Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Doktor Best

Arcane
Any way to make inspire greatness turn off automatically after combat just like inspire courage does? It's annoying that i have to turn it off manually because sometimes you forget and blow all your uses.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I will start with the biggest, worst problem- the game cheats.
This is another example of cognitive inability of Homo sapiens sapiens to understand randomness and probablitiy. Somewhere on reddit there is a post where the author wrote down all the rolls during several hours of Kingmaker and then calculated probabilities. They were as a D20 should produce. Actually, you can do it yourself, but you need a sample that is large enough.
It's just frustration, which can easily happen, especially in tb games where keeping track of every roll is natural and doesn't require attention. When I took on the Sycamore wisp in my current playthrough, I had 3 critical misses in a row after casting true strike. I'm too old for rage quitting now, but it was damn close.

Also, after playing in tb a lot, I have to say game has bugs that I definitely never saw before the big update. From the top of my head:

1. Perception penalty from bad weather often persists, even after a rest. Reloading helps.
2. When you rest directly from the world map, zoomed out party models often appear over the cloth map. Goofy visual bug.
3. Your capital can disappear from the map in kingdom mode, so you cannot enter it and build. Have to restart the game to fix this. Most irritating new bug by far.
4. When you level up, no sound plays and no "golden plus" appears on the portrait. Could still level up from the char sheet. Happened only once, was ok on other level ups.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Reading the latest patch notes - didn't know that Confusion, up until this point, did nothing to the enemies.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
My main takeaway is that Unfair is just unfun. It's obviously doable and to a certain extent you can even outpace the difficulty at around the time you have to deal with the Cyclops arc, but it's generally simply not worth it. I get it, I'm a glutton for punishment too. I like beating the game at its hardest, but here that equates to a reload fest with little tactical input. Sure, you need to find an optimal strategy to deal with an encounter, but once you do that its usually still not enough without the help of the dice, specially early on. Making a full party of muchkined custom characters might ease the early pain a bit, but I never like doing that in these games.
I don't agree that it is unfun, but it is definitely not as fun as the difficulty 1 step below. I like to be punished for being silly as much as the next person, but most of the game has this semi-sadistic game design anyway, so...

Nothing after lvl four is even semi-sadistic and they cut out most of the stuff before that.

I’m to the point where I’m coasting now on Unfair without reloads but admittedly it took a long time to get there and requires a certain core party make-up.

Hard is the ideal difficulty for experienced players, with challenging for chapter one.

Yeah, I went down to hard yesterday and I am having a blast. Gone is all the reloading, and battles are dangerous enough to stay challenging without feeling bullshit. I got to Olegs dying once in the throne room fight and once at Olegs, with my unfair cleric taken probably a dozen tries for either on unfair before. I could probably Ironman hard even, but I think Ironmanning a D20 based system is for the true masochists. There is just very little you can do against higher initiative roll > nat20 > doubled damage on an archer in the very early game.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Too much trash combat in this game.
Just can't stand prolonged dungeons with 80% uninteresting combat.
Had to take long breaks in between.
Why do they have to do it this way?

Because a big part of the challenge is resource management. If you’re blowing all your resources on each fight (or especially if you’re having to reload a lot) it’s going to feel like a huge slog, but that’s not how the game is designed to be played.

Part of the challenge/fun is improving to the point where many fights are routine and the tools are there to do so on any difficulty. Part of that improvement is also recognizing which fights you need to do right away and which can be left until later.

If you’re True Striking the Sycamore Wisp you’re kind of missing the joke.

Sobchak

Scholar
Patron
So if I didn't played this game yet using the RtwP, is it better to go with the turn-based mode ?

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Anyone else game is bugged with clouds after new patch?

How to rollback patch?

Yeah, the map does look a little different after the patch.

kph6NlO.jpg

And they fixed it:

Update 2.1.3b – September 16, 2020

Please be aware of plot spoilers in the description below!

• The Fog of War failed to clear correctly on the global map. Resolution: fixed.
  • Sometimes it was impossible to complete a character’s respec. Resolution: fixed.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
How do creating a TB mode based on a mod with other bugfixes patches actually creates another new, game-breaking, bug that is seemingly unrelated to everything else (World Map) is anybody guesses.

InD_ImaginE The map bug wasn't related to TB mod. It was a change they made explicitly to the fog to improve memory.

Desiderius I'm glad they fixed confusion. It's one of my favorite spells. It was definitely broken for me.

Thus far on my second play through, the righteous purge of the untamed wilderness continues with alacrity. My new kingdom needs lebensraum. Shrike Hills, Outskirts, Kamelands, North Narlmarches, South Narlmarches, and half of the Dire Narlmarches have been made ready for civilization. I'm barely a few weeks into Troll Trouble. I'll probably cleanse Silverlake region next before going to Trobold. I'll save the last few areas of the Dire Narlmarches for after, I think. Right now they are just slightly beyond my comfort zone. Same goes for Crag Linorn. While I did tax its stash, I have yet to evict it.

While I know my meta-knowledge on my second play-through is a major part of how smoothly this run is going, going with a more melee focused party really makes the difference. My first go was with a deliberately motley and fiddly party of late bloomers. Lots of casters and caster equivalents. Consumable use was a necessarily integral part of my strategy for Chapters 1 & 2. Now they pile high in my inventory. Things were still rather easy by the time I got to Trobold on my first run, but I will have cleared more and gotten to Trobold in probably 1/3 of the time. Full BAB martial classes are as significantly better in Kingmaker as Mages were in the Baldur's Gate series.

Riel

Arcane
YEs one can only hope War of the Righteous gets better planning and better code because Kingmaker's unending bugfixing-bugintroducing cycle gets annoying.

Desiderius

Patron
The bug-fixing was slow but almost sure, the bug-introducing was only from consolization.

Tim the Bore

Scholar
Too much trash combat in this game.
Just can't stand prolonged dungeons with 80% uninteresting combat.
Had to take long breaks in between.
Why do they have to do it this way?

Because a big part of the challenge is resource management. If you’re blowing all your resources on each fight (or especially if you’re having to reload a lot) it’s going to feel like a huge slog, but that’s not how the game is designed to be played.

Part of the challenge/fun is improving to the point where many fights are routine and the tools are there to do so on any difficulty. Part of that improvement is also recognizing which fights you need to do right away and which can be left until later.

If you’re True Striking the Sycamore Wisp you’re kind of missing the joke.

You are correct, but the truth is that after chapter 3 it's basically impossible to run out of resources. And at some point there is just too much trash mobs to really enjoy it. In later parts of the game I'd sometimes simply start a fight and then walk away to do something else, come back and see that I won - without any input whatsoever. Repeat that again and again and it's starts to be boring. It would be better to have less enemies, but make the remaining ones harder. it would force you to use resources more often, while also making the game more interesting overall. As of now they have this interesiting combat system, but aren't using it to its full potential.

How do creating a TB mode based on a mod with other bugfixes patches actually creates another new, game-breaking, bug that is seemingly unrelated to everything else (World Map) is anybody guesses.

Yeah, I want to know that too. Anyone here have any idea?

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
too much trash mobs to really enjoy it.
There are no trash mobs on Unfair. On Hard I considered "trash mobs" as a respite. On Challenging - yes, some fights could be too easy, but there is flip side to it: underestimate enemies for too long, and you will have party wipe out of the blue.

Desiderius

Patron
There’s a lot less to the areas in Tors and Dunsward and even Glenebon or Pitax compared to the areas in Ch 1-3, and all the interesting encounters seem to be frontloaded. I guess if you’re mailing in fights you can just up the difficulty.

I find some of the dungeons can get repetitive as well.

Desiderius

Patron
I’ve finally gotten to the point now that I put Ekun back in to fight some of his favored enemies in pursuit of Amiri and Tristian that almost all the mobs are trash mobs now even on Unfair.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
About Unfair or Hard, there are some creatures that can baleful polymorph your characters. I remember it was very hard to remove this condition even on Normal, I believe on Unfair it is impossible to remove the BP even with a level 20 cleric, being casted at a much higher DC. The only solution would be to kill and resurrect the affected party member, but if it is your MC, it's either game over or play as a dog for the rest of the game.

Delterius

Arcane
Ekundayo is like Maia in Deadfire. I try to bring him along when it makes sense to the story, but his machine gun skills devalue what others bring into the fray (unless they are buffing Ekun).

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
InD_ImaginE The map bug wasn't related to TB mod. It was a change they made explicitly to the fog to improve memory.

Desiderius I'm glad they fixed confusion. It's one of my favorite spells. It was definitely broken for me.

Thus far on my second play through, the righteous purge of the untamed wilderness continues with alacrity. My new kingdom needs lebensraum. Shrike Hills, Outskirts, Kamelands, North Narlmarches, South Narlmarches, and half of the Dire Narlmarches have been made ready for civilization. I'm barely a few weeks into Troll Trouble. I'll probably cleanse Silverlake region next before going to Trobold. I'll save the last few areas of the Dire Narlmarches for after, I think. Right now they are just slightly beyond my comfort zone. Same goes for Crag Linorn. While I did tax its stash, I have yet to evict it.

While I know my meta-knowledge on my second play-through is a major part of how smoothly this run is going, going with a more melee focused party really makes the difference. My first go was with a deliberately motley and fiddly party of late bloomers. Lots of casters and caster equivalents. Consumable use was a necessarily integral part of my strategy for Chapters 1 & 2. Now they pile high in my inventory. Things were still rather easy by the time I got to Trobold on my first run, but I will have cleared more and gotten to Trobold in probably 1/3 of the time. Full BAB martial classes are as significantly better in Kingmaker as Mages were in the Baldur's Gate series.

Mages are good in Varnhold DLC where you never care about resting or time it takes.

In this game you can clearly big dungeon in like 2 rests (or 1 if you try) with fighting classes, but for mages 1) you need a lot of rest 2) after first 8-hour rest next is 24 hour (!) 3) low STR means you cant take a lot of rations (you shouldnt hunt for rations at all in this game, use camping supplies).

I do next run now with physical dps party and with those 10 min+ buffs you can clearly a lot of encounters non-stop, just Haste per like 2 encounters and you are ok.

But for mages it is much worse, especially forced 24 hour rests.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
In later parts of the game I'd sometimes simply start a fight and then walk away to do something else, come back and see that I won - without any input whatsoever.

Increase difficulty. 100% sure you cant do this on highest difficulty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom