Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
Anyone got a some recommendations for a good, fantasy-themed, turned-based crpg?

Games I've played that meet the criteria:

Age of Decadence
Avadon
Avernum
Divinity: Original Sin I and II
Pathfinder: Kingmaker (turned-based mod)
Shadowrun
BRO

ULTIMA 5
GRIMOIRE

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS

FINISHED SURGE 2

COMPETENTLY DONE SCI FI DARK SOULS

COMBAT AND GEAR PROGRESSION ARE FUN

STORY IS SERIOUSLY BAREBONES

IMPLANTS AND MANAGING POWER SUPPLY ARE MECHANICS THAT ADD A LITTLE TWIST TO THE FORMULA

COMBAT BASED ALOT ON PARRY MECHANICS AND REMOVING LIMBS

MOST GEAR UPGRADES ARE FROM SEVERING APPROPRIATE BODYPART WHICH WILL GIVE YOU THE APPROPRIATE ARMOR OR WEAPON AND UPGRADE MATERIALS

CUTTING OFF LIMBS TAKES ENERGY THOUGH AND TO SIMPLIFY THINGS TAKES AWAY FROM YOUR POTENTIAL ABILITY TO HEAL

SOME IMPLANTS AFFECT GAME PLAY REMINDS ME OF NIER AUTOMATA WHERE LOCKING ON TO BODYPART AND DIRECTIONAL PARRYING INDICATORS ARE ABILITIES GAINED BY IMPLANTS

OVERALL DEFINITELY DONE ON A BUDGET BUT FUN ENOUGH

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My bro was on a visit. We watched a lot of Premier League, but more importantly, my hacked SNES Mini was used extensively. We beat both Pocky & Rocky 1 and 2, plus The Legend of the Mystical Ninja 1 and 2. Good times were had. I might play the third game on my own. We're looking into more co-op SNES games, but have beaten most of them.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
My bro was on a visit. We watched a lot of Premier League, but more importantly, my hacked SNES Mini was used extensively. We beat both Pocky & Rocky 1 and 2, plus The Legend of the Mystical Ninja 1 and 2. Good times were had. I might play the third game on my own. We're looking into more co-op SNES games, but have beaten most of them.
I recently played Goof Troop with my brother, it's loosely inspired by Zelda (yes, with Goofy).

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I recently played Goof Troop with my brother, it's loosely inspired by Zelda (yes, with Goofy).
We love Goof Troop. It's one of our best co-op experience. We replayed it a few years ago. My brother really, really likes it.

Silly Germans

Try Super Probotector, beating it feels pretty good.

Deleted member 7219

I completed Alien Isolation for the second time, this time on Nightmare difficulty with the Unpredictable Alien mod (first time was on Hard without the mod). I don't know if the Unpredictable Alien mod worked properly to be honest. Yes, there were times when the Alien jumped up into vents and didn't seem to come back, but if I stood up and walked around it would come back pretty quickly. I ended up moving almost everywhere while crouching.

There wasn't much difference between Hard and Nightmare other than the Aliens have much better hearing and sight and can see you from a much farther distance. They can also see you holding a molotov, noisemaker etc because the developers insisted on those devices having a light effect. Makes sense though.

Also I think you could fight back against the Working Joes if they grabbed you on Hard, even though they punch you with the force of a freight train. On Nightmare they just snap your neck or throw you to the ground and stamp on your skull. Also, shots from human enemies are one hit kills.

I'll say it again that the best things about this game are the atmosphere and art direction. This is how movie licensed games should be. One of the best things about the Alien and Aliens films were how they looked, which is faithfully replicated in this game. Great soundtrack too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yldr

Educated
hrV4KEW.jpg

Pandemonium 2 on PS1 (1997)

Sure it completely overshadows the first technically, with superb 3D visuals (how does the PS1 even run this?) and a myriad of new gameplay gimmicks, but the levels are too much of the "crazy clown fantasyland" variety and the platforming is now complex and heavy as to feel more like busywork. The beautiful verticality of the first with its splendid background art is nowhere to be found.

By all objective measures you would say it's better than the first, but to me it's a typical "better inferior sequel": improved in every way, but the charm is gone.

Last edited:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS STREETS OF RAGE 4

PERFECTLY COMPETENT BEATUMIP GAME

EASIER THAN MAME OR SNES SEGA ETC ONES FOR THE MOST PART WITH MODERN INOVITIONS SUCH AS DIFFICULTY LEVELS AND UNLOCKABLE CHARACTERS AND UNLIMITED CONTINUES FROM THE BEGINNING OF A LEVEL

I GOT IT ON FAGBOX GAMEPASS BUT EASILY WORTH FIVE DOLLARS

IVE PLAYED AND FINISHED TONS OF ARCADE BEATUMIPS WITH MY KIDS AND THIS ONE COMPARES WELL

AND IM SURE THERE IS SKILL AND CHALLENGE THERE BUT I JUST FUCK AROUND WITH IT MEDIUM DIFFICULTY MAKES IT A REASONABLE CHALLENGE PLAYING WITH TWO TEN YEAR OLD GIRLS

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've been doing a hardcore run in Torchlight 2 as an engineer, but I think i might bail on it because I've played the game to death at this point. Got about 3 hours into DA Origins but it was crashing every 20-30 minutes regardless of what I tried so I uninstalled that. Then I played a few hours of God Eater Resurrection and I don't think it's really for me.

ovn5yFF.jpg

I just installed EYE Divine Cybermancy after having it on the backlog for ages. It looks cool as fuck, I hope it grabs my attention

HansDampf

Arcane
I've given Factorio another try and beat the tutorial. That actually felt like an achievement.
rating_prosper.png

The problem I had before was, I approached it from the wrong angle and was worrying too much about how to distribute resources like iron plates in perfect ratios. But this doesn't seem to be necessary at all. As long as overall resource demands are met, transport belts are going to fill up and block the flow anyway. From that point on, resources are only drawn when stuff is getting produced. Easy. Then I went into sandbox mode to figure out how to arrange assembly machines and belts for green science pack production without devolving into chaos again, since that was giving me trouble as well. There is a lot to consider, like production times, how many science packs can be made simultaneously, how many assembly machines are needed. or how much iron plates are consumed per second. I feel prepared now. Already started a new game with default settings, and I will launch that rocket eventually.

Btw, for the most part the game keeps a level of "verisimilitude" with crafting recipes. I can see how automatic inserters require iron, gears, and electric circuits, or that electric poles need wood and copper cables. But then there are these ... "Science Packs" ... that look like health and mana potions and are needed for research. Again, I can kinda see how, for example, military research requires Military Science Packs that consist of various military items. It's just an odd design choice to have them look like potions. It's a higher level of abstraction compared to rest of the game.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Getting deep into Icewind Dale 2 again. Trying to play it I mean.

The last time I stopped at the goblin fortress.This time I'm almost at the end of Targos. So I'm like an hour behing my last approach.

It took me like 18 years to finish IWD1 and it was very good. It obviously had flaws, mainly getting much too easy later on, but it presented me with a very different approach to IE combat than BG2.
IWD2 seems like it's just as different. It promises great things, I'm sure it will dissapoint and suprise along the way. No technical glitches so far, this time.

What annoys me, and what kept me from playing this game, and the previous one for two decades, is that the opening vignate is not representetive of the core gameplay at all. In the second one it's even more glaring since it's longer and the difficulty it presents you with after is greater than anything in other IE games, on higher difficulties at least. It might level out later, but the party composition and feat selection gets tested hard after the tutorial, and it takes a lot to finish that tutorial.

I'll stop bitching and press on, I'm sure it's pretty good.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I've been doing a hardcore run in Torchlight 2 as an engineer, but I think i might bail on it because I've played the game to death at this point. Got about 3 hours into DA Origins but it was crashing every 20-30 minutes regardless of what I tried so I uninstalled that. Then I played a few hours of God Eater Resurrection and I don't think it's really for me.

ovn5yFF.jpg

I just installed EYE Divine Cybermancy after having it on the backlog for ages. It looks cool as fuck, I hope it grabs my attention

Sheesh! Why can't my senior operator look like that? Nice "business suit" miss......."

I've been spending time on the demo of
maxresdefault.jpg

I was a huge fan of Metal Gear and I recall when my bro and I spent our paper route money on this. It was a blast. Never had the MSX version nor either Metal Gear 2s." Tried them far later with emulators. This... is pretty cool.

i've been playing both the endless strategy games.
space 2 is perfectly fine with the latest expansion, sorry but your black warlord hero is a retard, first he sets the map and game rules to be as unenjoyable as possible and then complains the game is, surprise surprise, unenjoyable. fuck off. the hacking/espionage is always a pleasant addition to any 4x but its interface has several shortcomings, all of them reminiscencing of civ5's trade routes. ai feels a bit random and it's a shame pacifism is the be all end all of everything.
legend is so damn stylish it hurts, interface is almost flawless (but it could yet be improved with a couple shortcuts more), but tech tree is minimal, researching diplomacy options is a waste and ai is braindead: with a never tried before race, well into the game, while my main opponent was worth 700 points i was 7000.

flawed games, still miles better than civ6.

Beowulf

Arcane
I've been spending time on the demo of
maxresdefault.jpg

I was a huge fan of Metal Gear and I recall when my bro and I spent our paper route money on this. It was a blast. Never had the MSX version nor either Metal Gear 2s." Tried them far later with emulators. This... is pretty cool.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, quite good actually and the humour doesn't wear off that quickly.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I, for the fourth time, am trying to finish Divinity OS2. This time as a Solo Lone Walf Warrior on Classic with a +20% enemy strength mod.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Well, first I tried Ashes of the Singularity. It was generic boring shit.
Then I played Battlefleet Gothic. It was jank shit with upskippable cutscenes, shitty missions and ships that move like crap and just go around in circles doing nothing. It reminded me of Total War Empire's naval combat except worse.
I hope the sequel is better, because playing through it was a chore.

Going to try Mind Control Delete next.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
I am sad. My PS Vita memory card is on its last legs. I keep getting errors and games crash. I've treated the system so gently, it never, ever left the house. My 3DS works like a charm, as does the PSP. Hell, even my Game Boy still works. :(

Slimu

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I opened a beer, started Vaporum: Lockdown and the game crashed because of some Unity bug related to Win 7 :argh:. So I started playing Hades. I did a few runs and it seems fun, better than Dead Cells.

I have completed Darksiders Genesis and it's a fun game (a bit easy on normal, I had to switch to hard). The game plays like the first Darksiders, but only from a top-down perspective. Some people compared it to Diablo 3, but while I think it's a dumb combination, I would say it has more rewarding exploration. :4/5:

Another finished game is Fort Triumph the child of HoMM and XCOM. I enjoyed the combat and the focus it had on cover and it's destruction. I played on Classical difficulty and the story missions provided a good challenge (the rest were too easy). Exploration wasn't interesting, but some of the items found were very good, so it was worth for them. Overall, a short but interesting game, not good/not bad :3/5:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Tried playing Traemask the Fool: Outpost of Progress for HoMM 3, made by Timothy Duncan who has made many great maps.

But this time the story faggotry reaches unprecedented proportions. Every third step there is a whole short story of fan fiction. Unlike Heroes Chronicles you can't just skip it and not miss anything either, since it's a very detailed map with a very rich background and lots of things to keep track of.
But the sheer volume of fan fiction level writing is just too much for my delicate senses, so I had to quit this map, which is the first of a short campaign.

It's really astounding how one person can make maps better than professionals, and then the writing is so amateurish.
And the funny thing is that the map is inspired by a short story by Joseph Conrad! I think I'll read that story instead.

EDIT: Read the Joseph Conrad story "An Outpost of Progress" and the map has in common some names and an "outpost of progress" surrounded by jungle and savages.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
Playing the roguelike Brogue. Simple but solid, and still deadly, as a rl should be. Great artstyle for ASCII, enhances the feeling of crawling a subterranean space.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom