Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is 3DS dead?

Out of all post 2005 consoles, it's 3DS library that gave me most fun once it got emulated but with Switch success, it will fade away sooner or later. ...or is it dead already? For how long is Nintendo planning to support it? Are there any exciting releases for 2020 or even 2021?

flyingjohn

Arcane
It has been dead or a year already.There are no first party game announced for 2020 or 2021.
Maybe you will get a odd port or two sometimes.

ultimanecat

Arcane
I just bought a New 2DS XL for $100US at Wallyworld since they seem to be clearing them out. It’s still probably overpriced for the hardware that it is but the 3DS line has been smashed open firmware-wise to the point that any idiot who can follow directions can install CFW, and the “New“ line can reasonably emulate stuff from the 16-bit days and before while natively running GBA and DS stuff. Seems recently the PSX and N64 emulators have also gotten some attention and some games are at a playable state. Overall, though, it seems a bit behind the Vita and way behind bespoke Android stuff like the GPD XD on the portable emulation front, so I guess it’s still only worth it if you dig the native Nintendo handheld library.

But to answer your question, all signs are that Nintendo is focusing on the Switch. The Switch has its Lite version, retailers are clearing 3DS stock, and Nintendo recently said they are no longer offering bounties for potential jailbreaks and vulnerabilities of 3DS software. With that, they’re done fighting the pirates, which would seriously imply they’re not interested in commercially supporting it anymore either.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Its an incredible console with an extremely good lineup of exclusives. Its dead tho, no new games will ever come out.
E store is still functioning and has sales, still as all nintendo consoles its all quite expensive.
Very good console to crack and pirate with I have heard. You get all the advantages for a low price.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
It's the only console I never possessed, but bought games for.

That says a lot... Kind of...

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Time to Switch, bro. Hope Nintendo sticks with the portable/home console hybrid in future as well. The second console should be more like lite, but with the option to buy a home stand with some additional GPU based hardware so it can run games at 4k. That would be a winning combo.

Doktor Best

Arcane
The 3DS is awesome. It will take quite a while to get through its library (since you can also play DS games). I will wait on the switch until they finally release a version that's actually portable and that you can connect to your tv.

Time to Switch, bro.

It's ok console but most of its best 1st party games are just WiiU ports. It's funny that both 'failed' and 'successful' console have basically the same exclusive library.

Still waiting for truly killer app game and all I is Shin Megami Tense V (still no news about release date) and Project Re Fantasy (if it gets Switch port).

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Out of all post 2005 consoles, it's 3DS library that gave me most fun once it got emulated but with Switch success, it will fade away sooner or later. ...or is it dead already? For how long is Nintendo planning to support it? Are there any exciting releases for 2020 or even 2021?
AFAIK they flopped one of last year's releases (some mario rpg?) and cancelled all new development.

Last edited:

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
It's well worth it but on it's end.

I already bought multiple SD cards to store the games for the inevitable e-shops death as well. If you don't have it and grab it.

for the inevitable e-shops death

I don't see what's the point of digital collecting for consoles, e-stores will go down quickly and then your 'collection' that you 'own' as well.

Wii is dead and now WiiU and 3DS e-shops are being closed:

https://www.thegamer.com/3ds-wii-u-eshop-shutting-down-42-countries/

The already limited eShop serving Nintendo's Wii U and 3DS will be shutting down in 42 countries later this year.

The Nintendo Switch continues to enjoy massive popularity three years on from its original release. As is the case when any new console comes around, the ones that preceded it gradually fall away and become nothing more than another part of gaming history. That continues to happen to the Wii U and 3DS.

Nintendo will take another step in that process this year as it plans on closing down the Wii U and 3DS's eShops in 42 countries. The closure of what are already very limited eShops was announced via the customer support section of its site for the Americas. The closure will take place on July 31, 2020. After that, there will be a number of things 3DS and Wii U owners will be unable to do.

Any unredeemed codes will be worthless, and should players have been putting off any updates to games, they will need to download them before July 31. Every country in Central and South America, as well as the Caribbean, will be affected apart from Mexico and Brazil. A full list of the countries in which the affected eShops will be closing down can be found on Nintendo's website.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

Well, I just own some game digitally that never had a cartridge and stored them all on SD cards. It's not collecting them (even though I do so for specific consoles) but literal preservation of the game since at some point I wont be able to redownload them.

Maybe you missed what i wrote?

In the end the sole reason is for me having good games when we revert back to being savages in the not so far future. You can however buy Cartridges for the thing that are full games, if that is what your problem here is.

The Decline

Arcane
The heyday of 3DS piracy was a few years ago, install cfw, install freeshop, download free games directly from Nintendo's servers. That shit blew my mind when I found out about it.

q3vqux34teh51.png

Pfff, thankfully I bougth SJRedux last year, WTF is going on with Apocalypse prices? :/

They’re still making the 3DS/2DS XL apparently. I still see school kids packing them around, as well as the occasional PSP.

Ialda

Learned
The NDS still had a better library. Change my mind, Codex.

The heyday of 3DS piracy was a few years ago, install cfw, install freeshop, download free games directly from Nintendo's servers. That shit blew my mind when I found out about it.

I finally craked mine the day before the annoucement to be able to play Dai Gyakuten 1 patched. It was a pleasant surprise to see how smooth the process is in 2020 !

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Half of my library of games for the Nintendo 3DS are actually Nintendo DS games. For me, I don't have to argue about which system has the best library.

Gastrick

Cipher
3DS is amazing, you can jailbreak that sucker and have access to everything.
I jailbroke mine with homebrew but the only thing I could play was emulators. Later while messing around with it, trying to make it work, it bricked. I've got pirated games to work on several other consoles, but 3ds was the worst.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
3DS is amazing, you can jailbreak that sucker and have access to everything.
I jailbroke mine with homebrew but the only thing I could play was emulators. Later while messing around with it, trying to make it work, it bricked. I've got pirated games to work on several other consoles, but 3ds was the worst.
I'm sorry, but you're an absolute idiot if you somehow managed to brick your 3DS when there's so many easy to follow guides out there. For years you could pirate basically out of the box after hacking, only needing to use the default FBI app. Let's not get into the years of freeshop either. After many headaches with the PSP early in the day, and the absolute disaster that is PS3 hacking, 3DS hacking is soo fucking easy.

Gastrick

Cipher
I'm sorry, but you're an absolute idiot if you somehow managed to brick your 3DS when there's so many easy to follow guides out there. For years you could pirate basically out of the box after hacking, only needing to use the default FBI app. Let's not get into the years of freeshop either. After many headaches with the PSP early in the day, and the absolute disaster that is PS3 hacking, 3DS hacking is soo fucking easy.
PS3 and PSP were super easy, maybe it used to be different for 3ds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom