Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline There's nothing more immersive than music

Unwanted

†††

Patron
You also walk all the time in all games for better immershun, right?

Generic-Giant-Spider

"Seeing makes you believe.

But hearing makes you feel."

- Some supply teacher I had in high-school that I think may have been gay.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I mute the music for any multiplayer game I play and for a few endless/roguelike games I play on the side to listen to podcast, since these tend to have really shitty and generic music, and after 40 hours you have heard everything a thousand times. But for any single player rpg the music is a core part of the experience.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
music is the absolutest low browest of low brows anywhere!
if music is playing in the background of ANYTHING - its made for morons
true story
its emotional manipulation for animals, i triggers an internal response to stimula that aretn there
a fake, an illusion
spray pheromones on lizards and they go fuck, doodle a tune into a morons ear and he sees trash as mythical
kys faggots

actual
m u s i c
is separate

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
I suggest you plebs watch a movie with sound off, subs only. Descover long forgotten enlightenment (except for that one recent one).
Also, its funny to disable sound on videos and watch peoples faces and mouths move when they talk. Its good training to look for tells.

Gastrick

Cipher
The music in rpgs can get repetitive so I mute it after a while and play external music or none at all. There are exceptions of course.

Anyone else mute music when given the option?
That's retarded because you can always mute the audio on your computer.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
To me nothing breaks immersion in FPP games more than music in the ear when I'm sneaking around, so I always turn it off. No matter how good it is it will eventually get annoying anyway.

I guess I have become more "autistic" over the years in that regard, since I don't remember having that problem with Thief 2 back in the days, but now I couldn't bring myself to replay it due to the constant music in the second mission.
OTOH I used to be a number cruncher, and even had a calculator ready when playing some games, but nowadays I play much more by feel. So in that regard I'm definitely less of an autist than I used to be. Funny thing is that I'm much better at the games now that I used to number crunch, while I'm worse at the games in which music bothers me most.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of ambient, natural sounds to enhance the mood and atmosphere, especially in FPP games. But I don't like the idea of Garret sneaking around with an iPod and plugs in his ears in Thief missions. And the whole idea of "combat music" that alerts you in Morrowind even when you have your back turned to the enemy got old very quickly.

In other games I like some tracks, but most of them starts grating on my ears rather quickly, so on the balance I turn the music off.

But I can understand the nostalgia feeling people have to game music. It's what I most fondly remember from The Faery Tale Adventure, for example.

yes, when I'm walking through a forest I expect to hear 'doot doot doo' coming from a mysterious piano somewhere. Anyone else mute music when given the option?

You don't have earphones and some tunes while on a run?

:what:

somewhatgiggly

Scholar
Remember when whats-his-name from Avernum was like 'I'll put in some (most likely royalty-free music) for 100k' and then got 98k and didn't bother...or how the whole series and related games have no music what so ever?

Fun fucking times, not. One of the only times I was glad to have a RPG music playlist on hand for both Avernum EFTP and Queen's Wish.

Life is so fucking dull and boring without music of all types; the god damn walkman and 3.5mm headphone jack probably helped set off the true modern world. To say nothing of enjoying a nice fluty tune while walking through woods or drums at camps or strings in castles and caves in RPGs.

Last edited:
The thread title is absolutely correct. As a statement, it's succinct and eloquent, summarizing many peripheral insights. I opened the thread with certain expectations.

Unfortunately it seems that the OP is retarded and wrote it by accident.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
See CRPG Addict.
CRPG Addict is color-blind and tone-deaf; the problem is that his immense arrogance is such that he refuses to acknowledge these debilities affect his perceptions of games. :M

Tone deaf? Because he like jazz?

Like me, he obviously prefers to listen to music (I prefer Prog, though) instead of having it as background sound.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Music is definitely super important. Elevates a game.

Feel this shit. It's some powerful stuff. One of the most memorable parts. Sounds like shoes squeaking on tile floors somehow makes this track just that much more intense. Fucking insanely immersive track. I mean I can go on and on about games that make the soundtrack work, but it'll just be endless YouTube soundtrack videos.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom