Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Archaelund: RPG that combines 1st-person exploration with 3rd-person TB combat - now available on Early Access

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Seems p. good

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
One thing however....can you make hexagons over squares? hexagons > squares

V_K

Arcane
Yes, make them magenta and cyan.

Or how about...small dots?
Yes! Small magenta and cyan dots all over every texture :bounce:
yayoi-kusama-artist.jpg

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
The grid will have adjustable settings. However, it really doesn't feel that intrusive during gameplay. Of course, at this point, that's just my opinion, but during Early Access there'll be plenty of time to listen to feedback and make it better.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Hi everyone! I know I've been quiet for a while, but Archaelund development keeps progressing without pause.

I decided to take a step up regarding the game's development: In the last couple months the team has grown, and now includes a professional 3D artist working full time on the project, plus other occassional hired freelances. The new environments are spectacular; most of the things in the trailer are gone, replaced by quite unique 3D art, and put together with great skill. We're somewhat behind schedule now, since a lot of stuff was re-made, plus good 3D art takes its time, but I believe it's worth it.

There will be an official introduction of the whole team sometime this summer, when the trailer gets replaced and you can see something actually resembling the end result, and more details about the game.

On other fronts: Another playable race has already been modeled and rigged (Goblin), and work continues on other two. Music is also being produced at a great pace, and I love it. My own progress with rules design has been very satisfying, and is pretty much complete (until testing destroys it). Development and content creation (writing) is also a bit behind schedule but I'm happy with how it's unfolding as well.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
Updated:

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1082970/view/4135936219923655864

Development update #1: The team grows!

Archaelund started as a one (crazy) man project; ambitious and complex in terms of gameplay and content, but less so in terms of 3D graphics, as the current video trailer and screenshots reflect.

However I wanted Archaelund to look as unique and wonderful for you, the players, as it lives in my imagination. I just couldn't settle for less. Archaelund will be breathtaking, sometimes beautiful, sometimes terrible, always unique. To this end, the team has been expanded and most of what you see in the video has been reworked. Hundreds of concept art drafts have been debated over and refined, which has led to amazing 3D models: Architecture, geology, the unique races... everything is coming together according to my vision, bringing Archaelund to life.

It's a bit early to show any of it yet, but we plan to replace the video-trailer and screenshots this summer, and at that point there will be a full introduction of the team (currently 5 people, 3 on them working exclusively on Archaelund). From then and onwards it is my intention to post regularly and share details about the game mechanics, lore, visuals, music, etc.

By the time that announcement is made, it's possible we decide to push back the estimated release date. The new graphical scope of the game certainly takes a bit longer to produce content, and the recruiting and coordination of new team members has also taken time (and still does). While I want the game released as soon as possible, my priority is fulfilling my vision of the game and offering a perfect experience to players.

Other aspects of the game development are progressing very well. The character development system is going to be one of the cornerstones of Archaelund, and its design is now complete; I am already writing dialogues, which is something I really missed working on from the Exiled Kingdoms days. Finally, I'd like to mention the effort being put in the Archaelund soundtrack. Each area has unique music, which features sound from live instruments combined with digital sounds. If you liked the music from the trailer, wait until you hear the rest; some of this music will also be published this summer.

Great adventure awaits, be ready for it!

vazha

Arcane
Yeah, I too would like to hear what's the new art direction is veering towards. Hope it's not the bloom/colourful thing that has been a bane of some of the modern titles.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
From concept art...

unknown.png

To 3D...

EbEq95Q.png

To game

unknown.png

Besides graphics, I am now implementing the magic system and many other utility features.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I honestly didn't think a humble mobile RPG (which blows almost every other RPG on the platform in my eyes) could make something in that scale. I hope to see more of that encampment.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
I honestly didn't think a humble mobile RPG (which blows almost every other RPG on the platform in my eyes) could make something in that scale.

Exiled Kingdoms funding allows me to go the full distance with Archaelund, at least for another couple years. That's fortunate because I don't need to make too many compromises, nor need my players to make a "leap of faith" with a Kickstarter. And if I want to delay our schedule or make changes, I have total freedom. Well, money ain't endless, so freedom is not absolute, but certainly more free than most indies.

I hope to see more of that encampment.

It's an Imperial ruin, of no particular importance, called Emerrand. It's only significance is not being too broken. Here's another sketch, keep in mind these are quick drafts and not everything ends up being approved.

kwhU9gl.png

I love our concept drawings, even if they are often just sketches. We got hundreds of them already, covering places, objects, races and cultures, architecture details, plants... One way or another we'll publish them when the game is out. Hopefully in print.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
New announcement including screenshots that finally give a measure of how the game will really look.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1082970/announcements/detail/2908717911981430634

Archaelund takes shape

More areas are being created steadily, and details added to existing ones. The concepts drawn by Ignacio Corva based on my Lore are then made into scenery by our lead Environment Artist, Alberto Trujillo. Below you can see some examples of the early game areas (click to enlarge).

Corva's drawings also cover the many denizens of Archaelund, which are later turned into 3D characters by our "Master of Creatures", Bob Metcalfe (SecretAnorak). Below you can see side-to-side concepts and development screenshots of the Goblin playable race and a small critter called Norrax.

goblinB.png

norraxB.png

In regards to Music, Laura Ballestrino is composing and producing an amazing original soundtrack for the game, with specific music for each of the many areas of Archaelund. It is the final "magic touch" that breathes life into the world, and we'll be sharing some of it soon.

The Lay of the Land

Archaelund is divided in square map sectors, each of them large enough to get lost in. Sectors include dungeons, secrets and encounters with a variety of peoples and creatures, especially those including a town or village (and in the Early Access release, most will).

55cf305905baee49faa9bec5952c8932167c4153.png

Archaelund is a non-linear game, so locations are not set "in order"; they can be visited or explored at your convenience... if you can handle the challenges in them, of course. There will be a "logic" on what kind of encounters you face in each location, but the difficulty will not scale to your level and surprises may happen. Explore carefully!

The Early Access release will contain several map sectors including at least four towns, many dungeons, and dozens of different quests. These initial sectors are part of the Southern March, the most "civilized" region of Archaelund where your adventure will begin. Future planned updates will cover many more sectors, further to the North, East and South.

All Fun and Games

Archaelund is very focused in its gameplay mechanics, and in particular we've been working extensively on Character Development and Combat.

As you probably know already, Archaelund's most unique feature is the "dual perspective". First person exploration combines with top-down tactical battles where you'll often face hordes of enemies.

e81de2369da8fa73a39641bd629ff2154c4c9eae.png

Combat is turn-based, yet fast paced. Your party will have a variety of possible actions to overcome your enemies... maybe exhaust their stamina and bid your time? distract them using a Talent, then have another character stab them? Weaken them with spells before charging in? Or, of course, just blast them out of existence with your magic, if you have that kind of power.

More about combat will be detailed in future posts, but in this one I want to outline for you the basics about party creation and advancement, and what is our plan for Early Access in this regard.

At the game start you'll create a merry band of four adventurers but up to two extra companions may join you permanently later on, so the typical party size will be six unless you choose to do with fewer. Companions are fully under your control just as any of your other characters, although they retain some autonomy during dialogues and other situations.

The character progression system is based in Experience Points and levels, but it offers great flexibility with a system based in dozens of Careers. Careers don't define your character capabilities forever; As an example, one of your characters could be a Squire, and after completing the seven levels of that basic Career, he may either decide to become a Knight, or leave behind his chivalrous aims and become a Mercenary. Every choice allows you to either specialize, or to make more versatile characters. "Completing" all the levels in a Career often offers a worthwile bonus.

0a43746eb5770d60ca90f531f166eff0f32ac446.png

Many of the Basic Careers are not particularly "heroic": your starting party may feature Apprentice Wizards, Bandits, Labourers or Hunters. They are common men and women that want to leave behind their old lives and become adventurers. Maybe even heroes!

508f1ac9ff01d414323f91b5042f7feba32d66cc.png

The Early Access gameplay will cover the first 8-9 levels of character advancement, and 21 Basic Careers will be available, plus several Advanced ones.

What's next?

From now onwards I'll make more regular posts about our progress. There will be some relevant gameplay topics that will get a full update, like Combat, Skill Checks, Quests and Dialogues, Itemization, Magic and others.

A final word: Thanks for all the kind emails, for the thousands of "wishlists" of the game, and for all the posts expressing excitement about Archaelund; all of it is very encouraging for the whole team, and we can't wait to show you more!

Last edited by a moderator:

V_K

Arcane
Archaelund takes shape

More areas are being created steadily, and details added to existing ones. The concepts drawn by Ignacio Corva based on my Lore are then made into scenery by our lead Environment Artist, Alberto Trujillo. Below you can see some examples of the early game areas (click to enlarge).

My laptop not being able to run it confirmed :negative:

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
Oh, and for those that complained about the grid, it can be turned on/off now as you see in the combat screenshot. And even if on, they'll look less colorful.

(I bet everyone will set the grid to On and with minimal transparence though. One thing is looking at screenshots, but playing is another story)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom