Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
3070 will be for 1440p, so I think the VRAM is fine. I could be wrong though. 3080 definitely should have had more.

As for Sony and discs, I'm surprised it's taken consoles this long to really press the issue. Same for Nintendo and that Mario collection. PC quickly went pretty much digital only a decade ago, and many popular console games are download only already (or require massive patches to work). Obviously consumers will accept it if you don't offer them a choice. I guess they've been sliding the dildo in slowly, but they could have gotten away with ramming it in faster IMO.

Stop saying this mate. This '1080p, 1440p, 4k card' segmenting bullshit is straight out of nvidias marketing department.

It's a £460 card in 2020. 4k should be what it's benched at with 1080 and 1440p considered legacy.
Fuck 4K. It's the biggest waste of money for PC or console. Who the fuck pays more than double price for hardware just to play 4K with sub 60 framerate, when you can have the same good looking game at 1440p at 60-120 fps and with hardware half the price. And we are not even talking about the price of the monitor, TV.

Generic-Giant-Spider

He was a PC stunt to replace Peter Parker with a nigger-spic. They almost made him gay too.

I like that he feels designed by whiteys that want to rimjob black people. Comes out wearing typical hood shit, has rap/hip hop sounding music for fight scenes, saves a bus headed for Harlem. Pure cake.

Cromwell

Arcane
I like that he feels designed by whiteys that want to rimjob black people. Comes out wearing typical hood shit, has rap/hip hop sounding music for fight scenes, saves a bus headed for Harlem. Pure cake.

hes afro latino so its not only blacks they wanted.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I looked up prices and I can wait.

Over $600 for the non-digital version and $90 for some games. I'm not that desperate.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
-series S seems overpriced compared to digital PS5
-non-digital PS5 seems overpriced compared to series X

gamepass : a really good deal, especially great for parents. i already did get my moneys worth from it and at the same time my youngest kid doesnt ever need to buy games because there s so much stuff in game pass. my subscription runs till september 2022 and i bought most of it during speciall offers so i only payed something like 100 Euro for that.

exclusives : big meh, Demons Souls was the reason i bought a PS3 many years ago but all the other sony stuff is (for my tastes) shit, god of war/uncharted... those games are all soo fucking boring graphics demos. same for microsofts stuff though. i havent seen a good console exclusive i care about in a long time.

my family is gonna stay with PC(me), PC(teenage son), xbox one s (youngest son), Thermomix (wife) for our gaming needs.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Fuck 4K. It's the biggest waste of money for PC or console. Who the fuck pays more than double price for hardware just to play 4K with sub 60 framerate, when you can have the same good looking game at 1440p at 60-120 fps and with hardware half the price. And we are not even talking about the price of the monitor, TV.

OLED displays only come in 4k, HDR (real ones) displays only come in 4k.

Your 144 hertz is all well and good, but it's 144 frames of dogshit because it's being outputted by a 1000:1 contrast ratio IPS panel.

I'd love a 1440p panel from a real display technology, unfortunately they don't exist.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Current race theory and college indoctrination preaches that culture and race are basically the same, and reinforces the stupid fucking idea that if you're black you're supposed to be what Morales is.

Your 144 hertz is all well and good, but it's 144 frames of dogshit because it's being outputted by a 1000:1 contrast ratio IPS panel.

I'd love a 1440p panel from a real display technology, unfortunately they don't exist.

There are good VA panels that offer 144hz with 3000:1 contrast. A bias light also massively improves the blacks. Not an OLED, but plenty good enough. Also OLED monitors are insanely priced, and I don't use a TV to game at a desk with mouse and keyboard, so...

The Decline

Arcane

There are good VA panels that offer 144hz with 3000:1 contrast. A bias light also massively improves the blacks. Not an OLED, but plenty good enough. Also OLED monitors are insanely priced, and I don't use a TV to game at a desk with mouse and keyboard, so...

They are also burn in proof and the colors won't degrade.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane

Current race theory and college indoctrination preaches that culture and race are basically the same, and reinforces the stupid fucking idea that if you're black you're supposed to be what Morales is.

VA technology by its very nature is ill suited to fast refresh. The pixel structure that give it it's higher contrast ratio means it can't switch as rapidly as TN or IPS. So VA panel all have a smear/dark ghosting effect. Not too bad for me as I don't give a fuck about 144hz, but it defeats the entire purpose of fast refresh monitors. VA panels also have shite off angle viewing and gamma shift which can crush blacks with head on viewing. Fast refresh exists because the underlying technology of LCD is dogshit, they have to push these absurd frequences to counter the abysmal pixel response rate.

The fact you're mentioning 3000:1 contrast as some kind of benchmark says it all. Bias lighting? why don't you get a torch and shine it directly onto your screen? that'll improve the percieved black level as well... Ohh wait no it won't, because 90 percent of monitors have an anti glare coating which adds at a cataract over the image.

Samsung needs to stop being dog eating korean faggots, put LCD tech to bed, and start pumping out large OLED panels alongside LG. Enough is enough.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
VA technology by its very nature is ill suited to fast refresh. The pixel structure that give it it's higher contrast ratio means it can't switch as rapidly as TN or IPS. So VA panel all have a smear/dark ghosting effect. Not too bad for me as I don't give a fuck about 144hz, but it defeats the entire purpose of fast refresh monitors. VA panels also have shite off angle viewing and gamma shift which can crush blacks with head on viewing. Fast refresh exists because the underlying technology of LCD is dogshit, they have to push these absurd frequences to counter the abysmal pixel response rate.

The fact you're mentioning 3000:1 contrast as some kind of benchmark says it all. Bias lighting? why don't you get a torch and shine it directly onto your screen? that'll improve the percieved black level as well... Ohh wait no it won't, because 90 percent of monitors have an anti glare coating which adds at a cataract over the image.

There are quality VA panels now with very low response times, and high refresh helps tremendously as well, making the smeary blacks issue much, much less of a problem. Not eliminated obviously, but not anywhere near as bad as it used to be. If your only standard is OLED blacks and you refuse anything else though then no, it's not going to meet your expectations. However I'm talking about PC monitors, not OLED TVs, so you're comparing apples and oranges. OLED monitors are like $5,000 still, and have their own flaws. I do look forward to them being more mainstream on PC.

The PS5 port of Spiderman seems to require 55GBs as opposed to 73 on PS4. Not much to speculate on nextgen game install sizes given we don't know if that particular port's increase in asset quality is as significant as PS3->PS4 ports (where PS4 versions could be several times larger than PS3), but it's something.

After using the compact command on win10 game installs to see some of them shrink to less than half the size while running better (hitman 2, nioh) I got the impression current gen install sizes were particularly bloated.

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The PS5 port of Spiderman seems to require 55GBs as opposed to 73 on PS4. Not much to speculate on nextgen game install sizes given we don't know if that particular port's increase in asset quality is as significant as PS3->PS4 ports (where PS4 versions could be several times larger than PS3), but it's something.

After using the compact command on win10 game installs to see some of them shrink to less than half the size while running better (hitman 2, nioh) I got the impression current gen install sizes were particularly bloated.

Czerny said that the games on PS5 can be smaller, because they don't have to have the same asset 100 times on the disk because the SSD is faster.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
Don't you mean the other way around? Series S costs 299$ while digital only PS5 costs 399$.

the digital-only-PS5 has A LOT better hardware than series S for only 100$ more .... thats why i think series S is seriously overpriced.......you get more than twice the GPU power, more cpu power, more ram, more/faster storage, more everything..... for only 100$ more.

imho reasonable pricing - related to the supposed power of the hardware - would be like this :

series X: $ 550
PS 5 : $ 500
PS 5 digital : $ 450
series S : $ 250

....so i personally was rather suprised how expensive series S ended up and how cheap PS5 digital.

my youngest son will get his PC next year and until then the xbox one S will be good enough, so i ll likely never buy a console again until i have grandchildren. ......but if i had no pc and had to chose a "next-gen console" it would be the series X - mostly because of game pass though, not the slightly better hardware or any exclusives.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Product codenames for the yet unreleased GeForce RTX 30 series have been exposed by Gigabyte.

GIGABYTE-GeForce-RTX-3080-20GB.png

unknown.png

Explains the non-existent launch.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane

There are quality VA panels now with very low response times, and high refresh helps tremendously as well, making the smeary blacks issue much, much less of a problem. Not eliminated obviously, but not anywhere near as bad as it used to be. If your only standard is OLED blacks and you refuse anything else though then no, it's not going to meet your expectations. However I'm talking about PC monitors, not OLED TVs, so you're comparing apples and oranges. OLED monitors are like $5,000 still, and have their own flaws. I do look forward to them being more mainstream on PC.

Those VA's unfortunately fall apart when they're not cranking out max frames. This is my point, they're having to festoon these displays with absurd technologies to keep them relevent because the underlying display tecy is pushed to the limit and long past its sell by date. This is all Samsungs fault, the almighty margin on LCD's was higher than on OLED (currently). So instead of re-tooling those factories for the superior technology we had to deal with overdriven panels backlit by retarded local dimming, and their marketing juggernaught flogging bollocks like quantum dot. The almighty 1000:1 IPS and 3000:1 VA has been the standard and baseline for as long as I have been actively following display technologies now, which is over a decade. Absolute madness, and undeniable stagnation. Thankfully this might be changing as Samsung announced they're re-investing in OLED.

Decent Monitors actually equipped with this shite is expensive as fuck too, some of these things go for £700 to over a grand depending on spec and size. Whereas 55 inch OLED's regularly go on sale for around a grand. The monitor market is in the dark ages currently.

:negative:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Bring back the CRT, I say. If we can still have vinyl records in 2020 why not widescreen CRTs. I'm being 100% serious.
I would love a good CRT, playing all the old games like back in the old days. Imagine Might and Magic VI or the Infinity Engine games with native resolution on a good CRT!
But these monstrosities took up so much space, were heavy and burnt your eyes out, so with heavy heart but I have to say that I wouldn't use them with clear https://www.google.com/search?clien...UKEwjMpOKR7fXrAhXR-ioKHcAeC-oQkeECKAB6BAggECg
conscious.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I would love a good CRT, playing all the old games like back in the old days. Imagine Might and Magic VI or the Infinity Engine games with native resolution on a good CRT!
But these monstrosities took up so much space, were heavy and burnt your eyes out, so with heavy heart but I have to say that I wouldn't use them with clear
conscious.

I watched some video a while back that said it was impossible even as a niche product because the production lines required would be extremely expensive as would the shipping of such heavy items. It's a bummer.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Bring back the CRT, I say. If we can still have vinyl records in 2020 why not widescreen CRTs. I'm being 100% serious.
But these monstrosities took up so much space, were heavy and burnt your eyes out, so with heavy heart but I have to say that I wouldn't use them with clear
conscious.

I keep an old 17" CRT around for retro gaming. What I really miss most about CRTs is their ability to handle so many different resolutions. So, you can play old games at 640x480 without it being a blurry mess while still being able to play somewhat newer titles at 1600x1200.

A 17" CRT isn't really *that* big or heavy, so it's worth tracking one down if you play a lot of older titles.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Anyway, getting things back to the console war, I'm more excited about the supposedly upgraded Switch that will be coming out than either the new Sony or Microsoft console. But that's probably because I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the Gamecube, so there's quite a few titles that have built up over the years that I'd be interested in playing.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I watched the new Spider-Man trailer, you get to be black this time?

What's the appeal, a teenage girl being the villain?

Also Spider-Man has electric powers now?

Damn, Spider-Man has changed a lot since I was a kid:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom