Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

Codex Year of the Donut
but I sincerely doubt that it was bigger than Skyrim in the technical sense.
679eff5c33b78b032cab9abfb9140359.jpg
eh, these comparisons are bunk.
If Skyrim was truly 15 square miles, you'd be able to run from any point to any other point on the map(assuming a straight line) in about 5 real life minutes(Skyrim has a 1:20 timescale.) A quick search suggests it takes about half an hour of real life time to do so. Sure, it's not a straight line, but still.

Simply comparing the 'size' is meaningless.

jackofshadows

Magister
Not to mention that Skyrim has tons of dungeons which makes feel overall world size much bigger while TW3 has very limited amount of dungeons.

Avarize

Magister
One thing could really help Obsidian - as mentioned before, the Living Lands is supposed to be a strange and exotic region. If they would go all out and make a distinct and unorthodox setting, THEN they'd have a chance of capturing a wider audience.

Unfortunately, for the wider market, the reverse is often true. Straight up fantasy sells. Exotic doesn't.

I wonder how well Oblivion would have done if it hadn't retconned Cyrodill from jungle to temperate, 'you've-seen-it-before pretty & comforting' fantasy landscape. The same is broadly true for KCD and Witcher 3 - the main dish is the nice, temperate, vaguely European forests and plains. I would imagine it also has to do with the challenges of designing and implementing crazy biomes. Kudos to Morrowind for going all out on it, which remains unique to this day.
I'd take jungle over Skyrim, AC Valhalla or the Viking island in Witcher 3 every time. If I want to see pine forest and snow I can look out the window.

Danikas

Arcane
Bigger in what aspect?
Witcher 3 is bigger than Skyrim in map size and quest number.

Witcher 3 quest number
There are 57 main quests
Also, if you added all the main quests, side quests, and quests in the expansion packs together, you’d have
405 quests to work through.

Skyrim quest number
There are 12 Main quests, and 18 radiant quests. Other than the infinite radiant quests, there are a total of 330 quests (including all dlc)

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
Nothing in witcher 3 is worth exploring. The world feels tiny and mmorpgish which is shit for open world games. Skellag or w.e was even worse especially with its diving for trash treasure content. Its a blunder of a game I enjoyed witcher 1 and 2 more. Any GTA game is a better sandbox world to explore.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
i like the wood ladies quest in witcher 3
The game does have quite a lot of good things in it. The level design is one of the best eva,the world is beautiful,don't know if it was out done till this day,the writing is top tier too. Only the combat is pretty generic action rpg stuff.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Bigger in what aspect?
Witcher 3 is bigger than Skyrim in map size and quest number.

Witcher 3 quest number
There are 57 main quests
Also, if you added all the main quests, side quests, and quests in the expansion packs together, you’d have
405 quests to work through.

Skyrim quest number
There are 12 Main quests, and 18 radiant quests. Other than the infinite radiant quests, there are a total of 330 quests (including all dlc)

Skyrim is shit without adding sex mods, then it becomes one of the more functional sex games out there.

Witcher 3 isn't shit, but it's not really a RPG, but rather an action-adventure with RPG elements and lackluster combat.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The game does have quite a lot of good things in it. The level design is one of the best eva,the world is beautiful,don't know if it was out done till this day,the writing is top tier too. Only the combat is pretty generic action rpg stuff.

Combat isn't the only problem Twitcher 3 has. Or even the biggest one. Main problems are the the shit tier itemization and level scaling.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Combat isn't the only problem Twicher 3 has. Or even the biggest one. Main problems are the the shit tier itemization and level scaling.
Which are a combat thing. Tho they have improved it a lot with the patches. Recently i replayed it and was a improved a lot,even the combat. Tho i did use a mod for 100% exp from quests despite the level difference. I had really good time replaying it,especially the blood and wine dlc. Fuck that place looks amazing. I even went full authist with not using the fast travel in it :lol:.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Skyrim was awesome. While it was not bigger than titles that were released MANY YEARS LATER, the point of Bethesda's CRPGs are not to just be big. After all, their biggest was Daggerfall, and let's be honest, it SUCKED in various ways compared to Skyrim. But if size is all that matters to you, and form doesn't matter, then yeah, i suppose Skyrim was lacking.

People who only care about size are the same people who think the ideal boobs are these:

8d4003dccb91f71a9ef53d212100943e--support-photo-black-man.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hype for what? The trailer was an early tease - there may well be no further news about this game until E3 2021.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
At least Eora is a fantasy setting which actually addresses the existence of gunpowder. Almost every other one either ignores it completely (Forgotten Realms); makes up a retarded reason for it not existing (A Song of Ice and Fire/Planetos), or tries to wave it away as "certain factions keep this knowledge secret" (The Witcher).

Narax

Educated
At least Eora is a fantasy setting which actually addresses the existence of gunpowder. Almost every other one either ignores it completely (Forgotten Realms); makes up a retarded reason for it not existing (A Song of Ice and Fire/Planetos), or tries to wave it away as "certain factions keep this knowledge secret" (The Witcher).

This is what i like about PoE, at least it tries to make sense, while other settings simply just add random things for the sake of adding them with no thought of how they fit in the world.

Codex Year of the Donut
smartest people in fantasy settings tend to be magic users, magic users have little need to spend their time discovering things like gunpowder but instead spend their time studying the arcane

if anything, fantasy societies where being able to use magic is simply a result of studying instead of birthright/luck/etc., aren't biased enough against non-magic users.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom