Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

I wouldn't look to Harry Potter for coherent magic. JK Rowling has stated that magic is used to service the plot or achieve her ends. Rules and framework don't exist, and it's only as consistent as necessary to avoid ruining the immersion of the reader.

I'm a bit curious as to how deep the mechanics go, and what kinds of things they'll let players do. HP magic is about as unbalanced as it comes, so there is potential for a lot of fun. The biggest problem I forsee, is that this game will be created for children despite the core fan base being in their late 20s and early 30s.

yeah look if this is as good as van helsing ill pick it up and play the shit out of it

victorian setting really rustles my jimmies so theres that too

hope theres some dual classing or dedicated melee and guns; not just wand waving

the JK rowling drama is the icing on the cake tbh bring it on

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Watched the presentation via the Giant Bomb feed and Jesus their fucking whining about Rowling when this trailer came on. You can't even fucking question the party line anymore without people acting like you're a fucking Nazi.

RepHope

Savant
I wouldn't look to Harry Potter for coherent magic. JK Rowling has stated that magic is used to service the plot or achieve her ends. Rules and framework don't exist, and it's only as consistent as necessary to avoid ruining the immersion of the reader.

I'm a bit curious as to how deep the mechanics go, and what kinds of things they'll let players do. HP magic is about as unbalanced as it comes, so there is potential for a lot of fun. The biggest problem I forsee, is that this game will be created for children despite the core fan base being in their late 20s and early 30s.
Nah the Potter generation has grown up now, I expect this game to be more adult, similar to how the books and movies gradually got darker (I’d say “more mature” but that would be a fucking lie). It will get the “T” rating at the minimum.

Bony Hands

Literate
They're trying to distance the game from Rowling by saying she had no involvement in the game. They don't want this game to fail just because she upset Twitter.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

She could've claimed that until the fourth novel, where it's explicitly stated that ANYONE can use the three forbidden spells. There's nothing special about them. They aren't this horrible power possessed only by people of pure evil, as they should be in a fable. Instead, you can just pick it up in your spare time.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The game feels too late (and also misframed). The technology for such a game was around 15 years ago (when Bully was released). The franchise no longer seems as important, and the preview seems to emphasize the off-campus adventuring more than the intramural aspects, even though the intramural aspects really were the heart of the franchise.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

She could've claimed that until the fourth novel, where it's explicitly stated that ANYONE can use the three forbidden spells. There's nothing special about them. They aren't this horrible power possessed only by people of pure evil, as they should be in a fable. Instead, you can just pick it up in your spare time.

I mean, as long as you have a wand and a way to say the words, yeah basically everyone can kill someone, mindcontrol or kinky-torture stuff.

And they give wands to kids.

Suck it gunlovers, I got my atrocity stick right here and there ain't even any laws regulating it.

The game feels too late (and also misframed). The technology for such a game was around 15 years ago (when Bully was released). The franchise no longer seems as important, and the preview seems to emphasize the off-campus adventuring more than the intramural aspects, even though the intramural aspects really were the heart of the franchise.

All of this is accurate but it's still going to sell like crack-covered hotcakes. It might even sell more if it's actually good.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

The early games were kinda cool, I've played a lot through the first 3.

Not sure who even cares about Potter nowadays.

31848723.jpg

Avarize

Magister
Britain was a colonial empire so you would think there would be wizards from the colonies and holdings there, from both Africa and the Orient, makes sense for wizards from all the four corners of the world to gather there. Not like in this game however, because each would bring a different body of teachings and ways, not pseudo-British children, because those would not just be Anglo-Saxon only with maybe some Jews also but also upper class. That kind of thing would be a secret society and order in a normal high-status private school and even if that would make a good story this is not that.
Exactly, maybe you could have colored people in the school but they would be black Africans, not mixed race Britts.
Reading HPMOR just now, recommending to anyone who missed it.
Utter garbage. I recommend staying away.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I didn't play the games -- I was too old for HP (though I read them because the judge I worked for was a fanatic devotee), so I skipped the games, and by the time my kids were interested, the games were too dated. But it seems to me that what's lacking in the older games is the capacity to make your own character. What every kid who reads HP wants is to be in Hogwarts himself or herself. Playing Harry's story gets you partway there, but only partway. The new game seems like it does it, but too late.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
I didn't play the games -- I was too old for HP (though I read them because the judge I worked for was a fanatic devotee), so I skipped the games, and by the time my kids were interested, the games were too dated. But it seems to me that what's lacking in the older games is the capacity to make your own character. What every kid who reads HP wants is to be in Hogwarts himself or herself. Playing Harry's story gets you partway there, but only partway. The new game seems like it does it, but too late.

As long as I can use my atrocity stick on a Slytherine cutie, I'm good.

ChildInTime

Learned

Yes, we need more Slytherin girls.

pqkOc4H.jpg

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

Yes, we need more Slytherin girls.

pqkOc4H.jpg

She looks like Luna Lovegood, and she was from Ravenclaw :obviously:

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I am indifferent about the game, but I always enjoy the uproar J.K "Emptied my nine at welfare line" Rowling causes in certain circles.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected

Reading the synopsis, it will be better if the game is focusing the magical school life aspect more rather than off school exploration. This is not Skyrim where you battle monster, rogue wizards (in this case dark wizard), and demon on daily basis.

Maintaining Grades, relationship, Faction (or House) Influence, joining house quiddich team, etc. Also if there main conflict and antagonist keep it internalized for example like Gary in Bully.

Speaking of Bully, it will be interesting on how they handle it. Will each school NPC is unique rather random generated or it will be like Bully.

Parsifarka

Arcane
The main reason to play Harry Potter games is to roam Hogwarts from the highest tower to the deepest dungeon looking for all those secret rooms full of colorful beans and collecting wizard cards while vibing to the sweetest ambient melodies. If they are true to that I'll be interested.

ChildInTime

Learned
The main reason to play Harry Potter games is to roam Hogwarts from the highest tower to the deepest dungeon looking for all those secret rooms full of colorful beans and collecting wizard cards while vibing to the sweetest ambient melodies. If they are true to that I'll be interested.
Music sure was nice.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I hope that's how people refer me to me someday.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom