

Phos

Hi guys, I've finally got the time to play Deus Ex: Human Revolution for the first time in my life, however I am unsure whether to play it with the classic version plus the GMDXv9 mod (or some other, better mod?) or the directors cut version (with or without any mods?).

I would be very grateful to you guys if you could recommend me the best way to play this game. Thank you.

https://www.moddb.com/games/deus-ex-3/news/gmdx-announcement

Last edited by a moderator:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I'm pretty sure GMDX is just for the original, not HR. Just play the Director's Cut as it is.

Butter

Arcane
Patron

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
GMDX mod is only for the original deus ex, made by rpgcodex resident Ash (previously known as CyberP) :
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/gmdx-deus-ex-advancement-mod-v9-released.85250/
and it's a great mod BTW.

DX:HR director's cut advantage over the original game + expansion is that it adds non-combat options to a couple of boss fights. Its disadvantage is IIRC that it has some crappy textures and performance bugs that didn't exist in the original game since DC was ported to PC directly from consoles and didn't use all original pc assets.

The easiest way to play it now though is the DC so you should probably go for that.

J1M

Arcane
Since ghostdog answered the question fully I will add something related. The Missing Link DLC is perhaps the only worthwhile DLC the game industry has produced. Definitely worth a look after you finish the main game. It's a self-contained place to play around with the systems at an accelerated pace of character progression. The other DLC has no value.

Mitleser2020

Scholar
DX:HR director's cut advantage over the original game + expansion is that it adds non-combat options to a couple of boss fights. Its disadvantage is IIRC that it has some crappy textures and performance bugs that didn't exist in the original game since DC was ported to PC directly from consoles and didn't use all original pc assets.

DC did also remove the gold filter.

Fortunately, it can be restored.

Gold Filter Restoration

Funposter

Arcane
GMDX mod is only for the original deus ex, made by rpgcodex resident Ash (previously known as CyberP) :
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/gmdx-deus-ex-advancement-mod-v9-released.85250/
and it's a great mod BTW.

The easiest way to play it now though is the DC so you should probably go for that.
Director's Cut also forces the player to play through the Missing Link DLC, which ends up giving you a lot of extra Praxis kits and unbalances an already very easy game.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Missing Link is one of the more memorable and enjoyable parts of HR though. I like when games take your shit away and recreate the early game tension of being scared of everything (MJ12, Dead Money, etc).

JDR13

Arcane
Director's Cut also forces the player to play through the Missing Link DLC, which ends up giving you a lot of extra Praxis kits and unbalances an already very easy game.

Hmm... It's been awile since I played the Director's Cut, but I don't think that's how it works. From what I remember, you're stripped of whatever praxis points you had before going there, and you don't keep the extra points you gain.

Unwanted
I didn't like Missing Link at all and I think it clashed badly within the main campaign, bogging down the game's progression pace. Give me vanilla HR all day long.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Hmm... It's been awile since I played the Director's Cut, but I don't think that's how it works. From what I remember, you're stripped of whatever praxis points you had before going there, and you don't keep the extra points you gain.

Maybe they patched it, but when it came out you got all your original Praxis back as well. Also there's a silent sniper right at the start and other balance breaking stuff, plus the game looks and performs worse because it was redesigned for WiiU. The original version is vastly superior IMO.

J1M

Arcane
The "non-combat" cheat to bypass the bosses in the original version is to use some Typhoon ammo. No hacking terminals required. :smug:

In all seriousness though, I find it more enjoyable to play through these new DX games by restricting myself to only augmentations. No guns. Never really felt that way about the original.

JDR13

Arcane

Maybe they patched it, but when it came out you got all your original Praxis back as well. Also there's a silent sniper right at the start and other balance breaking stuff, plus the game looks and performs worse because it was redesigned for WiiU. The original version is vastly superior IMO.

Regarding the Praxis points, it's possible I'm getting the two versions mixed up since I've played through both. As far as the DC being inferior though, it certainly wasn't for me. It performed just fine, and it looked a lot better due to not having that god-awful gold filter. Plus the alternate boss strategies were a nice addition. Prior to those being added, the boss encounters were the worst parts of the game.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Not only the Missing link screws with late-game balance by giving player a ton of praxis points, it also messes up the pacing. It is essentially a 6 hours long side-plot that forcibly interrupts your mission of saving a lost girlfriend.

Funposter

Arcane
The "non-combat" cheat to bypass the bosses in the original version is to use some Typhoon ammo. No hacking terminals required. :smug:

I get why people want non-lethal ways of dealing with the bosses, but it's just easier to accept that they were poorly designed. Even if you're doing a 100% non-lethal run, you have more than enough inventory space to just fully upgrade an AR and carry a few hundred rounds of ammo for it. Honestly, the game gives you so much EXP and equipment if you play it correctly, that you're spending most of your time messing around with item orientations in the inventory like it's Resident Evil 4.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I recently replayed DE:HR with the director's cut. It was mostly fine, but I ran into a gamebreaking bug that needed console commands to fix. In my experience, the addition of the Missing Link praxis kits doesn't do much damage because you already have everything you need for your playstyle by that point. If you want the piss filter, that can be restored.

Kainan

Learned

DC did also remove the gold filter.

Fortunately, it can be restored.

Gold Filter Restoration

I never cared about this girlfriend of his. Just talks and talks and wears a fuckton of makeup on the job and has some stupid plastic stuck in her hair.

J1M

Arcane
I am very disturbed that none of you are referring to her as his ex girlfriend.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
HR's trendy shit didn't age so well, did it. Jensen's style stopped being cool 6 months after the game came out I assume. Seeing this poor guy smoke his heart out and looking out the window with his gelled hair and a deeply painful look on his face, you just wish you could put him out his misery

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Regarding the Praxis points, it's possible I'm getting the two versions mixed up since I've played through both. As far as the DC being inferior though, it certainly wasn't for me. It performed just fine, and it looked a lot better due to not having that god-awful gold filter. Plus the alternate boss strategies were a nice addition. Prior to those being added, the boss encounters were the worst parts of the game.

I think we've had this debate before, I can only tell you my experience. Silenced sniper rifle in the first "dungeon" breaks the game. Automatic hackers that work on anything from the start break the game. Removal of gold filter is very subjective as good, but either way the textures and lighting effects are also frequently worse. There are comparison pictures online you can look at, you don't have to take my word for it. Missing Link was meant as a standalone experience and ruins the pacing of the game, as well as overpowering you even more in a game where you're already overpowered. Obviously you can still prefer it, but these are factual observations.

JDR13

Arcane

I think we've had this debate before, I can only tell you my experience. Silenced sniper rifle in the first "dungeon" breaks the game. Automatic hackers that work on anything from the start break the game. Removal of gold filter is very subjective as good, but either way the textures and lighting effects are also frequently worse. There are comparison pictures online you can look at, you don't have to take my word for it. Missing Link was meant as a standalone experience and ruins the pacing of the game, as well as overpowering you even more in a game where you're already overpowered. Obviously you can still prefer it, but these are factual observations.

I know I don't need to take your word for it. As I've mentioned, I've played both versions to completion.

The DLC stuff is indeed a little overpowered, but that's nothing unusual. That's how most DLC items are in any game. It's not as if anyone is forcing you to use the sniper rifle though. It's completely optional. Also, it's still easy to max out your skill tree in the original version by the end of the game. You just reach that point earlier in the DC version. If someone is worried about being overpowered though, all they have to do is simply not use the Praxis points. Factual observations. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom