Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crysis Remastered

JDR13

Arcane
Why didn't they wait with this until the next-gen consoles are out? Then they could have done something more with the remaster

Because this way they can release it again on those consoles and call it the Definitive Edition.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
What's even more amazing is that more than a decade later people still think Crysis had somehow impressive textures for anything but the characters.

Oh it definitely had some poor textures, I don't blame them for that considering how much was on screen at that point in time. It makes it even more wtf that the new one has worse ones here and there. Though to be fair, it could be the TAA and other processing effects just making them look worse.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Well, that turns me right off from trying it. One of my main hopes was that with modern processing support I could play it with high refresh. How fucking stupid.

So not only do these retards make it look worse overall than original by fucking up colors, they also keep the same performance issues while doing it. Crytek, please fucking die already.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Even aside from general performance and looks, I watched a couple gameplay vids over lunch and both were complaining about stutters and loading pauses while running around the world. What a shitshow.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Bought this knowing I could refund it to check it out. Played the first level through on both and here's my rundown...

Positives:
+ MUCH better draw distance on objects and higher detail models. In the original things like cups and plates noticeably pop in, and things like bushes noticeably grow flowers as you approach. The remaster improves this dramatically.
+ Lighting is technically much better.
+ TAA reduces jaggies on trees.
+ Higher res shadows, which look nicer on the trees especially.

Negatives:
- Runs worse than the original even at medium settings with ray tracing off. Expected I guess, but it doesn't look modern enough to warrant it.
- TAA1X is super blurry when in motion, to an almost absurd degree. You can move, stop, move, stop and watch the world go from blur city to sharp. Worse than usual with TAA. TAA2X is insanely blurry in general. SMAA looks fine but no better than original game.
- Better lighting is very artistically different, much more colorful which might work better for a tropical island but debatable. Sunrise section in first game changed to full daytime, though it's still dark right before. Very odd.
- No option for normal sprint, it's MAXIMUM SPEED or walking.
- No quicksave or quickload.
- Crouch is now a toggle and feels broken, working only half the time? Seems like an easy patch fix though.
- Lots of little glitches, Koreans getting stuck in geometry, mouse cursor showing on screen, things like that. Noticed none of this on original.

All in all, a mixed bag that performs much worse. Not gonna lie, the pop in on the original surprised me, I didn't remember it being that bad. However the blur when moving and then detail "popping in" when you stop moving due to the TAA in the remaster is just as distracting so... eh. I think the only reason to get it is if you love the lighting enough to deal with lower performance, and you can tell that from the videos. Be aware though, it "feels" worse on PC due to changes to controls and mechanics, and has artistic changes as well.

I refunded, for what it's worth. Maybe in a year on GOG or Steam I'll get it again, see if a future PC and a few patches help.

JDR13

Arcane
Iirc, there are config file tweaks for the original that increase draw distance and reduce the amount of pop-in.

retinoid

Savant
"Remaster":
Crysis-Remastered-Screenshot-2020-09-18-06-55-56-89.png

2007 modded:
image00002zskhb.png

Bought this knowing I could refund it to check it out. Played the first level through on both and here's my rundown...

Positives:
+ MUCH better draw distance on objects and higher detail models. In the original things like cups and plates noticeably pop in, and things like bushes noticeably grow flowers as you approach. The remaster improves this dramatically.
+ Lighting is technically much better.
+ TAA reduces jaggies on trees.
+ Higher res shadows, which look nicer on the trees especially.

In original you can fix draw distances and shadow resolution by tweaking config files, forcing SGSSAA with nvidia inspector takes care of tree jaggies. So it only leaves the supposedly better lighting, which I haven't really seen in videos.

Last edited:

Silly Germans

What is the "best" game visually nowadays when it comes to fps shooter graphics ? I wonder what that would look like if you placed it besides the original Crysis 1 from 13 years ago.

Kitchen Utensil

For larger outdoor areas, maybe Call of the Wild?
Doesn't look better imo.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
In original you can fix draw distances and shadow resolution by tweaking config files, forcing SGSSAA with nvidia inspector takes care of tree jaggies. So it only leaves the supposedly better lighting, which I haven't really seen in videos.

I'll look into the pop-in tweaks since I'm probably going to play the game through now, but it already drops to 70ish fps in some areas due to processor limits, so not sure how much wiggle room is there. Probably plenty of GPU overhead to force AA though, since it runs at 140+fps when not looking over a large area.

I'll look into the pop-in tweaks since I'm probably going to play the game through now, but it already drops to 70ish fps in some areas due to processor limits, so not sure how much wiggle room is there. Probably plenty of GPU overhead to force AA though, since it runs at 140+fps when not looking over a large area.

Here's what I used in objects cvar last playthrough:

= 4

e_obj_quality=4
e_proc_vegetation=1
ca_useDecals=1
e_decals_allow_game_decals=1
e_decals_life_time_scale=2
e_lod_ratio=24
e_lod_min=0
e_lods=0
e_view_dist_ratio_detail=60
e_view_dist_ratio_vegetation=100
e_vegetation_min_size=0
i_rejecteffects=1
e_vegetation_bending=2
sys_flash_curve_tess_error=2
e_view_dist_ratio=100
e_max_view_dst_spec_lerp=1
e_vegetation_sprites_distance_custom_ratio_min=1
e_vegetation_sprites_distance_ratio=3
e_detail_materials_view_dist_xy=10240
e_detail_materials_view_dist_z=640
es_DebrisLifetimeScale=1
e_cbuffer_resolution=256
e_dissolve=1
ca_DrawFaceAttachments=1
ca_AttachmentCullingRation=200
e_terrain_occlusion_culling_max_dist=200
"e_lods=0" is one of most important things here.

For shadows I simply set max shadow res to 2048, up from 1024. And increased shadow cast ratio by 50 percent. It was enough.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's hilarious the korean soldier face while you're grabbing his neck as shown at 1:33

The indoor lighting comparison right at 5:00 in this video is a good example of why I included lighting in the positives. It's overblown outside sometimes and the color changes are very subjective, but that comparison shows how technically improved it is. I don't think it's worth the other issues though.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
What is the "best" game visually nowadays when it comes to fps shooter graphics ? I wonder what that would look like if you placed it besides the original Crysis 1 from 13 years ago.

Probably METRO: Exodus

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom