Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

After spending an inordinate amount of money on a PC upgrade and looking at upwards of 1k USD for a new videocard, these consoles sound like a much better proposition. I probably should have gone with a PS5 + OLED display instead of splurging a ton of cash on a PC upgrade to play popamole anyway.

I could have retained my old 3570k + 1070 to play monocled games for a long time still. Feels like shit to 'waste' money but I hadn't upgraded my processor in 7 years and since I've been building and upgrading my computers for 25 years it was grating on me.

If you just upgraded everything else then you can slap a 3070 in there and beat console performance significantly for the same price, so I'm not sure I understand this post.
How is it "for the same price" if I wrote that I have just spent a shitload of money upgrading everything else? If the new consoles cost 500 bucks, that's the price of a 3070 alone. I've spent 1k on new cpu/mobo/ram/psu/nvme.

If it wasn't clear, I meant that I should have perhaps kept my aging rig for awhile longer and invested that 1.5k+ in a top of the line new OLED and one of the new consoles, with some change to spare.

JDR13

Arcane
What's the current ETA for the PS5? I know the new Xbox is scheduled for November. Is the PS5 supposed to be around that time too?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
How is it "for the same price" if I wrote that I have just spent a shitload of money upgrading everything else? If the new consoles cost 500 bucks, that's the price of a 3070 alone. I've spent 1k on new cpu/mobo/ram/psu/nvme.

If it wasn't clear, I meant that I should have perhaps kept my aging rig for awhile longer and invested that 1.5k+ in a top of the line new OLED and one of the new consoles, with some change to spare.

Yeah, I thought you meant "I just spent all this money and it's a waste because I'm going to get an Xbox Series X for $500," which wouldn't make sense. I didn't get that you meant you regret building the PC.

I find that a hard thing to respond to because as a PC gamer I would never consider "going console" and playing shooters with a pad or having limited options and back catalogs and whatnot, so I just can't relate to the idea of switching instead of upgrading. However I will say... if you just built it, slapping a 3070 in there will probably last you many years. The whole generation probably if you stick to 1440p. You'll also have much more flexibility to choose the framerate/graphics mix that's best for you, ray tracing will likely look and perform significantly better and of course you'll have the control and tweaking options PC gamers expect. You also won't have to pay for multiplayer, which adds significant cost to the console price over time.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I own both PS and Xbox and I dont play shooters with gamepad. Thats something I could never get used to.

You can still be a PC gamer and own a console.
I dont look for something that can replace the PC but more as an extra device that I can game at.

For me, One X was a decent upgrade for my 4k TV, both for 4k gaming and watching movies in 4k. You do get ultra HD Blu-Ray drive with it. For 350 euros it was an amazing purchase. I did own OG Xbox and 360.

PS 4 i got cause i traded my old xbone for it as a bonus to sit in bedroom. Its a piece of shit compared to the X but does its job.

Pegultagol

Erudite
Looking at the PS5 showcase...it seems that Sony is trying to push the diskless PS5 more as it is the featured version on the title.

EDIT: eh...maybe not, it's kinda obscured in closer look

Last edited:

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh man, they losing 100 bucks atleast per unit.
Couldve easily priced both 100 more and nothing would change.

$400 for digital is tempting as fuck.
Might get it next year on a black friday sale or something.

The Decline

Arcane
Oh man, they losing 100 bucks atleast per unit.
Couldve easily priced both 100 more and nothing would change.

$400 for digital is tempting as fuck.
Might get it next year on a black friday sale or something.

Or wait a few years and get a cheap refurbished unit, assuming there are enough exclusives to justify buying one.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Series s is dead before it even was a thing. Sony aggressively pricing the digital ps5.

Also, FF exclusivity, demon souls looking absolutely gorgeous and god of war blowing it out of the park.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Good for gamers that Sony are being aggressive and not counting on their current market dominance to carry them. I wouldn't say Xbox is fucked now though, as GamePass and $300 is still tempting for Madden types I bet, but Sony reduced the damage by a good bit. They still need to prepare for a subscription and multi-device future though, IMO.

Demon's Souls is apparently coming to PC? That's cool. Horizon 2 apparently coming to PS4? That's interesting.

You can still be a PC gamer and own a console.
I dont look for something that can replace the PC but more as an extra device that I can game at.

Of course. I'm not trying to come into the next-gen console thread and shit all over consoles. There's tons of reasons to own one. None of them really apply to me because of my setup and genre interests, but there's tons of reasons. My back and forth with those guys is all about the idea of ditching a gaming PC to get a Series X instead, and why I think that's silly.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Urge to pay five hundred bucks for a good souls game again rising.
2020-09-16-22-54-56.jpg
Also Available on PC.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
With those being on PC and Horizon and Spider-Man MM being confirmed for PS4, what are the actual next-gen console exclusive games we know about? I mean... are there any? I'm struggling to think of one.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
With those being on PC and Horizon and Spider-Man MM being confirmed for PS4, what are the actual next-gen console exclusive games we know about? I mean... are there any? I'm struggling to think of one.
Probably God of War, teased at the very end.

Tehdagah

Arcane
I wonder if console exclusives like FF16 are result of developers refusing to make multiplatform games on the Series S

Bundling all the PS4 "classics" with the psplus subscription seems like a strong proposition for non-playstation gamers.

The DeS "timed console exclusive/also on pc" message just looks like someone pasted the wrong thing on the image.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom