Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

MadMal073

Literate
Actually, I think that is the case, you are unable to get the full information from items that you identified earlier before the Improved ID spell. However there are Oracles in the game world that you can use to fully ID items, and I think having NPCs ID items (like the blacksmith in Crowl) will also get those earlier items fully identified.

Thanks! This worked.

One other question. How on earth do Locksmith's keys work? I understand they're supposed to be able to bypass locks on chests and doors, but I've tried to use the key in many ways on a variety of chests and doors, and it has never done anything. Are they bugged.

They are supposed to open any chest lower than level 20. There may be chests they do not open.

Thanks, I'll keep trying them, but still no luck with using them on chests or doors. Worst case scenario, my poor bard will eventually learn how to pick the locks from her repeated failures. I've been really lucky on my saving throws vs. traps (worst thing that ever happened from a chest trap so far was my sage's wooden staff getting disintegrated).

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I think the Locksmith keys may be bugged, they never opened anything for me either.

MadMal073

Literate
How does the astral vision skill work? I'm guessing it's like the scout skill except that it detects illusionary walls, but I couldn't find any information to confirm.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
How does the astral vision skill work? I'm guessing it's like the scout skill except that it detects illusionary walls, but I couldn't find any information to confirm.

There is no Astral Vision skill, unless it was added in V3. There is an Astral Travel spell though.

Dorateen

Arcane
I enjoyed the lock-picking mini-game, along with using the super glue to get an advantage on higher level chests. And the door riddles. Don't forget, if you are stuck at a locked wooden door, you can try to force it open after bumping against it a few times and selecting the two strongest characters.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

MadMal073

Literate

There is no Astral Vision skill, unless it was added in V3.
It was. Sage gets it. I don't actually know what it does.

Doesn't the manual say what it does?

"A perceptual discipline enabling the initiate to see that which is invisible." --from Manual 1.2--dunno if there's a more recent one.

But are there even invisible creatures in the game on the field? or invisible objects to interact with?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Yeah, it is probably about illusionary walls, just like Scouting is about things you can search for on a tile.

Detect Secret detects both, by the way.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Going through the skills section of the manual right now, I'm not sure all of these even appear in game. I've never seen Deflection, Iajitsu, or Firearms.

MadMal073

Literate
Going through the skills section of the manual right now, I'm not sure all of these even appear in game. I've never seen Deflection, Iajitsu, or Firearms.

They could be skills taught by NPCs. I've heard rumors of an assassin NPC that provides some kind of training later in the game.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I've never seen Deflection, Iajitsu, or Firearms.

Firearms you can learn in the Sanctuary start or close to the endgame. Iajitsu I don't know either, maybe one of the NPC's in the Green Mandarin house teaches it?

MadMal073

Literate
I've never seen Deflection, Iajitsu, or Firearms.

Firearms you can learn in the Sanctuary start or close to the endgame. Iajitsu I don't know either, maybe one of the NPC's in the Green Mandarin house teaches it?

That's awesome--I knew there were several possible starts, but had no idea the perks/hazards of each varied so widely. I chose the shrine start, which seemed the most "vanilla" of the ones I've heard about, but it gave me 9 lore entries (which I imagine are likely hints for finding key locations in the game).

Is it possible to enter Sanctuary without doing that start?

MadMal073

Literate
To resurrect an NPC from their bones, do you need to do it with the bones in your inventory? or when you're facing them before you pick them up off the ground?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
To resurrect an NPC from their bones, do you need to do it with the bones in your inventory? or when you're facing them before you pick them up off the ground?
Have the bones in your inventory and click on the bones after casting "raise dead" or using a "phoenix feather". :M

MadMal073

Literate
Have the bones in your inventory and click on the bones after casting "raise dead" or using a "phoenix feather". :M

Thanks! It didn't work, but likely because my scroll reading skill (I think it's called Invocation?) was too low (under 20), which might have explained the whole thing. There are way too many good skills for spellcasters to spend points in, especially sages, so it's hard to keep everything topped off. Choices choices...

In the end, I just buried the bones in question and got the item I needed to move on with the first act. I'm exploring the Eyrie/Raptor Grotto now! Two other quick Qs:

Is that 80+ year old templar in the Eyrie worth dropping my durendil templar for? My templar has high stats, but is useless in combat for anything other than healing since I can't find any gear for him yet. At the same time, I don't want to recruit the 80+ templar only to have him die from old age later in the game :D.

On that note, how far in the game do you get good gear for durendil? The part of the first act of game suggests that you can find the sword St. George wielded somewhere under where the Lich's Lair is. Can durendil wield that?

MadMal073

Literate
I think the Locksmith keys may be bugged, they never opened anything for me either.

That's a really noteworthy bug if that is the case. The common gate key is another story but the Locksmith keys absolutely should be working. Will look into this.

Is this thread where I should be reporting bugs btw? Don't want to clog it up if there's somewhere better/easier. I bought the game on Steam and there's a bug thread there, but I'd rather post on the codex over the Steam discussion forums unless the latter is best.

Haven't encountered anything significant other than the Locksmith keys not working though--just a few minor typos and one graphical glitch (a flickering cell in St. George's tomb).

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Thanks! It didn't work, but likely because my scroll reading skill (I think it's called Invocation?) was too low (under 20), which might have explained the whole thing. There are way too many good skills for spellcasters to spend points in, especially sages, so it's hard to keep everything topped off. Choices choices...

In the end, I just buried the bones in question and got the item I needed to move on with the first act. I'm exploring the Eyrie/Raptor Grotto now! Two other quick Qs:

Is that 80+ year old templar in the Eyrie worth dropping my durendil templar for? My templar has high stats, but is useless in combat for anything other than healing since I can't find any gear for him yet. At the same time, I don't want to recruit the 80+ templar only to have him die from old age later in the game :D.

On that note, how far in the game do you get good gear for durendil? The part of the first act of game suggests that you can find the sword St. George wielded somewhere under where the Lich's Lair is. Can durendil wield that?

In my previous playthrough I kept Sir Coffergus till the end. The only downside of recruited members is that they cannot change classes.

Never bothered with the Durendil, so I don't know when you can get better gear. Pretty sure they can wield the flaming sword though.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

In my previous playthrough I kept Sir Coffergus till the end. The only downside of recruited members is that they cannot change classes.

Never bothered with the Durendil, so I don't know when you can get better gear. Pretty sure they can wield the flaming sword though.

Durendil should be able to use any sword, shield or armor with a "legendary" quality - like Excalibur or a Lightning Sword, etc. If it is epic they should be able to use it.

MadMal073

Literate
Durendil should be able to use any sword, shield or armor with a "legendary" quality - like Excalibur or a Lightning Sword, etc. If it is epic they should be able to use it.

Thanks! I picked Durendil, Aeorb, Giant, and Vamphyr (even though all three of them come with some significant drawbacks) to make my playthrough a bit more unique. Figuring out the Vamphyr in particular has definitely been fun. He's a necro, but I've been levelling his unarmed skill on the side and have discovered that his bite attack is pretty awesome, especially when the enemy fails its save. Counting the drain damage, he has dealt over 20 points of damage in a single unarmed attack early game. Great fallback when he runs out of mana.

Out of curiosity, what stats affect whether a character's native "supernatural" attack (Vamphyr charm, Saurian acid spit, etc.) succeeds? Str? Con?

MadMal073

Literate
I'm approaching the semi-"point of no return" in Crowl, since the only area I have left in the beginning of the game is Samhain. Question:

If I choose to kill Argosyre (yes I spoiled it, though it was obvious he was a sketchy dude anyway), I understand the whole town basically turns on me except the innkeeper whose asks you to save her sister--is it possible to restore relations back to friendly/neutral with the remaining townspeople? Do they restore on their own or do I have to scatter gold coins amongst the peasantry?

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
I'm approaching the semi-"point of no return" in Crowl, since the only area I have left in the beginning of the game is Samhain. Question:

If I choose to kill Argosyre (yes I spoiled it, though it was obvious he was a sketchy dude anyway), I understand the whole town basically turns on me except the innkeeper whose asks you to save her sister--is it possible to restore relations back to friendly/neutral with the remaining townspeople? Do they restore on their own or do I have to scatter gold coins amongst the peasantry?

Give it some time and the animosity will fade - except for a few specially marked NPCs who never forgive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom