Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unofficial patches for Thief and other PC games

spekkio

Arcane
My bad. Somehow I've posted a link to the Community Edition. Shitty ModDB interface (every category has its own files) didn't help. Fixd nao.

JaMpocalypse

Novice
Some things make by DesiQuintans

Universal WASD controls for top-down RPGs
What does it do?
If you are like me, you’ve always wished you could use WASD to control the movement of your character in top-down RPGs, where you would otherwise have to click on the ground to move (Diablo, Torchlight, Titan Quest, Grim Dawn, and so on). Universal WASD (UWASD) binds mouse clicks to the WASD keys, so that pressing W places a click above your character and makes them walk up. Or you can tell UWASD to click somewhere else, like clicking to the top-left of your character in an isometric game.

UWASD also doubles as an auto-pickup macro; move your character over an item and they will grab it automatically. In the past there have been lots of requests for such a thing and not enough action, so here we are. This is handy for idle exploring or travelling, eliminating the need to keep clicking all the dang time.

Hold-to-aim (hold ADS) controls in EYE Divine Cybermancy
EYE Divine Cybermancy only has toggle-to-aim controls, which many people find clumsy. This Autohotkey script adds industry-standard hold-to-aim controls to the game without interrupting the other functions that the Aim button also performs in the game.

The script does this by differentiating between taps and holds, so you can still tap the Right Mouse to do the game's original things, and then hold to aim whenever you like. This also means that you have a choice between toggle-to-aim and hold-to-aim. Choosing between them is entirely contextual based on how long you hold the button down, it feels very natural.

spekkio

Arcane
Pretty Prinny (unofficial update / enhancer for Disgaea PC, supposed to work with D2 and Phantom Brave too - see Steam thread)

Stuff:
Uncaps the 720p internal resolution
Removes artifacts caused by sprite smoothing
Enhances SSAO quality
Fixes bad texture coordinates on many sprites
Bypasses Intel integrated GPUs on laptops
Improves OpenGL performance
Supports custom button icons
Supports custom resolutions
Adds cursor management
Adds UI color customization
Adds MSAA support
Adds a PSN Trophy sound on achievement unlock

Decent PC port anyway. Enhanced UI and font look nice, enhanced world textures not necesarily.

PC:

caEWywd.jpg

vQhJNys.jpg

PS2:

vYutsCp.jpg

But you can tweak a lot of port's options:

paahY76.png

:incline:

Last edited:

JaMpocalypse

Novice
A Russian guy has made some patches / wrappers for some old games .
Veroks's Official Blog

New Release from Veroks's

Cossacks II/ Alexander the Great / Heroes of Annihilated Empires (DIRECT3D PATCH)

I've only tried cossacks 2, and it works perfect, no more random crashes or massive fps drops
Fixes & features:
  • Propper launching on Windows 8/8.1/10
  • Added windowed mode. Games can now switch into windowed/fullscreen mode
Supported games:

• Alexander the Great
  • Cossacks II
    • Napoleonic Wars
    • Battle for Europe
  • Heroes of Annihilated Empires

agris

Arcane
Patron
With the quarantine, I was looking at replaying Gothic 2 since it's been.. eh the better part of 15 years. To call me skeptical of modders is an understatement, but I think I found a good unofficial patch for the game:

Yet Another Unofficial Patch for Gothic II/NotR/Gold (v2.5 - finalized)

Junmarko i know you like gothic 2, have you tried this? I'm installing it now, plan to play with german VO. I may add the dx11 renderer on top of it, but other than that it seems to have fixed some of the issues introduced in NotR by adopting a scroll / LP system closer to classic G2.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Yet Another Unofficial Patch for Gothic II/NotR/Gold (v2.5 - finalized)

Junmarko i know you like gothic 2, have you tried this? I'm installing it now, plan to play with german VO. I may add the dx11 renderer on top of it, but other than that it seems to have fixed some of the issues introduced in NotR by adopting a scroll / LP system closer to classic G2.
Ja, ze Gothic 1 und 2 ist zehr gut.

Hehe, nah man, I haven't tried that one. Pretty cool though, gotta love the Gothic modding community, they never stop lol. I will give it a play when I feel the Gothic itch come back. Cheers :salute:

Also, I do recall the DX11 renderer fixing a lot of the slow-down problems vanilla Gothic has with modern hardware. Wonder if there is an RTX fix nearby? That would look even better.

Don Peste

Arcane
https://github.com/elishacloud/dxwrapper/wiki
DxWrapper is a dll file designed to fix compatibility issues in older games by wrapping or hooking DirectX (or other) libraries to fix Windows 10 compatibility issues in older games.
I used this on Frater / The Chosen: Well Of Souls to fix the "Unable to set the video mode" error. It can be combined with dgvoodoo.
It was tested on these games:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
DXwind+dgvoodoo was my combo to run Devil Inside.
Took me more time set things up than play this thing, it was short game ...

spekkio

Arcane
Just some things...
Too bad that people don't give a fuck about this thread - I often notice some fags posting some fixes in "game-related" threads, which often get kinda lost in all the shitposting. Fortunately PCGamingWiki has almost all the interesting stuff nowadays...

deuxhero

Arcane
If Doom source ports are listed, OpenMW ought to be listed for Morrowind. In addition to being way, way more stable, it also fixes some bugs burried too deeply for fan patches to fix. The existing inaccuracies at this point are relatively minor

gondor

Learned
some updates for the first page:

the dormant keeperFX project was continued by:
https://keeperklan.com/threads/7104-KeeperFX-Unofficial-0-4-7

from the leaked dark reign 2 source code this update arised:
https://github.com/razodactyl/darkreign2 (follow up of https://github.com/grasmanek94/darkreign2)

Diablo 1:
the devilution project has now reached a stable state, fixing several vanilla bugs & ports (while currently adding hellfire support)
https://github.com/diasurgical/devilutionX

Fallout 1 fixt was succeeded (and partly integrating it) by:
https://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/fallout-et-tu-release-v1-3.218045/

Freelancer patch, the on page one listed unofficial freelancer patch was succeeded (also includes) by Jason's Freelancer Patch v1.25 - last update September 2020 - download the ZIP & the DLL for latest version, which adds most notable widescreen support (more graphical improvement mods here http://blakessanctum.x10.mx/Mods/Freelancer/Freelancer.html)
http://adoxa.altervista.org/freelancer/index.html

Master of Magic
recently Seravy's Master of Magic unofficial patch 1.52 got canonized by the new owner Slitherine - his Caster of Magic Mod is now sold as DLC. Parallel to that Serarvy is working on reconstructing the source code
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=590&t=97156

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
Some more possible additions for the front page:

---

winevdm for 64-bit Windows
https://github.com/otya128/winevdm

This allows you to run 16-bit Windows (Windows 1.x, 2.x, 3.0, 3.1, etc.) applications on 64-bit Windows.

You can either drag-and-drop 16-bit Windows exes to the emulator (i.e. no install), or make some changes to the registry and install the emulator for better compatibility.

Exile trilogy installs and runs fine even without installation, but Mordor: The Depths of Dejenol requires the emulator to be installed.

---

CoolSoft MIDIMapper
https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/midimapper

This adds a tool to the Control Panel that allows you to select your MIDI device even in Windows 64.
I've confirmed it works with actual MIDI synths attached via MIDI-USB cable, with games such as modern Doom source ports, System Shock: Enhanced Edition, and DXX-Rebirth (Descent source port), as well as DOSBOX and SCUMMVM of course.

Last edited:

rohand

Cipher
Some more possible additions for the front page:
CoolSoft MIDIMapper
https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/midimapper

This adds a tool to the Control Panel that allows you to select your MIDI device even in Windows 64.
I've confirmed it works with actual MIDI synths attached via MIDI-USB cable, with games such as modern Doom source ports, System Shock: Enhanced Edition, and DXX-Rebirth (Descent source port).

I use the crap out of this.

spekkio

Arcane
BROS, to my surprise, I've recently learned that some l33t people were able to port Vita / Switch / PC JAP (???) -only DLCs for Ys 8 to glorious PC ENG version.

What to do?

1) Grab the file form the Russians or from here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?y11rv8s409u46yt/

2) Extract ITZ contents to the game folder (backup "dlc" folder & "ys8.exe" just in case). DLCs available in the PC ENG version aren't included in the file. You have to get them elsewhere. ;)

3) Activate the DLCs in "Item" menu.

Q36XGir.jpg

Don't worry about the moonrunes:

T0HAhgs.jpg

18cvOp5.jpg

4) Incline your gaming experience:

WdWKLvp.jpg

q9Fp8jc.jpg

Iah8gpc.jpg

ut7JQ6D.jpg

ioNcIIs.jpg

RK7gkT1.jpg

:dance:

SDoruzQ.gif

:obviously:

spekkio

Arcane
FreeSpace Open

If you find the HUD too small on higher resolutions (1920x1080 screenshots below):

Ir4aKUQ.jpg

1) Go to the "data" directory of the "main" mod you currently use, for example:

/MediaVPs_43X/data/ (Freespace 2)

or

/fsport-mediavps_2014/data/ (Freespace 1 Port)

2) Create a "tables" directory there.

3) Create a "scale-hdg.tbm" file inside of it, with a single line:

Code:
$Scale Gauges: yes

And that's it:

LTCOiji.jpg

:obviously:

spekkio

Arcane
BROS, how about a nice cup of autistic tl;dr? ;)

Running Warhammer 40000 - Dawn Of War in high resolutions.

:yeah:

As we all know, DOW1 (plus ITZ add-ons) is one of the best RTS ever made. But since it was made some time ago, it has some font problems on higher resolutions, not to mention UHD ones.

It supports high resolutions natively, but some fonts are kinda small even in 1024x768:

yP7Mq31.jpg

BFEVVFA.jpg

Since my native res is 1920x1080 (16x9), I went with 1440x1080 (4x3) for the game. Fonts do not scale, and some of them look really tiny. The higher the res, the more noticeable the problem becomes (problematic stuff marked in red):

3piUlVO.jpg

YzZr3Nx.jpg

JaW0Bbh.jpg

yAIn2AL.jpg

You can use widescreen resolutions in the game (just set desired res in Local.ini), but it will only show the 4x3 rectangle anyway, and moving the cursor onto the "black bars" on both edges of the screen will pan the camera, which feels weird:

Vrmr9Bb.jpg

When using 4x3 res, cursor will just stop at the border of the screen (like it should), and camera will start panning just when the cursor is there:

l8kJWjp.jpg

There are widescreen mods for the game, but they're meh, since:
  • 2D elements get stretched,
  • they work properly only if detail level is set to "low".
So, how to make the fonts bigger? Wisefags suggest two solutions.

First, you can adjust scaling settings in Windows options, but that will fuck up all your fonts in the system, so it sounds like heresy. Much better way is to tweak each game font manualy, wasting a couple hours of your life. Like I did. :obviously:

What to do?

Well, grab Dawn of War Soulstorm - Font (4K) & Mouse Fix and extract its contents somewhere. This fix was made by Hokunin and later changed by Robot-Bob.

From what I've gathered, Hokunin extracted contents of game's EnginLoc.sga file, modified them and put them into proper directories, which foreces the game to use these files instead of the ones inside the .sga archive. Good fucking job, I must say.

The file linked above was made by Robot-Bob, with UHD in mind. So if you use it for res like 1920x1080, the fonts will be HUGEASS. Because of that, I suggest to do the tweaking on your own.

There are three sets of files in the archive:

1) /Drivers/spdx9_config.txt

This file contains the fix for the invisible mouse cursor (supposedly Win10 only):

Change this line:

Code:
; allowhwcursor : allows the use of the Dx8 cursor system
allowhwcursor 1
from 1 to 0

Since I'm not affected (still on glorious Win7), I've skipped this one.

2) /Engine/Locale/English/data/art/ui/swf/

There are 5 files there:

GCahxxn.png

But I think there are related to the fonts Robot-Bob modified (see below). Or some animated elements (.swf)? I've skipped these files as well.

3) /Engine/Locale/English/data/font/

That's the crucial folder of the mod. It contains 3 .tff files (fonts) and 10 .fnt files (font settings).

nfJtym5.png

I've skipped the .tff files, since Robot-Bob tweaked the fonts to look slightly different than in the vanilla game. Which is clearly

A HERESY!

I've concentrated on the .fnt files, since modifying these changes font sizes only. But which file is responsible for which font? Well, that took me some time to figure out... :cry:

As I mentioned before, default settings used by Robot-Bob lead to hugeass fonts on my screen. So I've checked all the .fnt files one by one to figure out which file changes which font. And tweaked only the necessary ones.

BTW, the .fnt files can be modified with notepad, their contents look like this:

Code:
font = 
{
	type 		= "FreeType2";
	name 		= "Andale Sans Bold";
	file		= "ANSNB___.TTF";

sizeDefault 	= 94;
	size640		= 94;	
	size800		= 94;	
	size1024	= 94;	
	size1280 	= 94;
	size1600 	= 94;

spaceChar	= " ";
	missingChar	= "?";
}

You don't have to change all the "size" values like Robot-Bob did, just change either the "size1280" or "size1600" section. In case of my res (1440x1080) it was the "size1280" part.

Anyway, back to the font identification... :cry:

1) albertus extra bold12.fnt

This font is used in the "Load Skirmish" menu:

JxCCIlR.jpg

And for one type of the "pop-up" in the main UI:

TsdH8fM.jpg

So, these are one of the things I wanted to change. After some twerking, I went with 'size = 20'. Game looks like this, new elements marked pink:

oR6D91j.jpg

Kyyd8Fj.jpg

GyHG9rR.jpg

2) albertus extra bold14.fnt

This one is AFAIK responsible only for the description of the mission objectives in the "Objectives" menu:

31-1.jpg

I've decided to tweak it a bit, using 'size = 22':

32-1.jpg
3) albertus extra bold16.fnt

This font is used in the loading screen:

41-1.jpg

And "Options" menu.

42-1.jpg

Since these fonts scale nicely / don't need to be tweaked, I've left them alone.
4) engravers old english mt30.fnt

This one is used in the main menu to render your name in stylized form. Check out the borked "Bro" below:

51-1.jpg

This font doesn't need to be tweaked.
5) gillsans_11.fnt

This is another font relevant to my interest. It is used for the map description in the "Map List" menu:

61-1.jpg

But also for the second type of the "pop-up" in the main UI:

62-1.jpg

This is one of the smallest fonts used in the game, and certainly should be tweaked. I went with 'size = 20":

63-1.jpg

64-1.jpg

65-1.jpg
6) gillsans_11b.fnt

I wasn't able to figure out what this font is used for. Did not tweak.

7) gillsans_16.fnt

Same as obove. Maybe these two aren't used?

8) gillsans_bold_16.fnt

This one is certainly used. In the "Campaign" menu:

71-1.jpg

In the "Map List" menu:

72-1.jpg

And in the main UI ("AI assistant" + building / unit name at the bottom + digits in the upper-left menu):

73-1.jpg

Anyway, this one was big enough, so I've left it at default.
9) quorum medium bold13.fnt

Another very important font and one that should be tweaked. It's used in the main menu ("tip of the day at the bottom" + "Burn The Heretic" part):

81-1.jpg

"Mission select" in the "Campaign" menu:

82-1.jpg

In the "Load Skirmish" menu:

83-1.jpg

And in loading screen ("Start Mission"):

84-1.jpg

It's also used multiple times in the main UI, but high values used by Robot-Bob crashed the game, so no screenshots for these. :D

After changing the value for this font to 'size = 20' I was able to figure out where it's used.

85-1.jpg

86-1.jpg

87-1.jpg

88-1.jpg

As you can see, this font is used also in the upper-right menu (Chat / Dip / Obj / Menu), and for your name and your team's name at the bottom.

89-1.jpg

...and also in the "Diplomacy" menu (Send / Clear buttons).

And that's all that needs to be tweaked, since...
10) quorum medium bold16.fnt

Is used in Main Menu:

91-1.jpg

And "Post Game" menu:

92-1.jpg

And it should be left the fuck alone.
So, that's it!

:yeah:

Winter Assault with all four fonts tweaked:

01-1.jpg

02-1.jpg

Vanilla values for comparison:

03-1.jpg

And that's really it, folks.

0KGnubS.jpg

Last edited:

Citizen

widescreen without UI stretching when? Or better yet ultrawidescreen support

#21:9masterrace

spekkio

Arcane
Read the PCGamingWiki article. There are some problems with FOV and fog / rain / minimap rendering. Tricky programmers made some things tricky to make the game run faster. But now it causes problems on higher resolutions.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Glad to see PCGW getting recognized as the first stop ppl should make when running old games. It usually isn’t the last thing you need to know, but does a good job getting a player up to speed on like 80%+ of issues.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom