Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

Mortmal

Arcane
It's me or some character specific achievements are bugged ? Trying " Mother of us all :Starting as Daurama Daura, have your line reform an African faith, and convert all of Africa to it" it doesnt even appear in the list .

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
I formed Poland. Do I get a Codex badge?
So much for all the no votes; loving my Poland run. This is what makes CK so fun.

I generally enjoy the early challenge the most. Small dynasty, small realms around. But later in the game when you're stuck in the middle of everything trying to survive your own family and everyone else... It's why I loved playing Georgia so much in CKII.

I've also learned that being shy is really bad for stress, but lots of torture is good.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Have people played around with Excalve game rules? It seems like you can use it to cut down on a lot of the border gore. I'm now trying Limited (IIRC?) for both human and AI and I haven't seen anything this fucked.

I can't imagine playing the game without that rule now. Easily one of the best changes that came with 3.0 / Holy fury.

Though the exact setting that's ideal probably depends where you're playing.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
Have people played around with Excalve game rules? It seems like you can use it to cut down on a lot of the border gore. I'm now trying Limited (IIRC?) for both human and AI and I haven't seen anything this fucked.

I can't imagine playing the game without that rule now. Easily one of the best changes that came with 3.0 / Holy fury.

Excessive border gore just isn't realistic (that is, direct control). Apart from all the relics of the empires, the only modern one I can think of is Kaliningrad (yeah, yeah, Russia wish it was an Empire / Rome / Soviet Union etc. etc.).

Tigranes

Arcane

Excessive border gore just isn't realistic (that is, direct control). Apart from all the relics of the empires, the only modern one I can think of is Kaliningrad (yeah, yeah, Russia wish it was an Empire / Rome / Soviet Union etc. etc.).

The irony is that outlandish border gore might happen more often when it's direct control, because then you don't have a vassal to rebel against you, only popular rebellion. And given how easy it is to march over half of Europe if you are so inclined...

Again, I'd recommend everyone up the Exclave rule.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
In my current game the French held mostly together while the Germans fell apart by 1066, which is... actually highly realistic.

vonAchdorf

Arcane

Within the HRE, you had excessive border gore between the states / principalities.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
The issue with CKIII's border gore is that it combines the historically more accurate system of partition with the brazillion titles of kings that you can create in the game. It's almost impossible to see a proper kingdom of France or a HRE since you'll always have a king of Frisia, of Burgundy, of Aquitania etc.

Another big part of the problem concerns the vikngs being too free to conquer left and right.

edit : Or at least, that's how my game went and therefore these are my early conclusions. Might be utterly wrong.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
current Paradox?
:deathclaw:
Was paradox ever different?
It's only been post-CK2 Paradox that shits out half-finished games and then bloats them with DLC. Their previous games were perfectly fine on release and only made better with expansions.
:nocountryforshitposters:
Their previous games were very basic as fuck. More or less the same as EU4 and CK2/3 on release. They have always released the same copy/passed core game and spammed DLCs/expansions.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Their previous games were very basic as fuck. More or less the same as EU4 and CK2/3 on release. They have always released the same copy/passed core game and spammed DLCs/expansions.
Crusader Kings 1: One expansion
Hearts of Iron 2: Two expansions
Europa Universalis 3: Four expansions
Hearts of Iron 3: Three expansions
Victoria 2: Two expansions.

CK2: Fifteen "major" DLC
EU4: Sixteen and counting

I suppose there's not much of a difference between 4 and 15 if you're an illiterate Bulgarian who needs to use his fingers to count. And I won't even bother going into detail to explain how much meatier were the expansions of old compared to the DLCs of today. There would be no point.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I suppose there's not much of a difference between 4 and 15 if you're an illiterate Bulgarian who needs to use his fingers to count. And I won't even bother going into detail to explain how much meatier were the expansions of old compared to the DLCs of today. There would be no point.
LoL it doesn't matter the number of expansions when the content in those "expansions" is as much as in one DLC.

I feel like the AI's competency itself is the issue here. Top-level rulers are consistently very weak and unable to cleanup their de jure kingdom well. The fact that vassals give so little to their liege is also a problem.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik

If memory serves Victoria II were still sold on CD's backs then so I blame steam for endorsing such DLC strategy. Yet...none of Paradox's pre-STEAM dlc fests enjoyed tens of thousands of concurrent players and a million sold copies. Sadly, this cancerous dlc strategy is what allows Paradox to keep players interested and involved for years and years. Everyone knows that there will be dozens of DLCs for CKIII and over 100k people bought it - no other strategy game could even compete with this or million HoIIV copies sold.

Tigranes

Arcane
I didn't mind it in 920AD, yes. But since the situation is the same in 1250AD I'm a little bit sceptic about these systems.

I saw a stable France until it was taken over (inherited?) by Empire of Hispania in the 13th century in one game. Now, in another game, an Orthodox Aquitania has split France in half, weakening it and perhaps causing further fragmentation. But you could see that happen in any version of CK2, too.

If the criticism is that, say, France or HRE breaks apart every single time and never gets a chance, then that would be valid, but we probably don't know that yet either way.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I'm kinda hoping they bring bring back the iron century start date.

o18nvwpoa9z21.png
o18nvwpoa9z21.png

Last edited:

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
If memory serves Victoria II were still sold on CD's backs then so I blame steam for endorsing such DLC strategy. Yet...none of Paradox's pre-STEAM dlc fests enjoyed tens of thousands of concurrent players and a million sold copies. Sadly, this cancerous dlc strategy is what allows Paradox to keep players interested and involved for years and years. Everyone knows that there will be dozens of DLCs for CKIII and over 100k people bought it - no other strategy game could even compete with this or million HoIIV copies sold.
Steam has enabled them, but it's not responsible for companies figuring out that milking their customers with a bazillion DLC is more profitable. Nor is it responsible for customers being generally fine with being milked. It's just a tool, and a lot of other developers are perfectly happy NOT milking their fanbases.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
Steam has enabled them, but it's not responsible for companies figuring out that milking their customers with a bazillion DLC is more profitable. Nor is it responsible for customers being generally fine with being milked. It's just a tool, and a lot of other developers are perfectly happy NOT milking their fanbases.
Money is not just profits.

It pays the salaries of your employees. The longer you can keep it going, the more you can employ and the more you can invest in your product.

If Paradox launched a subscription service I'd probably join, even though I already own everything.

LizardWizard

Cipher
The issue with CKIII's border gore is that it combines the historically more accurate system of partition with the brazillion titles of kings that you can create in the game. It's almost impossible to see a proper kingdom of France or a HRE since you'll always have a king of Frisia, of Burgundy, of Aquitania etc.

Another big part of the problem concerns the vikngs being too free to conquer left and right.

edit : Or at least, that's how my game went and therefore these are my early conclusions. Might be utterly wrong.

Border gore is exponentially worse in 867 starts, especially with broken heresy spread and Pope spamming crusades that early. With 1066 it's not uncommon to see a proper looking England/France/HRE and unified Iberia into the 1200s

I'm kinda hoping they bring bring back the iron century start date.

Give me 1081 back

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom