Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate companion illustrations from James Ohlen's Heroes of Baldur's Gate tabletop adventure

hello friend

Arcane
All this talk about Xzar's tattoos, but what really stands out to me now that I take a closer look is WTF WHAT ARE THOSE GIGANTIC TEETH

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I haven't read any of this as I'm afraid of it visually or literally tainting my brain's memories and concepts of who the party members are. Having said that: James Ohlen was the lead designer of BG1.

So if they made this into an infinity engine game at Beamdog; would it be shit?.

-Suppose I'm farming for shit tags there. But I'm just curious. Please bear in mind - I'm just curious because it's cool he's involved (would have been better if Lucas Krisjansen was) but I don't have a fucking scat fetish.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Dynaheir - The eternal confusion about the looks and inspirations behind Rashemi people continues...
Coran - It's fine...
Imoen - I like it. Needs more pink.
Jaheira - It's fine. A bit too generic.
Khalid - Calimshan look is a plus. But c'mon, he shouldn't look so confident.
Minsc - There's something wrong with this picture, but I can't quite put a finger on it. It drives me crazy. Perspective? Proportions?
Xan - Generic bishounen.
Edwin - Very good.
Faldorn - Generic popamole. The artist is not capable of drawing ugly women.
Kagain - Very good.
Kivan - It's not bad, but at this point I'm getting sick of this bishounen look.
Montaron - Eh. I have a soft spot for Xzar and Monty, so I'm rather hostile to redesigns.
Viconia - Might be my favourite.
Xzar - Gamers rise up. I hate it.

TLDR - the artist clearly has some comfort zones and hates leaving them.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I thought Xan was Imoen. Pretty sure this is the second time I've seen this, but kinda forgot.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

Sometimes the most handsome men (like Cary Grant) lack confidence because chicks shit test them so hard to signal chastity/assume they're only after the quick lay (chicks with confidence issues of their own). I think it's a great twist on the original, which was just all around pathetic. Calimshan look A+.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

Sometimes the most handsome men (like Cary Grant) lack confidence because chicks shit test them so hard to signal chastity/assume they're only after the quick lay (chicks with confidence issues of their own). I think it's a great twist on the original, which was just all around pathetic. Calimshan look A+.

I would never like to be handsome, truth be told. My brother is, at least according to all the women in my family, and I could witness first-hand just how pathetic women are in their behaviour towards handsome men and, much worse, how deceitful and dishonest. At least when you're ugly, or Stalin in my case, you get honestly shat on.

Codex Year of the Donut
I agree with whoever said that it looks like the pictures were drawn as if they were posing for a camera. Many of them even have them standing on some sort of ledge for some reason.

Codex Year of the Donut
That's not entirely correct. There are quite a few banters, but often so obscure and hidden that barely anyone sees them. For example - which of you gentlemen has ever witnessed the two dialogues between Xan and Xzar? I guess next to no one.
One of or possibly the most detailed(and probably least known about) inter-companion relationships happens between Alora and Edwin. They actually become friends and Edwin has a soft-spot for her.
Doubt many people ever had them in the same party though.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I doubt many people take Alora with them in general, regardless of party composition. She comes in the picture way too late. I certainly never took her, and she being a pure Thief is not ideal.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
That's not entirely correct. There are quite a few banters, but often so obscure and hidden that barely anyone sees them. For example - which of you gentlemen has ever witnessed the two dialogues between Xan and Xzar? I guess next to no one.
What dialogues? I'm sure I played the game with both Xan and Xzar in the party, but I can't remember anything.

One of or possibly the most detailed(and probably least known about) inter-companion relationships happens between Alora and Edwin. They actually become friends and Edwin has a soft-spot for her.
Almost everyone has a character that triggers a lot of dialogues. Alora - Edwin, Coran - Safana, Viconia - Kivan, Quayle - Tiax, Yeslick - Kagain, Shar-Teel - Eldoth, Faldorn - Jaheira.

I doubt many people take Alora with them in general, regardless of party composition. She comes in the picture way too late. I certainly never took her, and she being a pure Thief is not ideal.
The relationship between Alora and Edwin is amusing because, while he usually is the stereotypical evil mage, with her he behaves in a completely different way. He almost is kind and affectionate, and he develops with her a genuinely wholesome friendship.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
What dialogues? I'm sure I played the game with both Xan and Xzar in the party, but I can't remember anything.

Almost everyone has a character that triggers a lot of dialogues. Alora - Edwin, Coran - Safana, Viconia - Kivan, Quayle - Tiax, Yeslick - Kagain, Shar-Teel - Eldoth, Faldorn - Jaheira.

The relationship between Alora and Edwin is amusing because, while he usually is the stereotypical evil mage, with her he behaves in a completely different way. He almost is kind and affectionate, and he develops with her a genuinely wholesome friendship.

Man, you guys really want to make me replay BG1 while I wait for BG3. Alora and Xan aswell as Xan and Edwin have good dialogue aswell, so Xan/Edwin/Alora are a given. I have read that Xan stops Ajantis from attacking Edwin with FACTS AND LOGIC so that would make a good 4th man.

Does anyone know some good banter for the fifth NPC? If I go Alora/Edwin/Xan/Ajantis. Also MC would probably have to be divine caster, since those are two wizards, a paladin and a thief. Perhaps I run a full druid, I don't think I ever did that.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Man, you guys really want to make me replay BG1 while I wait for BG3. Alora and Xan aswell as Xan and Edwin have good dialogue aswell, so Xan/Edwin/Alora are a given. I have read that Xan stops Ajantis from attacking Edwin with FACTS AND LOGIC so that would make a good 4th man.

Does anyone know some good banter for the fifth NPC? If I go Alora/Edwin/Xan/Ajantis. Also MC would probably have to be divine caster, since those are two wizards, a paladin and a thief. Perhaps I run a full druid, I don't think I ever did that.
If you want banters then install the NPC Project and everyone will talk to eachother. The amount of "banters" in vanilla BG1 is miniscule (and they're not really banters, characters rarely speak more than one line per interaction). Also a bunch of the combinations NJClaw posted above have a chance of turning violent.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Khalid new pic fits perfectly. You all looking at shield, just look at his hand instead - he's not wearing gauntlet so his nagging wife can see he's wearing wedding ring at all times.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Playing BG1 for party banter without mods is a fool's errand. Even with a party built around that, you will probably get less than a new line per hour.

If you have Edwin in your party, you probably want Minsc and Dynaheir for as long as you can. They obviously skirmish a lot, and if you manage to keep them all alive until you reach Baldur's Gate, there's a dialogue where they verbally assault Edwin and Alora defends him. Alora also has a couple of lines with Minsc and Xan. Ajantis is a cool dude, but he doesn't have that many lines. You could just leave him and fill the two remaining slots with Quayle and Tiax.

Eldoth, Skie, Garrick and Shar-Teel have a lot of dialogues (compared to everyone else, of course) that you probably have never heard, and Eldoth also talks with Xan a bit. You could go for a full-incel party with Eldoth, Skie, Garrick, Kivan, and Viconia, and then drop Kivan and Viconia for Shar-Teel when they kill each other.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom