Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Horror - cosmic horror adventure/RPG with 1-bit aesthetics

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
Apparently it's based heavily on the Arkham Horror board game, I've never played it but from reading the wiki it does seem like one of the devs' main inspirations, too bad they fucked up translating it into something that could work as a single player videogame.

Ah, that explains it. I've watched some letsplays and it struck me that it's just a series of event cards one after another, not enough overall narrative for something I'd consider an RPG. Arkham Horror did immediately came to mind. I wouldn't say they fucked it up, it's obviously working, 2k overwhelmingly positive reviews is no joke even for a released game and this will grow even more after it releases fully. The description states "in this roguelite-style cosmic horror RPG." That tells me that the author had problem describing it so that an average gamer would understand. You can't just say "it's an Arkham Horror clone" in marketing and the presentation is too different from what your average person perceives as a board game.

This also means that the combat is pretty much done, Arkham Horror has the same simplistic and random (due to monster movement and available resources) thing.

orcinator

Liturgist
I wouldn't say they fucked it up, it's obviously working, 2k overwhelmingly positive reviews is no joke even for a released game and this will grow even more after it releases fully.

They managed to make something marketable but being popular doesn't make it any more of a game.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
I wouldn't say they fucked it up, it's obviously working, 2k overwhelmingly positive reviews is no joke even for a released game and this will grow even more after it releases fully.

They managed to make something marketable but being popular doesn't make it any more of a game.

Well, I won't argue what is and isn't a game but Arkham Horror was p fun when I played it even taking into account lots of deadly randomness, simplistic combat and overall clunkiness. In fact, I'm still wondering when will FFG get up from their asses and make a digital version so that I can play it some more.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
0.9.15 ‘NEVER-ENDING SUMMER’
57496580bd282156e89314064404a2b888c56f03.png

Major features for this patch include:

‘NEVER-ENDING SUMMER’ content
  • this content update comes with a new mystery that has three endings and an optional boss fight
  • new unlockable character, coming with a unique item and four new perks
  • eight new items, including an OCCULT DIARY and HEAVY-DUTY FLASHLIGHT
  • two new macabre endings
  • 13 new events coming with an otherworldly adventure
  • test your skill and knowledge of the game with a new unlockable backstory
NEW OLD GOD
  • a new OLD GOD is added for the first time in WoH's history
  • unlock YGOTHAEG by obtaining certain achievements
  • YGOTHAEG comes with Its own set of events

BALANCE
  • balance changes include a new starting perk for HARU bringing him in line to other characters
  • STEAK KNIFE's base speed decreased a bit (65->75)
  • minor changes to the way new events are being chosen, resulting in more predictability when trying to get certain achievements

WHAT'S NEXT?
  • 0.9.16: Custom enemies! (ETA: early October)
  • 0.9.17: Halloween content update! (ETA: Halloween)
67884b08b6dbf0d1269ff7090825cce436f608b8.png

Other patch notes
  • hotkey-related crash when inspecting item/status cards fixed
  • various typos fixed
  • blue gem-related crash when investigating a modded event fixed
  • STRONG ATTACK shouldn't say it costs 0 TUs anymore
  • dodging now saves and loads properly during combat
  • medkit exploit fixed
  • abolish spell correctly lowers the enemy damage now
  • invisibility spell shouldn't result in red avatar anymore
  • perks are now clickable as they should be
  • sacrificing an ally correctly triggers the k'npha ritual now
  • combat sequence doesn't add a blank area after turns with 8 actions anymore
  • action speed in combat description now takes nicotine rush into account
  • inventory storage should now be much more consistent without ghost items taking up space
  • EELS mystery ending screen is now consistent with KANA
  • architecture student can now be correctly sacrificed to OETARU
  • HAPPI COAT and LUCKY EARRING provide the stated bonus
  • pharmacy dog exploit fixed
  • itm-036 bottle [sludge] throwing damage increased
  • bath exploit fixed
  • chibi investigators randomly walking all over themselves fixed
  • SACRIFICE YOUR ALLY action won't go over 200 TUs anymore
  • the double mouse issue shouldn't happen when using the stretch option

If you find any issues, bugs, or typos in the game, as always please report them to our official bug tracking sheet.
Thanks for reading!

Lurker47

Savant

• this content update comes with a new mystery that has three endings and an optional boss fight
NEW OLD GOD

BALANCE
  • balance changes include a new starting perk for HARU bringing him in line to other characters
  • minor changes to the way new events are being chosen, resulting in more predictability when trying to get certain achievements

WHAT'S NEXT?

Other patch notes
  • various typos fixed
  • medkit exploit fixed
  • inventory storage should now be much more consistent without ghost items taking up space
  • bath exploit fixed

If you find any issues, bugs, or typos in the game, as always please report them to our official bug tracking sheet.
Thanks for reading!
The best thing to a happen to a game that's most criticized for a lack of content is to get a free content update.

Sotomonte

Learned
It's funny how many people gave up on this game just for being a couple of months without updates.

I'm not a big fan of EAs, but if you buy one you know what to expect: erratic update times (one month you can have two or three updates each week and another month you can have none).

orcinator

Liturgist

NEW OLD GOD

BALANCE

WHAT'S NEXT?

Other patch notes
  • various typos fixed
  • medkit exploit fixed
  • bath exploit fixed

Thanks for reading!
The best thing to a happen to a game that's most criticized for a lack of content is to get a free content update.
Continuing to work on an unfinished game is now called a "free content update"

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
It's funny how many people gave up on this game just for being a couple of months without updates.

I'm not a big fan of EAs, but if you buy one you know what to expect: erratic update times (one month you can have two or three updates each week and another month you can have none).
I understand the reason why there was a big gap in this one was because the guy was doing something for some game collection. Dread X Collection I think?

Sotomonte

Learned
I understand the reason why there was a big gap in this one was because the guy was doing something for some game collection. Dread X Collection I think?

Aha, so it's true.

I found a gameplay on Youtube of that game (or collection of minigames) a few weeks ago and I remember one of them reminded me a lot to World of Horrors for its art and sounds. Now I have looked at it and yes, apparently it was a collaboration of the same developer using the same engine.

Deleted member 28561

This is the most promising game old Hermes knows of but has not played yet because early access detracts from the experience of the complete game.
The game wears that Junji Ito inspiration on its face, huh. It really apes his style. Unfortunately, it looks like a colossal meme project made out of spoonfed internet culture, and its publisher backs that impression up. From what everyone is saying it doesn't seem like there's a meaningful game yet beneath the admittedly cool Machintosh aesthetic. I'll wait until it's out of early access, and maybe I'll swing around to it. Kazuo Umezu would have been better inspiration, btw.
Many old games like that, superb art but not much beneath. To me good art is enough. Why do you think Kazuo Umezu is better source of inspiration than Junji Ito?
I found a gameplay on Youtube of that game (or collection of minigames) a few weeks ago and I remember one of them reminded me a lot to World of Horrors for its art and sounds. Now I have looked at it and yes, apparently it was a collaboration of the same developer using the same engine.
The Thing In The Lake?

lightbane

Arcane
his is the most promising game old Hermes knows of but has not played yet because early access detracts from the experience of the complete game.
You can always try a "demo"...

Many old games like that, superb art but not much beneath. To me good art is enough. Why do you think Kazuo Umezu is better source of inspiration than Junji Ito?
Dunno about the first one, but Ito's stories became unintentionally hilarious for me. The Uzumaki one starts great, but it was clearly stretched to the limit, as the story last too long and the situations become more and more stupid and forced. Ito works best when he writes short stories, although even then you need a massive suspension of disbelief, as his characters have less survival instincts and intelligence than a drunk lemming starring in a modern "horror" movie.

Since this game the player is in control, horror is less effective because normally you won't intentionally shove yourself in a weird-shaped tunnel that will stretch you in unnatural and horrifying ways, right?

Lurker47

Savant
The Uzumaki one starts great, but it was clearly stretched to the limit, as the story last too long and the situations become more and more stupid and forced.
Uzumaki's best moments in terms of outright horror are its first few chapters. But, aside from some incredibly silly middle chapters (including psychic baby vampires), I found it really interesting to see it evolve as a story. To see standard Japanese horror stories spiral (haha) into a larger horror setting was fascinating to read. Not that it was particularly well though-out or anything but it's a novel experience. The ending chapters lack some of the punch of the earliest chapters but the exponentially absurd scenarios add to a surreal, helpless atmosphere. This is opposed to Gyo which just gets silly and meanders around aimlessly.

Now all of this would serve as a much better inspiration for a horror game instead of unrelated vignettes that reduce Junji Ito to "Japanese body horror man who is maybe sometimes cosmic or surreal"

become more and more stupid and forced.
Ito works best when he writes short stories, although even then you need a massive suspension of disbelief, as his characters have less survival instincts and intelligence than a drunk lemming starring in a modern "horror" movie.

Since this game the player is in control, horror is less effective because normally you won't intentionally shove yourself in a weird-shaped tunnel that will stretch you in unnatural and horrifying ways, right?
Something, something insanity curse, something something cosmic babble

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Eh, Ito isn't really about plot or sense. His works are nightmare-ish in the most direct sense of that word - most of them would've been totally natural as a bad dream because it's not like nightmares tend to be 100% logical and reasonable. I guess it would've been fantastic to see David Lynch adapt one of his works (say, Uzumaki), especially while adhering to the original as little as possible.

I'm not sure if that dreadful atmosphere ties into the gameplay that well - I mean, I can't say that WoH is scary or even that much creepy. I find it to be more like fascinating and/or aesthetically pleasing because stylisation is kept up so well. Outside of that, any kind of correct gameplay is quite contrary to the atmosphere, especially in the early day of absolutely broken game rules and unhinged power - it's really the monsters who should've been afraid of you, whether you're a carpenter hammer demolition engine, highly popular mahou shojou or pistol whipping maniac who never needs bullets because his pistol whip is that good.

Deleted member 28561

Eh, Ito isn't really about plot or sense. His works are nightmare-ish in the most direct sense of that word - most of them would've been totally natural as a bad dream because it's not like nightmares tend to be 100% logical and reasonable. I guess it would've been fantastic to see David Lynch adapt one of his works (say, Uzumaki), especially while adhering to the original as little as possible.
Pope Amole the second steals words out of Hermes' mouth. Ito is about the horror of dreams, of obsessions that make no sense on waking. Dream logic always applies.
Why do you think Kazuo Umezu is better source of inspiration than Junji Ito?
Less of a "meme" for one.
Popularity is no argument against a work or artist nor for it.
Dunno about the first one, but Ito's stories became unintentionally hilarious for me. The Uzumaki one starts great, but it was clearly stretched to the limit, as the story last too long and the situations become more and more stupid and forced. Ito works best when he writes short stories, although even then you need a massive suspension of disbelief, as his characters have less survival instincts and intelligence than a drunk lemming starring in a modern "horror" movie.

Old Hermes would go into tunnel but you are right about his shorter stories being his best. What I wonder is why Kazuo Umezu is better. He is popular too and in my opinion not a better writer or artist.

lightbane

Arcane
omething, something insanity curse, something something cosmic babble

Lovecraft did it before, and better IMO.
When the heroine runs away from a bunch of crazed pregnant women menacing her with drills (because SPIRALS!!!), and then keeps going with her daily life as if nothing had happened, it becomes unintentionally ridiculous. And the gang kids spawning SPIRAL TORNADOES!!! from shouting. And her poor boyfriend who repeatedly states to leave this accursed town but keeps being ignored (funnily enough it was mentioned that some people DID leave when things were getting too crazy).

most of them would've been totally natural as a bad dream because it's not like nightmares tend to be 100% logical and reasonable.

If everyone is acting retarded because it's a nightmare, it is more understandable. The pilot chapter for Uzumaki was quite good as well, and the MC girl wasn't as passive as the main work that showed afterwards.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
0.9.16 ‘AUTUMN MODDING UPDATE’
4b393ad07e951ef965d7afe81225490f1f7bba4e.png

NEW FEATURE: CUSTOM ENEMIES
  • included with the local game files is an example of a custom enemy
  • two steps forward, one step back: for this version I had to remove an option of enabling/disabling events. This temporary change, however, allowed the modding content to be back on macOS platform. Enabling/Disabling should be back for the next update.
  • what's next for modding? Chaining events/triggering enemy encounters as an event result. That will eventually lead to custom mysteries!

IMPORTANT CHANGES
  • EVT-140 'CASTED' crash fixed
  • fixed a BITE-related crash happening during combat

BALANCE
  • MONUMENT scales a bit differently, raising its cost slightly faster
  • events requiring HOLY CANDLE lower 1% less DOOM each
  • Botanist mystery's ending D now raises doom
  • MONKEY WRENCH's speed lowered (75->80)
  • having MONKEY WRENCH equipped speeds up the FORCE MANHOLE OPEN action, similar to CROWBAR
  • H-D FLASHLIGHT's base chance to hit increased (70->75)
  • YASHIRO stats reshuffled
  • YASHIRO starts with a new item/status OMINOUS LETTER

WHAT'S NEXT?
bc9f8c4261466dfae5b304642191763404ea45a4.png

Other patch notes
  • injuries no longer can be healed before entering the doctor's office
  • BITE action is now properly affected by ITHOTU's effect
  • The special effect of both MAGICIAN and TIME WARPER is now properly explained in-game without cryptic log messages
  • MEDITATE combat action now properly costs 20TUs instead of 30
  • with BRONZE CRUCIFIX equipped you no longer can perform the sever combat action
  • visiting the police station is no longer free of YGOTHAEG's gaze
  • various typos fixed
  • knight-errant works properly in the coma mystery
  • mermaid mystery: monkey wrench works as said during the boss combat encounter
  • mermaid mystery: opening a manhole is generally faster
  • bulletin mystery: overlapping text fixed
  • dead pixels fixed
  • not even the witch will protect you from YGOTHAEG's gaze anymore

Thanks for reading!

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
0.9.17 ‘OCCULT CAPITAL OF JAPAN’
60c5454d1e390c960b1357d08565598bba1243a0.png

NEW FEATURE: CUSTOM ENEMIES
  • This content update comes with a reworked timeline system
  • Timelines will determine the endings of certain mysteries and encounters you get during your playthrough
  • Additionally, two new difficulties have been added: SCEPTIC and HARBINGER OF DOOM, allowing you to make your runs both slightly easier and slightly harder
  • Happy and safe Halloween!

WHAT'S NEXT?
  • 0.9.18: modding update!
bc9f8c4261466dfae5b304642191763404ea45a4.png

Other patch notes

• you can select all difficulties on character's screen
  • new palette added
  • Moriko's fifth outfit fix'd
  • scissor: correct string for the ritual's first move
  • added information about the timeline on the ending screen
  • household: increased the width of the ending text
  • MONUMENT's description shouldn't cause visual glitches now
  • SCEPTIC: one less mystery as intended
  • activity playthrough setting sets the difficulty to sceptic as said
  • corrected the number of endings visible in the mystery board screen to reflect new halloween content
  • fixed the upgrade screen crash
  • fixed the nice ring
  • removed discount opinion from shops that shouldn't have them
  • fixed vending machine
  • festival mystery: crash fixed
  • scissor mystery: crash fixed
  • Moriko's outfit fixed

Thanks for reading!

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Independent horror writers in the west have had three sources of inspiration for the past two decades: Lovecraft, J-horror, and I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. I read Bram Stoker's Dracula recently. Despite all the insinuations of those old gothic horror stories being cliche by "today's standards", it was the best work of horror literature I've ever read. I prefer actual stories with likeable characters over a bunch of nonsense for the sake of a "nightmarish atmosphere", and I prefer satisfying, thematically appropriate conclusions to "fuck you everyone's dead or in hell" endings. That being said, I've never read a Junji Ito comic; I have to wait a few more years before the Reddit stink surrounding his work clears off.

Vatnik Wumao
Independent horror writers in the west have had three sources of inspiration for the past two decades: Lovecraft, J-horror, and I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. I read Bram Stoker's Dracula recently. Despite all the insinuations of those old gothic horror stories being cliche by "today's standards", it was the best work of horror literature I've ever read. I prefer actual stories with likeable characters over a bunch of nonsense for the sake of a "nightmarish atmosphere", and I prefer satisfying, thematically appropriate conclusions to "fuck you everyone's dead or in hell" endings. That being said, I've never read a Junji Ito comic; I have to wait a few more years before the Reddit stink surrounding his work clears off.

Junji Ito's work is basically a roundabout way of pissing on Japanese society. Like his story about the guy who turns people's brains to mush by apologizing to them. It's not surprising that he's not all that popular in Japan.

lightbane

Arcane
Junji Ito's work is basically a roundabout way of pissing on Japanese society
That would explain why the characters in many of his stories act retarded, like the one with spirals everywhere to the point of stupidity, and the main character refusing to take the hint and leave the accursed town.

Also: Name of that story about deadly apologizing, please?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom