Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ostranauts - spaceship management sim set in NEO Scavenger universe - now available on Early Access

Mortmal

Arcane
I get it its cheap testing for big studios , but for a small indie is it worth the reputation hit ? The first thing you look at for indie games , those have already very poor visibility , are the steam review, mixed = complete shit , so people wont look further.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I don't know. But I don't see how he could release this game without massive testing, so it seems like a double bind.

Some of the reviews, incidentally, seem very Codexian!

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I get it its cheap testing for big studios , but for a small indie is it worth the reputation hit ? The first thing you look at for indie games , those have already very poor visibility , are the steam review, mixed = complete shit , so people wont look further.

I mean, it's early access, so it's not that bad. Yet. Steam's review algo doesn't even include EA reviews for search purposes.

Naerydan

Educated
Bought it because it's the right thing to do, no discussion. Right now it's a friggin' mess, though; feels like I'm playing a proof of concept. Potential is definitely there, it'll be good. Daniel gave us NEO Scavenger, I trust the man wholeheartedly.

Jinn

Arcane
Buying this day one for several reasons. Loved Neo Scavenger, like that this takes place in the same universe as Neo Scavenger, love the entire concept of this game, gameplay looks truly unique, enjoy the aesthetic, and Daniel Fedor has always seemed like a really cool guy.

Sorry to see it getting kind of slammed by the steam reviews. I guess people really don't understand the concept of Early Access? Either way, take my money and do great things with it!

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Negative reviews all seem related to bugs (which presumably will be fixed) or political concerns.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1022980/view/5314766837575352857
Ostranauts Early Access Player-Driven Roadmap and we hear you!
Bug fixing later today and what to expect next

Hey Folks,

We hear ya! After reading your feedback, we are already tackling the most urgent bugs. Keep the reviews coming because this game is meant to be a project done with you. An update is coming later today to fix some of the major bugs.

We are excited to share with you our player-driven roadmap for the next approximate 2 years of early access of the game! You’ve read that right, you’re the ones that will decide what should be done in priority in the game.

Player-Driven Roadmap
df309cc47a9b9ba8fa0c72add8fef54160467aa5.png

A player-driven voting system will soon be introduced, where you, early access players, will be able to vote on what upcoming features should be prioritised.

We also wanted to make it clear now what to expect in general so you know what you are getting into.

Planned Features FAQs
4220c1ab864481c20f4a9b43ab7e225133c8b32c.png

Join our Discord

Finally don’t hesitate to join the Blue Bottle Games Discord to join our amazing community and discuss together about the current state of the game, the lore and what to expect in the future.

This is the beginning of a community adventure, thank you for your support and see you very soon for more updates! Let’s survive in space together!

Hellraiser

Arcane
Zero G would be nice, because holes in the floor are pissing me off and zero g is not explored a whole lot in games, especially not in regards to how easy it is to become stuck if you can't push yourself off of a surface. Although what I really would like is easier job scheduling, for example salvaging floor tiles and hauling them to your airlock is something I would like to be able to automate/schedule somehow as it is a pain to do now.

Other than that the feature list looks ok, although both ship combat and personal combat should be a yes. One cannot LARP Firefly or the Expanse without at least some brawls or firefights. Also I want to board shit and live the very risky life of a space pirate.

Anyway I played some more and I found some nice ships which I tried to salvage, one was in shitty condition but it seems someone tried to salvage it before and left some gear around, including a lot of loose floor tiles I took. Flew to a bunch of other wrecks and found a better ship with less holes to plug, which would be made even easier to pressurize thanks to the looted floor tiles. Sadly I keep eventually getting the same bug which makes the game impossible to play/continue, so this attempt came to an anticlimatic end. I'll just wait for the next update before playing more, maybe it will be fixed.

Furthermore despite not liking the idea when it was first presented, I grew fond of the reactor start sequence. You don't need to memorize it as it is already mentioned next to the control/status lights.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1022980/announcements/detail/5314766837576668628
Ostranauts Patch v0.6.1.8 Available
Hey Folks!

Ostranauts's first day in the wild was a crazy one, and not without its issues. A number of bugs appeared that I hadn't expected, and for that, I apologize!

That said, I have absolutely loved seeing the stories told about your first captains, and the glory (or demise) they found! Thank you for playing, and sharing.

We've been trying to keep up with feedback on forums here and elsewhere, and managed to get fixes in for several of the more common issues reported by users. Specifically, and in no particular order:

• Changed overloaded status to allow very slow walking, instead of no movement.
  • Changed starting salvage pod to have more power in batteries to start.
  • Fixed itm rotation infinite loop on loading save file.
  • Fixed pink noses on some characters.
  • Fixed time controls covering message log in some resolutions.
  • Fixed a bug that caused career kiosk to stop working if abandoned and resumed.
  • Fixed a bug that caused save slots to retain leftover data when deleted.
  • Fixed a bug that could cause corrupt save when saving game while crew in lost tiles.
  • Fixed a crash that would occur in pathfinding if origin tile was null.
  • Fixed a crash that would occur if loading a save destroyed a progress bar prematurely.
  • Fixed a bug that caused game to freeze when repairing a damaged wall.
  • Fixed a bug that caused items to move position when repaired or damaged.
  • Fixed a bug that caused battery control panel to always show 100%.
  • Fixed a bug that would cause game to crash when loading corrupt saves.
  • Fixed a bug that caused null exceptions when trying to get objects inside an already removed object.
  • Fixed a bug that caused ships to duplicate crew records on save.

It's a fair number of fixes, and a few tweaks, which should all get you in the game for longer stretches before you run into trouble. No doubt there are still some to fix.

Note that, even if you don't see your specific bug mentioned above, many of these were "silent" crashes that happened without showing any symptoms until later in the game. So some of the weirdness we saw could be a downstream issue caused by the above.

In any case, do let me know how the patch treats you, and whether your issues were resolved, or if you are still encountering any.

And know that we'll be on this for the long haul. I very much want this game to be something we can all play, create stories in, and share with others. First we fix the bugs. Then we start to get into the fun stuff ;)

Best,
Daniel Fedor
Founder, Blue Bottle Games

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1022980/announcements/detail/5314766837580035877
Ostranauts Patch v0.6.1.9 Available
Hey Folks!

Ostranauts v0.6.1.9 is now available on Steam, and your clients should be updating shortly. This patch continues to address several of the bugs reported by players in the first couple of days playing.

Specifically:
  • Fixed a bug that would cause the game to misbehave if an objective was completed before it finished animating.
  • Fixed a bug that caused player to get stuck in social UI after clicking destination on map.
  • Fixed a bug that caused NPCs to walk onto player's ship when not part of crew.
  • Fixed a bug that caused floors under exterior airlock to be irreplaceable.
  • Fixed a bug that caused encumbrance to have different effects from one ship to another.
  • Fixed a bug that caused Esc to make options menu reappear instead of escaping in-game quit menu.
  • Fixed a bug that caused player to be stuck in welding animation after abandoning uninstall process.
  • Fixed a bug that would cause EVA inventory grid to be obscured by other inventory grids.
  • Fixed a bug that caused animation sparks to get stuck on player in some cases.

With this list of changes, I think we're now starting to get much more stable games. And we're also able to start mixing quality of life fixes in with the bug fixes.

We'll continue to be fixing bugs as they are reported, so please do keep us informed via the forums and Discord, as you have been! Your input has been a huge help in getting this thing spaceworthy, and I thank you for that. And for your patience.

Longer term, bug fixing will continue, and we'll also continue to include quality of life fixes, and occasionally new features. Including, when ready, a way for you to let us know which roadmap features are most important to you next.

In the meantime, we'll be taking a day or two to recharge, and we should be back at it on Monday.

Hope you all have a good weekend, and enjoy the patch!

Best,
Daniel Fedor
Founder, Blue Bottle Games, LLC

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Definitely seems like they released a bit early, but as a one-man studio(?) it's hard to know what else you can do with a game with this level of complexity, given it obviously needs more testing than one can personally manage.

No, relating to character creation and gender.

It's hard not to see these people who balk and leave bad reviews over totally optional features as anything less than completely childish. As if games all have to be made for one's exact demographics and nobody else; nevermind the irony in crying about politics being shoved down their throats, while simultaneously demanding the developer drop all their own opinions to appease a loud internet minority.

Last edited:

Quilty

Magister
Definitely seems like they released a bit early, but as a one-man studio(?) it's hard to know what else you can do with a game with this level of complexity, given it obviously needs more testing than one can personally manage.

It's hard not to see these people who balk and leave bad reviews over totally optional features as anything less than completely childish. As if games all have to be made for one's exact demographics and nobody else; nevermind the irony in crying about politics being shoved down their throats, while simultaneously demanding the developer drop all their own opinions to appease a loud interenet minority.

Very hypocritical coming from a bimbo rights activist.

saeci

Arcane

It's hard not to see these people who balk and leave bad reviews over totally optional features as anything less than completely childish. As if games all have to be made for one's exact demographics and nobody else; nevermind the irony in crying about politics being shoved down their throats, while simultaneously demanding the developer drop all their own opinions to appease a loud interenet minority.

After reading this, I decided to leave a negative review.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1022980/announcements/detail/5314766837588311213

Ostranauts Patch v0.6.2.0 Available
Hey Folks!

Ostranauts v0.6.2.0 is now available on Steam, and your clients should be updating shortly. This patch continues to address several of the bugs reported by players in the first couple of days playing.

Specifically:
  • Fixed a bug that would cause game to crash, deleting the save file, if saved while in-game time was shortly after midnight.
  • Fixed a bug that would cause AI to catastrophically ram player while docked.
  • Fixed a bug that caused some saves to corrupt due to bad pathfinding.
  • Fixed a bug that could cause crew to be in wrong position when ships were loaded.
  • Fixed a bug that would cause mouse clicks to be ignored after connecting an appliance to a sensor.
  • Changed nav and docking controls to use same hotkeys as camera controls (for better AZERTY keyboard support).
  • Changed inventory UI to try and prevent grids from overlapping.
  • Fixed a bug that caused application to crash if Esc hit while application was quitting.
  • Fixed a bug that could cause saves to be missing ship or planet metadata.
  • Fixed a bug that caused context menu to be drawn in wrong place while in inventory UI.
  • Removed R and F hotkeys from docking UI. Unnecessary (and created confusion).
  • Changed container inventory grids to close when player walks away from them.
  • Changed camera rotation controls to be debug commands.

Still a few big bugs addressed by this patch, though the fixes are starting to include smaller and smaller issues, as well as quality of life improvements. Plus, AZERTY keyboard support is finally starting to come in! Let us know if we've missed anything there.

We'll continue to be fixing bugs as they are reported, so please do keep us informed via the forums and Discord, as you have been! Your input has been a huge help in getting this thing spaceworthy, and I thank you for that. And for your patience.

Longer term, bug fixing will continue, and we'll also continue to include quality of life fixes, and occasionally new features. Including, when ready, a way for you to let us know which roadmap features are most important to you next.

Best,
Daniel Fedor
Founder, Blue Bottle Games, LLC

madhouse

I'm interested in playing this, but £12 seems a little steep for an unfinished game and basically paying the dev to be the play tester for their own product. I liked NEO Scavenger, so I expect them to make something good out of this eventually. How do you rate the playability at the moment? If it goes on sale for at least 40% I will try it.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I bought it as a pure expression of support to dcfedor - not to be base, but I don’t think he would have opened up EA purchases at this point were it not for the need of revenue.

These are hard times for a lot of people, and most of us are having to make compromises. Neo Scavenger was enough to make me feel comfortable pushing $12 or whatever it was to him. If only this world were full of people producing games on par with NS, it would be an embarrassment of riches.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom