Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG's with dark atmosphere

Skdursh

Savant

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
We just had a thread like this.
Only thing new I can think of is Fear and Hunger, and that one Columbine RPG Maker game.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Kenshi has a bleak, deadly setting in which civilization tenuously clings to survival amidst the ruins of advanced technology and the environments are frequently hazardous to human life, reinforced by game mechanics such as slavery and limb-loss.

Salt & Sanctuary is a 2D version of Demon's/Dark Souls and similarly presents a grim, dark atmosphere.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, though less dark in the base game than in the expansion (Dark Arisen) mega-dungeon.

I found the setting of Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura to be surprisingly depressing, especially considering it is based on the 19th century (with some magic and fantasy races/monsters thrown in). Should have been more optimistic and vibrant.

Final Fantasy IX at first is seemingly the opposite, with its cartoonish graphics, but the plot soon develops into a series of tragedies on a mass scale.

Many Dungeon Master-likes would arguably fall into this category, ones that take place entirely in a dungeon that is a series of deathtraps, monsters, and other obstacles, without relent.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Black Cat's Story is pretty dark at times.
93cd4d04865f3af04c85e271251f47f9_large.png

59.png

madhouse

With this (lack of a) definition, how will you be able to play everything that will be mentioned?
Whatever you feel like is dark fits and if I or anyone else feel like it doesn't belong here I or them will start flinging excrement at you.
:cool:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Stonekeep
Diablo 1
Shin Megami Tensei III
Dark Souls

Dark atmosphere? It's not an RPG, but I wish just one save-the-world-chosen111111 RPG had a plot similar to Myth: The Fallen Lords: relentlessly downbeat, always emphasising the increasingly hopeless odds, and a final victory that feels completely hollow next to the cost. That's what fighting the Supreme Dark Lord of Utter Darkness should feel like.

Major plot spoilers:

It's a real shame that Glen Cook is such an underrated author. His brand of bleak, economic storytelling would fit like a glove for games. I miss Myth so much.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Dark atmosphere? It's not an RPG, but I wish just one save-the-world-chosen111111 RPG had a plot similar to Myth: The Fallen Lords: relentlessly downbeat, always emphasising the increasingly hopeless odds, and a final victory that feels completely hollow next to the cost. That's what fighting the Supreme Dark Lord of Utter Darkness should feel like.

Major plot spoilers:

It's a real shame that Glen Cook is such an underrated author. His brand of bleak, economic storytelling would fit like a glove for games. I miss Myth so much.

I was wondering for several mintues why are you talking about Myst in RPG thread.
Never could memorized that difference))

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession
&
Ravenloft: Stone Prophet

Planescape: Torment

Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption <<<<< It's a shame more wasn't done with this game and it's engine.

madbringer

Arcane
Mask of the Betrayer, especially if you're shooting for the "bad" ending.

Also, not RPGs but if you're looking for dark atmosphere you can't do much better than Sanitarium and Stasis.

V_K

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom