Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

Codex Year of the Donut
I wonder if Rowling can sue Kotaku for that, doesn't the UK have very strict libel laws?

Harthwain

Magister
She could've claimed that until the fourth novel, where it's explicitly stated that ANYONE can use the three forbidden spells. There's nothing special about them. They aren't this horrible power possessed only by people of pure evil, as they should be in a fable. Instead, you can just pick it up in your spare time.
Well, they are forbidden, so I don't expect you being able to use them. It will probably end up with you using regular disarm spell, just like Harry & Co. do in the books. Then again, they do state something about the possibility of "yielding to the temptation of more sinister magic", so who knows?

The game feels too late (and also misframed). The technology for such a game was around 15 years ago (when Bully was released). The franchise no longer seems as important, and the preview seems to emphasize the off-campus adventuring more than the intramural aspects, even though the intramural aspects really were the heart of the franchise.
That's not entirely true. While Hogwarts was always the centerpiece, there were places outside of its walls that saw action...:

hogwarts-map-house-editions-levi-pinfold.jpg
...so it makes sense to widen the game world a little and include them. Especially if it's not done at the cost of the school itself (which would be stupid, considering it's the most important part of the universe).

ChildInTime

Learned
She could've claimed that until the fourth novel, where it's explicitly stated that ANYONE can use the three forbidden spells. There's nothing special about them. They aren't this horrible power possessed only by people of pure evil, as they should be in a fable. Instead, you can just pick it up in your spare time.
Well, they are forbidden, so I don't expect you being able to use them. It will probably end up with you using regular disarm spell, just like Harry & Co. do in the books. Then again, they do state something about the possibility of "yielding to the temptation of more sinister magic", so who knows?

The game feels too late (and also misframed). The technology for such a game was around 15 years ago (when Bully was released). The franchise no longer seems as important, and the preview seems to emphasize the off-campus adventuring more than the intramural aspects, even though the intramural aspects really were the heart of the franchise.
That's not entirely true. While Hogwarts was always the centerpiece, there were places outside of its walls that saw action...:

hogwarts-map-house-editions-levi-pinfold.jpg
...so it makes sense to widen the game world a little and include them. Especially if it's not done at the cost of the school itself (which would be stupid, considering it's the most important part of the universe).
The first leak, the real one said there will be forbidden curses for the MC to learn. And about everyone being able to use them - Potter wanted to torture the hag that killed Sirius, but being fueled by righteous anger didn't give the spell It's needed power - mainly delight in cruelty and malevolence. It's a theme about spells there actually, like Potters mother sacrificing herself and powering the spell with love to protect him. So yeah, curses are actually powered by literal evil.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
The biggest problem I forsee, is that this game will be created for children despite the core fan base being in their late 20s and early 30s.
Well, we know the protagonist is going to be a 5th year student, which makes him 16 y.o. Which means you are not playing a kid, which is great, yet I wouldn't hope for anything too mature either. We can probably expect it to be similar to movies thematecally.

Last edited:

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
I wonder if Rowling ever thought about the long-term consequences of leaning into the crazy fandom, making Dumbledore gay and Hermione black, leading Twitter mobs, etc. I know this girl who is a huge HP fan and an "influencer" on Instagram among other bookish frumps and swots, and she recently posted a "statement" on her Instagram saying that she will not promote any works associated with "She who will not be named".

At the end of the day, Rowling herself catered to the young adult fantasy crowd. Maybe there wasn't an alternative, otherwise you would have had the same formula for 7 books, and the audience also grew up with the books. But still funny to see. Maybe her intellectual property can be taken away from her and all the profits from the franchise can be given to Warner Bros execs and spoiled actors, and everyone will cheer.

The early games were kinda cool, I've played a lot through the first 3.

Not sure who even cares about Potter nowadays.

Only played the first one myself. It was a bit shit and easy to be honest, but you don't notice that when you're 11. Plus the music by Jeremy Soule was great and the game as a whole was pretty atmospheric apart from the FLIIIIIIPENDOOOOO!!!111

Game Boy Color games were pretty good I seem to remember.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The early games were kinda cool, I've played a lot through the first 3.

Not sure who even cares about Potter nowadays.

Only played the first one myself. It was a bit shit and easy to be honest, but you don't notice that when you're 11. Plus the music by Jeremy Soule was great and the game as a whole was pretty atmospheric apart from the FLIIIIIIPENDOOOOO!!!111

Game Boy Color games were pretty good I seem to remember.
I remember a PC game where you had to go around as Harry Potter, killing small brown gnomes while platforming.

Of the Game Boy games, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets were sick, than the series went to shit.

Delterius

Arcane
The funny thing about JK Rowling is that she went from Woke to Retarded to Gas all the Transpeople in, what, a year or two?

She spent a long ass time insisting that Hogwarts was secretly filled with black, asian and jewish students and it was only that Harry, the proper englishman with a redheaded servant, never talked to any of them. She was rightly mocked for it.

ofc the jewish kid was secretly called goldberg or something lmao

Then she started expanding her universe into the Wizarding World. Complete with pre-plumbing wizards shitting wherever and using magic to clean after themselves. The crown achievement of it were the movies, disjointed messes where 5+ rare magic babies trade places in the titanic and Johnny Depp was cast as a villain who uses stopping the Holocaust as bait to get all the nazi wizards to help him kill all the non wizards (what). Mockery, yet again.

At some point she snapped and decided to grift a new audience // trigger an old one by going full TERF. I fully expect to hear from Jo that Two Genders Science class was the original 'Defence against the Dark Arts'.

TL;DR kotaku's right for the wrong reasons. JK Rowling's attempts to expand this setting have been a reverse touch of Midas. Her fighting the good fight on twitter is her being more entertaining than ever before.

Last edited:
The biggest problem I forsee, is that this game will be created for children despite the core fan base being in their late 20s and early 30s.
Well, we know the protagonist is going to be a 5th year student, which makes him 16 y.o. Which means you are not playing a kid, which is great, yet I wouldn't hope for anything too mature either. We can probably expect it to be similar to movies thematecally.

I wasn't necessarily referring to themes. It's entirely understandable to think that given what I wrote. What I was referring to was the complexity of the systems. A game like this in a HP setting should have really wild magic, with some very intriguing puzzle encounters. It would be disappointing if this game turns out to be little more than frivolous tourism of Hogwarts. The risk of the mechanics being very simple for children and consoles might spoil the whole thing.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
The funny thing about JK Rowling is that she went from Woke to Retarded to Gas all the Trans in, what, a year or two?

My impression is that she hasn't changed at all from her woke persona. What has happened is a combination of the ground moving under her and her being wilfully misrepresented by the tranny lobby at every turn. Case in point being her recent book, which despite what you might have read on twitter, isn't about a tranny going around murdering people.

Delterius

Arcane
The funny thing about JK Rowling is that she went from Woke to Retarded to Gas all the Trans in, what, a year or two?

My impression is that she hasn't changed at all from her woke persona. What has happened is a combination of the ground moving under her and her being wilfully misrepresented by the tranny lobby at every turn. Case in point being her recent book, which despite what you might have read on twitter, isn't about a tranny going around murdering people.
My theory is way better because it might include a future edition of Harry Potter with more n-words with hard rs.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I wonder if Rowling ever thought about the long-term consequences of leaning into the crazy fandom, making Dumbledore gay and Hermione black, leading Twitter mobs, etc.

Ever think maybe she's just a genuine person who was for gay rights and racial diversity but thinks eradicating the meaning of female is stupid? She had "fuck you money" then, the same as now.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
I would, however, play a HP-skinned Theme Hospital where you design your wizard school to maximise revenue, set up souvenir shops for visitors, and quietly shred the dead bodies of students in classes gone wrong.

More like Dungeon Keeper style, expanding your school and having your monsters students battle other schools who are obviously doing it wrong.

thesecret1

Arcane
Ever think maybe she's just a genuine person who was for gay rights and racial diversity but thinks eradicating the meaning of female is stupid?
But the first leads to the second. It's like being all for rolling that boulder from the top of the hill, but being against that boulder smashing into that house sitting underneath the hill.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
The analogy is apt. Liberalism is unstoppable once pushed. There's no end goal for liberals, only a drive to overturn everything that came before in the name of "progress".

Ol'man

Educated
Eagerly awaiting a Harry Potter boycott as effective as the Mulan boycott.

Deleted member 28561

Britain was a colonial empire so you would think there would be wizards from the colonies and holdings there, from both Africa and the Orient, makes sense for wizards from all the four corners of the world to gather there. Not like in this game however, because each would bring a different body of teachings and ways, not pseudo-British children, because those would not just be Anglo-Saxon only with maybe some Jews also but also upper class. That kind of thing would be a secret society and order in a normal high-status private school and even if that would make a good story this is not that.
Exactly, maybe you could have colored people in the school but they would be black Africans, not mixed race Britts.
Old Hermes would like to see Dogon wizards.
nuANcE Is bAD!
It is not nuance, if you saw off the tree branch which you sit upon you will fall. One thing is predicated to another. Not hard math. Put an equal sign between men and women and it must go in both directions, Rowling do not want it to, but it does.

Dramart

Learned
It looks boring trash for children only appealing to fat nerds and people with bad sight. I know it, I have acquaintances and I use to love this when I was a fat and greasy mutant with acne. For sure it's going to have bad gameplay and it's just going to an immersive experience in the stinky Hogwarts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom