Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk - parodic fantasy tactical RPG - now with Back to the Futon DLC

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Not terribly much free time atm, but I will probably buy it on Sunday or sth when stuff settles down. I am starved enough to pay full for anything that doesn't have massive red flags at this point.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
only 1 quicksave slot and cannot save while running (movement is quite awkward everything pauses movement including rotating camera or highlighting items) + can save in middle of combat but manipulating rng seems to be ineffective which is a good thing imo. Everything is very clunky double clicking item does not equip need to click once then select equip.
Dialogue does not have any pause would be nice to have an option to click for next dialogue
nightmare seems to be rng loadfest, everything is very inaccurate Ogre has around 20% without support
attack -> CrItIcAl FaIlUrE -> injure -> need item to remove. Wasteland 2 jamming flashbacks and other game which I don't remember anymore where critical failures were tilting. There is after a while new mechanic which gives some powers depending on how unlucky your party is (attack 1 extra time for example)
Combat might be quite fun (not enough encounters yet to say) and characters seems to have some customization options looks like agility is probably the best stat for melee (accuracy + dodge + block)

Going to play more tomorrow and write proper "mini-review"

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It is a shame that the codex doesn't play/talk more about this game,it is right up our alley. Tho it is very unpolished and janky,still the combat is fun and hard,there is a bit too much rng garbage tho. The writing for me is really entertaining. There is some pretty poor UI decisions as Jermu pointed out. But generally the game feels like an actual TableTop adventure with friends. Everyone is an asshole and acts their character well lol. I am chapter 3 and having a blast. I would recommend giving it a try yo cunty pseudo rpg players!

Last edited:

Bara

Arcane
Well this is a pretty fun game though I've barley started it.

If anyone curious about the answer to the rotating statues near the monk guy

Look at what the statues face as you turn them. Though it's pretty easy to luck into it via random rotation.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
So how are the puzzles?
Quite easy, there is 1 puzzle I have not figured out and Im in chapter 4 (spinning statues in 2 different areas). There is not too many puzzles probably around 1 each area or less.

Some "fun" game mechanics and notes:
1) Traps respawn every time you re-enter area (fun fun) and thief detection walking speed is very slow.
2) Few softlocks in/out of combat
3) Resource management is not really required with injuries and potions you can just run back to inn which restores everything for cheap price.

Changed nightmare difficulty to epic which is second hardest (out of 4) and combat seems to be a lot smoother. Critical failures were driving me insane and large aoe spells which one shotted nearly whole party. It is somewhat fun game but some design decisions were very poor.

Enjoying character customization even when it is quite simple (2 attribute points, 1 passive and 1 active skill each level) and Im probably going to finnish this game. Most likely Im at around half point (maybe less because nightmare was more time consuming than most of playthroughs game should be around 40 hours long.

Also there are some references to other rpgs such as this
UBwgE0v.png

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It is not going to surprise anyone but this (french) game is in the middle of internet drama right now in France.

The game has been reviewed by various sites. The scores it got are rather... split ? Some scored it average, but Canard PC which is pretty much the best magazine around who has its article behind a paywall gave it 8/10, praising that they bothered to make an actual game and it worked most of the time, providing quite an enjoyable experience. JVC, the biggest french review site gave it a 12/20. Canard PC criticized the french voice dub, which put side to side french acting talents and stupid youtubers for 12 y.o. One of these is a retard called Benzaie.

The female reviewer of JVC blamed the inappropriate & annoying humor, but didn't insist on that. Most of the review described just an average game.

People got pissed at the JVC review, calling the reviewer a SJW, accusing the website of giving it a bad grade because it didn't receive corruption money.

Benzaie got involved and started mocking JVC, praising the Canard PC review although he pretty much got shat on in it. He probably didn't read that, though, as this mention of him is behind the paywall.

In the middle of this, is your usual drama about Naheulbeuk humour being appropriate, inappropriate, or just having not aged well.

Codex Year of the Donut
It is not going to surprise anyone but this (french) game is in the middle of internet drama right now in France.

The game has been reviewed by various sites. The scores it got are rather... split ? Some scored it average, but Canard PC which is pretty much the best magazine around who has its article behind a paywall gave it 8/10, praising that they bothered to make an actual game and it worked most of the time, providing quite an enjoyable experience. JVC, the biggest french review site gave it a 12/20. Canard PC criticized the french voice dub, which put side to side french acting talents and stupid youtubers for 12 y.o. One of these is a retard called Benzaie.

The female reviewer of JVC blamed the inappropriate & annoying humor, but didn't insist on that. Most of the review described just an average game.

People got pissed at the JVC review, calling the reviewer a SJW, accusing the website of giving it a bad grade because it didn't receive corruption money.

Benzaie got involved and started mocking JVC, praising the Canard PC review although he pretty much got shat on in it. He probably didn't read that, though, as this mention of him is behind the paywall.

In the middle of this, is your usual drama about Naheulbeuk humour being appropriate, inappropriate, or just having not aged well.
what does this have to do with elf titties?

Harthwain

Magister
I agree that the humour is annoying. It's very low quality and it is served to you non-stop. It's one of those games that try too hard to accomplish what they aim for, so they end up having the opposite effect. It's either that or I am just too sublime to appreciate it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I agree that the humour is annoying. It's very low quality and it is served to you non-stop. It's one of those games that try too hard to accomplish what they aim for, so they end up having the opposite effect. It's either that or I am just too sublime to appreciate it.
And you are well known sjw on the forum,it makes sense. Libtards can't in to humour even if their life depended on it.

People got pissed at the JVC review, calling the reviewer a SJW
B-but SJWs are everywhere! You can't be too vigilant, don't you know that, comrade?
Hmmm you sound like a butthurt sjw,clearly we need to ban you.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Bought it and surprisingly, there are good mechanics in it : just experienced a funny combo. My Ogre pushed 2 tiles away one opponent directly in the fire and while the ennemy was pushed back, my barbarian striked him twice with AoO. And that is not finished : when pushed in the fire, you loose more HP. The poor guy died shortly after that.
So mechanically speaking, it's an incline.:incline:

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Did anyone managed to lift the dlul curse?

Well, kind of.
]I just went and killed Dlul cultists.
The wizard said that with death of the caster the curse will remain, but the thief is pleased there will be no guards around.
And I got no reward from the sleeping sergeant.
If the game had more complex and sophisticated quest design I would suspect there to be another way to actually lift the curse.
But as it's just a collection of tropes and cliches, I think it is the intended way.

Sarathiour

Cipher

12/20 is obviously very low for a game "journalist", who main gripe with the game is clunky UI and slow animation.

"Inappropriate" humour is virtue signaling at is finest : OC of nahelbleuk was making parody of old fantasy trope : the dark charsimatic ranger is coward who's larping, elf is just a big titties babe, dwarf a greedy cunt, and barbarian and ogre are two dumbfuck who are ironically the most functionnal member of the group.
Of course it would get some flak, because even if it's parody, there are no stronk independent womyn.

JVC is one of the worst hellhole of france regarding forum, so ofc they would focus on SJW instead of talking about the game.

Benzaie is the absolute incarnation of a gaming youtuber, who has interesting take once every two blue moon, and is a perfect retard who won't bother learning mecanic or even opening the manual ( he actually brag about it), if the game is not overhyped (DS) or handholding him.

I think that two big french youtuber ( benzaie and bob) where "invited" to do some voice acting, in order for the game to have free advertising.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
There is not too many puzzles probably around 1 each area or less.
And how many combats per area?
I would say probably around 3-7 if you do side quests also (main quest 3-5, quests 0-3)

Combat gets better with higher levels, turned back to nightmare and this fight was probably one of the most retarded fights I have ever encountered in any rpg

Sarathiour

Cipher
V_K

Why would i be butthurt about this ? If there is a controversy, it's like most of the time just useless noise.

My only interest in this is to know if the game is good or not, the shitshow aside will only make me chuckle at best

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
The striking feature of this game is the drastic absence of niggers and kikes, as well as various other subhumans.
[current_year] even! Financed by tax money!
5/5 stars!

At some point the ranger called the dwarf "moronic". This is now 'risque' culture!

One thing kills the game though and its movement speed in combat. I aint sitting and watching 7 goblins move with their cute animations and sounds.
Its like these fucking imbecilic developers NEVER EVER LEARN. Oh and kill animations..........................

Another hilarious thing is when you zoom in, the camera start to wobble :lol:, like a shaky cam effect. This is so flabbergasting...
Cant disable out of focus blur. Imo the game looks best on the lowest gfx setting but on 'high' texture quality.

This game reminded me of Dungeon Rats... like set fight after set fight.
And also because of one ability-combo in the tutorial: the ogre pushes an ork and ranger gets an attack of opportunity on it.
Reminded me of how you could hammer a guy in DungRats and to avoid him sliding away, you hammer him into an enemy or a wall. So your 2h sword dude could still attack diagonally on a downed enemy.

Tactically, 2 intersting things.
Dodge and parry reduce by 1.5 or 2 after each success so you cant turtle hard.
And overwatch has an area of effect and can be canceled. Dunno how AI responds to turtlling, havent played past 1 fights.

I dunno about the stats... seem very dump'y/op'y

Abliities are on a cooldown and cost stamina, at level 1 you have 100 stamina and 30 cost or so about.

Its interesting but the slow movement is triggering me too much.

Harthwain

Magister
My only interest in this is to know if the game is good or not, the shitshow aside will only make me chuckle at best
It's a decent tactical game. More in-depth on mechanical side than you'd expect. Developers throwing in a feature to counterbalance the bad luck was pretty nice idea. It tries to be funny, but like Nortar said: it's just a collection of tropes and cliches. If you can ignore it and focus on combat, which is where the game really is at, you should be satisfied with it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom