Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Conan Exiles - Funcom strikes again

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Not all server rates are modified to 200% of the base time. If you go for the "vanilla" experience it's annoying as hell. Specialized slaves take hours to break.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
bylam Do you know, why the soundtrack is only available on Spotify and no other digital store / streaming service?

bylam

Funcom
Developer
bylam Do you know, why the soundtrack is only available on Spotify and no other digital store / streaming service?

Hmmm, I don't remember what the contract with Knut was exactly. Normally though, he retains streaming and sales rights outside of the game, so it'd be on him to get the music in those places. I'll check when I am back at work.

ZeniBot

Cipher
Making this game PvP PvE Focused was a huge mistake. The potential in this game for questing is immense. Funcom are fucking retarded.
That said I'm not minding the game that much but it has that same boring progression problem that plagues all of these Ark clones.
An example of this type of game done right is Kenshi. Where the fuck is muh Conan game in the style of Kenshi god damn it!

So it seems Funcom is planning some kind of expansion/dlc/addon for Conan Exiles. They announced a few days ago that they would announce something else on the 10th. Now there's a countdown on their CE page.

“On the shimmering threshold Conan stared like a wolf in strange surroundings, ready to fight or flee on the instant.” Announcement: September 10 Developer Stream: September 11, 11am EST/17:00 CEST Follow the countdown on http://conanexiles.com
Apparently it has to do with demons and a Black Tower, so fingers crossed it's not just another cosmetics DLC again. I'm hoping Funcom implements the sorcery mechanics they used to talk about.

As expected, it is a beefier expansion this time. A separate new island map with a new play mode. Price is 19.99 USD. However, the kicker is, Siptah is an Early Access expansion. :decline: The price will naturally increase after it leaves EA, but at least you have a free weekend until Monday if you'd like to test the game.

Isle of Siptah is a massive expansion to the open world survival game Conan Exiles, featuring a vast new island to explore, huge and vile new creatures to slay, new building sets and a whole new gameplay cycle. Fight the elder races in new underground dungeons. Defeat demonic monstrosities that spawn from a storm of pure chaos. Dominate the surge to secure the island’s only supply of thralls.

You arrive at the island shipwrecked and alone. With nothing but the scraps on your back, you craft the tools you need to survive. At first a simple camp and some crude stone tools, with time a fortress and brutal greatswords made from hardened steel or obsidian.

Your eyes are drawn towards the center of the island, where a dark tower looms above the landscape. The violent storm that swirls around it seems to gather strength and unspeakable horrors stalk within. But your most dangerous foe may be the other survivors on the island, as resources are scarce and the fight for survival is savage and brutal.

mapENG1.gif

Start a fresh, new experience on the massive Isle of Siptah. Explore sun-drenched beaches strewn with shipwrecks, dense and tall Redwood forests, broad valleys dotted with ancient Acheronian ruins, the remains of a Stygian colony, and the foreboding Tower of Siptah at the island’s center.

vaultsENG.gif

Uncover long-forgotten vaults holding the remnants of elder races from a distant past. Discover hidden halls, solve ancient puzzles, and slay the fiends and demons within. Loot valuable treasures and harness the power of the sigils of the elder races.

maelstromENG.gif

A massive storm swirls around the dark tower at the center of the island. Powered by sinister magic, it spawns horrifying monsters from the outer void, attacking anyone who dares to venture or build within. Defeat these horrors to get your hands on a brand new and important resource.

surgesENG1.gif

Powerful surges of forbidden magic, granted by the elder god of Nyarlathotep, shoot forth from the Tower of Siptah. Humans and creatures appear in their wake, mysteriously teleported from the outside world. Move quick to capture them or be left in the dust as other players build their army.

rhinoENG.gif

Charge into battle and slay your enemies from atop the ferocious rhino mount. Construct a small home or a vast city using two new building sets: the waterlogged remains of shipwrecks or the ancient and majestic stormglass. Find and equip powerful items, including new armor sets.

No player sorcery. :negative:

SmartCheetah

Arcane
With their AI those "Fight the elder races in new underground dungeons. Defeat demonic monstrosities that spawn from a storm of pure chaos" sound like they just want people to buy new island with new graphics, while it will be the same old - fighting braindead NPC's ;_; yawn.

Magitex

Educated
Simply because of the existing consoles that Conan works on, can no longer fit more into memory. UE4 is not great with large maps using the stock terrain and has constantly been an issue for development in Conan Exiles from what I have seen and heard. I don't think anyone is really happy for the 'expansion' to be segregated.. I wish they had made this a standalone expansion without requiring the base game, then perhaps I could convince friends to pick it up.

mastroego

Arcane
So guys, I've never played an MMO.
I am at heart a SP player. I've kept my eye on this one since the world of Conan has a peculiar and enduring fascination for me.
I also enjoyed the "survival" experience in Skyrim (and Skyrim - Requiem).

I've been tempted to try this game since apparently you can also play it in SP.
Unfortunately I'm also a completionist and this thing has a cartload of DLCs, I'd be compelled to buy them all once I start, and this sucks, especially if the game sucks as well.
Should I try it anyway, or avoid like the plague?

Lhynn

Arcane
DLCs mostly offer some cosmetic customization options, no actual content. Except for Siptah. Which is a whole new map.
I would also consider mods, they improve the game tremendously. And i would advice just playing in online, even if played as a "Single player", because the game does come alive when theres other people around.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I had some fun playing in SP and ignored MP, but in the end that becomes just building and LARPing. If you play in SP, you (almost) have to use the cheat menu, because you can't get all the skills in the regular progression. If you don't want to regularly brew reset potions just to build in a different style (especially if you have the DLCs) or make items outside your expertise, allowing more feats is the way to go.

Lhynn

Arcane
You can get it all, some bosses drop fragments of power, they give you 5 feat points each. And if you spend them on the unnamed city archives you can get the recipe for the tablet of power, which can be crafted with 5 fragments and gives you 50 feat points.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

A friend of mine is hustling for our gaming group to pick this up and have a private server. I like Conan, I like base building, I like exploration and simple group activities. Recommend? Comments?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

A friend of mine is hustling for our gaming group to pick this up and have a private server. I like Conan, I like base building, I like exploration and simple group activities. Recommend? Comments?
Do you like grinding? Because like every other survival crafting game out there, the core gameplay is all about grinding.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've been tempted to try this game since apparently you can also play it in SP.
Unfortunately I'm also a completionist and this thing has a cartload of DLCs, I'd be compelled to buy them all once I start, and this sucks, especially if the game sucks as well.
Should I try it anyway, or avoid like the plague?
I am finding this a lot of fun with a few friends on a private server. Single player would either feel empty or like an exciting exploration challenge. There is next to no story to speak of, you're just in a huge sprawling land with a thousand other (NPC) convicts all fighting to survive and dangerous wildlife everywhere. Giant castle surrounded by carnivorous apes, I wonder what's in there? Huge monster and evil sorceress who have treasures. Big swamp, what's down there? Giant spider with super tough chitin for crafting better armor. Stuff like this is pretty much all you're going to get. That and a huge list of things to craft and build, plus when you build your base up big enough monsters will come try to knock it down.

DLC is all cosmetic stuff. You will see it in the crafting menu "buy DLC to be able to craft this sword" but unless you literally want to make 30 different looking kinds of sword that all have the same stats, the DLC is not tempting. I bought one DLC because I wanted to dress like Ancient Greece and make fun of my friends for being savages. (It worked.)

Correction, there is a major expansion that has a different island. Personally I think you would get sick of the single player long before you explored the entire first island, so no real danger you'd have to buy it. But hell, if you explore for 600 hours and still want more, another $20 won't kill you.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Are there mods or settings to make the exploration less grindy in SP, or coop with a small group?
It feels like it could be modded to feel like a fantasy Kenshi.

Zombra

Patron
Are there mods or settings to make the exploration less grindy in SP, or coop with a small group?
Yep. Running a private server, or in single player, you can change a million settings.

My group's server currently uses

PvPEnabled = 0
because we got sick of hitting each other by accident in dogpile melees

HarvestAmountMultiplier = 2.1

because the grind of digging for rocks got boring

DurabilityMultiplier = 0.0
(items take 0 damage from use)
because tools breaking gets old after a while

ShieldDurabilityMultiplier = 0.9

so shields take longer to break

MinPurgeOnlinePlayers = 3

so we have to be actually playing before NPC armies come try to wreck our shit

PurgeDelay = 360 minutes

so NPC armies don't try to wreck our shit over and over while we're trying to do other things

DisableBuildingAbandonment = 1

because it's a private server so our buildings shouldn't sink into the sand after a couple days of neglect

DisableThrallDecay = 1
so our NPC guards won't just quit even if we don't visit a certain outpost for a long time

AllowBuilding = 1 (during purges)

because it's dumb that we can't light a torch to see the road when enemies are attacking

EverybodyCanLootCorpse = 1

so if someone dies on a team mission, they don't have to do a "corpse run", we can just get their stuff for them

NPCRespawnMultiplier = 10.0

this isn't an MMO, when we kill the gate guard to a dungeon, he shouldn't be waiting there again 5 minutes later when we're ready to leave

And so forth.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Play private servers with mods. Or at least host a play with friends. This game alone is so incredibly boring. And nobody in their right mind plays with the base settings.

Zombra

Patron
There is next to no story to speak of
To follow up on this after a few more hundred hours of play, there is way more going on than there appears at first glance. It's done really well imo, which makes sense from Funcom as Anarchy Online and Secret World are both very rich in setting and lore. The game never hits you over the head with a linear string of cutscenes. Instead there are a ton of journals and NPCs scattered throughout the world which all give you little puzzle pieces (or sometimes big infodumps, yes), and over time the backstory of the world emerges very, very naturally. It's funny too because the story was clearly written from the perspective of justifying the game. Why do people respawn after they die? Why can't players walk off the edge of the map? Then once they built a framework explaining all this, they filled it in with politics and history. Really a satisfying piece of work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom