Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 Community Update #6: Multiplayer & Cinematics

Niklasgunner

Savant
This sounds like a costly waste of time. Why do they persist with this crap? For the tens of people who played D:OS co-op?
How can one comment be so shitty and wrong? The only reason Divinity OS:2 sold so fucking much is because of co-op, its a prime feature for larian games. Disconnected no clue grognards

This sounds like a costly waste of time. Why do they persist with this crap? For the tens of people who played D:OS co-op?
How can one comment be so shitty and wrong? The only reason Divinity OS:2 sold so fucking much is because of co-op, its a prime feature for larian games. Disconnected no clue grognards

That would explain why 50% of people never finished the first act and 94% never finished the game. Who has the patience to play 60 hours coop.

My prediction is that the first 10 hours of BG3 are very good, 95+ Metacritic good, with an engaging story hook, polished encounters, meaningful C&C and such. The rest of the game is an afterthought, which doesn't matter because most people won't get to see it.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The culture is a bit different these days. People have no problem buying a coop game and quitting before the first act is over, moving on to a different game with their friends next week. No, it's definitely correct to say that, in the case of Divinity OS2, coop was a big selling point. Many streaming groups animated many, many people to try the game with their friends. That it is too long to realistically finish is obviously true; this target audience, however, doesn't mind. Just having been able to play together for 4, 10 hours is enough for them to have justified the purchase.

You always look at things with your sensible eyes, failing to realize that basically everyone under 30 these days has serious ADHD and can't focus on one thing for too long, so they are fine with playing a game for an hour and then dropping it.

The culture is a bit different these days. People have no problem buying a coop game and quitting before the first act is over, moving on to a different game with their friends next week. No, it's definitely correct to say that, in the case of Divinity OS2, coop was a big selling point. Many streaming groups animated many, many people to try the game with their friends. That it is too long to realistically finish is obviously true; this target audience, however, doesn't mind. Just having been able to play together for 4, 10 hours is enough for them to have justified the purchase.

You always look at things with your sensible eyes, failing to realize that basically everyone under 30 these days has serious ADHD and can't focus on one thing for too long, so they are fine with playing a game for an hour and then dropping it.

Yet those same people don't mind spending thousands of hours in WOW/ESO/Destiny or some other MMO of the year. The culture has always been like that, there have always been people who would rather play quick matches in Quake/Starcraft or go for raids with friends. And there have always been developers who said that single player is dead, every game should be strictly multiplayer now or at least have multiplayer elements shoved in. It hardly ever works, single player games rarely benefit from hamfisted multiplayer stuff, unless they are Dark Souls. Still studios insist on wasting time and money this way.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Whoa!! "Strictly multi-player?" Oh fawk no!

And there have always been developers who said that single player is dead, every game should be strictly multiplayer now or at least have multiplayer elements shoved in.

Boo! If you ask us, multiplayer doesn't need to be stuffed into every single game. But hey, EA is a business, and if it thinks the money is all in 'connected' games, that's the direction it'll go in unless it's proven otherwise.

EA? Grrrrrrr. :argh:

Last edited:

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Considering anyone with a reasonable reading speed can read the entire sentence before the character has spoken 3 words, spending all this time making dialogue "cinematic" when the bulk of players are just going to mash spacebar every 4 or 5 words to skip to the next chunk of dialogue is completely pointless and serves to entertain idiots who think side-quests is "grinding" and need the screen to flash pretty colors every two seconds less they get bored. Watch, next they're going to make it so all dialogue is un-skippable because they want you to watch their "cinematic" work and you have to listen to every. single. word. slowly. spoken. at. the. speed. of. a. special. needs. teacher. every. single. time. there's. dialogue.

Fuck the people that can actually read I guess. Y'know, the ones that play rpg's.

Lame and casual-pilled.
i think they've said it themselves too at some point, ia bunch of stuff they are making is literally for twitch streamers

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Considering anyone with a reasonable reading speed can read the entire sentence before the character has spoken 3 words, spending all this time making dialogue "cinematic" when the bulk of players are just going to mash spacebar every 4 or 5 words to skip to the next chunk of dialogue is completely pointless and serves to entertain idiots who think side-quests is "grinding" and need the screen to flash pretty colors every two seconds less they get bored. Watch, next they're going to make it so all dialogue is un-skippable because they want you to watch their "cinematic" work and you have to listen to every. single. word. slowly. spoken. at. the. speed. of. a. special. needs. teacher. every. single. time. there's. dialogue.

Fuck the people that can actually read I guess. Y'know, the ones that play rpg's.

Lame and casual-pilled.
i think they've said it themselves too at some point, ia bunch of stuff they are making is literally for twitch streamers

Step one: cater to Twitch streamers
Step two: build a game (allegedly) for fans of the original BG series
Step three: ?????
Step four: we lost our audience guys

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Sadly, it doesn't even matter. The 'twitch watcher / coop gamer' casual RPG audience is far larger than the BG fan audience. It's like Fallout 3...

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I wouldn't doubt it. I downloaded two nonrpg demos DEATH & TAXES and some others. D&T actually has twitch, discord, and other settings right in the game. I'm rather new to all this newfangled Millennial+++ shit functions in games. OLD MAN IS OLD!!!

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
This game better have the option to scream "Aaah, a vampire! Kill him!" and be over with that fucking monster for the rest of the game.
I've watched maybe 1 hour of BG3 gameplay now and already am tired of that douche.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
"marks the welcome return of the funny Swen video tradition."

Funny? Grow up infinitron

No, sadly it became like that. You suppose to get feedback for things that don't work as intended. It's your painting, stop handing over brushes to random people to draw on your shit. Just forget about us, work on the game and continue the saga the proper way.

Typically this would be the right opinion but Larian needs all the help they can get and in no way is any larian product a painting or anything else resembling art

Codex Year of the Donut
I tried playing DoS with a friend. Nothing is more awkward than reading walls of text together and wondering whether the other person has finished reading or not. Or if that person even gives a fuck if you skip it or is just trying to be polite like you.
This is how my experience playing dos2 coop went. Can't imagine playing it with 4 people.
Seems pretty popular for coop though so maybe we just played it wrong.

cpmartins

Cipher

Lame and casual-pilled.

Step one: cater to Twitch streamers
Step two: build a game (allegedly) for fans of the original BG series
Step three: ?????
Step four: we lost our audience guys
One day, hopefully, someone somewhere will create a piece of equipment that can channel massive amounts of gamma radiation through the internet. On that day, every single streamer will get at least 35 types of cancer.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I tried playing DoS with a friend. Nothing is more awkward than reading walls of text together and wondering whether the other person has finished reading or not. Or if that person even gives a fuck if you skip it or is just trying to be polite like you.
This is how my experience playing dos2 coop went. Can't imagine playing it with 4 people.
Seems pretty popular for coop though so maybe we just played it wrong.

If I want to play a RPG with another live, human being, I'd rather just break out PnP. Not my cup of tea.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Streamers have cultist communities. Larian has a cultist community. Seems like a logical step. The only people who would play this game are cultists so they're catering to streamers because they know everyone watching is a viable customer for them because they are prone to that behaviour already

Mech

Cipher
*kisses pathfinder CRPGs*, you'll never let me down... much.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Wow conversation mini games. Where have I seen this? If only I could remember. No, I can’t...
Oh wait TES Oblivion.

Haven’t been in Codex for almost two years and nothing good happened. What a surprise!

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Mass Effect 2 managed to entertain me with some of its cutscenes and overall "cinematic" gameplay. I hope that ""BG3"" will manage that, too. At least.
I mean, since it's sure as shit not a real continuation of the series.

Mass Effect 2 managed to entertain me with some of its cutscenes and overall "cinematic" gameplay. I hope that ""BG3"" will manage that, too. At least.
I mean, since it's sure as shit not a real continuation of the series.

I agree, and I think the best way to experience ME2 is this:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom