Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crysis Remastered

Kainan

Learned
The AI is braindead. If by good you mean it can aimbot you from miles away once they spot you, then that's not good AI. On the other hand they have no clue how to react if you are the one doing the sniping, and will just stand in place or run to you in a straight line. So the game is about positioning yourself just so that you can sit there and mow down the enemies. Crysis AI isn't brilliant either but at least the enemies could take cover and flank to where it encouraged the player to move around.
Actually only snipers on towers can see and hit you from afar, which makes sense?
And when you snipe they actually do take cover, which even the press praised at the time. They even lie down.

Crysis AI cant even lie down. I cant be 100% sure as i did saw it once but it looked like a glitch. FC AI lies down in tall grass which is the most effective tactic i saw in a game. THere is even a mod that makes them do it more often. Of course Crysis doesnt even have grass tall enough for that to be effective which is lame.

As for flanking they do it in FC and more importantly they never group together, like they have that coded. What you must have seen in Crysis is when two soldiers collide and fall down which is just retarded and would be better if they were coded like in FC to never be closer than a couple of meters to one another.

Level design? No. People seem to forget how much time you spend in boring interiors, peeking around corners to shoot enemies before they can snap around and lock onto you. Or baiting them around a corner to shoot them. In the exterior environments it's mostly about just sniping enemies from far away before they can react. It's basically pop a mole, to where it encourages the player to do nothing but peak and abuse the dumb AI. The way the exterior locations in Crysis were set up encouraged the player to start from far away then close the distance etc, lots of moving around so combat felt pretty energetic. FC1 is combat is dull as shit.

Level design in FC supports both stealth and action with not just randomly sprinkled bushes but thoughtfully placed around. Crysis isnt bad but its worse as its stealth is just invisibility so there is no need to think about placement in a level.

FC has better implemented aim down that gradually zooms in and to the side, like in FEAR. Crysis has instant CoD style center zoom. Which is more popamole? To be fair Crysis at least has an option to turn off crosshair and on Delta difficulty its default.

The mutants look stupid and most of them are super easy to kill, running blindly towards you like canon fodder. But then you get the giant mutants who snipe you with rocket launchers, so again it's back to peeking and trying to shoot them before they are aware of you. The aliens in Crysis are dramatically different to the human enemies, so it forces you to change play-style instead of just being human enemies with a different skin.
They maybe look goofy but they have actual abilities ingame, like higher jumping and strength which combined with the environment can fuck you up in unexpected ways thus making them scary. There are several types of them and even invisible ones that can only be seen with heat vision.

Crysis has two types of aliens: the small flying squids and big ones, which is basically just one type the entire game. This is the most disappointing thing! They shoot some kind of pathetic rays that freeze you(?) which is supposed to be better than bullets but is just lame. Yes it would be goofy if they had grenade launchers like in FC but then they would pose some challenge at least.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Actually, Episode Two was the first Half-Life to have music fade-outs if it was still playing when the player was exiting the level rather than to have a sharp cut-off. There were also fade-outs dependent on when a combat sequence would end.
You're absolutely right! I just watched the first fight against the Hunters, I could have sworn the music just kept playing after they all died but I had apparently mixed it up with previous games.

Crysis AI cant even lie down. I cant be 100% sure as i did saw it once but it looked like a glitch.
When you shoot at them from a long enough distance that they can't fully pinpoint you, they do this weird 1 second prone animation before getting up again. The enemies are capable of crawling, their AI just won't let them do it in combat for more than a second for whatever reason.

Of course Crysis doesnt even have grass tall enough for that to be effective which is lame.
I thought about this recently, it is a bit lame. All this physicalized vegetation, but the grass is only ever ankle-high. I'd love to recreate the Velociraptor scene from The Lost World: Jurassic Park and eat some Korean food.

What you must have seen in Crysis is when two soldiers collide and fall down which is just retarded and would be better if they were coded like in FC to never be closer than a couple of meters to one another.
On the second level of Crysis, the level designer has accidentally made two patrols go in opposite directions in a very narrow stream. Sometimes two guys collide and fall down, and since the knee deep water is deep enough to submerge them fully, both immediately die. :lol:

Crysis AI works well in open areas, but gets increasingly worse in tight spaces and (god forbid) interiors.

Level design in FC supports both stealth and action with not just randomly sprinkled bushes but thoughtfully placed around. Crysis isnt bad but its worse as its stealth is just invisibility so there is no need to think about placement in a level.
Actually, you need safe places (like bushes) to hide in while recharging your energy between cloaked movements. Official levels usually have chokepoints that are hard to sneak past without being spotted, while user-created maps often accidentally put safe spaces everywhere, making ghosting trivial.

Crysis has two types of aliens: the small flying squids and big ones, which is basically just one type the entire game. This is the most disappointing thing! They shoot some kind of pathetic rays that freeze you(?) which is supposed to be better than bullets but is just lame. Yes it would be goofy if they had grenade launchers like in FC but then they would pose some challenge at least.
The aliens in Crysis, and the second half of the game in general, are pretty lame. Apart from the instakill lunge attack the small aliens are capable of, they aren't very strong and are actually easier to fight than the Koreans. A Korean helicopter will absolutely murder you if you're out in the open, while the big flying aliens can't even hit you as long as you keep moving.

SlamDunk

Arcane
https://twitter.com/Crysis/status/1294295242489966593

CR_WP_V13_8k.jpg

EDIT:

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I played the Mafia 2 remaster recently and it did the same thing with pumping up the color saturation. It's not like they couldn't have done that back then, I wonder what the drive is there. Lighting looks promising though, we'll see. The fact it's offering DLSS tells me it's going to be a demanding game (again).

passerby

Arcane
I wonder what the drive is there.

To make it look different for the sake of looking different, if the original was oversaturated, they'd desaturate it.

A hilarious example of this I saw on Observer redux trailer recently, they had before/after comparisons from like a dosen locations.
The ones that didint had much fog before, got a thic fog, while the ones with thic fog in the original had the fog toned down, or removed.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Wonder if this will be the fabled "definitely better than the original" remaster we've never had before.

Kainan

Learned
Never much liked Crysis water effects. Even some older games had better water.

Kainan

Learned
Why did they change the "sunrise" scene, now its almost noon time? They say themselves its the most famous scene and then they change it completely so that you cant see the actual sunrise.

Kainan

Learned
I dont know, it looks plasticky still. Risen 1 had better looking sea. Even though i dont think it had reflections.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Watching that video again at 4k on my monitor, it's amazing how some of the textures look worse. Over a decade later, and some look worse. That's the limited memory of the consoles for you I guess, but Christ...

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Why did they change the "sunrise" scene, now its almost noon time? They say themselves its the most famous scene and then they change it completely so that you cant see the actual sunrise.
He accidentally says "sunset scene" instead of sunrise, that should have been the only funny thing about that part.

FFS, there's even a cinematic vinjette saying FIRST LIGHT when it's bright daytime. How do you fuck that up?

Gerrard

Arcane
Watching that video again at 4k on my monitor, it's amazing how some of the textures look worse. Over a decade later, and some look worse. That's the limited memory of the consoles for you I guess, but Christ...
What's even more amazing is that more than a decade later people still think Crysis had somehow impressive textures for anything but the characters.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Why didn't they wait with this until the next-gen consoles are out? Then they could have done something more with the remaster
So they can sell you another remaster in 2025

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom