Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyanide's Call of Cthulhu - "RPG-Investigation" game based on tabletop ruleset

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Cat definitely knows some martial arts, as flimsy of an excuse that may be. Either that or protagonist really has a bad day when
she hands his ass to him at the warehouse.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Finished it since i didn't have anything else to play and it seemed decent enough after i've read most of this thread. And holy shit, this shit is shit.

Only a retard could recommend this non-game. Fuck you Codex. :argh:

This is the absolute state of RPG Codex nowadays: 2018s who joined last week must provide sanity checks to casual console-gaming RPG Watchers who need to come out of the closet already, leave this website, and go where we all know their asses really belong.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This is the absolute state of RPG Codex nowadays: 2018s who joined last week must provide sanity checks to casual console-gaming RPG Watchers who need to come out of the closet already, leave this website, and go where we all know their asses really belong.
Was anyone here actually praising this thing and calling it anything more than a walking sim with stats? :hmmm:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Was anyone here actually praising this thing and calling it anything more than a walking sim with stats? :hmmm:

If a Codexer plays decline and doesn't outright hate it, then I expect him to demonstrate contrition and at least a show of self-flagellation in the appropriate thread.

Enjoying it for what it is without guilt is simply unacceptable.

Beowulf

Arcane
b1057aa6d1d8a4b6d27179b034931765.gif

Got sick couple of days ago I'm having some more time for gaming, and so I finished it over the weekend.

Well ... it is far more linear than I expected, even reading people opinions here.

The start is very linear and boring, but it gets better along the way.
It is cliche ridden and sometimes predictable, but id does some things right, e.g. you don't shoot Shoggots in the face with a shotgun, and it comes very close to show the protagonist's loosing grasp in reality in a believable way.
There are also some illogical endings to particular scenes suggesting that some parts were changed during development, but not everything has been updated accordingly.
I don't mind playing horror walking sims with only one viable path, like Soma, but there is not enough gameplay in this game.
The investigation/deduction parts are literally just about walking from point to point and pressing the button. And you can't get it wrong.
The only thing that depends on you are dialogue choices. Bleh.

Visuals are nice, and the game ends on a high note with grand finale comparable with works of the best CoC illustrators.

But overall it felt too restricting for me. As a point and click game disguised as an FPS adventure game there is not enough game in it, sadly.
And it is very overpriced. I bought it in the recent sale and I still feel like I paid too much. Worth 1 dorraru when it's -90% in a few years.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just picked this up and played through it. My expectations were low and I was pleasantly surprised.

Contrary to the prestigious poster above me, I felt this was at its weakest when it tried to do "gameplay" e.g. traditional puzzle type elements and stealth sections, and more of this type of thing would definitely not have improved the game. (I did enjoy the second monster "fight".)

Writing is good and the biggest surprise looking back is that there's a decent sized cast of strong characters I ended up caring about. Mild spoiler (highlight): a couple of the monsters even have lines and these scenes are convincing and interesting. Of course the story has the undercooked feel to be expected from a rushed game, but what is there is solid. Dialogue does not let you go back and try every option, which is great - once you say something, you said it, and if you wanted to say something else, too bad, the conversation has moved on.

While hardly a crunchy RPG, character build does matter and (again contrary to the above) while investigations were mostly linear, I frequently missed clues because I didn't have the right stat raised*, and I'm sure I actually physically missed seeing some.
*Note the game does an awesome thing where the protag can still comment on stuff he doesn't understand. I looked at some smashed plates but my Psychology wasn't high enough and he said something like "Gee, I guess somebody was mad?" This is a big deal.
Also I was constantly locked out of dialogue options, right up to the very end, because certain skills lacked. Incline emoticon.

There is certainly a lot of linear stuff to complain about. Really? The only way into the back room of this huge warehouse is to raise a giant tank on a rope and swing it through the wall like Kool-Aid Man? Again the disappointment of a rushed game is palpable. It's clear from other sections that the devs really wanted to have lots of multiple ways to solve problems but they simply weren't given the time to make it happen. I'd love to see the 5 year version of this game.

Overall I'm glad I took the plunge. $11 and 10 hours was a good price to pay and I def don't regret it. I will have fond memories of this game and saved a number of screenshots to my wallpaper rotation to remind me I liked it.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From reading this thread it seems that [The Sinking City] is kinda bloated and should have been shorter and more focused, what makes CoC worse? It seems more compact and compressed.
Call of Cthulhu is more compressed, which isn't a good thing really, especially when trying to create an atmosphere of uncertainty. CoC had a lot of good ideas but critically it was rushed and didn't realize its potential. Obstacles which were clearly conceived to have multiple solutions often ended up with only one way to deal with them, and the surprisingly linear structure is claustrophobic.

That's not to say I didn't like CoC - I did. But I constantly found myself noticing how much better it could have been if the creative team had been given the time and resources their ideas deserved.

Last edited:

vota DC

Augur
From reading this thread it seems that [The Sinking City] is kinda bloated and should have been shorter and more focused, what makes CoC worse? It seems more compact and compressed.
Call of Cthulhu is more compressed, which isn't a good thing really, especially when trying to create an atmosphere of uncertainty. CoC had a lot of good ideas but critically it was rushed and didn't realize its potential. Obstacles which were clearly conceived to have multiple solutions often ended up with only one way to deal with them, and the surprisingly linear structure is claustrophobic.

That's not to say I didn't like CoC - I did. But I constantly found myself noticing how much better it could have been if the creative team had been given the time and resources their ideas deserved.
Sinking city you see the beginning and you can figure the whole game.
Coc Is more deceptive, you have much freedom and multiple approachs at the beginning, then It become close to a walking simulator, some choices matter and you still get multiple endings but middle and late game are very bad compared with the very good first part.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom