Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Some more balance could be good (like nerfing already mentioned Tier 7-8 weapons, the jump there is honestly a bit much).
Plus fix Devastation perk (and Leader multikill bonus), so it no longer calculates cover as additional targets!

But it would need to be applied carefully. I'm against overnerfing rocket launchers for example. Currently they do maybe 900 damage on crit and 200-300 normal damage for me. 200 damage is a drop in the bucket on Supreme Jerk. Even a crit doesn't kill many enemies. And you're firing rockets, FFS!

MAYBE exempt rockets from the sneak attack mechanics to reduce their Alpha Strike potential. Then again these kind of synergies and unexpected combos are largely what makes games fun!

MAYBE exempt rockets from the sneak attack mechanics to reduce their Alpha Strike potential. Then again these kind of synergies and unexpected combos are largely what makes games fun!
I agree with this. I don't really want the rocket start tactic to disappear. I just want it to not be the most optimal way to do things 100% of the time.

Lhynn

Arcane
Right, so they're comparable quality, with WL3 being slightly, IE marginally, better, which is what I said when you called me a retard.
Difference isnt small you weasel, its instantly noticeable in fact.

Because you quoted my response to him. Derp.
Im discussing your claim, i dont care what anybody else said.

I haven't played WL2 since 2013, so just working off what I recall I would say that they're about equal but I give the nod to WL2 because the synth villains like Tinker were more sinister and it had nice narrative moments such as when you don't save the green house place and come upon the damaged synth. There's less of that in this one.
I played that gamer 2 years ago and i have no clue what you are talking about. Game was dull and forgettable tripe.

WL3 might have the better overall narrative
Thanks for conceding. Yes im sure if you compare the heights of one game with the lows of another you can make a case as to why WL2 is btter, but it is pretty dishonest.

In both games the quest designs are pretty bunk, but WL3 much more so. Two examples: La Perla and the secret bunker. La Perla doesn't make sense why your whole ranger group would agree to do slavery business (because you are playing as the whole group, not one PC), doesn't make sense that there are only two options like retrieve her slave or kill her/warn the slave (no reactivity when you do kill her, it sits unfinished on my log), doesn't make sense that you can't have ranger recruits there trying codes same way she did. Doesn't make sense you can't at least arrest her until she coughs up the codes if they're that valuable, she is a criminal. There is no reward for not helping her, a cheap moral gimmick to get players to do an evil act but once again doesn't make sense why the whole ranger team and whatever NPC companions agree to it. On the secret bunker they did it so lazily, you open the passage in the park in broad daylight, not even flavor text about waiting until the dead of night, you can use speech skill checks to get pass the first group only for it being impossible to get by them on the way out anyway. There doesn't seem to be any consequence with the Patriarch for doing it. Doesn't make sense why the Patriarch giving up criminals and lowlifes to the raider groups in order to keep everybody else in his territory safe is less preferable than working with an actual slaver lowlife.

There were technical regressions, can't click minimap to move your team across the map. No inventory sorting.
This ill grant you. Its beyond insane that it actually shows you junk when you dont filter, why would you want to see that shit? Its fucking junk!

Some areas of the combat might be better overall but the targeting animations
Ok, so combat in WL3 is better but you find the combat animations an intolerable downgrade.

Ultimately I was massively disappointed with WL2, and had low expectations for WL3, yet still think WL2 nudges it overall. Both games are mediocre to good but definitely are overrated.
Dude, who even has rated WL3 yet? Its too fresh out of the oven, wl2 received massive improvements over the years, and im expecting WL3 will get a similar treatment. But i can tell you this much, WL3 plays better, both in combat, narratively speaking, even if it is a lot dumber it manages to be more entertaining by virtue of execution.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Idiosyncracies in the world: The same people who have highly advanced solar-powered farms, oil production, and high-tech vehicles/weaponary consider the idea of deep-fried donuts or a fish impossible . It's honestly quite odd, and as if the person who has written those lines had no idea about the world he was writing for.

Perhaps they are unable to produce sunflower oil. Like that's quite important component to make fried stuff.

Perhaps they are unable to produce sunflower oil. Like that's quite important component to make fried stuff.
You're right, but the problem here is that they consider even the idea of things like fish or deep-fried donuts impossible. The specific dialogue about donuts puts them in the same level of inplausability as aliens. One of the people even says "I want to believe". It just comes of as jarring and implausible. Luckily, it doesn't happen too often.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Clipboard03.png

:excellent:

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
Difference isnt small you weasel, its instantly noticeable in fact.

You just said:
"They are of comparable quality, but WL3s is higher. Which was my point. Art direction is irrelevant, matter of taste and all of that."

What does "comparable" mean to you?
:philosoraptor:

Reminder that you posted concept art as proof of one having much higher graphical quality. :retarded:

Im discussing your claim, i dont care what anybody else said.
Yes, I responded to someone else that brought up graphics. Then you responded to me responding to them, then said I brought up graphics and what he said is irrelevant. Huh? You are an imbecile.

I played that gamer 2 years ago and i have no clue what you are talking about. Game was dull and forgettable tripe.
You and many others will probably say the same about WL3 by 2021.

Thanks for conceding. Yes im sure if you compare the heights of one game with the lows of another you can make a case as to why WL2 is btter, but it is pretty dishonest.
Silly arch faggot. Better overall narrative because it wasn't a rehash of the first game but neither main plot is that good.

Ok, so combat in WL3 is better but you find the combat animations an intolerable downgrade.
As I said I have not played WL2 in 7 years. That's not fresh enough to compare the combat between the two. Hence, "might." In my mind they are largely the same. I do remember the targeting animations and they were cooler in WL2. You could shoot people in the knee and watch them tumble down, the macabre humor was better.

Dude, who even has rated WL3 yet? Its too fresh out of the oven, wl2 received massive improvements over the years, and im expecting WL3 will get a similar treatment. But i can tell you this much, WL3 plays better, both in combat, narratively speaking, even if it is a lot dumber it manages to be more entertaining by virtue of execution.
I don't remember 80% of the time spent playing WL2 being load screens.

Saduj

Arcane
And no, you can't have 5 npcs. The most you can have is 4, so you're stuck with 2 bots at the very least.

OK, this is my fault. I was imprecise in my wording. Here's what you do:

1) Start a new game and create the character you want. Point to your screen as say "This is me! I'm the leader!".
2) Create a second character. This one is the icky "bot".
3) Play the tutorial.
4) Talk to Greatsky at the base. Dump the bot and pick up 3 pre-fab Rangers. Now there is only one character you created in your party and it is you! Fill out the party with NPCs as you see fit.

5) Immershun!

You're welcome.

Last edited:
The character you play in Wasteland 3 is Team November. I agree that it's an odd way of doing things - you are not one specific person, but the whole team itself - but for some reason I had no trouble immersing myself. I still felt personally engaged in the story and responsible for the choices i made. In some sense, the team became a vessel through which my will was carried. I think I saw each character as an aspect of my "self". One character represented my wrath - my melee/tank - and another embodied my guile (the sniper/thief). So on and so forth. I'm not expressing myself perfectly well here, but that's the general idea. The Companions were different. They were they own persons who accompanied me through the journey.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I had no trouble at all to roleplay as a single guy, first guy, aka me was the leader. The rest of the created characters were loyalists to me. Whole thing reminds me of creating characters in JA2 (if you cheat and create more than one).

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Why is this pleb discussion even necessary? There have been countless RPGs where you create a full party and aren't larping as any one of them in particular. Anyone who complained about lack of immersion in Wizardry or Icewind Dale got laughed off the Internet.

Quillon

Arcane
I've no problems with being "team november" but why the fuck do we have to have 2 player created characters?(for co-op to make sense in another mode?) As soon as I got my 5th story companion or when I got to the base the first time I shoulda been able to replace/remove one of initial 2 created characters. WL2 allowed team echo to be a solo character.

Why is this pleb discussion even necessary? There have been countless RPGs where you create a full party and aren't larping as any one of them in particular. Anyone who complained about lack of immersion in Wizardry or Icewind Dale got laughed off the Internet.

And there have been countless shit RPG's. It doesn't matter if YOU can picture yourself as the first guy you create, it's the game world that's tailored to be as impersonal and detached as possible, which is something beyond your control. For example, seeing an amnesic man "accidentally" call his ex-fiancee in the middle of the night and find out that she's moved on long ago in Disco Elysium would hit you like a truck. I don't want to spoil it too much, but that has to be one of the most emotional scenes in gaming history.

For the life of me, I can't imagine this dumb "team narrative" kind of game world would be able to produce something remotely as good. I mean, Jesus, just picture Planescape: Torment having this "team narrative" thing and just totally ditch the whole Nameless One personal story or have a whole bunch of Nameless Ones all waking up in the morgue at the same time.

This game is a glorified Xcom-like shooter, nothing more.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
@ idiots ITT arguing about graphics: Please take your popamole, Bioware forum tier shit elsewhere. ATOM has passable, serviceable graphics, WL2 and 3 as well. Monocled game discussion my ass.

Quillon

Arcane
@ idiots ITT arguing about graphics: Please take your popamole, Bioware forum tier shit elsewhere. ATOM has passable, serviceable graphics, WL2 and 3 as well. Monocled game discussion my ass.

the problem is the game runs like ass despite the not-awesome gfx

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
It was the Inxile fanboy Dildolos that brought up graphics to bash ATOM RPG, dumbass. My whole point was that WL3 doesn't have much better graphics than Atom, and if you are going to trumpet WL3's graphics it better look something like Beautiful Desolation, not what it actually does. Then another dumbass that can't follow a conversation, much like yourself, posted concept art as proof of superior graphical quality.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
rusty_shackleford that's literally what happened, you spastic retard.

It amazes me that the makers of Atom RPG did more with 1/100th the budget.
Longer development time, 1 man making decicions, so less fighting, its got more bugs and worse QA, ATOM have way way way lower production values and looks like a game from 2002 on playstation 2 or whatever.
Wasteland 3's graphics aren't that much better than Atom's, it's more stylized.
:nocountryforshitposters:

2d834f8041a3fb9b79628d2600f91349.jpg

wasteland-3-vehicle-fight.jpg

Are you blind or retarded?

Keep pressing the shiny buttons, Corky.

BTW Lhynn went back and changed the image, but it's still concept art :stupid:

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
It was the Inxile fanboy Dildolos that brought up graphics to bash ATOM RPG, dumbass. My whole point was that WL3 doesn't have much better graphics than Atom, and if you are going to trumpet WL3's graphics it better look something like Beautiful Desolation, not what it actually does. Then another dumbass that can't follow a conversation, much like yourself, posted concept art as proof of superior graphical quality.

You brought up ATOM to bash Wasteland 3, and I countered that with bringing up how trash ATOM is compared to Wasteland 3, graphics included.

Now please, fuck off and go jerk off in the ATOM thread, please. Funnily enough, there's zero wasteland 3 fans bashing ATOM in the ATOM thread, so why are you here bashing Wasteland 3? You are unwanted here.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
I see a lot of praise for the voice acting, and while some of it is indeed good, most of the voice acting sounds like it's done by nasally fat chicks trying to sound badass while reading off the lines written by tumblr dykes.

kmzEg1r.png

N3Rebzs.png

This character is soooo badass man, torture doesn't even phase her, locked in a freezer and lost her fingers to frost bite, no big deal it's a snack! Wonder how she ever got taken alive though? And yeah, losing a finger is totally the worse than that could happen.

(and even has the insult "shitlord" unironically used in dialogue.... :lol:)

Edit: has my dude rusty_shackleford been F5ing waiting for me to post for hours? He's ready with his silly downdoot less than 2 minutes after I posted in a dormant thread.
New ineptile game, yippee kay yay batman
zU064MP.gif

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I see a lot of praise for the voice acting, and while some of it is indeed good, most of the voice acting sounds like it's done by nasally fat chicks trying to sound badass while reading off the lines written by tumblr dykes.

kmzEg1r.png

N3Rebzs.png

This character is soooo badass man, torture doesn't even phase her, locked in a freezer and lost her fingers to frost bite, no big deal it's a snack! Wonder how she ever got taken alive though? And yeah, losing a finger is totally the worse than that could happen.

(and even has the insult "shitlord" unironically used in dialogue.... :lol:)

Edit: has my dude rusty_shackleford been F5ing waiting for me to post for hours? He's ready with his silly downdoot less than 2 minutes after I posted in a dormant thread.
New ineptile game, yippee kay yay batman
zU064MP.gif

Hows the writing and voice acting in ATOM though? Oh right, total garbage tier, that's right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom