Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil Village - now featuring giant vampire MILFs

Kainan

Learned
I suppose you dont have some... original ideas for games? No? Well, gimme some villages and castles then.

Kitchen Utensil

It's not good, and it isn't Resident Evil. Linear corridors, loot drops, a vendor, the shoulder cam, arena fights, no atmosphere whatsoever. It's complete shit.

Evil Within is also Mikami, and those are utter shit as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
No it really is pretty good.

Solid gameplay, satisfying gunplay, good enemy design, well exceuted inventory managment, fun levels + exploration, an engaging difficulty, neat atmosphere and a really, really nice pacing.
Overall it's just a damn great game.

And it is Resident Evil. Again it's was made by Shinji Mikami. You know the guy that created the series.

Last edited:

Kitchen Utensil

A huge percentage of creative people lose it sooner or later, Mikami lost it sooner.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
RE7 had so much potential but they bungled the second half of the game.

Here, in theory, every ingredient that I like about horror falls into place. First-Person, the impressive RE Engine, dungeons, a castle, Eastern Euros and Werewolves... I mean, Capcom would have to be extremely thick to screw this up. But so far that trailer hasn't done it for me.

Not that these cinematic trailers ever tell anything about how actual game is, they're pretty much always crap aimed at impressing the easily impressed. If game has decent level design and focuses on exploration and resource management instead of awesum epicz set pieces then it should be decent.

Raskens

Learned
Patron

Solid gameplay, satisfying gunplay, good enemy design, well exceuted inventory managment, fun levels, good exploration, an engaging difficulty, neat atmosphere and a really, really nice pacing.

And it is Resident Evil. Again it's was made by Shinji Mikami. You know the guy that created the series.

Good exploration? The game barely has any exploration at all.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
New trailer doesn't really "pop", but looking at it and thinking about what it implies about the game - great atmosphere, spooky and slow ... I feel encouraged.

Drakortha

Liturgist

Solid gameplay, satisfying gunplay, good enemy design, well exceuted inventory managment, fun levels, good exploration, an engaging difficulty, neat atmosphere and a really, really nice pacing.

I'm sorry, but RE4 was and always will be SHIT and was the beginning of decline for the series.

(Is this series even still about zombies and Umbrella? why are there magical witches and shit?)

gotta reach that edgy emo twilight crowd. same reason they made Leon into an emo faggot.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I'm sorry, but RE4 was and always will be SHIT and was the beginning of decline for the series.

XGThx8tS.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Bouncing off RE4 multiple times is one of my great videogame shames. Well, it would be if I felt shame over such things, which I don't, but it's where I clash with the mainstream the most I guess. I really like 1-3 for their cheesy stories and puzzle/exploration gameplay, and 7 looks cool because I love first-person exploration, but the third-person shooter ones just don't feel good to play for me. I haven't tried 2 Remake yet though, which I hear is better, but since I didn't like 4...

Kitchen Utensil

Remake 2 is the only good one of the OTS-cam REs.
Worse than the original and all fixed cam angle REs, but still good.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh no, a Resident Evil game that has unrealistic systems? Somebody better call the President.

Coming up next:
"Mario shouldn't be able to jump that high without getting tired!! And where does the hammer go? It only last for 9 seconds, not a good hammer! :argh:"

Adon

Arcane
RE4 is a great game! But I would never group it with classic RE (0-3, CV) and it doesn't take a genius to figure out how fundamentally different 4 is from those games.

Farmers that drop ammo upon death in a survival horror series makes so much sense only a genius could understand.

RE4 is not a survival horror game. Fine if you don't like it for that reason but that doesn't mean it's a bad game on its own. QTEs are the shitty thing in it, not ammo drops.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Farmers that drop ammo upon death in a survival horror series makes so much sense only a genius could understand.

But creatures that can bisect a grown man such as lickers, but are unable to go trough a 3cm wooden door is not only totally believable but is also a great mechanic for a survival horror game :lol:

Tension in the RE games came more from game mechanics and resource management rather than worldbuilding and atmosphere
It doesn't matter if the loot drops look stupid what matters is what it adds to the gameplay, and in RE4 case it enhances the enemy encounters as the player needs to put himself in a risky position get those resources rather than just running circles around them

Last edited:

Drakortha

Liturgist
I bring you all this historic quote

RAHce2z.png

Words to live by.

RE4 is not a survival horror game. Fine if you don't like it for that reason but that doesn't mean it's a bad game on its own. QTEs are the shitty thing in it, not ammo drops.

The ammo drops are shit and make it a bad Resident Evil game because it turns the entire experience into a popamole.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom