Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Call of Saregnar - a Betrayal at Krondor-inspired RPG

rohand

Cipher
Congrats on everything so far, Rhuantavan

You seem to be on a victory road regarding both the game, support from a notable figure related to it and overall attitude in game development.

Here's to a bright saga with many games!

garren

Arcane
Patron
Rhuantavan made any dungeons yet? Hopefully they're more M&M/Daggerfall like (except the size maybe lol), dungeon layout design was one of the less good parts of Krondor, just too many repeating hallways and empty rooms.

I mean, whatever you decide, I hope the visual and overall layout design is a bit more tight from krondor at least.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Rhuantavan made any dungeons yet? Hopefully they're more M&M/Daggerfall like (except the size maybe lol), dungeon layout design was one of the less good parts of Krondor, just too many repeating hallways and empty rooms.

I mean, whatever you decide, I hope the visual and overall layout design is a bit more tight from krondor at least.

There will be no classic "dungeons" in CoS as I find the concept silly (as is their existence). Instead I’ll have natural caves, abandoned mines, underground tunnels (aqueducts), etc, which all have their logical place in the world. BaK didn't excel in their dungeon designs, that's certainly an area I'd like to improve.

Ninjerk

Arcane

There will be no classic "dungeons" in CoS as I find the concept silly (as is their existence). Instead I’ll have natural caves, abandoned mines, underground tunnels (aqueducts), etc, which all have their logical place in the world. BaK didn't excel in their dungeon designs, that's certainly an area I'd like to improve.
To this day I wonder where this fascination was bred from.

Codex Year of the Donut

Maybe the fascination with dungeons was due to a particular pnp RPG that was popular?

Darth Canoli

Arcane

Dungeon Keeper answered to your question...

8f84eb11c8ee78e840d2763ade32da3a.jpg
2e4a418b2516ea43d3e9d55c951d982f.22.jpg

Ninjerk

Arcane

Maybe the fascination with dungeons was due to a particular pnp RPG that was popular?
And whence from there, retard?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
If you guys wanna know about dungeons, all you gotta do is ask... I even visited some that were like Rhu Rhu is describing where they seem natural parts of the landscape. Also, re: this game reminding me of my EverQuest exploits.
Another screenie.

That last pic reminds me of where I used to kill skeletons and spiders.
cool_story_bro.png
cool story bro

You bet your ass! Check out the resemblance:

0TjN71.jpg

I was a level 50 Bard who could run so fast that I could escape anything but it was dangerous because you could easily fly off a mountain if you're not careful. But it felt good to be untouchable, even if I broke my ankles a few times. Then when the new world was discovered, I went there by myself because I can go invisible, levitate, and then zip through a forest like that Jedi Speeder Bike chase. Feels good, and I was kind of baked, and I kept looking at the pretty sky:

0TjPFc.jpg

Then suddenly my invisibility broke! Then my levitation, and then my speed... It was like I could smell the mud as I landed and started trudging slowly along... all my song's effects dispelled. It's ok... just a few seconds and it will start again. But then suddenly I'm covered in web and can hardly even walk. I turn around and:

0TjFIK.jpg

One punch almost killed me, but I actually died from both poison and my blood burning.

Here is that camp which sparked my memory last week too:

0TjcoP.jpg

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
I see I've been neglecting all of you. Here is a screenie of the latest thing I've been working on: The Avanmoor castle wall. Cheers!
QhZcj7s.png
Looks good, needs some lighting tho to not look flat. What do the soldiers use to see at night? Probably want some sconces and directional lighting.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Well, the grass is missing from the shot, but I agree, the scene is a bit flat and needs details. This is only the first pass though. Also the surroundings of the walls need to be clear of trees and other big vegetation, so there is no cover for the enemy, that's also why it may appear a bit bland. Lighting, yes, I will add torch sconces or a brazier or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom