Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Duke Nukem 3D - Maps and Mods

Sjukob

Arcane
Are the older version of WGRealms worth a shot? Never played any of them.
They do. Out of the big trio: Alien Armageddon, AMC TC and WGRealms 2, I'm inclined to rate WGRealms 2 as the best one. And that is for one simple reason, it tried to get away from one major issue that plagues all Build Engine games and their mods - hitscan enemies. Enemy roster features no hitscanners at all, the only ones who can compare to them are the hell knights armed with shotguns, they shoot out projectiles that move really fast, but they can be dodged if you stand far enough. The barons themselves are some of the most fragile and slowest enemies in the mod, so I think they are fair. In general enemy design is more about them having some sort of special abilities and telegraphed attacks, worthy attempt, but the protagonist are so powerful that you are going to stomp any resistance you face.

The level design isn't as visually stunning as AMC TC one, but it's still very good, still mostly focused on exploration and not so much on combat.

Jedrik - the second playable character, while very powerful, is rather unpolished/unfinished, I hope the coming update will fix his issues.

A lot of the resources were ripped from other games (Doom, Hexen, Heretic and others), but the very same artist who works on AMC TC is going to update a lot of the sprites in the mod, so it will get a more unique appearance.

From what I've seen in the trailers, old levels are mostly going to be left intact, so you aren't missing out anything by waiting for an update.

lightbane

Arcane
Jedrik - the second playable character, while very powerful, is rather unpolished/unfinished, I hope the coming update will fix his issues.
I remember playing with him back a few years ago, when this new update wasn't a thing yet. He may be unpolished, but he's serviceable, and, while all of his stuff is stolen from Witchaven, he actually DOES have higher speed movement compared to Duke, guided dashes to get into melee with specific enemies and so on, things that AMC DOES NOT have for its melee character, making him a pointless choice in a game with guns everywhere.
However, Jedrik requires to be unlocked first by completing a difficult map IIRC.

lightbane

Arcane
Gave it a quick spin. Works like a charm, and now you can start as the medieval guy right from the start, which IMO fits the game better than Duke.
I would like to have a recap of WGR1 though, if only to know why Duke starts in an exploding ship.

Sjukob

Arcane
What's wrong with Hitscan Enemies? We had hitscan enemies since Doom and nobody had an issue with them. That's just pretty much how bullets work. You press trigger, gun shoots bullet at anywhere between half the speed of sound or even more. Unless you want Duke to move faster than sound, there's nothing wrong with hitscanners.
The issue with hitscanners is pretty obvious to anybody who played some classic FPS - you must hide behind something to avoid taking damage. In Doom it is much less of an issue, because you can hide behind monster bodies and initiate infighting that way, and every hitscanner is very fragile, so it's usually not a roblem to kill them. No idea how hitscan enemies were received when Doom came out, I've only started playing it somewhere around 2014. But Doom was pretty much the first FPS game, widely known at least, I wouldn't be surprised if there was no real criticism of them at the time, people just didn't know any better. However, as soon as hitscanners become the dominant enemy in the encounters the player gets pretty much forced into hiding, otherwise he takes too much damage, essentially it turns the game into a :popamole: and it's the reason why most modern shooters are made fun of here.

But even classic FPS had issues with this, look at Blood, where you peek and throw dynamite around corners for the entirety of the first episode, there are just too many hitscanners and they remain the most dangerous enemies throughout the whole game. In Duke it's a problem because there's no infightning and the monsters have a good number of HP in general, skewing the game towards peekaboo style of gameplay. Compare this to Unreal, for example, where you can freely move around as you please, because nobody, except the cursed marines, tries to hitscan you.

No offense, but when you put it like this I get the impression that you don't really understand what you are talking about.

Last edited:

Sjukob

Arcane
Works like a charm, and now you can start as the medieval guy right from the start, which IMO fits the game better than Duke.
Jedrik was already overpowered in the old version, now he is just stupid broken. Well, at least he's still fun to play and monsters got deadlier in general.

lightbane

Arcane
What's wrong with Hitscan Enemies? We had hitscan enemies since Doom and nobody had an issue with them. That's just pretty much how bullets work. You press trigger, gun shoots bullet at anywhere between half the speed of sound or even more. Unless you want Duke to move faster than sound, there's nothing wrong with hitscanners.
An image works better than thousand words, or so they say, so there you have it.

l7XIy3fogVmXWWr5LTi0ouXfXwhUDLDNx4X6YbxLYRs.jpg

schru

Arcane
Lee Jackson, one of the original composers on the game, has released an album inspired by the game and the tracks are intended to fit in the game:

https://leejackson1.bandcamp.com/album/duke-nukem-tank-tracks

“Duke Nukem Tank Tracks” Album Released!

Posted on 2021-02-26 Written by D. LEE JACKSON LEAVE A COMMENT

TankTracksAlbumSmall.jpg

The moment has finally arrived! My third album, “Duke Nukem Tank Tracks,” has been released!

This album was begun in 2018 and worked on (i.e., tweaked to death) until its completion in early 2021. It was inspired by the levels in “Duke Nukem 3D” and its successors, the “Atomic Edition” and the “20th Anniversary World Tour.” To write it, I dug back into the original MIDI music that Bobby Prince and I did for the game, studied the hell out of it, and came up with 15 new tracks using music and audio technology that wasn’t available back in 1996, when the game first came out.

I’m doing a digital-only release this time around. You’ll be able to either purchase the album for download or stream it. It’ll be available at tons of locations, including Amazon, Bandcamp, Spotify, and others. If you want to keep track of the major sites it’s on, visit my HearNow page, bookmark it, and keep checking back as new sites show up. By the way, you’ll be able to hear sneak previews of all 15 tracks on my HearNow page as well – one more reason to visit!

There are a couple of bonuses available if you buy the album from Bandcamp (base price $10). First, you’ll get a high-resolution PNG file of the digital cover art, created by renowned webcomic artist Kittyhawk. Second, you’ll get a seven-page booklet of liner notes, complete with info about each of the 15 tracks. Finally, those liner notes will include info on how to get the “DUKE NUKEM TANK TRACKS” OGG PACK, which will let you play the album’s songs inside the PC version of the “Duke Nukem: 20th Anniversary World Tour” version of the game!

The OGG Pack, which sells separately from the album for $5, is a ZIP file containing OGG format files of all 15 songs from the album, ready to be inserted into the game. It comes complete with a USER.CON file and a READ_ME.TXT file which will help you get things set up. It’s available from the “DUKE NUKEM TANK TRACKS” OGG PACK Store.

Three years is a long time to wait. I hope you’ll agree it was worth it. Download your copies today!

“Duke Nukem Tank Tracks” Album Released! – D. Lee Jackson (lbjackson.com)

Music video for one of the tracks:

Sjukob

Arcane
Yo, if I understand it correctly AMC TC episode 4 is coming out this october, about 1 ear earlier than it was originally promised, here's the trailer:

If only the combat was better...

Sjukob

Arcane
So, episode 4 was pretty nice and you should definitely check it out, but I still think that the second episode is the best among them, I would rank them like this:
2>4=1>3

I will take my time to write a review of what has changed since my last big post.
amcsquad-2022-10-15-00-10-21-08--KOPIY3700f25ee8119d00.png

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Oh dear i still have a cd rom with a dozen of huge maps i used to do for that game with even custom sprites and ennemies. The nostalgia feels.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
https://www.moddb.com/mods/duke-nukem-3d-legacy-edition

Miss the legend? Return to the legacy! Duke Nukem 3D is back, rebalanced, remixed and HARDER. A mix between the old and the new, play with new (legacy) weapons, against new (legacy) enemies. Legacy Edition will make you sweat, be strategic, jump, run, dodge and blow everything away. Play the original 3 episodes with beta and alpha elements remixed into the game. This mod features: - A score system; - New weapons like the flamethrower, plasma gun, the old alpha shotgun and others; - Alternate fire modes for some weapons; - New enemies like the beta double shotgun pigcop, the beta overlord and others; - Rebalanced skill levels; - Rebalanced the entire game (HARDER); - A life system (you are gonna need it, trust me); - A revamped soundtrack (boss fighting got realy interesting now); - A final fight that's gonna blow your mind; Good luck!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom