Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief fan missions and campaigns

Riskbreaker

Should've bugged him more about making that Quake map, given that he was also making fun of skacky's Quake efforts. Given how his Thief 2 fms basically wholesale lifted geometry from TDS et al, I'd have loved to see the choice of 'inspiration' for his unplayable Quake masterwork.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Completed Inverted Manse for T2, one of the great classics.

It was a sequel to Cult of the Resurrection, which was an atmospheric but rather easy T1 mission.
IM also oozes atmosphere, and difficulty was notched up a bit, with enemies that are much more alert and harder to kill. Puzzlewize it's still on the easier side; at least I managed to get through it all without consulting the release thread, where TTLG legend (I assume) Nightwalker guides lower level taffers through the missions.
I liked the new weapons, even though the only arrows I used much were the exploding ones. It seemed they were the only ones that made much impact of some of the Guardians. And the guardian riding a burrick was brilliant!

Great mission, but not for the typical T2 fan since most enemies are undead.
But it was shorter than I had thought, and I finished it in 2:50 hours. I thought I would have to return to the surface. There were places I did't explore there, like the vault and IIRC some doors that were locked. Also, the last bit seems to be a potential "dead man walking" scenario, if you use the fireproof potion and waste time on killing the burricks instead of nicking the book and return over the lava before the potion wears off.
Or maybe there's an alternative route to the spell tome? After all the objective for which you get the fireproof potion as a reward was optional. Maybe something to do with those four gems that light up but don't do anything when clicking on them?

BTW; I played on Warrior difficulty. Will probably try the other difficulties some time, since they apparantly offer a somewhat different experience.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I've been revisiting some of the Big Hits of FMs through the years lately, mostly to see whether they pass muster after some years of me growing as a person and critic.

"Bloodmist Tower" by kfort.

Garrett plans to rob a nobleman of everything's he's got. Things take a weird turn when an innocuous-looking horn takes him to Somewhere Else. Hilarity Ensues.

After recently recommending it to an aspiring taffer I felt like having a go at it myself. It is Awesome. It is Smooth. It is Gold. It Sings to Me. It has Taffing, it has Style, it has Humor. Though some may disagree, I'm henceforth gonna rank it as one of the best Thief FMs ever made.

A perfect 10/10? Perhaps. Not sure yet, but it has a better chance of it than many others.

"Wicked Relics" by kfort.

Garrett has heard of a nobleman making a big score, and wants in on his good fortune. Turns out he may have bit off a little more than he can chew, but Garrett isn't the Master Thief for nothing, is he?

kfort's final Thief FM is a mansion-heist with lots of twists, and plenty of humor. I consider it Mandatory Taffing Material because of the balance of it all, even though it's not as fine-tuned as "Bloodmist Tower". PLEASE visit the graveyard and read all the epitaphs, and do remember that the big swirly trees outside can be climbed like ropes/vine.

9.5/10.

"The Drymian Codex" by Yandros Random_Taffer and Tannar

The above trio decided to Remix an older FM by Goit into something more impressive. The result is That, and So Much More. Garrett (in a moment between T2 and T3) is going after a Pagan book that sounds valuable, but could upset the Balance of Things, as he later finds out.

When I first played this I was gobsmacked by it, but a second playthrough years later reveals some of the cracks. Those forced cutscenes feel a bit off and the sheer number of guards present in a Hammerite complex feels slightly absurd, but... pay attention to the atmosphere they're gunning for. The early section where you're running through the sewers trying to find the keys is AMAZING for horror tension/atmosphere build-up. And that's BEFORE we get to the Sealed Part of the Crypt, which is easily one of the most tense Thief-moments ever conceived.

8/10, the aforementioned gentlemen deserve praise for their efforts. :)

"Heartcliff Islands" by Quilous

There are clever FM authors... and then there are insane, but clever FM authors. Quilous fits the second bill perfectly, for his Fan Missions all possess an otherworldly quality of some sort. In the case of Heartcliff Islands the alien element is the scale of it, enormous doesn't quite cut it. I had trouble running this FM upon release, but with a more optimized Thief-installation and a beefier computer it runs almost smoothly now. There are some truly brilliant things in here, and it's really cool to see the lighthouse beams pan across the prison, and while I'm very fond of "Dark-as-crap"-darkness it needs to be used correctly. It's intended for closed environments, not wide-open spaces like here!

Anyway, Garrett finds himself imprisoned on a prison island and seeks to escape, but finds out there's something wicked lurking in its depths. I've spent the better part of a week trying to get anywhere in this FM... and I'm not enjoying it at all. There are so many things to do, but little to no information given about how to do them, or even why! Something as simple as mixing a potion somehow becomes needlessly convoluted.

After taffing about for three hours in-game (and many times that in reality) I eventually admitted defeat and consulted the walkthrough, courtesy of Ricebug's herculean efforts. Most of his FM-walkthroughs are usually 2-3 pages, sometimes a little more. The walkthrough for Heartcliff Islands is 37 pages. And the more I read the more apparent my rating for this FM is, which is...

Nope/10, it's testament to the Modder's Madness, and I hope someone can wrest some enjoyment from this. But I, for one, am not having it, this FM falls into that small group that I don't see a reason to play.

"Rose Cottage" by lots of taffers (including some already mentioned)

I split Thief FMs into roughly two groups: Those that try to deliver more Thief-gameplay, and Those that try to use the Dark Engine to create something else. "Rose Cottage" falls into the latter category, and is one of the best results of that group.

You control an unnamed paranormal investigator sent to determine why a mortuary is haunted (heh). Gameplay-wise we're "only" talking about a key hunt and an optional collecta-thon, but that's not why Rose Cottage excels. It's because of the visuals, the aesthetics, the sound effects, the atmosphere and the minute attention to detail. Even the intro cinematic is worth a mention, with an amazing artstyle that makes it one of the best Thief FM intros ever made. This FM pulls tricks that are still amazing over a decade later (the expanding hallway is my personal favorite) and finally achieves something that very few FMs do... it transcends Thief as a game, only using minor aspects of it to create something different with a broader appeal. One does not need to learn the ins and outs of Thief to enjoy Rose Cottage. It may not interest die-hard Thief-players who are in it for the loot and the thrills, but it certainly has something for everyone.

For reasons I don't think it qualifies for the usual x/10-rating, but instead I'll say it's "Highly recommended".

Riskbreaker

They also used some pretty un-Thief-like epic music for some cutscenes, did they not? Or I might be misremembering.
One thing that struck me, and this probably has to do with the FM being based on an older one, is the contrast in visuals between the insides of the Hammerite compound and the rest of the mission, where the former had much simpler geometry and detailing more in line with the base game or early FMs.
But yeah, it was pretty sweet.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Due to NewDark being a thing some older FMs can be... bothersome, mostly due to scripting issues.

Fortunately this is being addressed, but mostly as third-party patchjobs.

But taffer Nameless Voice has gone one further and went back to his older FMs, removing all the bothers from them. So "Temple of the Tides" and "The Affairs of Wizards" have been updated and now work again as they should.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Completed Seeds of Doubt, another old Thief mission.
Compared to the other missions I've played recently, this one was rather crude and easy, and I guess not worth playing for experienced taffers.

Had a couple of things I haven't see before, like having to ring a door bell to enter a Temple (after clobbering the guard that answers) and using a golden skull artifact to kill some otherwise invincible haunt type of enemies, by throwing the skull at them.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
I'm on my bi yearly binge of Thief FMs. So far I've completed:

- Endless Rain: I thought I hadn't played this yet, until I was about halfway in and realized I had. Either way, it's one of skacky's best, so it deserves a replay.

- Lost Among the Forsaken: Another fantastic mission. I've always had a soft spot for exploring spooky, abandoned cities and this one hits the ball out of the park on that front. The way the atmosphere envelopes you upon first entering the sealed quarter is fantastic, I'd expect no less of a DrK mission.

- Inverted Manse: More spooky undead infested ruin raiding. This one's considered a classic, but I never played it. So, I decided to rectify that considering my affinity towards undead focused missions. The mission itself was very nice, I liked how it felt like a gradual descent into madness. Not sitting through an additional two replays to get the full experience though, can't say I'm a fan of that concept.

- All Torc: Another replay, but this one was deliberate. The predecessor to Stones and Glass Houses. Garrett is hired to steal an unrightfully claimed family heirloom from a mansion. Uniquely enough you actually have to make it to the mansion by train first, and there's even a short intermission taking place on the moving train. To this day I still haven't seen something like that done in any other FM. Solid mission, glad this was my introduction to FMs back then.

prengle

Savant
lol i thought skacky had moved on to Bigger And Better™ games industry shit again what happened while i was sleeping and writhing..

nice cutscene art from cettus

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
It's been a long while since I've played this trilogy of FMs, and my memories and impressions were all over the place. Time for a do-over.

"Lord Alan's Basement"

Garrett is hired to track down a cache of silver that was stolen from a bank. The biggest suspect is a bloke calling himself Lord Alan, who has ties with the Thieves' Guild. What Alan calls a basement everyone else would call 'sprawling complex', complete with a torture chamber, large storage rooms, vaults, a mausoleum and a wooden gymnasium of sorts... and that's before we count all the tunnels.

Despite being an old FM there are two things to note here: The added difficulty and what I think are 'scripted patrols' of the guards. The added difficulty are things like forced ghosting on Expert-level difficulty, and a requirement to knock out everyone on Hard. The scripted patrols are something I can't recall having seen before. The two first guards you come across stand perfectly still until you enter the room. About ten seconds after that one of them starts a circular, counter-clockwise patrol around the perimeter of the room. On the right is a room with two entrances, about 30 seconds after entering that room the other guard in this room will start a short diagonal patrol along its center. Almost every guard I came across pulled similar unexpected actions, like turning on lights they've ignored in past patrols, or entering rooms they've otherwise avoided. This makes the guards very unpredictable, and adds to the difficulty in a novel manner.

Sadly this FM shows its age in other areas. It's 95% square rooms, right angles and straight passageways, there are close to 20 keys to be found and a similar amount of readables. Some extra patience will be required.

Rating: 7.5/10. It's an oldie but a goodie, but not to be underestimated.

"Lord Alan's Fortress"

Garrett isn't finished with Lord Alan, this time he's going after an artifact from his sizeable country estate (read: Mansion-fortress). But as usual there's more going on than just a rich bastard feeling a little under the weather, and Garrett has to suss things out.

Visually and architecturally this FM is an absolute wonder. Many players start out by simply taking a walk around the place, and I can't fault them. This must have been a huge strain on computers back in 2003. My favorite place by far is a small tomb that can be found in a secret passage.

As for the gameplay... as in the prequel there's one difficulty setting where everyone has to be knocked out, and another setting where (almost) no one can be. (Knockout-gas is OK though.) So the challenge-rating is pretty tough right off the bat. Oddly enough I didn't notice the guards doing the same scripted patrol shenanigans as they did in Lord Alan's Basement, but some of them sure loved to freestyle their patrol routes. One problem that did bother me was how things aren't marked that clearly around the fortress. What I thought was the front door for the longest time turned out to be the chapel door... which looks identical to the front door. Also, for the longest time I thought I was trying to get into Lord Alan's bedroom (by dropping in from above) but it turns out I was trying to brute-force my way into another puzzle up on the roof. Once I realized my error (which made me quit the FM in disgust ~10 years ago, as I felt that the author was punishing me for being creative) things got right on track again.

Rating: 8/10. It has aged much better than the Basement, but the challenge rating has also been upped. Playing this on 'Sneak' is a real challenge.

"Lord Alan's Factory"

Garrett is given a series of strange codes and hired to break into Lord Alan's monstrous industrial complex to determine their purpose. What he finds is far worse than a mega-scale drilling operation.

This FM held a dubious award for quite some time: Largest level in a FM. Using the 'express elevator' takes 3:05 minutes to get from the bottom to the top, while it 'only' takes eight seconds of straight falling to get from the top to the bottom down the central shaft (yes, I timed it). I think the factory is even larger vertically than the Von Braun in System Shock 2. The problem is that all that space is almost entirely filler space, only made vast because the factory is supposed to be enormous. Exploring isn't as rewarding as one would think, even for loot and that optional exploration objective.

As a result it's a total slog playing this. You start close to the bottom and have to go almost all the way to the top... then go all the way back down to the bottom, and then scramble across the entire factory for a plot twist-objective... and the highest difficulty level has not one, not two, but THREE timed objectives. Fortunately two of them are quite forgiving and there are plenty of clocks around the place... but I still only recommend it to taffers who are familiar with the factory. The 'Thief'-difficulty level is hard enough, especially with all the extra objectives that pop up in the middle of things. (Want to make your life easier? Don't read a single Hammerite Scripture. One less busybody objective to worry about.)

Enemy-wise the guards are back to using scripted patrols to be somewhat unpredictable, but the large spaces (and ample supply of Gas Arrows) makes the guards an almost trivial affair. The new enemies are another matter entirely, but that's more due to them spawning in out of thin air, rather than representing any real threat. They're also quite comical in appearance, which I felt was a little off-putting.

This FM also holds one of the coolest secrets I've ever seen: Just steal the Hand of St. Fera when you come across it, you'll see what I mean.

Rating: 6.5/10. What starts out as a humongous and promising adventure quickly descends into seemingly endless trekking. It still has to be seen to be believed.

All three Lord Alan FMs were made by the same author, who is clearly quite brilliant but also shows signs of Modder's Madness. In all three cases the act of 'getting inside' is a needlessly lengthy process (particularly in Fortress) and the main theme of all three FMs is Large Environments, Long Texts and Key Hunts. Despite all that the Lord Alan-trilogy is worth a play, just keep in mind what you're signing up for before playing.

One can only wonder what marvels could have risen from further adventures from/of Lord Alan...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Completed Saint of Redmound.

Not too hard and nothing new (at its time) or spectacular, but a nice, solid old T1 mission.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Tried Varyx Obelisk for T1, but the constant music is too much of a turn-off for me, when I can't turn it off. It's not like Garret is walking around with an iPod and plugs in his ears, is it?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Completed Geller's Pride.

Just like Saint of Redmound it's not too hard and nothing new (at its time) or spectacular, but a nice, solid old T1 mission. No supernatural stuff, though.
Only used 1:20, so it's quite short, almost as short as the very earliest classic T1 missions.

Outdoors area, sewers and Lord Geller's secret place felt rather empty, but the mansion itself was very good, and with at least four possible points of entry.
A nice touch (which is too rarely seen) was the very different writing styles of the scrolls and diaries lying about.

cowking

Scholar
Been having the itch again, would like to play a good castle robbery fm (something like heart of lone salvation or full moon fever for TDM) that isn't a stupid linear keyhunt. Any recommendations?

pavis

Educated
Been having the itch again, would like to play a good castle robbery fm (something like heart of lone salvation or full moon fever for TDM) that isn't a stupid linear keyhunt. Any recommendations?
You can try Lord Alan's fortress for T2 or Better Off dead (first mission) if you like gothic vibe

Krilmar

Educated
Finished Feast of Pilgrims and The Builder's Paradise. Can't decide which one of the two I like the best but Into the Odd was definitely the winner in my book. Also played Rose Cottage (as per Unkillable Cat recommendation) and Malazar's Inscrutable Tower. Really enjoyed this type of gameplay, any other puzzle/hidden collectables/unconventional FMs that you guys recommend?

Oh, also ran through Melancholy in Porto as I saw someone recommend it a few pages back. That was a really strange 2 mission campaign, to say the least. If I were to guess this must be the author's first mission. Loot all over the ground, big empty corridors, really weird texture and painting choices and but the most annoying thing was the ambient track that was just looping and looping driving me insane.

pavis

Educated
Really enjoyed this type of gameplay, any other puzzle/hidden collectables/unconventional FMs that you guys recommend?
Coaxing the spirit is excellent, fabulous silent hill ambiance and if you're more into detective story you can try Waterfront racket, also really good.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
My first impression was not very good, so I decided to skip it, but was curious what other think of it.
It got quite good reviews, but I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread before, so I figured it's probably more original that actually good.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
My first impression was not very good, so I decided to skip it, but was curious what other think of it.
It got quite good reviews, but I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread before, so I figured it's probably more original that actually good.

Because I had free time I did a quick run-through of it.

It's a parkour-exercise track for Thief. It relies heavily upon 'sliding' on sloped scenery to reach places, and you'll be abusing the Diagonal Movement-glitch to its extreme. It's a great FM to help you learn those tricks, but otherwise it's an enormous pain in the ass. There are 30 fruits in total and you need to find 20 of them on Expert to meet the loot requirement. I legged it out once I had 20, I couldn't be arsed to try to find the others.

"The Spider Cave" is another similar FM by the same author, where you're trying to climb out of a pit via a series of tunnels. Again it tests your parkour-abilities as there's a open central shaft which has platforming obstacles.

Keep in mind that both of these FMs are made by KoMaG, who was very big on making training missions or missions that explored certain aspects of the Dark Engine, both to help players and modders.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom