Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Wayward Realms - upcoming Daggerfall-like RPG from original Elder Scrolls developers - coming to Kickstarter

V_K

Arcane
I dunno, I've yet to see a low- or mid-budget UE game (BT4, Operencia) that wouldn't look like shit while running twice as slow as a similarly bad-looking Unity game (MMXL). Has better loading times though, I'll give it that.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I have trouble believing they actually had a potential investor with absolutely nothing to show tbh.

Paradox comes across as very gullible. They were bamboozled by Feargus and Mitsoda/Hardsuit Labs with their dangling nostalgia-bait. They see pedigree and that's enough, not unlike the rich family in Parasite. :M

HumanAndHalf

Literate
Paradox comes across as very gullible. They were bamboozled by Feargus and Mitsoda/Hardsuit Labs with their dangling nostalgia-bait. They see pedigree and that's enough, not unlike the rich family in Parasite. :M
They are not gullible, they just have a shitload of money lying around from people who buy their DLCs instead of pirating, with an added asset of having the VTM(B) license lying around without making any cash. And, to be fair, Mitsoda did his job as far as we know. It's not like Hardsuit themselves came to them with a pitch, right?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They are not gullible, they just have a shitload of money lying around from people who buy their DLCs instead of pirating, with an added asset of having the VTM(B) license lying around without making any cash. And, to be fair, Mitsoda did his job as far as we know. It's not like Hardsuit themselves came to them with a pitch, right?

High-trust wealthy people, yeah. They're not throwing money away just because, that's a great way to run a business into the ground. Additionally, Brian came up with the pitch.

The story and main cast was initially conceived in my living room. I helped develop the pitch for Hardsuit Labs and helped pitch the project to Paradox in Las Vegas.

Ka’ai Cluney: In late 2015, I saw that Paradox had acquired the World of Darkness IP. For a long time I’ve been friends with Brian Mitsoda, who was the writer on the original. So, maybe a little recklessly, I texted Brian and asked him if he would be interested in putting together a pitch. He said, ‘Okay’. Well, he was a little more excited than that, and probably within the first couple of hours I was at a bar, he was at home, and we were texting back and forth.

These two charlatans are now fired. :cool:

HumanAndHalf

Literate
These two charlatans are now fired. :cool:

Aw shiet, I thought paradox attached/contracted hardsuit to work on it after Brian pitched it. Dunno for charlatans, we will probably never know what game they wrote and "creatively directed," but at least we know that they are more successful in texting than Avellone.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have trouble believing they actually had a potential investor with absolutely nothing to show tbh.

Heh, I actually feel a bit for Paradox here. Trying their hardest to get into the RPG market, investing in a new franchise and revival of an old classic, but then as you say they get bamboozled at every corner by these supposed legends in the business. At least they saved 8 million bucks with Wayward Realms thanks to the nutty producer or whatever he was.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
How shit is the game looking, if say they get lucky and get investors? For someone who doesn't mind procedural generation.
the kind you send consolation bouquet to the investor ballsy enough to fund this crap

Unless the investor just straight up forces them to accept someone they point at as Project Lead, who will actually be able to... you know... WORK.

Codex Year of the Donut

They had nothing to show whatsoever. Remember, they couldn't even make a video because there was no footage to show at all.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They had nothing to show whatsoever. Remember, they couldn't even make a video because there was no footage to show at all.

Pedigree goes a long way with Swedes who have more money than sense. "They made Daggerfall, they must be competent!"

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
I think the text is posted somewhere here on the dex, or maybe buried on old archives of ancient Beth forums.

The interview is on the UESP wiki.

Some highlights of the interview I remember:
>Ted was obsessed with characters never betraying you -- if an NPC says he will do XYZ, then he'll do XYZ
>Ted was obsessed with tying groups in game to recognizable real life groups -- he's why the Imperial Legion became a bunch of Romans

It wasn't Ted but Ken Rolston that insisted on those.
Mah b. It's been a while.

Pedigree goes a long way with Swedes who have more money than sense. "They made Daggerfall, they must be competent!"

Bearing in mind as per my little leak, the only thing stopping Wayward Realms from getting that sweet herdy gerdy money was Vijay running his mouth about the great new Skyrim game. It was totes going to push Todd's shit in. He probably said that because he thought Daggerfall was uncool and devs were only interested in Skyrim games. But they were attracted to the project precisely because they wanted a game similar to Daggerfall. Not another Skyrim rip off. The sweeds would've happily thrown 8 million, possibly more. At a project that only existed in the mind of an autistic programmer, a you tuber, a deranged deviant boomer, and an Arab with delusions of grandeur and a big mouth.

LudensCogitet

Learned
(Julian is) obviously smart and has great vision, but can never seem to lock anything down.
Can someone give me evidence that he's smart?
I remember listening to the interview with Indigo Gaming and thinking he seemed like a talker who thought really well of himself, but I've never seen anything to back any of these claims of his intelligence up.
Daggerfall may be ambitious and have some good tech in it. It's also a buggy mess full of copy / pasted NPCs and generic fetch quests in a lifeless world.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
(Julian is) obviously smart and has great vision, but can never seem to lock anything down.
Can someone give me evidence that he's smart?
I remember listening to the interview with Indigo Gaming and thinking he seemed like a talker who thought really well of himself, but I've never seen anything to back any of these claims of his intelligence up.
Daggerfall may be ambitious and have some good tech in it. It's also a buggy mess full of copy / pasted NPCs and generic fetch quests in a lifeless world.
He pretty much single handedly coded Daggerfall from scratch with no budget.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
From the bottom of our hearts, thank you all for joining us on this grand adventure!!! We can't wait to show you all the amazing things we have planned, but for now, here is a small peek at one of our favorite looking races, the Cambion.

Cambion.png

Bulo

Scholar
From the bottom of our hearts, thank you all for joining us on this grand adventure!!! We can't wait to show you all the amazing things we have planned, but for now, here is a small peek at one of our favorite looking races, the Cambion.

Cambion.png

What is this homosexual Arab incubi a metaphor for?

Gastrick

Cipher
He pretty much single handedly coded Daggerfall from scratch with no budget.

He actually used a pre-built engine to make Daggerfall called XnGine from a previous Bethesda game called The Terminator: Future Shock.
I just found out though that he built the arena engine from scratch with two other assistants helping him, so still an impressive intellect.

Doesn't look like one line of code to me, but I know that it will never happen.

HumanAndHalf

Literate
>check out our new race, aumaua/godlikes from PoE / xivilai from TES

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
> check out what a gullible artist drew for free for a dead project, while Julian is in between jobs and hasn't been seen in weeks as usual, and beside that artist nobody did a single thing in the last year

Cambion.png

I'm glad to see that after a year of solid development we have, one sketch of a black Tiefling. I'll get my pet Israelite on the phone. I bet he'll be interested now.

Actually I need to chase him up about a few threads anyway. May have some M$ leaks because Silicon Valley Sheklebergs all know one another. Don't mind me. Carry on with your day.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
So I contacted the artist who drew that, figured I'd ask if he drew it for free like everyone else. These guys are too cheap to even hire an artist out of their pocket.

But my dark plans failed. This guy has too low of an IQ to understand simple English.

bbf5a08d48b77cd90637079e4dd76b4c.png

Who am I? It literally says in my second sentence. "I'm a fan of the project". Fucking learn to read, retard.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I contacted the artist who drew that, figured I'd ask if he drew it for free like everyone else. These guys are too cheap to even hire an artist out of their pocket.

But my dark plans failed. This guy has too low of an IQ to understand simple English.

bbf5a08d48b77cd90637079e4dd76b4c.png

Who am I? It literally says in my second sentence. "I'm a fan of the project". Fucking learn to read, retard.
the question isn't directly asking your identity but more "i don't have the obligation to entertain this random idiot's question"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom