Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

Baltika9

Arcane
and if I am right about Lenin he will search for us again.
Could you elaborate? The way the choice is made and treave's comment below makes me think it's a one-time deal.
Did we even have any offscreen interactions with Vladimir, treave?

Nothing particularly personal or interesting. It is as written: he's just impressed by your work ethic, that's all.

We're just a bright young man to him. Lenin is impressed by our work ethic, but I doubt he'll go out of his way to recruit us again.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
We're just a bright young man to him. Lenin is impressed by our work ethic, but I doubt he'll go out of his way to recruit us again.
In this case B is still more in character, will see.
I think 1A is plenty in-character. Lenin's offer wouldn't be received by Wrinkly as a random occurrence. To him, the KMI and all its members are serious professionals who gave him a stready paycheck, a stable job and an opportunity to learn one the job. Lenin's offer sounds less like a random occurrence, and more like a senior colleague offering to take a junior colleague under his wing. It feels something like this: 'I see a lot of potential in you, kid. I'm doing a thing here, you want in?'

And I think that Wrinkly would be open to doing so. He's an adventurous lad, who voluntarily uprooted his life twice, the first time to leave his shack and the second to leave Scottsfield, went gallivanting through ruins and jungkes, and participated in a weird dream-ritual. New experiences and career opportunities (which is exactly how Wrinkly would think of this offer) don't intimidate our character at all. So, yes, I can see Wrinkly accepting this offer.

Stand with us, comrades! Stand for 1A!

:salute:

Edit: as for why Lenin is even trying to recruit us, I think ChumBucket is at least partially right.
Perhaps, but he has other qualities as well: doggedness, focus and determination. There are good in-character reasons to pursue B.
That is why I see no bad choices. All have in character justification. Even going with Lenin. Wrinkly Has no problem joining someone who appears to show genuine interest in helping him. Doesn't mean he wouldn't change his mind if the Communist proves to be a manipulative power grabbing bastard, but Ilyich has yet to show that side of himself to us. Probably took an interest in us because we passed the useful idiot test when we refused to be a bomb jockey.

'Not a slacker, anarchist or degenerate. Works hard to feed his charge and has the sense to stay away from dumb shit like 'package delivery.''
:greatjob:
'I can work with that.'

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
skill points
All the skill points. More skill points than you can shake SMA's giant cock at!
:bounce:

Meh, I don't think skill points will be a concern with any choice. We'll have opportunities to develop them no matter where we end go. My question is: what exactly does this academy teach? Is it a vocational school, or do they provide a 'classical' education in liberal arts and physical sciences that the Association then refines into applicable professional skills through on the job training?

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
skill points
All the skill points. More skill points than you can shake SMA's giant cock at!
:bounce:

Meh, I don't think skill points will be a concern with any choice. We'll have opportunities to develop them no matter where we end go. My question is: what exactly does this academy teach? Is it a vocational school, or do they provide a 'classical' education in liberal arts and physical sciences that the Association then refines into applicable professional skills through on the job training?
hmph, let us consider it

Elite Skill Points™®© from the exclusive school recommended by Coolest Grandma Ever™®© Tlali

vs.

working class skill points recommended by... uhm, yeah?

which is better, and why?

to summarize my point dear sir:
skill points

:drink:

Baltika9

Arcane
Elite Skill Points™®© from the exclusive school recommended by Coolest Grandma Ever™®© Tlali

vs.

which is better, and why?
An 'elite' reputation doesn't automatically make the school the next option. I still think that this Academy will simply turn us into a combat autist, tailor-made for the needs of the Hunters' Association.

By contrast, I expect our activity with Lenin's organization to put us in many different situations from the beginning: union organizing, combat, political intrigues inside the party and without, espionage, public speeches, government administration and so on. Wrinkly, being a lad who learned to educate himself in all situations, will take well to such an environment and even excel in it. He has the personality for it and I don't think that skill points (TM) will be an issue with 1A.

And speaking of Tlalli and the school. While gramma is indeed cool, she wants us to attend this feeder school to make us a better field agent, not because she is an unbiased, kindly grandma looking out for the next generation.
She, just like Lenin and the hospital administration, is a recruiter who wants to foster talent for the benefit of her organization. Nothing more and nothing less.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You mean, "commie emmissary" class points?
Sebastian-Yarrick-Commissar-%28wh-40000%29-Astra-Militarum-Imperium-5782655.jpeg
We can hunt the most dangerous game!

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
If I thought going commie would turn us into Yarrick I might consider it.

It won't though. Because Yarrick isn't a commie. He's a fanatical theocratic monarchist who would happily liquidate any communist enclave or person he found if he so much as suspected those people of that kind of wrongthink.

He would also go to the hospital to visit a valued companion.

Do the right thing kids. Be more like Yarrick.

Baltika9

Arcane
He's a fanatical theocratic monarchist who would happily liquidate any communist enclave or person he found if he so much as suspected those people of that kind of wrongthink.
But Kalarion, Lenin is part of the Emperor's gestalt consciousness. If it is a lack of worship that holds you back, then say no more:
a7MVOym_700b.jpg
So Yarrick does, in fact, have a nonzero chance to be our future.
+M

Seriously, though, given the type of person Wrinkly is, I think we have a good chance to become a secret service-type agent. Which would be pretty cool.

Nevill

Arcane
Hmm, the statues are everywhere, the name is on every lips, and a thousand libruls!1 are sacrificed every day to the Golden Mausoleum. Everything checks out!

The Tzar Comrade* protects, and we will be his shield**. Have an astra for it and everything.

* "Tzar" can mean not only the ruler of the land, but also "the biggest and the baddest of its kind". See Tzar Cannon, Tzar Bell and the like.
** Specifically, this shield.

398px-Emblema_KGB.svg.png

Last edited:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
and now, for something completely different: let us consider the self-determination angle, the perennial question of freedom vs. bondage

Rasputin would make us a choir-boy tightly clenched before his horrible holiness

daddy demon dog would make us his dreadfully dominated dingo-dongo

Lenin might preach equality, but it is known he will inevitably make us his literal laurel-licking lackey

the local smelly hospital orderly is bound to be the biggest tyrant of all, with no upside whatsoever (beside potential nurse peeping as previously mentioned)

in all of those relationships, Wrinkly is in the subservient role with a clear master larger than life (except the orderly who is smaller than 2" but compensates with whips and chains)

now tell me, who tells Tlali or Indiana Jones or Geralt to drop and give me fifty while reciting an innovative sonnet comparing me to a summer's day? nobody, that's who

the Hunters have a clear agenda: protecting humanity from supernatural predators; and who can oppose that agenda - even with the inevitable heart-tugging ecstasy when we have to passionately stake Lizzie through her lately blackened heart?

of all the causes and organizations and factions we have met so far, only the Hunters treat their members as more or less equals (respect garnered by experience and ability - which we must gain either way or fatally fail - notwithstanding)

and you're telling me you prefer joining one of the alternatives? is is because you are aroused by shackles? why would you insist on having our pre-teen protag surrender his freedom and dignity, when given a choice that preserves such a precious privilege?

are you not entertained?

Baltika9

Arcane
Nice try, my dude, but:
And speaking of Tlalli and the school. While gramma is indeed cool, she wants us to attend this feeder school to make us a better field agent, not because she is an unbiased, kindly grandma looking out for the next generation.
She, just like Lenin and the hospital administration, is a recruiter who wants to foster talent for the benefit of her organization. Nothing more and nothing less.

now tell me, who tells Tlali or Indiana Jones or Geralt to drop and give me fifty while reciting an innovative sonnet comparing me to a summer's day? nobody, that's who
Funny you say that, because Witcher training was essentially what you described, Geralt getting hazed by Vesemir and the lads. We'll be the low man on the totem pole no matter where we go.
The Tzar Comrade* protects, and we will be his shield. Have an astra for it and everything.
So we will be the Revolutionary Leibguard to match Alexei's Imperial Leibguard, eh?

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nice try, my dude, but:

Funny you say that, because Witcher training was essentially what you described, Geralt getting hazed by Vesemir and the lads. We'll be the low man on the totem pole no matter where we go.

Both for the commie path and the hunter path, we'd be climbing the ranks by stepping on the bodies of those we've slain. And I prefer stepping on monsters rather than other humans.

Also, I think that hunters get to act independently much earlier in their career than commie agents

Baltika9

Arcane
Also, I think that hunters get to act independently much earlier in their career than commie agents
Tlalli's information contradicts that:
At present, the Association operates in individual cells; teams scattered across the floors which keep a look out for monsters and hunt them down, especially ones which have preyed upon humans. Their main headquarters remains in Londinium, although they have branch offices in most of the large cities. When you pointed out that Tlalli is operating alone, she only snorted and said that she didn’t need a team. You get the impression that she might be unique even amongst the Hunters.
The Association is an organization, which means we will be subordinate to a chain of command and we'll have to keep up the Masquerade around the supernatural.
Both for the commie path and the hunter path, we'd be climbing the ranks by stepping on the bodies of those we've slain. And I prefer stepping on monsters rather than other humans.
Yes, that's the nature of revolutionary politics. I respect this argument, even though I expect us to be taking human lives before the LP is through no matter what we do.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tlalli's information contradicts that:
At present, the Association operates in individual cells; teams scattered across the floors which keep a look out for monsters and hunt them down, especially ones which have preyed upon humans. Their main headquarters remains in Londinium, although they have branch offices in most of the large cities. When you pointed out that Tlalli is operating alone, she only snorted and said that she didn’t need a team. You get the impression that she might be unique even amongst the Hunters.
The Association is an organization, which means we will be subordinate to a chain of command and we'll have to keep up the Masquerade around the supernatural.

right, I had missed that.

Yes, that's the nature of revolutionary politics. I respect this argument, even though I expect us to be taking human lives before the LP is through no matter what we do.

yes, I agree, I prefer to fight against monsters, but I understand that we might have to fight other humans

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
===Tally===

==1st choice==
A - 5 (2)
B - 6 (10)
C - 10

==2nd choice==

A - 0
B - 1
C - 19

Baltika9 - AC>BC
hellofriend - AC>BC>CC
Orbit - AC>BC
Kipeci - AX>BX
Oscar - AC

ChumBucket - BC>AC
CappenVarra - BC
Nahel - BB
Grimgravy - BC>BB>CC
Azira - BC>CC
baud - BC

Nevill - CC
Kz3r0 - CC
Kalarion - CC
Lambchop19 - CC>BC
asxetos - CC
ItsChon - CC>BC
Egosphere - CC
Nyx - CC
ERYFKRAD - CC
Life of the Party - CC

Comrades, victory is close! Rally to 1A and press our advantage! For the Communitarian Council of Codexian Players!
nNVq6xE.jpg

8msIz4G.jpg

Last edited:

hello friend

Arcane
By contrast, I expect our activity with Lenin's organization to put us in many different situations from the beginning: union organizing, combat, political intrigues inside the party and without, espionage, public speeches, government administration and so on.
Man that sounds boring af. Real world communism is dull like stones, only thing making it more than a little interesting in this context is because the context is the Tower. A revolution of any sort is bound to cause a huge shakeup, with all the opportunities it affords. Still, the more you talk the more I want to flop away from it. Union organising Zzzzz

daddy demon dog would make us his dreadfully dominated dingo-dongo
bro you don't know that

Baltika9

Arcane
Man that sounds boring af. Real world communism is dull like stones, only thing making it more than a little interesting in this context is because the context is the Tower. A revolution of any sort is bound to cause a huge shakeup, with all the opportunities it affords. Still, the more you talk the more I want to flop away from it. Union organising Zzzzz

Still, the more you talk the more I want to flop away from it. Union organising Zzzzz
was thinking about the scenarios in which we may participate in the early chapters based on the history of the early 20th century, but I sincerely doubt that 1A will lack in excitement. Lenin is trying to start a revolution in the planet's most valuable colony and only source of Astras. I'm personally looking forward to participating in, and maybe even running, the Revolutionary War against every single Great Power. If we want to, I'm sure we'll be able to saddle up with the Red Cavalry.

t9ib3fB.jpg

Edit: or becoming a secret service agent. Point being, Wrinkly is a studious lad who is well-suited to take on all sorts of roles. Boredom is not a predetermined outcome and will be in very short supply, given the nature of the setting and Lenin's character.

edit 2:
Still, the more you talk the more I want to flop away from it.
I respect that. I don't think I'm entitled to your, or anyone else's, vote. I just really, really want them, because I'm sure that 1A will lead to an awesome and relatable story that will speak to both real history and the story of the Tower.

This is why I fight so hard for them, with rhetoric, posters and outright shilling.
:lol: :salute:

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
OK. At the end of the day:

AC & BC are both career choices, and neither is likely to measurably improve our ability to help Liz.

So it's either choosing the kind of career we would prefer to have, versus throwing it all away just to be near Liz on some distant hope of helping. I just can't see how CC is going to help much.

Personally, I prefer AC for politics and hugely prefer it to supernatural. But we rolled a Hunter, we have seen that this world is teeming with the supernatural, and we have shown affinity for the kind of work it entails.

In conclusion, I vote...

a cut of domestic sheep prime

It's ok guys, I'm sure Liz will be fine without us...

jMXajXS.png

But yeah, the commie shills can go kill themselves.

The only compromise I can suggest with the Lenin-fetishizing commie wannabes is that we take the dog's deal and shove one of those spears up Lenin's ass.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nevill

Arcane
Uridimmu would be pretty chill with Lenin. Once the power of communism transforms the Tower into a giant spaceship to further spread it across the universe, the dog can become a part of the Soviet Space Program. New planets for walkies, new frontiers, so many new things to hunt down and murder!

Hvm4VS4S_o.jpg

Nevill

Arcane
But not all of them died in space. Belka and Strelka returned just fine and lived happily ever after.

Uridimmu has no words of sympathy for losers.
Two HR managers sift through a thick stack of resumes. "We'll never be done with it on time!" says the younger one. The older one splits the stack in two, and throws half of it in a garbage bin. "But... what about the applicants?" says the younger one. "We have no need for losers," replies the older one.
(also, the accusation is pretty funny given the picture I used)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom