Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

Saduj

Arcane
It only "makes no difference" to you because you don't fucking care about the story. You were just mentioning how "you lived with your mistakes and only fix them on level up". Who fucking cares? That's gameplay and we're talking about story here. And no, you can't have 5 npcs. The most you can have is 4, so you're stuck with 2 bots at the very least. Everything in this game is tailored to make it as less important to your ranger's background as possible. The game won't even acknowledge you as a guy or a chick. Everything is so fucking impersonal.

If you don't care about roleplaying, why are you on this forum? It's literally called RPG codex for roleplaying games.

I mentioned character creation because at first I didn’t understand that your babbling about bots was supposed to be some kind of point pertaining to “story”.

In reality there is no gameplay mechanic in Atom that makes the character you create “you” any more than one of your rangers could be “you”. This whole line of reasoning is based entirely on your imagination.

None of this changes the fact that to assert ATOM has a better story than anything else is absurd. The main story in ATOM is all told at endgame. It isn’t very original and the main antagonist is just ridiculous. The plot is really barely there at all and just serves to facilitate everything else in the game, which is mostly very good stuff.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
About being impersonal, this was always a Wasteland thing, Wasteland 2 was the same, you control a ranger unit and contrary to Fallout where you sort of become a wasteland legend by the end of it. I think both games attempt different things, on Fallout 1, you are alone and that feeling of loneliness, of being a stranger on a desolate land is pretty personal as you are for yourself, it is about your personal journey, especially after the overseer deny you entrance on the vault.

Wasteland 2 and 3 is about the rangers, an organization, but the problem isnt that Wasteland 2 and 3 are impersonal , the problem is that the wasteland series is about the rangers but the rangers are never developed as a faction, so you belong to a faction that is never properly developed to the point of you not knowing why exactly you belong to the rangers in the first place. On Wasteland 2 and 3, pretty much all other factions are more developed than the rangers, the rangers are the only faction with no unique properly ranger characters on their HQ.

The rangers are depicted as some sort of wasteland police and the good buys but that is it, they dont have an ideology, an end goal, they dont have simbolism, they dont have a culture, they dont seem to struggle to survive, they are just the hard ass, tough police good guys, that is it, they arent a Brotherhood of Steel. So, why exactly the rangers are better than other factions? Both Wasteland 2 and 3 dont care about that and prefer to focus on you dealing with other factions but of course this causes the problem of you not having a real motivation to deal with those factions.

It isnt a deal breaker for me because the Patriarch is an interesting character but I understand why some people wont feel invested on a story where the whole motivation is to help a faction you barely interact with. General Vargas was such a wasted character on Wasteland 2 and on Wasteland 3, outside Angela Deth that is a fucking cunt, you have zero ranger characters to interact with. It would make much more sense if the rangers had to retreat to Colorado after Arizona became inhospitable and you had a much more ambiguous relationship with the Patriarch since the begining with you having an ally/enemy dynamic with him. With the way Wasteland 3 is setup, any choice that isnt helping the Patriarch is nonsensical. Why betray the guy that pretty much saved your ass when he didnt need to and gave you the resources to rebuild your faction from zero?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
The rangers are basically soldiers, army personnel in spirit and form. They want to help the innocent, the helpless, and they want to establish a world that can sustain itself without outside control or power.

Rangers doens't seek power the way that most other factions want it, like the patriarch, but they want to ensure a viable world where people can co-exist.

The Rangers were pretty powerful in Wasteland 2, large base, lots of squads, and long range of communications imo. Rangers are well known in the world, when you travel around in Wasteland 3, too, at least in mid game, and most remember rangers frm Arizona from the get-go.

Rangers can be considered a form of Brotherhood of Steel, only more selfless and not as alienated and egoistic.

I view the rangers as the great negotiator, and if need be, exterminator of evil. They are there to ensure the world survives and doesnt tear itself apart from faction war or a big evil.

I mean rangers basically saved the world in WL2 by destroying Cohise

Deleted member 7219

I've played Wasteland 3 for a few hours now. Bargain with the Xbox Game Pass for PC.

First impressions:
  • No jank at all
  • Nice menus (although console-fied, the menus in Wasteland 2 were horrible, and these show good UI design)
  • Mark Morgan music
  • Good voice acting
  • Excellent combat
I've just got to the Garden of the Gods after exploring the Ranger Base and looking around town. Looking forward to playing more.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
Graphically, Wasteland 3 blows away ATOM. No contest at all. You need your eyes checked. Why are you an ATOM fanboy in a WL3 thread? Move along please.
Difference is not "marginal", stop being retarded.
Atom is a very different game anyway, not sure why comparisons are being made. Wl2 and Fallout tactics would be the closest comparisons, and i believe wl3 to be better than either, though still very much flawed.
Recency bias faggots. Wasteland 3's graphics aren't that much better than Atom's, it's more stylized. Beautiful Desolation blows WL3 graphics out of the fucking water, if WL3 looked like that then you can bring up graphics. I wonder if we are even playing the same game, WL3 visuals are mediocre as hell.

The comparison is brought up because I said Atom was made with 1/100th the budget (and probably less after Inxile sold out to Microsoft) and did more with it.

I also don't get where WL3 is better than WL2, it has pretty much all of its flaws but worse, and overall less interesting content. Also the priority was clearly consoles.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
Saying ridiculous things with conviction doesn’t make them so. You can imagine yourself as one of your rangers just as easily as you can imagine yourself as your guy from ATOM. You can even fill your other slots with NPCs if you want. There is literally no difference. I didn’t make any connections because what you’re saying is desperate and absurd.

I would bet even the others intent on shitting up this thread with endless variations of “this game sucks” posts are embarrassed to count you among their ranks by this point. Stop digging.

It only "makes no difference" to you because you don't fucking care about the story. You were just mentioning how "you lived with your mistakes and only fix them on level up". Who fucking cares? That's gameplay and we're talking about story here. And no, you can't have 5 npcs. The most you can have is 4, so you're stuck with 2 bots at the very least. Everything in this game is tailored to make it as less important to your ranger's background as possible. The game won't even acknowledge you as a guy or a chick. Everything is so fucking impersonal.

If you don't care about roleplaying, why are you on this forum? It's literally called RPG codex for roleplaying games.
They like watching the numbers pop up on the screen, and finding the best min max build that's why this queer Dildolos has restarted the game 20 times already before even finishing.

Also can anyone tell me why there are still living trees and large surface dwelling herbivores after over 100 years in a permanent winter setting? This is just one example of how there was no thought put into the world, no thought put into quests, no thought put into anything.

Lhynn

Arcane
Wasteland 3's graphics aren't that much better than Atom's, it's more stylized.
:nocountryforshitposters:

2d834f8041a3fb9b79628d2600f91349.jpg

wasteland-3-vehicle-fight.jpg

Are you blind or retarded?

Beautiful Desolation blows WL3 graphics out of the fucking water, if WL3 looked like that then you can bring up graphics. I wonder if we are even playing the same game, WL3 visuals are mediocre as hell.
Stop moving the goalpost, faggot.

The comparison is brought up because I said Atom was made with 1/100th the budget (and probably less after Inxile sold out to Microsoft) and did more with it.
Not really, no. They went in very different directions. Graphic wise Atom did the bare minimum, which is fine, i dont play these games for the graphics.

I also don't get where WL3 is better than WL2
It has a more interesting premise and it solved a lot of 2s issues. The writing at a glance seems to be a bit dumber, but at least you are not chasing towers for 20 hours, 2 was so fucking dull. Attributes and skills now allow for a more varied and interesting character building. And while the world is smaller, it at least seems to not be made out of filler areas with little thought put into them.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm sure you're right Lhynn, but the screenshot of Wasteland 3 you provided is not a screenshot. It's a concept render made by Pyke for the game's crowdfunding campaign back in 2016.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!

2d834f8041a3fb9b79628d2600f91349.jpg

wasteland3gameplay-1475763951927_1280w.jpg

Are you blind or retarded?
The first one is going for realism and the second one is cartoony and colorful. How does cartoony and colorful = better gfx? It's also not even a screenshot from the game you moron.

Stop moving the goalpost, faggot.
Stop buzz word posting, faggot.

Not really, no. They went in very different directions. Graphic wise Atom did the bare minimum, which is fine, i dont play these games for the graphics.
WL3's actual top down graphics from in game are mediocre and yeah, marginally better than Atom. Let's even say they're 10x better, which they aren't, that's with 100x the budget.

Seriously, you have to be some mongoloidal fucking rejects to bring up graphics as a sticking point when the game you're fanboying has mediocre cartoony graphics itself.

It has a more interesting premise and it solved a lot of 2s issues. The writing at a glance seems to be a bit dumber, but at least you are not chasing towers for 20 hours, 2 was so fucking dull. Attributes and skills now allow for a more varied and interesting character building. And while the world is smaller, it at least seems to not be made out of filler areas with little thought put into them.
It solved some issues from 2 but it also still has a lot of the same issues, it exacerbated old issues, it introduced new issues.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Lhynn

Arcane
The first one is going for realism and the second one is cartoony and colorful. How does cartoony and colorful = better gfx? It's also not even a screenshot from the game you moron.
Realism? Atom looks janky as fuck and neither look particularly realistic, nor are trying to.

WL3's actual top down graphics from in game are mediocre and yeah, marginally better than Atom. Let's even say they're 10x better, which they aren't, that's with 100x the budget.
Why would i care about how many times better they are? WL3 graphics look fine, and i really dont care how much fargo spent to get there or how much of the budget was allocated to the graphics.

Seriously, you have to be some mongoloidal fucking rejects to bring up graphics as a sticking point
I didnt bring it up you retard, you did. So good for you, you mongoloidal fucking reject.

It solved some issues from 2 but it also still has a lot of the same issues, it exacerbated old issues, it introduced new issues.
Yeah, as sequels tend to. Overall it is a better game.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Realism? Atom looks janky as fuck and neither look particularly realistic, nor are trying to.
Atom has a 2D realism look, Wasteland goes for cartoony with more vibrant color palettes. The actual graphics are of comparable quality. What you assholes have really been bringing up is art direction.

Why would i care about how many times better they are? WL3 graphics look fine, and i really dont care how much fargo spent to get there or how much of the budget was allocated to the graphics.
Talk about moving the goalpost you goofy cocksucker :stupid:

I am not the one that first brought up graphics.

I didnt bring it up you retard, you did. So good for you, you mongoloidal fucking reject.
Once again, I did not bring up graphics you braindead dicksucker. Dildolos did. Maybe follow along in the thread before jumping in.

Yeah, as sequels tend to. Overall it is a better game.
Not really.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
"Mongoloidal fucking reject" lol...Slavs aren't mongoloids. Gotta work on your racist lingo, boy.
He was copying me in an attempt to make mockery unfortunately it was a swing and a miss because Dildolos the WL3 fanboy first brought up gfx, not me.

Lhynn

Arcane
Atom has a 2D realism look, Wasteland goes for cartoony with more vibrant color palettes.
Alright, sure.

The actual graphics are of comparable quality. What you assholes have really been bringing up is art direction.
They are of comparable quality, but WL3s is higher. Which was my point. Art direction is irrelevant, matter of taste and all of that.

Talk about moving the goalpost you goofy cocksucker :stupid:

I am not the one that first brought up graphics.
Why would i care about what dildolos said? Dude is retarded, like a more chill version of fluent.
I was talking to you about a some retarded statement you made.

Not really.
Alright, whats so good about WL2 that 3 doesnt have?

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
They are of comparable quality, but WL3s is higher. Which was my point. Art direction is irrelevant, matter of taste and all of that.
Right, so they're comparable quality, with WL3 being slightly, IE marginally, better, which is what I said when you called me a retard.

Why would i care about what dildolos said? Dude is retarded, like a more chill version of fluent.
I was talking to you about a some retarded statement you made.
Because you quoted my response to him. Derp.

Alright, whats so good about WL2 that 3 doesnt have?
I haven't played WL2 since 2013, so just working off what I recall I would say that they're about equal but I give the nod to WL2 because the synth villains like Tinker were more sinister and it had nice narrative moments such as when you don't save the green house place and come upon the damaged synth. There's less of that in this one.

Neither overarching narrative was that great. WL2 was a rehash of WL1, and it would have been better if you started as a Californian recruit of the expanding Rangers with a different villain than WL1's, all the cool factions could have just been used there instead. Also would have preferred a single PC like Fallout which is just a better and less nebulous way to present an RPG narrative. WL3 might have the better overall narrative, but I threw out "New Vegas King Lear" and I think that actually hits the mark, but a much lesser quality story than New Vegas and bland.

In both games the quest designs are pretty bunk, but WL3 much more so. Two examples: La Perla and the secret bunker. La Perla doesn't make sense why your whole ranger group would agree to do slavery business (because you are playing as the whole group, not one PC), doesn't make sense that there are only two options like retrieve her slave or kill her/warn the slave (no reactivity when you do kill her, it sits unfinished on my log), doesn't make sense that you can't have ranger recruits there trying codes same way she did. Doesn't make sense you can't at least arrest her until she coughs up the codes if they're that valuable, she is a criminal. There is no reward for not helping her, a cheap moral gimmick to get players to do an evil act but once again doesn't make sense why the whole ranger team and whatever NPC companions agree to it. On the secret bunker they did it so lazily, you open the passage in the park in broad daylight, not even flavor text about waiting until the dead of night, you can use speech skill checks to get pass the first group only for it being impossible to get by them on the way out anyway. There doesn't seem to be any consequence with the Patriarch for doing it. Doesn't make sense why the Patriarch giving up criminals and lowlifes to the raider groups in order to keep everybody else in his territory safe is less preferable than working with an actual slaver lowlife.

There were technical regressions, can't click minimap to move your team across the map. No inventory sorting. Some areas of the combat might be better overall but the targeting animations are less cool than in WL2 (and in both games less cool than FO1/2 which came out nearly 20 years before WL2), bunch of little things showing it was clearly console focused even though the crowd funders are definitely predominantly PC players.

Ultimately I was massively disappointed with WL2, and had low expectations for WL3, yet still think WL2 nudges it overall. Both games are mediocre to good but definitely are overrated.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Can we cleanse this thread from the retards already?

Tardish and that alt Johnsmith shitting up the thread trying to derail actual discussion about the game and impressions.

Apparently they view ATOM as some masterwork piece of art, which is just laughable all around. They feel the need to come in here and screech and scream about how its a better game than Wasteland series.. REEEEEE

Yeah ok, bye now.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
there's no point in arguing with slavboos on codex
If you are talking about me, I'm not a Slav, and dude posted a digital painting to make a point about graphics.

Basically anyone who dislikes this game or disagrees with these fanboys is a Slav at this point.

I'm a Potato and I like the game a lot so far (despite counting W2 as one of the biggest gaming dissapointments).
:whiteknight:

Its really a colossal improvement in nearly every area but size (both general and area size).

Angela Deth? More like Angela Dead

Well I beat the game today. I think it's InXile's best modern game yet. It certainly redeemed them in my eyes. I was quite disappointed in their handful of past releases but this one is of a much higher caliber.

What I liked about the game are:
  • Lots of C&C with meaningful, far-reaching consequences.
  • Copious amounts of gameplay-options/skill-checks both in gameplay and dialogue.
  • Decent plot and a distinct lack of virtue signaling
  • The overal presentation of the game, especially in the soundtrack department
  • The comabt in general, with a few caveats (see below)
  • Great itemization and customization. The game constantly gives you unique/hand-crafted weapons and armor for both your team and your vehicle.
  • Leveling up is meaningful with the way how it ties into what equipment you can use or abilities you can trigger. Each rank in a combat skill unlocks a power-level of a weapon type for example.
  • The entire Angela Deth arc was great. An example of stellar conflict writing. There are several ways to handle her (including an alliance) but I chose to kill her with a nucelar warhead. I both regret my decision and stand by what I did. Her methods were bad, but so were mine, and neither of us were wrong for thinking our way was the right way. We both had very valid reasons for what we did. They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions and it was certainly the case here for all the parties invovled. We all did terrible things in service of a worthy ideal. In the end, only of us made it out alive. This will be a gaming moment that I will remember for a long time, and I never expected such a thing from Brian Fargo.

My cricisms are:
  • A few "Tough Moral Choice (TM)" scenarios that could've easily been resolved with a bit of nuance. In the Angela Deth example above, you can see the good way of confronting the player with one of these choices. There it was the character of Angela Deth herself who forced your hand into making the decision. It was the uncompromising nature of her personality that made the decision necessary. Unfortunately, there are also cases where the choice is entirely arbitrary and limited by the laziness or lack of insight on the part of the writers. For example the Gipper/Commune situation could've easily been rectified without violence, and without alienating the machines if I were just able to lie to the Gippers about where I sent the AI. I would send it to the commune, and then lie to the Gippers that it's in Ranger HQ. Problem solved. There are few other situations like this, but honeslty not a big issue, considering that these situations are handled well in the main quest and especially where they matter the most - the ending. This is a cancer that's been gripping the entire RPG industry, where writers sacrifice nuance and options in favor of forcing you to make arbitrary "emotionally impactful (TM)" choices.
  • Idiosyncracies in the world: The same people who have highly advanced solar-powered farms, oil production, and high-tech vehicles/weaponary consider the idea of deep-fried donuts or a fish impossible . It's honestly quite odd, and as if the person who has written those lines had no idea about the world he was writing for.
  • Your party is too large, and has too many skill-points for the challenges it faces, at least on the Ranger difficulty. My primary issue with this is that you can easily arrange your party in such a way that you are able to respond to any skill-check. I never missed a skill-check the entire game. I always had all the options available to me and so the choices always boiled down to personal preference. I think it reduces the replay-value of the game.
  • You are always incenstivized to open the combat scenarios without talking to NPCs. I believe I missed quite a few dialogue encounters because I chose to open with an RPG shot or a grenade. Otherwise I would be at a huge disadvatange since you will always have full party initiative (you'll get the first turn) when you catch enemies by surprise (and often out of cover) by firing the first shot.
  • Explosives, especially rockets are way too powerful, especially when combined with the tactic mentioned above.
  • I disliked some of the goofy humor in the game but that's just me.
  • The game runs like ass even on my high-end system. The loading times are atrocious, there is lots of lag when you use the menus or enter/exit combat etc.

Final Rating: 8/10 - I will start a second playthrough soon - something i don't often do with an RPG nowadays.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Angela Deth? More like Angela Dead

Well I beat the game today. I think it's InXile's best modern game yet. It certainly redeemed them in my eyes. I was quite disappointed in their handful of past releases but this one is of a much higher caliber.

What I liked about the game are:
  • Lots of C&C with meaningful, far-reaching consequences.
  • Copious amounts of gameplay-options/skill-checks both in gameplay and dialogue.
  • Decent plot and a distinct lack of virtue signaling
  • The overal presentation of the game, especially in the soundtrack department
  • The comabt in general, with a few caveats (see below)
  • Great itemization and customization. The game constantly gives you unique/hand-crafted weapons and armor for both your team and your vehicle.
  • Leveling up is meaningful with the way how it ties into what equipment you can use or abilities you can trigger. Each rank in a combat skill unlocks a power-level of a weapon type for example.
  • The entire Angela Deth arc was great. An example of stellar conflict writing. There are several ways to handle her (including an alliance) but I chose to kill her with a nucelar warhead. I both regret my decision and stand by what I did. Her methods were bad, but so were mine, and neither of us were wrong for thinking our way was the right way. We both had very valid reasons for what we did. They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions and it was certainly the case here for all the parties invovled. We all did terrible things in service of a worthy ideal. In the end, only of us made it out alive. This will be a gaming moment that I will remember for a long time, and I never expected such a thing from Brian Fargo.

My cricisms are:
  • A few "Tough Moral Choice (TM)" scenarios that could've easily been resolved with a bit of nuance. In the Angela Deth example above, you can see the good way of confronting the player with one of these choices. There it was the character of Angela Deth herself who forced your hand into making the decision. It was the uncompromising nature of her personality that made the decision necessary. Unfortunately, there are also cases where the choice is entirely arbitrary and limited by the laziness or lack of insight on the part of the writers. For example the Gipper/Commune situation could've easily been rectified without violence, and without alienating the machines if I were just able to lie to the Gippers about where I sent the AI. I would send it to the commune, and then lie to the Gippers that it's in Ranger HQ. Problem solved. There are few other situations like this, but honeslty not a big issue, considering that these situations are handled well in the main quest and especially where they matter the most - the ending. This is a cancer that's been gripping the entire RPG industry, where writers sacrifice nuance and options in favor of forcing you to make arbitrary "emotionally impactful (TM)" choices.
  • Idiosyncracies in the world: The same people who have highly advanced solar-powered farms, oil production, and high-tech vehicles/weaponary don't know what a deep-fried donut or a fish is. It's honestly quite odd, and as if the person who has written those lines had no idea about the world he was writing for.
  • Your party is too large, and has too many skill-points for the challenges it faces, at least on the Ranger difficulty. My primary issue with this is that you can easily arrange your party in such a way that you are able to respond to any skill-check. I never missed a skill-check the entire game. I always had all the options available to me and so the choices always boiled down to personal preference. I think it reduces the replay-value of the game.
  • You are always incenstivized to open the combat scenarios without talking to NPCs. I believe I missed quite a few dialogue encounters because I chose to open with an RPG shot or a grenade. Otherwise I would be at a huge disadvatange since you will always have full party initiative (you'll get the first turn) if you catch enemies by surprise (and often out of cover) if you fire the first shot.
  • Explosives, especially rockets are way too powerful, especially when combined with the tactic mentioned above.
  • I disliked some of the goofy humor in the game but that's just me.
  • The game runs like ass even on my high-end system. The loading times are atrocious, there is lots of lag when you use the menus or enter/exit combat etc.

Final Rating: 8/10

Good review, bro. I agree with most of it, as will most others I reckon. Especially the intiative part and chesing combat with rockets, and you miss out on dialogue, simply because the balance is skewered. That's really a shame, but fixable. The game needs a hard balance pass, and tuning on especially SJ difficulty.

Tone down skillpoints, tone down enemy damage, and improve initiative and armor mechanics, so it actually matters, instead of the old western who shoots first wins vibe it has currently. Perhaps limit the amount of rockets pr. combat encounter or something like that. Or just balance the rocket damage

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom