Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
One thing Im wondering is their back compat with ps plus collection thing.
Will those games get updated with better res and frames or is it gonna be same 1080/30 shit like on ps4?

80 euros per game is brutal. Alot of ppl are gonna be put off by that. Myself included. 80. Wow. Gamepass got even better looking now.

Will those games get updated with better res and frames or is it gonna be same 1080/30 shit like on ps4?
I'd assume the ones with dynamic resolution and 30+ variable framerate modes would take advantage of the extra horsepower to run and look better (the ones that were made with or patched for ps4pro).

Bloodborne should still suffer from a poorly paced 30fps, 1080p and lots of aliasing.

Rev

Arcane
Some are reporting Demon's Souls being on PC as well was a typo. :lol:
Was it?

:negative:
They're just saying this because of the fanboys' reactions, they're trying to get them happy again but no way that was just a typo. It's Sony's most important conference, they probably rewatched the video presentation many, many times, if that was a mistake they would've fixed it.
They'll probably announce it later on, right now they're focusing on not getting people to ask "but if it's all on pc, what's the point of buying a ps5?".

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm likely waiting a year or two. Games are more pricey than I like. Currently, the only reason to get a PS5 (for me) is my huge PS4 backlog and PS+ subscription.

Demon's Souls, Sackboy and another title or two interest me, but none of them are actually exclusive. I'm not upgrading my PC for another few years, so I might end up buying one anyway. We'll see.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Demon's Souls, Sackboy and another title or two interest me, but none of them are actually exclusive. I'm not upgrading my PC for another few years, so I might end up buying one anyway. We'll see.

There's honestly not even much on the PC front to upgrade for in the next year or so. It would be nice to run Cyberpunk at high settings of course, but given games like that and Watchdogs Legion have Xbox One S versions I'm sure any decent gaming PC today could play them. Next year's announced stuff doesn't seem performance heavy yet... Deathloop, Hitman 3, etc. I might be an asshole and get a 3070 because I can afford it if I try, but despite new consoles coming out that are relatively powerful there's nothing really screaming "I have to upgrade!!!" IMO.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
oYQRZFt.jpg

Horizon: Forbidden West is also confirmed for PS4.

DemonKing

Arcane
Sheepled up and put down a preorder for PS5 with Sony and Amazon (hopefully one will come through - if both do I'll just scalp the other one). Preorders basically sold out all across OZ. Hopefully it's quieter than the jet engine on my PS4 Pro.

Probably will get Spiderman and Demon's Souls at launch.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
From a money standpoint its better to put PS5 on hold a year or two so prices come down a notch for their blockbuster titles and remasters.
I wanna play Ghost of Tsushima but aint gonna pay 60 euros to play it next to a helicopter right now.

Xbox got way better value and 100+ of enhanced titles at launch. PS got enhanced Spiderman that they want to charge you extra for.

deuxhero

Arcane
Some are reporting Demon's Souls being on PC as well was a typo. :lol:
Was it?

:negative:
They're just saying this because of the fanboys' reactions, they're trying to get them happy again but no way that was just a typo. It's Sony's most important conference, they probably rewatched the video presentation many, many times, if that was a mistake they would've fixed it.
They'll probably announce it later on, right now they're focusing on not getting people to ask "but if it's all on pc, what's the point of buying a ps5?".

On the other hand, diversity hires are just that incompetent.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Don't forget they'll also charge the same price for digital versions while saving on all the logistical stuff that accompanies physical copies. It's without a doubt that even a high end PC will pay itself off relatively quickly compared to seemingly lower upfront cost of consoles.

Last edited:

Pegultagol

Erudite
Kinda surprised that the difference between disc and digital is $100, Microsoft at least tried to increase the gap between product SKUs so as not to make the disc version look kinda redundant. Looks like Sony really is pushing for Digital for that extra slice of the game sales pie from their PS store and may have just tipped the point onto slippery slope toward digital in game distribution. The increase in MSRP for games also might funnel gamers seeking game pass type deals and get truly locked into respective ecosystem while not subscribing to the idea of owning anything anymore. I dunno how to call it, but it is getting a little scary for one who still pops in his disc in his PC from time to time to play games.

The best bet for the PC gamers is to get a Ti-version of 3070 with more VRAM than 8gb. The problem is GPU in general might be in very limited numbers seeing how the 3080 looks like a paper launch at least in this market. Curious to see how the next offering from AMD might stack up.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The reception to the sony first party game price hike has been generally bad across-the-board, especially amongst it's european, canadian and australian player bases.

80€, 100$ CAN and 120$ AUS for a game is really too much.

Gerrard

Arcane
I love how even with the gold plated version that is 7999£, the disc version is still 100£ more expensive. :lol:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Kinda surprised that the difference between disc and digital is $100, Microsoft at least tried to increase the gap between product SKUs so as not to make the disc version look kinda redundant. Looks like Sony really is pushing for Digital for that extra slice of the game sales pie from their PS store and may have just tipped the point onto slippery slope toward digital in game distribution. The increase in MSRP for games also might funnel gamers seeking game pass type deals and get truly locked into respective ecosystem while not subscribing to the idea of owning anything anymore. I dunno how to call it, but it is getting a little scary for one who still pops in his disc in his PC from time to time to play games.

The best bet for the PC gamers is to get a Ti-version of 3070 with more VRAM than 8gb. The problem is GPU in general might be in very limited numbers seeing how the 3080 looks like a paper launch at least in this market. Curious to see how the next offering from AMD might stack up.

3070 will be for 1440p, so I think the VRAM is fine. I could be wrong though. 3080 definitely should have had more.

As for Sony and discs, I'm surprised it's taken consoles this long to really press the issue. Same for Nintendo and that Mario collection. PC quickly went pretty much digital only a decade ago, and many popular console games are download only already (or require massive patches to work). Obviously consumers will accept it if you don't offer them a choice. I guess they've been sliding the dildo in slowly, but they could have gotten away with ramming it in faster IMO.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
3070 will be for 1440p, so I think the VRAM is fine. I could be wrong though. 3080 definitely should have had more.

As for Sony and discs, I'm surprised it's taken consoles this long to really press the issue. Same for Nintendo and that Mario collection. PC quickly went pretty much digital only a decade ago, and many popular console games are download only already (or require massive patches to work). Obviously consumers will accept it if you don't offer them a choice. I guess they've been sliding the dildo in slowly, but they could have gotten away with ramming it in faster IMO.

Stop saying this mate. This '1080p, 1440p, 4k card' segmenting bullshit is straight out of nvidias marketing department.

It's a £460 card in 2020. 4k should be what it's benched at with 1080 and 1440p considered legacy.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Stop saying this mate. This '1080p, 1440p, 4k card' segmenting bullshit is straight out of nvidias marketing department.

It's a £460 card in 2020. 4k should be what it's benched at with 1080 and 1440p considered legacy.

I mean, I understand the point you're making on price relative to 1000 series and such. I just think that's more an argument for nVidia's pricing being shit and AMD not offering competition though, rather than the fact that's what these cards are aimed at. AMD marketed the 5700xt as the 1440p card as well. The real issue is 1440p cards cost $500 now, not labeling them 1440p cards, IMO.

Codex Year of the Donut
The reception to the sony first party game price hike has been generally bad across-the-board, especially amongst it's european, canadian and australian player bases.

80€, 100$ CAN and 120$ AUS for a game is really too much.
consider it a smug tax

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom